Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What drove BG3's success, game mechanics or emotional engagement?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The fact that you personally dislike swear words does not translate into the writing being bad or "quirky". You're simply trying to pass off your personal taste as some sort of objective criticism of BG3's writing quality.
I am usually against swears, but there are two games where swear words felt on point for me was The Witcher (the whole series, actually) and [PROTOTYPE] (the Web of Intrigue has some characters swearing, and quite a lot, in fact). But that's probably because the delivery was perfect so the whole dialogue felt natural as a result.

The "alack, thou hath cometh for a quest, brave knight" shit always seemed like a failure of imagination in fantasy settings to me (sorry Richard).
Interestingly enough, there was a different language used in the court of England (French) and the common folks were using something completely different. The "high and mighty" manner of speech can have some sense in that context. It usually is not too entertaining. However, I did like Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption's approach; adding an "old word" here and there in the medieval era. This also provides great contrast when Christof awakens in the modern era and Pink the Punk is his companion who explains the new world to him.

Imagine how much the Elder Scrolls would suck if all the Dunmer were like "thou hath come to yon land of Morrowind, traveller, and we doth not take well to outsiders here". It's way more fun to have them run at you yelling "STOOPID" and a bunch of made-up slurs.
N'WAH!

I would argue The Elder Scrolls didn't need old medieval manner of speech, because races had different ways to highlight their cultural differences. Dunmers have foreign words thrown in here and there, Argonians and Khajiit have different perspective, while Nords and Orcs have their own mannerisms in the way their speak. All in all, I think it was the best possible way of doing this.
KnightsWhoSayFuck.jpg

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I also pretty much dispise the use of modern swear words or swear words in general. Doesn't matter if you can show some of the ones we use today were also used in the middle ages. Nothing says "modern day talk" like the use of swearing. I hated the Witcher too for that as well.
Your mother sucks dwarf cock

Agreed about swearing though, I can't think of many examples where it didn't throw me off. It amazes me how many writers sound like wannabe edgy 15 year olds

Iucounu

Educated
I've read that Hundsfott (vagina of a dog) was a popular Germanic insult in the Middle Ages, can someone here confirm? :obviously:

kigmathelm

Literate
If they used Hundsfott it would be great. I guess modern audience is used to consuming approachable, familliar content, like toddlers usually are. That's why every character in the game looks and acts like (s)he does TikTok videos in spare time.

Laz Sundays

Educated
Everybody curses, time has nothing to do with it. You're confusing it with the quality of writing.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Clearly, all RPG characters should speak as though they were in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales:

This duk, of whom I make mencioun,
When he was come almost unto the toun,
In al his wele and in his moste pryde,
He was war, as he caste his eye asyde,
Wher that ther kneled in the hye weye
A companye of ladies, tweye and tweye,
Ech after other, clad in clothes blake;
But swich a cry and swich a wo they make,
That in this world nis creature livinge,
That herde swich another weymentinge;
And of this cry they nolde never stenten,
Til they the reynes of his brydel henten.

:M

Laz Sundays

Educated
Theatre of Tragedy made that shit sound sexy. There's always a way but not everyone has the skill to.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The fact that you personally dislike swear words does not translate into the writing being bad or "quirky". You're simply trying to pass off your personal taste as some sort of objective criticism of BG3's writing quality.
I am usually against swears, but there are two games where swear words felt on point for me was The Witcher (the whole series, actually) and [PROTOTYPE] (the Web of Intrigue has some characters swearing, and quite a lot, in fact). But that's probably because the delivery was perfect so the whole dialogue felt natural as a result.

The "alack, thou hath cometh for a quest, brave knight" shit always seemed like a failure of imagination in fantasy settings to me (sorry Richard).
Interestingly enough, there was a different language used in the court of England (French) and the common folks were using something completely different. The "high and mighty" manner of speech can have some sense in that context. It usually is not too entertaining. However, I did like Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption's approach; adding an "old word" here and there in the medieval era. This also provides great contrast when Christof awakens in the modern era and Pink the Punk is his companion who explains the new world to him.

Imagine how much the Elder Scrolls would suck if all the Dunmer were like "thou hath come to yon land of Morrowind, traveller, and we doth not take well to outsiders here". It's way more fun to have them run at you yelling "STOOPID" and a bunch of made-up slurs.
N'WAH!

I would argue The Elder Scrolls didn't need old medieval manner of speech, because races had different ways to highlight their cultural differences. Dunmers have foreign words thrown in here and there, Argonians and Khajiit have different perspective, while Nords and Orcs have their own mannerisms in the way their speak. All in all, I think it was the best possible way of doing this.
KnightsWhoSayFuck.jpg

This fat faggot is partially responsible for ruining fantasy forever.

I have half a mind of thinking part of the success of BG3 is that despite it's faggotry it was still a cheerful sort of fantasy as opposed to the dark, miserable, depressing, sadistic, nihilistic and degenerate filfth that was Game of Thrones.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

N'WAH!

KnightsWhoSayFuck.jpg

I have half a mind of thinking part of the success of BG3 is that despite it's faggotry it was still a cheerful sort of fantasy as opposed to the dark, miserable, depressing, sadistic, nihilistic and degenerate filfth that was Game of Thrones.
I have no issue with a setting being dark, miserable and depressing, but not excessively so.
GRRM is almost edgy in a teenage way with his depiction of violence and absolutely retarded characters who are so blatantly and capriciously evil seemingly just to fill an evil character quota.
That and him keeping the rape faucet running at full nearly always.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

N'WAH!

KnightsWhoSayFuck.jpg

I have no issue with a setting being dark, miserable and depressing, but not excessively so.
GRRM is almost edgy in a teenage way with his depiction of violence and absolutely retarded characters who are so blatantly and capriciously evil seemingly just to fill an evil character quota.
That and him keeping the rape faucet running at full nearly always.

The few times i tried to watch the thing i was appalled at the degree in which everything that was noble and ideal was shat upon and derided.

The series isn't just dark, it's downright satanic in it's messaging.

boot

Prophet
... I liked the first season of Game of Thrones. Sean Bean is the man.

Harthwain

Magister
after the watching the scene where Arya stabs the fat stable boy, I was shocked how bad it was. I never recovered
There was a bunch of stuff that made me wince - even in Season 1 - but I enjoyed most of it. I didn't really watch much of it after that (I generally wait for DVD versions), so I can't tell when exactly it goes downhill so much it is really not worth watching the show anymore.

song of ice and fire is totally awesome, the TV show sucked complete ass though
The first two or three seasons of the show are extremely accurate to the books, the only major difference I can think of is making Robb a more central character and giving him a POV, which I don't think is a bad change.

The show gets bad around the point the books start dropping in quality, the fourth and fifth books are a complete boring slog.

Rhobar121

Scholar
The quality of the series dropped when they decided to completely give a damn about the books and do everything their own way.
This was also the moment when the author decided to back out after they decided to cut out one of the characters.
Everyone can see how it ended, from that moment on they probably didn't even work on anything big.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
I
I love Karlach and I like her speaking style because it's way preferable to the "pray, from where dost thou hail" shit that sometimes ends up in FR games (and is usually itself applied inconsistently as fuck too - BG1 has some lines written in that faux-medieval style, and other lines where people sound like they're straight out of the 1990s).
I think karlach crosses the line. shes one step away from being all "totally radical dudes, lets go surf some monsters waves"

Best advice I can give anyone is to just kill her on the first meeting, game will be better for it. Do the same with Gale. Those two companions simply add nothing.
I feel that way about all of them. Im thinking about trying a run where I just pick up the silent NPC types. I thought I might bring the others on last run to get a bit of that BG2 style banter but its the worst and you get forced into their cutscenes these days, even if you try to not say anything to them. Its like everyone else is the (terrible) protaganist.

Achdulieber

Literate
Politics and sexual fetishism for everyone.
MASSIVE marketing campaign.

Surprisingly, nobody could or would explain the story of the game to me in a few sentences, imagine that. And I asked a lot during these last months. What is this game about? How does it end? What's some funny characters or situations that we will fondly remember 10 years form now? Nobody knows, but everyvbody wants me to buy the game. Very weird. I'm glad it's blown over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom