Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are games that enthrall you with purely their atmosphere

The balls to say NWN. :salute:

Golden Axe
Streets of Rage 1-2
Revenge of Shinobi
Scorched Earth
Ultima VII Black Gate
Space Hulk (dat intro)
Populous III
Dungeon Keeper
Final Fantasy VII-VIII
Parasite Eve
Vagrant Story
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
NFS Porsche Unleashed
Gran Turismo
Mafia
Gothic 1-2
ELEX
Morrowind
Thief
Kenshi
Fallout
VtM Bloodlines
Sanitarium
Blade Runner
LBA 1-2

...just off the top of my head.

Hobknobling

Learned
Space Hulk (dat intro)
Talking of great intros, looks like XCOM: Enemy Unknown hasn't been mentioned yet. The very successful remakes/sequels are decent games, but the original is head and shoulders above them when it comes to the atmosphere. Just a different level of oppressive paranoia and horror compared to the plasticy look of the new games.

Raptor: Call of the Shadows is another classic which I have always adored for the atmosphere even though the game itself is not very good in my opinion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom