Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are your Top 10 RPGs?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don’t think I’d call it bad, but I thought Divinity 2 (tDKS) was a bit... dreary, for the lack of a better word.

Krivol

Magister
Zed Duke of Banville , where is your list

Octavia , remove me from iggy bin and post list, crybaby

IT HAS BEGUN!

Onlookers-damage-pogrom-store-Jewish-Berlin-Kristallnacht-Nov-9-1938.jpg

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
1. Dark Souls
  • Great music, great atmosphere, really good worldbuilding with NPC's mysteriously vanishing and reappearing, minimalistic tone, optional secret levels, addictive online play. Completely blew my mind when I played it for the first time. Sames goes for Demon's Souls, but I decided to go with Dark Souls, because of
    Gravelording
2. Baldur's Gate 1
  • I love low level DnD, so that's why 1 will take the spot. Baldur's Gate 2 of course is a far bigger package of the same quality, but it certainly was missing the spirit of actually "adventuring". Also, BG1 companions, even though they were as minimal as it possible can get, had much more soul than the companions from 2. And BG2 was seriously lacking companions with some unique personalities like Xzar or Montaron.
3. Diablo 1
  • I still prefer Diablo 1 over Diablo 2, even though I wasted much more time on this game back then. While Diablo 1 is oozing with atmosphere and more relaxing gameplay, Diablo 2 just takes the cake with replayability, builds, character creation, and so on. Runewords were a disaster though (fuck Enigma).
4. Fallout: New Vegas
  • I love the Fallout setting, and New Vegas did everything it could to be as faithful as possible to the original Fallout series with the means given to Obsidian. Fallout and Fallout 2 could be also on this spot, but since New Vegas is the only game I replay nowadays, New Vegas takes the spot.
5. Shin Megami Tensei IV
  • This game could have been my game of the century if it wasn't for the complete ass balancing, respectively the serious drop in challenge at the end (if you cut the optional DLC bosses and Fiends), and the technical limitations of the 3DS. Other than that, this game is pure kino. It's a wild ride from start to finish, and is one of the very few games that has a lot of "wtf" moments, just like Demons Souls and Dark Souls have.
    Story spoilerxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    It's impossible to top the aesthetics of Under the Dome Tokyo in this game. Fight me.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Top 10 are hard to do.
FFS, I instantly put forward a top 20. Then I hem and haw and cut down 5. Then I wriggle, glare, giving it the hairy eyeballs, and finally cut down 5 more for top 10, a very unreasonable selection.
But that's the point, how do you decide if a game is #9 or #11 on your list? It's extremely hard and can change day by day...

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Top 10 are hard to do.
FFS, I instantly put forward a top 20. Then I hem and haw and cut down 5. Then I wriggle, glare, giving it the hairy eyeballs, and finally cut down 5 more for top 10, a very unreasonable selection.
But that's the point, how do you decide if a game is #9 or #11 on your list? It's extremely hard and can change day by day...

you guys may be overthinking this, it's not like your life depends on the perfect top 10

Vatnik Wumao
Top 10 are hard to do.

you guys may be overthinking this, it's not like your life depends on the perfect top 10
Not to mention that any such grading always has a subjective factor attached to it, so whatever rank you might give it is closely tied to that particular point in your life.

pidstuff

Educated
Top 10s are serious business on the Codex. The content of yours will determine whether or not your future opinions will be discarded or not.
:troll:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:hmmm:
Now that is a surprise,didn't expect Lilura to have played whole 10 games,i am impressed.

It is hard to make a list when there is that many good games out there. There is whole franchises that could make the list,like MM,PB games,Avernum and Geneforge,etc etc.

1.Drakensang:River of time
2.Deus Ex
3.Might and Magic 6
4.Gothic 3
5.Torment
6.Arcanum
7.Underrail
8.Geneforge.....maybe 5
9.BG2
10.Shadowrun HK/Dragonfall

Cat Dude

Savant
In no particular order:

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Mask of the Betrayer
BG2
BG
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Dark Souls
SW: KotOR
Xenoblade Chronicles
Dragon Quest VIII
The Witcher 3 (except for the fact that in the main story they ruined Geralt, basically making him a baby sitter!)

Dragon Quest XI (the story is great, the gameplay and characters less so)
Dragon's Dogma (the gameplay is great, the story and the characters less so)
Pathfinder: Kingmaker (would have been better without the kingdom management system)
Radiant Hystoria: Perfect Chronology (story and characters are great, the gameplay (fighting) less so)
SW: KotOR 2 (has some interesting parts, like the ability to influence followers, but there are many problems, like the existence of G0t0, the loss of the manichean phylosophy, which is a major betrayal of what star wars is, and more)
Age of Decadence (the end is too abrupt)

Too many more...

Edgy 40 years old Codex elitists : Hey there are japanese games in your list. Disgusting! This is blasphemy!

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
In no particular order:

Mask of the Betrayer
BG2
BG
Dark Souls
Xenoblade Chronicles
Dragon Quest VIII
The Witcher 3 (except for the fact that in the main story they ruined Geralt, basically making him a baby sitter!)

Pathfinder: Kingmaker (would have been better without the kingdom management system)
Radiant Hystoria: Perfect Chronology (story and characters are great, the gameplay (fighting) less so)
SW: KotOR 2 (has some interesting parts, like the ability to influence followers, but there are many problems, like the existence of G0t0, the loss of the manichean phylosophy, which is a major betrayal of what star wars is, and more)

Too many more...

Codex elitists : Hey there are japanese games in your list. Disgusting! This is blasphemy!
I agree,jap RPGs are disgusting garbage!

EldarEldrad

Savant
In no particular order:

1. Planescape: Torment
2. Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game
3. Might & Magic VI: Mandate of Heaven
4. Baldur's Gate
5. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
6. Wizardry I: Proving Grounds of Mad Overlord
7. Knights of the Chalice
8. Anachronox
9. Geneforge 2
10. Temple of Elemental Evil

Marte1980

Novice
In no particular order:

Mask of the Betrayer
BG2
BG
Dark Souls
Xenoblade Chronicles
Dragon Quest VIII

Too many more...

Codex elitists : Hey there are japanese games in your list. Disgusting! This is blasphemy!
Yeah, this kind of sweeping generalizations are always sign of knowledge and deep thought! I mean, everyone knows that "Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions" == "Dragon's Dogma".

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
They can be fun sometimes, but for the most part, they're not really RPGs because you can't make any real choices in them.
So if you've got some linear weebshit on your list placed above any Troika game (for example) then it is a pretty shitty RPG list.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Like I said in the OP, you don't have to rank the RPGs in your top 10. Just list what RPGs you think are in the top 10.

Top 10s are indicative (or symptomatic) of your taste in RPGs. Or your agenda.

They don't make or break a poster, per se, but they can certainly give other posters confidence in you, make them suspicious, or cause them to write you off completely.

I'd say there are "tolerances":

* Those of Fallout Interplay, Troika, Sir-Tech and Black Isle pedigree can have one or two popamoles max, and they should be Deus Ex and/or System Shock 2. With New Vegas in there, you cheapen yourself. Vampire Bloodlines is borderline.

* No one of such pedigree would even consider a Bethesda game other than perhaps Daggerfall.

* Oblivion or Fallout 3 in the list? Instant write-off. Same goes for post-NWN BioWare.

* BG2 but no BG, Fallout 2 but no Fallout? Write-off.

* It is impossible for one of such pedigree to have current gen RPGs on their list, with the exception of Age of Decadence. MotB is about as modern as one can reasonably go.

* jRPGs are out as are Diablo and Diablo 2 as well as any Diablo clone.

* Some pre-1995 RPGs are fine but loading the list up with old Wizardry and Ultima screams super-thick poindexter nostalgia goggles, and possible dementia. Same goes for blobbers other than a select few.

These points are not exhaustive; they only point the way and indicate who to bend the knee to.

Last edited:

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Also depends in your beliefs, I mostly play chronologically making few exceptions and obviously I don't consider games I didn't finish (A reason why Darklands wasn't in my list, I was half way to the end but some bugs killed part of my progress and not long after my hard drive passed to a better life :cry:).

Marte1980

Novice
Like I said in the OP, you don't have to rank the RPGs in your top 10. Just list what RPGs you think are in the top 10.

They don't make or break a poster, per se, but they can certainly give other posters confidence in you, make them suspicious, or cause them to write you off completely.

I'd say there are "tolerances":

* Those of Fallout Interplay, Troika, Sir-Tech and Black Isle pedigree can have one or two popamoles max, and they should be Deus Ex and/or System Shock 2. With New Vegas in there, you cheapen yourself. Vampire Bloodlines is borderline.

* No one of such pedigree would even consider a Bethesda game other than perhaps Daggerfall.

* Oblivion or Fallout 3 in the list? Instant write-off. Same goes for post-NWN BioWare.

* BG2 but no BG, Fallout 2 but no Fallout? Write-off.

* It is impossible for one of such pedigree to have current gen RPGs on their list, with the exception of Age of Decadence. MotB is about as modern as one can reasonably go.

* jRPGs are out as are Diablo and Diablo 2 as well as any Diablo clone.

* Some pre-1995 RPGs are fine but loading the list up with old Wizardry and Ultima screams super-thick poindexter nostalgia goggles, and possible dementia. Same goes for blobbers other than a select few.

These points are not exhaustive; they only point the way and indicate who to bend the knee to.

Right, so you don't see any contradiction between this and what you said in the opening post?!

This is a friendly thread in which everyone can freely list what they think are the best RPGs. Don't be shy.

mk0

Learned
Huh?

What?

I'd say there are "tolerances": <snip>

What is this garbage I'm reading?

:whatho:

In no structured order, just some RPG's that i love up to this day and hold in high regard, personally:
1) Deus Ex 1
2) Might & Magic 6: Mandate of Heavens
3) System Shock 2
4) Risen 1
5) Wizardry 8
6) Gothic 1
7) Might & Magic 1: Secrets of Inner Sanctum
8) Icewind Dale 1
9) Dark Hearts of Uukrul
10) Avernum 1 (and remake of it by same studio)

Here some games that i want to complete at some point to form my opinion about them (Darklands, Geneforge, etc), so i will not add them here, just as great games (Dungeon Master 1~) that i completed very recently...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom