Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Weird West Released

Gargaune

Arcane
No official reason. It might have to do with how Weird West collects telemetry data you can't turn off which goes against GOG's policy:

Bonus fun fact:
every unity game has telemetry enabled by default. There's not even a way for developers to disable it unless they pay money to Unity.

"The need to be observed and understood was once satisfied by God. Now we can implement the same functionality with data-mining algorithms. [...] You will soon have your God, and you will make it with your own hands."

:despair:

Silentstorm

Learned
If you have Game Pass, go for it, i guess i just expected more, particularly after the great reviews...i also thought it was more RPG than it turned out to be, when they say "immersive sim" it's because well...not many RPG chances.

I will say, random events did change a bit, but it's monster ambushes now more than human mooks, aside from that one cult thing where a bunch of NPC's are doing a sealing ritual...for a type of monster i had already killed a few times and one carriage full of dead people and nothing more.

I guess it's one of those "you love it or hate it" games, personally, i am finding it not that remarkable at all, kinda less than the sum of it's parts oddly enough, but i have only tried the first story where you play with a regular human.

Silentstorm

Learned
I think my biggest issue is combat, it's a twin-stick shooter kind of thing but it's an awkward one, you'd think that with so many twin-stick shooters in the world, they would have nailed it, but nope, it's just awkward, sometimes it even felt like i hit enemies by luck rather than actually aiming at them, you do get abilities but it takes ages for the MP equivalent to regenerate unless you drink a tonic, oddly enough, this game would have worked better as a turn based strategy game in my opinion.

Not that the twin-stick shooter combat is a bad idea, it's not, but it's done so awkward and feels bad compared to other actual twin-stick shooters that i can't really say i am the biggest fan of the combat, but it's something i actually wouldn't mind seeing in a Weird West 2, hopefully done better, because as it stands, something turn-based would be more to my tastes.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Bonus fun fact:
every unity game has telemetry enabled by default. There's not even a way for developers to disable it unless they pay money to Unity.

Hmm, I wonder if that's got something to do with the fact that Unity games seem to often stress systems a lot for no good reason? A while ago, my PSU (as I subsequently discovered) was nearing the end of its life. It gave me no trouble with anything else I was running, and I could play quite hefty non-Unity games (Unreal engine games) but Unity games started giving me hard crashes. New PSU, problem gone.

I remember reading up about it on the web and lots of people seemed to have the same or similar problems. Mind you, I suppose it's a good thing that a game can "tell you" that your system has a problem :)

They should have released a demo. I was sceptical when it was first announced because of the isometric/top down perspective. It's not quite what you expect from devs who prior worked on Arx Fatalis, Dishonored or Prey. I'm also not into twin-stick shooters at all. I may be not alone in this.

Still a fascinating game -- still playing character 2 of the 5 though.

Iyou do get abilities but it takes ages for the MP equivalent to regenerate unless you drink a tonic

This is actually one of the things that requires post-release support. There shouldn't be regeneration at all (or it should be optional). I guess for most abilities it is fine, as if you're directly engaged in combat, time is a factor. But as talked about in the RPG discussions forum, "sentry silencer" for the rifle basically is a sniper ability. Rifles have big range. Activate this and your next shot is silenced plus you get big bonus damage.

You can oft hide someplace or climb on a roof and wait for your action points to regenerate and spam this over and over, pretty easily taking out enemy camps one by one. It's one of the more obvious balancing oversights in my book.

Shameless advertising again, but for anybody who agrees, I've raised it in their official feature request and it can be upvoted.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bonus fun fact:

Hmm, I wonder if that's got something to do with the fact that Unity games seem to often stress systems a lot for no good reason? A while ago, my PSU (as I subsequently discovered) was nearing the end of its life. It gave me no trouble with anything else I was running, and I could play quite hefty non-Unity games (Unreal engine games) but Unity games started giving me hard crashes. New PSU, problem gone.

I remember reading up about it on the web and lots of people seemed to have the same or similar problems. Mind you, I suppose it's a good thing that a game can "tell you" that your system has a problem :)

Telemetry, whilst frustrating and questionable, is generally pretty low impact from a performance perspective.

Unity's default scene management is pretty poorly optimised. If you look at games like ATOM that have good performance and loading times (despite being on Unity), they made their own better implementations of many parts of the engine.

Other issue is a lot of Unity devs are plain amateurs who don't know what they're doing and just copy/paste w/e code they find on the Unity forums without really understanding.

That said, all of this is entirely irrelevant to Weird West. It runs on UE4.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hmm, I wonder if that's got something to do with the fact that Unity games seem to often stress systems a lot for no good reason?

AFAIK Unity's telemetry (at least by default) for the games themselves is basically just hardware statistics collection. They used to have it visible to anyone but i think nowadays they made it part of developer accounts alongside other stuff (which is a shame as thanks to its use in many casual games it captured a larger audience than the gamer-oriented one Steam has which is biased towards higher end hardware).

A while ago, my PSU (as I subsequently discovered) was nearing the end of its life. It gave me no trouble with anything else I was running, and I could play quite hefty non-Unity games (Unreal engine games) but Unity games started giving me hard crashes. New PSU, problem gone.

FWIW that was just probably a coincidence and the only culprit was your PSU, in general software (at least software running in user level) should not be able to affect your hardware (unless drivers or the OS have bugs but even then there are -or should be in any decent hardware at least- protections against OSes too at the firmware level).

Viata

Arcane
Other issue is a lot of Unity devs are plain amateurs who don't know what they're doing and just copy/paste w/e code they find on the Unity forums without really understanding.
Obsidian must have a lot them. I tried to play PoE 2 and couldn't stand all that much loading, it took years to do anything in that game, holy fucking shit.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was hoping the procedural aspects were just on the side of main scripted areas. I'll be waiting on more playthroughs/reviews but it is likely to get a purchase well before subverse that gog tossed off the back buy burner and into the old icebox at the back of the barn garage.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Is this actually immersive, in a meaningful way? Interaction with environment, choices mattering in dialogues and gameplay consequences, ability to customize and the customization being acknowledged by the game, etc?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Unless you have the resume to speak for, your argument is ignored".
The "immersive sim" problem is that just reading those two words together doesn't actually tell you what kind of game it is and you need to read a wall of text to describe that it's a game that follows the design philosophy established by Origin and Looking Glass and what those principles are. In contrast to something like Metroidvania where it's "Metroid with RPG elements as first established by Symphony of the Night." Not High Concept at all.

Viata

Arcane

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Do people also call Super Mario World a Marioclone/Mariolike? Holy fucking shit, video game genres is the most retarded shit out there.

It is a Mario sequel.

So is SotN a Metroidvania or since it's just the other-half of the influence a Castlevaniaclone/Castlevanialike?

Yes, it's the establishing game. The previous Castlevania games were not like it.

Viata

Arcane
It can't be the "establishing game" if there is one-half part missing there. What is next, cave story stopped being a metroidvania too? Lootbox Lyfe has no monster at all, still considered a metroidvania. Yoku's Island Express, also considered a metroidvania, and I'm pretty sure there is 0 RPG elements there. Your definition of metroidvania has nothing to do with what people call a metroidvania, it seems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom