Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What difficulty are you playing on and how do you fare? (Poll)

What difficulty are you playing on and how do you fare?

• I play on easy and it is piss easy (duhh)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I play on easy and it is challenging for me (please kill me)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I play on normal but it is not too challenging

Votes: 41 15.6%
  • I play on normal and it is just the right difficulty for me

Votes: 33 12.6%
  • I play on hard but it's not that hard

Votes: 104 39.7%
  • I play on hard and it is challenging

Votes: 37 14.1%
  • I play on Path of the Damned and it is not that difficult

Votes: 25 9.5%
  • I play on Path of the Damned and I'm sweating blood here

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • FFS J_C, leave us alone with your stupid polls!

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

Coyote

Arcane
Started playing on Hard, rerolled on PotD after a few hours, and I just reached Act 3 yesterday. (I haven't had much time to play for the last couple of weeks.) Some other difficulty-relevant factors:

-I'm playing a rogue, which seems to be a very powerful class, and am otherwise using only the provided NPCs in my party.
-I'm pretty overleveled from exploring everything.
-I use spells conservatively and typically only camp when when fatigue becomes a nuisance. I've boosted everyone's athletics to at least 3 (because otherwise they get fatigued way too quickly), so it takes a while for that to happen.
-I avoided benefiting from the save/reload stat increase bug before it was patched out by stripping characters of modals/equipment as necessary.
-I haven't been doing the full party opening salvo thing that everyone recommends, nor tanking with one characters while everyone else shoots, as I've found these tactics to be ineffective. (Well, maybe "ineffective" is the wrong word, but they're slow and tedious compared to other tactics that achieve the same level of success.)

So far what I've found is that the difficulty is heavily concentrated in the early areas, with almost everything after Caed Nua being a cakewalk - but man, is that early difficulty a bitch. For example, take the the shadow/phantom encounter in the main keep at Caed Nua. This was next to impossible for me after beelining there at level 3, and and it was still pretty damn tough at level 4 with some more equipment from exploration:

• Because of the buffed enemy accuracy on PotD, phantoms have a decent chance of chain-stunning Eder to death within a few seconds even with Wary Defender active and a defensive buff from Durance; this is almost certainly a TPK with no other tank. Suppress Affliction didn't seem to have any effect on the stuns.
  • Because of spirits' high defenses, your attacks and debuffs will miss more often than not at that point.
  • Phantoms/shadows have a relatively high DR for that point in the game against all but burn damage, so even when your attacks do land, you're not going to be thinning out their ranks very quickly (and if you get Aloth to torch them, they'll swarm him after - or frequently during - a single casting, which usually misses half of the ones who remain in the AoE anyway).
  • And then of course there's the infamous teleportation, which makes casting spells rather tricky.

I'm sure that inexperience with the combat system played a role here, of course, as well as what areas I had and hadn't yet explored and the fact that I'd used up some of my scrolls/consumables on earlier encounters. My point isn't that the battle is too hard, but rather that PotD makes the early difficulty spike posed by spirit enemies even more salient.

In fact, I'm rather disappointed that nothing else has posed nearly so much of a challenge since then. After crafting/enchanting stuff and picking my levelup abilities specifically to beat this battle, I've never needed to go to such lengths of preparation again. I've barely used any potions/scrolls/traps for the past 3-4 experience levels. The only fights that have forced me to deviate significantly from my standard tactics were that talking fampyr and his death guards on level 8 of Od Nua, that locked room full of spectres/cean gwla/menpwgra on level 10, and Nalrend the Wise (the ogre bounty in Elmshore). There's a whole lot of bland filler combat, and very little that's actually engaging.

Other observations:

• Because battles tend to last longer on PotD, chanters have more opportunities to make use of their invocations, and fighting to regain focus is more of a factor for ciphers (albeit a very minor one with a decent blunderbuss).
  • PotD encourages using abilities more tactically in early levels - For example, reserving abilities for more powerful enemies or using weak debuffs that reduce a defense first so that a stronger one has a better chance of connecting - rather than just spamming abilities at the beginning of battle as generally suffices on hard. However, this has been much less of a factor since reaching level 6-7, as most of the areas available during Act 2 seem to be designed for a lower-level party. Hopefully things will get more interesting once enemies catch up with my party's levels again.
  • Mental Binding is overpowered as fuck, even with PotD's boost to enemy defenses; I can only assume that it's escaped nerfing so far by virtue of Mind Blades having originally been so broken that people overlooked the other level 2 cipher powers. As a level 5 power requiring 30 focus it might be reasonable, but right now there's almost never any reason for Grieving Mother to cast anything else when she's in my party, and it renders the vast majority of encounters downright trivial.
  • Aside from the encounters mentioned above, the toughest encounters up to this point have continued to be the ones against spirits. Adventure party fights have been pretty disappointing; as long as you have some way (prone, paralysis, stuck, confusion, Shadowing Beyond, etc.) to get past their front lines and take out the casters quickly, they don't pose much of a challenge.

Overall, I don't know whether to be glad or annoyed that I chose to play on PotD; filler encounters on Hard might be even more mindless, but at least they'd go by faster with fewer enemies/lower defenses. In any case, my main advice to anyone playing on PotD would be to just be aware of that difficulty spike on the critical path when deciding how to spend your limited early crafting materials.

Lhynn

Arcane
Playing on PoTD, third restart since i always end up quiting for days after getting to defiance bay because chapter 2 is too easy, full of trash mobs and i already own torchlight 2.
Hopefully this time my class selection and full array of non retarded (custom made) companions will get me tru it. Game is easy, but i dont really care, i know most gamers are shit at their hobby, what i do care about is the stupid amount of things i HAVE to kill to advance. Leave me the fuck alone you assholes, i have no idea who told you that commiting suicide against me is a good way to go.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am close to finishing the game on Hard. For my second play (also with companions but without Aloth and Durance) I am not sure if I should play it on PotD or PotD + Ironman.
I was first planing to do Hard + Ironman but that would not be a hard as well considering I barely had to load the game on Hard while playing not 100% seriously and not knowing what is coming.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
So far what I've found is that the difficulty is heavily concentrated in the early areas, with almost everything after Caed Nua being a cakewalk - but man, is that early difficulty a bitch. For example, take the the shadow/phantom encounter in the main keep at Caed Nua. This was next to impossible for me after beelining there at level 3, and and it was still pretty damn tough at level 4 with some more equipment from exploration:

I also made a beeline for the companions on PotD (fighter tank/dps hybrid as PC). I did not level up my PC so I had a lvl1 PC and lvl2 Aloth, Eder, Durance, Kana in my party when entering Caed Nua. The fight against the 4 shadows/phantoms is a bitch yes, but it can be done. You need to set up a choke point, right when you enter the keep put your party members into the corner to the right, equip everyone with ranged weapons, have Eder pull with a bow (so only 4 are pulled, not all six) and then block access to the party. The shadows also can't teleport to your squishies because there's no place to teleport to. Of course Eder can't survive the beating so you have to use withdrawal (lvl1 priest spell on him) , reserve all your priest spells for this you will need them all because the fight takes a while. For the other 2 shadows use the same strategy.
The actual problem arose when fighting Maerwald. Only after leveling up Eder and Aloth to 3 to get the defender modal and 2nd level spells for Aloth did I defeat him.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Maerwald dies to 4 shots from heavy weapons. If you have 3-4 arbalests or just a mix of crossbows with some arbalests and guns, you can one-shot him right after combat starts. He is a wizard after all. There are extra elementals on PoTD but they don't pose as much difficulty as him fireballing you.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Maerwald dies to 4 shots from heavy weapons. If you have 3-4 arbalests or just a mix of crossbows with some arbalests and guns, you can one-shot him right after combat starts. He is a wizard after all. There are extra elementals on PoTD but they don't pose as much difficulty as him fireballing you.
That is what I did :D

A horse of course

Wizards are ludicrously weak to heavy ranged opening salvos. Even the final boss can be forced into the second stage of the fight by your first volley.

Coyote

Arcane
I also made a beeline for the companions on PotD (fighter tank/dps hybrid as PC). I did not level up my PC so I had a lvl1 PC and lvl2 Aloth, Eder, Durance, Kana in my party when entering Caed Nua. The fight against the 4 shadows/phantoms is a bitch yes, but it can be done. You need to set up a choke point, right when you enter the keep put your party members into the corner to the right, equip everyone with ranged weapons, have Eder pull with a bow (so only 4 are pulled, not all six) and then block access to the party. The shadows also can't teleport to your squishies because there's no place to teleport to. Of course Eder can't survive the beating so you have to use withdrawal (lvl1 priest spell on him) , reserve all your priest spells for this you will need them all because the fight takes a while. For the other 2 shadows use the same strategy.
The actual problem arose when fighting Maerwald. Only after leveling up Eder and Aloth to 3 to get the defender modal and 2nd level spells for Aloth did I defeat him.

True. "Next to impossible" was poor wording. Practically anything in the game can be beaten by sticking Eder in a chokepoint, pulling selectively, and/or spamming Slicken/Mental Binding/Repulsing Seal/etc., of course.

Edit: Though I'm curious, could they not attack your other characters once Eder was withdrawn? I tried using Withdraw like that at some point, thinking it would work like Sanctuary in BG, but enemies would go right through the withdrawn character.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
didn't have equipment, so only Aloth had a crossbow, Kana an arquebus he starts with and the rest hunting bows. It didn't work, tried several times.

Edit: Though I'm curious, could they not attack your other characters once Eder was withdrawn? I tried using Withdraw like that at some point, thinking it would work like Sanctuary in BG, but enemies would go right through the withdrawn character.
No, he still blocked the path, except he was invisible and healing up, so the enemies could'nt get to my characters.

Last edited:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
As I said, currently a PotD game running with PC being hybrid tank/dps fighter. That means I have the defender modal on and picked wary defender as well, 18 might, 16 DEX, 16 Per and 16 Res as stats. Now, what to go for (melee weapons), 1 handed, dual or two-handed? Since you tend to miss a lot on PotD I thought perhaps using a one-handed weapon (+12 acc) would be a good idea. But what weapon type would be best? Sabre? Hatchet for +5 defense? Seeing the pitiful damage the character does so far I'm really regretting not taking rogue again.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted

Tigranes

Arcane
POTD, three characters, 25% XP required for levels mod. This seems to be a good setup for me right now.

Starwars

Arcane
I've just started up a Path of the Damned playthrough with a Monk. These earlier parts of the game really feel more difficult overall but yeah... PotD so far feels a bit more like what I would like Hard to feel like, just feels-wise without going into details. Of course, now I also know where to go so I can avoid getting my face bashed in (holding off the Temple of Eothas for a bit) but still.

And unfortunately, the inevitable difficulty drop comes later on. But, since I'm not exactly a kung-fu shaolin gameplay master like some people here, I can definitely see myself having trouble with some fights later on on PotD, keeping in mind my experience with Hard difficulty.

Bah

Arcane
Started on POTD with a monk from day 1. I don't get much time to play, so I'm only about half way through act 2, but once I got to the city, combat difficulty dropped way off. This game is most definitely easier on POTD than most IE games and I am by no means a metagamer.

Edit: I think a lot of folks who gripe about POTD difficulty don't take advantage of potions or scrolls. There is so much money to be had in this game, that you can pretty much afford to buy everything you see and not sweat the cost. That only serves to make the game even easier.

Atchodas

Augur
Overleveling is not a problem , Encounter Design is. So cutting quest exp down wont make a difference . You just wont ever reach final build to play with it for atleast 25% of the game what should be mandatory in every game like this imo .

ArchAngel

Arcane
I did almost all content and quests except for bounty quests and I got to lvl 12 only near the end so I would say XP is good in this game. Only bounty quests are the problem here.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I got right up to the end (still going with the expert/POTD/No Knock Outs), but decided to try to complete the Paths of Nua before finishing. I might just finish the game to get the no knock out achievement, then complete paths of Nua after that with the option of taking knock outs, though.

Spirits are making me rage too hard.

My level 12 party can cut through any enemy like butter at this point, but spirits are just insanely overpowered. There's like a group of 10 of those white banshee things on level 10 that can paralyze your entire party and warp all over the place...combined with two druids in the back possessing party members and spamming lightning. I can beat them fine with knock outs, but it's just too much of a headache to protect my squishy mage from getting downed when some random spirit suddenly decides to teleport near him at the end of the battle. At the same time, I can't do the battle without a mage as their group paralyze spells are too important.

Engagement system in this game kind of sucks as it makes re-positioning mid-battle very difficult. You have to rely almost exclusively on stun and paralyze type spells to get away from anything without dying, which is a pain.

EDIT: nevermind, I got through.....by using the cheesy "have one character chug a fleet of foot potion immediately after engagement, then run away" trick which makes half the group follow you and half the group turn back.

Last edited:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
you're not using the dankest spells if you're having problems with spirits. The dankest spell in the game is a lvl6 cipher ability called Amplified Wave. Then there's some lvl6 cleric spell that gives everyone an electrical aura that zaps nearby enemies. So, if some shades teleport to your squishies they will die a few seconds later from being zapped by several party members. The druid call lightning spells (lvl3 and lvl5) are also very potent. But the point is: Amplified wave->shoot blunderbuss->Amplified Wave->shoot blunderbuss, repeat until encounter defeated.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That electrical aura is such pathetic damage for such a high level spells. There are better things to cast in combats that last so short you only get to cast like 3 to 6 spells.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
It looks like it's pathetic damage at first glance, but enemies in the vicinity get zapped by everyone of your partymembers. 6x10 =60, without you having to do anything, every 3 seconds or so. Certainly not a spell you would cast frequently, but for a situation as described (spirits rushing the squishies) certainly useful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom