Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are games that enthrall you with purely their atmosphere

Semiurge

Cipher
If we accept older arcade-type classics, then Paul Norman's Forbidden Forest. It did so much with so little. Also the first Eye of Beholder.

Then of course there are the more modern classics such as Thieves 1-3 and The Witcher. It's the music and ambient effects, you can't undervalue their importance and how it works with the visuals, if it works.

Iucounu

Educated
Mass Effect 2 has pretty nice atmosphere when it's not popamole and teenage drama.

Hoodoo

Arcane
The games from my childhood mostly I suppose:

Red Alert and HoMM3
Some old console platformers, particularly Spyro

spectre

Arcane
Would mention the Icewind Dales, but they were already mentioned.
Dropping some new stuff, tried to account for nostalgia glasses, so mostly newer shit.

Darkest Dungeon, the graphics play a part too, but the narrator just hits the spot. With the very first "Size has no intrinsic merit, unless inordinate exsanguination be considered a virtue" I knew I was sold.

Return of the Obra Dinn, there is something about how they turned a barely interactive museum tour into a narrative, filled to the brim with details and maritime atmosphere
and all that achieved with (or depsite) their choice of graphics.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps, I have some mixed feelings about part two, but if the atmosphere does nothing for you, I really don't know what to say.

Ghost of Sushimi(?), the game is basically all that, atmosphere. Turn on the kurosawa filter and soak it all up until it (eventually and sadly) the repetitive gameplay gets to you.

Evil Genius. The first one. It's not a great Dungeon Keeper clone, but it really does the bond spoof right to a tee. Straight up from the intro and music.

The Long Dark. Doesn't feel like much on the screenshots, but trust me, it's one of the few games where you can feel the isolation and the frostbite.

Last edited:

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Soul Reaver and Dark Souls immediately come to mind. And Tenchu: Birth of Stealth Assassins.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Amazing Cultivation Simulator I guess.
I mean, why else would have I played this head-banging shit for almost one hundred hours.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a wonderfully atmospheric walking simulator / game with light puzzles. But it doesn't matter—it's pure art and just oozes thick atmosphere in every scene.

RbaS8Sp.png

xxerapL.png

9d8iKJA.png

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I remember vanish.. whatever.. I remember playing it on release and I think I had like 15 fps. The atmosphere is great in that one, never made it far though.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well, play it now, it should be steady 60 fps on current hardware. Play the original, not the "redux" version. Should only take 5-6 hours, but it's a great experience.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Shadow of Tsushima, the game is basically all that, atmosphere. Turn on the kurosawa filter and soak it all up until it (eventually and sadly) the repetitive gameplay gets to you.
Do certain translations use "shadow" instead of "ghost" for Ghost of Tsushima?

spectre

Arcane
Shadow of Tsushima, the game is basically all that, atmosphere. Turn on the kurosawa filter and soak it all up until it (eventually and sadly) the repetitive gameplay gets to you.
Do certain translations use "shadow" instead of "ghost" for Ghost of Tsushima?
No, it's just me being retarded. At least I got the second part of the name right?

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Diablo 1, Darklands, Loom, theres probably a few. System Shock...Quest for Glory (IV mostly, but 2 was cool for atmosphere)...

Ezekiel

Arcane
D2 on the Dreamcast, even though I watched my big brother and barely played it myself. Blond lady crashes in an airplane on snowy isolated mountains and there are monsters for some reason. Think alien rock crashed, after hitting the plane.

Remember it had like five discs, because of the cutscenes. CD cases were nice, should have been used by Sony and Nintendo.

Ash

Arcane
There is no game that atmosphere alone can sway me, but there many games where it is a big part of the reason I love it for sure. I'll aim for my personal top 10 atmospheric games I guess:

Arx Fatalis
Silent Hill
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Darkwood
Manhunt
Final Fantasy 6
Morrowind
Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Doom (PSX version)
System Shock 2

Mostly horror games or games with elements of horror, as horror does atmosphere best.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't think I have ever completed a game based on atmosphere alone. It must have something more for me, I guess.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Diablo 1, Darklands, Loom, theres probably a few. System Shock...Quest for Glory (IV mostly, but 2 was cool for atmosphere)...
Diablo 1 is the quintessential dungeon crawler.
I would also like to add Daggerfall as a proper dungeon crawler.
Great atmosphere, hearing a Lich before you even see it in a dungeon is quite frightening if you are underequipped and too underlevelled to fight it...
Daggerfall dungeons also put many of the modern cookie cutter ones to shame through their sheer size. Talk about gargantuan...

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Diablo 1 is the quintessential dungeon crawler.
I would also like to add Daggerfall as a proper dungeon crawler.
Great atmosphere, hearing a Lich before you even see it in a dungeon is quite frightening if you are underequipped and too underlevelled to fight it...
Daggerfall dungeons also put many of the modern cookie cutter ones to shame through their sheer size. Talk about gargantuan...
Its the whole Tristram/enter the church bit thats always gets me with the atmosphere. The music is great, the body at the church entrance, the descent into the first level. D2 never recaptured it for me, the atmosphere is one of the reasons I still think D1 is the best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom