Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are some RPG's that reward you for being a low-level at a certain part?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Did wotc work closely with them when they were making this? It came out like a month after 3.5e books were published

You might need to ask Roguey , I'm not the authority on dev cycles. I may have read somewhere that Troika were forced to change ToEE from 3.0 to 3.5 late in the dev cycle, and I have seen traces of D&D 3.0 in the files.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Did wotc work closely with them when they were making this? It came out like a month after 3.5e books were published

You might need to ask Roguey , I'm not the authority on dev cycles. I may have read somewhere that Troika were forced to change ToEE from 3.0 to 3.5 late in the dev cycle, and I have seen traces of D&D 3.0 in the files.

They took it upon themselves so they could have more time. From the post-mortem
About one full year into the schedule, we amended the deal to add two additional months to update the rules to 3.5 Edition D&D and add additional content, which put us at an August 1, 2003 completion. We delivered the final product on August 30, so we came in ultimately at almost one full month late.

I think our decision to add two months to the schedule was critical to the development of the game, not only for adding the 3.5 rules into the engine, but for the extra time it gave us to polish our art, add in the tutorial and put in all the encounters and try to balance them.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Its a retarded statement and you know it.

No, it isn't. And YOU know it. However, I don't want to argue about popamoles, least of all Elder Scrolls ones.

Lhynn

Arcane
No, it isn't. And YOU know it. However, I don't want to argue about popamoles, least of all Elder Scrolls ones.
Jesus, you have gotten even dumber since the last time we argued.

Spending 5 minutes hitting the same enemy you killed in 2 strikes 40 levels ago because the enemy scales to your level is just crap. Oblivion is quite simply the worse of the elder scrolls.
Also Morrowind, despite of your uninformed opinion, is not a bad game.

deuxhero

Arcane
In Morrowind Caius calls you a noob and gives you some money to go train with if you talk to him and too low a level.

On the reward side, a few of the trainers he directs you to will also give you gifts if you go to them before leveling up a lot.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
If you insist on arguing...

Spending 5 minutes hitting the same enemy you killed in 2 strikes 40 levels ago because the enemy scales to your level is just crap.

Get gud? My point was that its level scaling unwittingly keeps the "challenge" up, not that it isn't crap. Morrowind is challengeless and Skyrim loses all challenge after the first few levels (because its scaling is capped).

Oblivion is quite simply the worse of the elder scrolls.

It's actually the least worst.

Yosharian

Arcane
In FF8, there's an actual strategy that involves 'carding' enemies in order to gain no xp at all from fights, thus allowing you to eventually reach the last disc at something like level 7, whereupon you can start leveling up except with double attribute gains, resulting in massively overpowered characters once you're finished. And the game is actually easier to run through while you're low level because enemies scale with your level, while the magic you gain provides static bonuses.

Of course, FF8 isn't an RPG, so it doesn't really fit your criteria...

Lhynn

Arcane
My point was that its level scaling unwittingly keeps the "challenge" up
Wrong, its not more challenging, it just takes longer.

Morrowind is challengeless and Skyrim loses all challenge after the first few levels (because its scaling is capped).
A thing being challenging isnt inherently good, there are well designed challenges and poorly designed ones, ill take no challenge over a whole game of poorly designed ones.

It's actually the least worst.
This is wrong, but arguing with you is the equivalent of arguing with the average redditor. Think what you will.

Lhynn

Arcane
In nwn you would get more exp the stronger the enemy compared to you. That meant that leveling up diminished the experience gain, so not leveling up was a great way of racking up exp.

Skdursh

Savant
Basically all of them. I can't think of a single RPG that is more enjoyable at higher levels than they are at the beginning, with the possible exception of getting out of that very first level.

Bro, do you even RPG? Arx Fatalis, Dragon's Dogma, Gothic 1 & 2, Mount and Blade, Might and Magic VI/VII/VIII, Geneforge series, Kenshi and most DND based games in general... There are many, many RPGs that start out kind of "meh" and get really, really enjoyable once you start to acquire more power.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
In nwn you would get more exp the stronger the enemy compared to you. That meant that leveling up diminished the experience gain, so not leveling up was a great way of racking up exp.

Wrong again. You can't level squat in NWN or NWN2. You can only level squat in IWD2 and ToEE.

Sykar

Arcane
, unless stats requirements prevent you from using it. Bad design is an item being useless as by the you get the necessary stats, there is generally better loot, i.e. the item being useless even if you go through the hassle of getting it at a lower level.

This made me rage in Diablo 2:

QNDBK87.jpg

That it only gave +1 to barb levels?
:troll:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Spending 5 minutes hitting the same enemy you killed in 2 strikes 40 levels ago because the enemy scales to your level is just crap. Oblivion is quite simply the worse of the elder scrolls.

Even if you use OOO to mod the scaling into something acceptable it's still the worst Elder Scrolls game since the setting is so bland, the faces so ugly and the dialog so atrocious. I'd even say it's the worst Bethesda game, since Fallout 3 beats it by a smidge I guess.

Note I never played Arena.

Lhynn

Arcane
Wrong again. You can't level squat in NWN or NWN2. You can only level squat in IWD2 and ToEE.
Perhaps i am, i remember it happening in every server i played in. So maybe it was a problem in a certain patch or because it added a certain pack.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Perhaps i am, i remember it happening in every server i played in. So maybe it was a problem in a certain patch or because it added a certain pack.

Or perhaps, you know, you're just flat-out fucking wrong as usual?

Lhynn

Arcane
Or perhaps, you know, you're just flat-out fucking wrong as usual?
Stop being so buttmad and retarded Lilura, you sound more and more like a woman.
The most probable cause was that because they had custom xp rates the script that gave you the exp tracked your current level, instead of the experience you had accumulated.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Mods don't count. You were wrong. Just admit it.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dark Souls rewards you constantly for being at a lower lvl, by simply being more punishing.

Academagia sometimes rewards you with a higher bonus when you pass a skill check with a very low-trained skill, and when you end a scenario, you get a stat boost that will make it easier for you to train some skills later to pass the exams.

I'm not sure it counts, but NEO Scavenger does reward you with superior eye-sight if you start with myopia, and you make it all the way to the hospital (and have the cash for it).

I can't think of anything else, it's very late here.

Cat Dude

Savant
I don't know if fallout 2 is supposed to be hard or if my character sucked, but back when i played F2 years ago, i was dying in every random encounter and also triggering random encounters on every step in the world map.

It was the very definition of reload simulator.

Nah all RTWP games are reload simulators.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom