Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Shadenuat

Arcane
That's actually true, SS 2 respawn system is quite wonky and enemies quite often spawn from places you cleared just seconds before or simply spawn behind your back. And sometimes you can even see "magical sparkling teleportation effect" when they spawn.
Exactly the thing I was talking about, yup.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I think System Shock 2 is miles ahead of any Bioshock game. It's so much better that it makes you think on how games can go backwards instead of working on their strengths:
Eh i enjoyed Bioshock more than System Shock 2. SS2 is still a good game, but i think both System Shock 1 and Bioshock are better.

DeepOcean

Arcane
In the cargo bays I had 6 spawn on me in 1 minute. Everytime 1 died another spawned on me... annoying as hell. That was part of why I quit playing. There was nothing scary about the enemies... it felt like a stupid MMO where it tries to crush your soul by forcing you to grind pathetic shit constantly for the sole reward of having to grind different shit.
Nah, on impossible you don't gain anything from them, so killing them is pointless, you just waste resources with enemies that are best to run from. I did that section, the cargo bays and shuttle area don't respawn enemies, only the corridors and there are laser turrets that you can hack and kill all of those motherfuckas for you. On contrary to MMOs, those motherfuckas are far from helpless.

MetalCraze

Arcane
That's actually true, SS 2 respawn system is quite wonky and enemies quite often spawn from places you cleared just seconds before or simply spawn behind your back. And sometimes you can even see "magical sparkling teleportation effect" when they spawn.
Exactly the thing I was talking about, yup.

"Seconds" are exaggeration. But SS2 is the only action game where respawn grew on me. It works there. If it wasn't there you could feel safe. Can't have that.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It worked better than in some other games, but I don't think it's the most fair design or way of making game more difficult. Naturally, if there are enemies spawning, something should spawn them (teleporters, nests, or maybe they start going through doors leading into level). And if you can hack turrets, I believe you should be able to hack a door to make it shut for a time to give yourself breathing space.
Still it wasn't game changer for me, cause game was honest - "deal with it, or die", unlike THAT OTHER game where you can be brought back to life infinitely and whack all problems with your super life-leeching wrench.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I hit the problem with Blood Bowl where all of my opponents have the same TV as mine, but their players are 2-3 levels higher. If I play them all they do is spend the entire gaming trying to injure my players and I can't do much about it. It is just boring as hell. I can still sometimes win because they don't give a shit about the ball, but that doesn't matter when half my team is permanently injured. If this keeps up I will just stop playing because what the fuck is the point when opponents just want to be asshats.

Machocruz

Arcane
Dead Space 3. Yep, I enjoy this popamole series. Good for what it is. This isn't as good as 1 or 2, and they made a horrible decision in incorporating human enemy combat and Press X to crouch behind waist high barriers in the early game. Once you get into space it's the usual DS fare, amped up, and with some decent weapon crafting to spice things up. Has all the flaws of these games: predictable monster closets, lack of enemy variety, derp story. Graphics seem lesser than the first game in some way.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Dead Space 3. Yep, I enjoy this popamole series. Good for what it is. This isn't as good as 1 or 2, and they made a horrible decision in incorporating human enemy combat and Press X to crouch behind waist high barriers in the early game. Once you get into space it's the usual DS fare, amped up, and with some decent weapon crafting to spice things up. Has all the flaws of these games: predictable monster closets, lack of enemy variety, derp story. Graphics seem lesser than the first game in some way.
I really don't like the way they portray religious people in the series, most religious dogma is irrational bullshit but religious people are intelligent enough to realize that fucking puke inducing monsters that kill everything they see aren't the way to go and the markers making them crazy is too convenient.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I could be insane but Minerva's Den seems a lot better than the main Bioshock 2 game so far. Much larger level with a lot more twisty paths and open areas. Story is decent and not too in your face. Challenge seems higher, I get brutes and such constantly in my way and really have to use my different ammos to defeat them. Assuming you have vita chambers off it's pretty fun stuff.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/569046

jebmW1.jpg

Has a 2deep4u story, but it's mostly on the background (literally) and the game is short enough that it doesn't become a bore, should take you 15 minutes or so. I found it interesting in how it subverts some expectations the platforming genre has trained me to have. Protip: when you reach the part that looks like something out of I Wanna Be The Guy, experiment instead of bashing your head againt the concrete for ten minutes like I did.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Been playing GTA IV in preparation for GTA V, for a game about stealing cars and shooting people, it is pretty shitty about it. Very few guns and you can't get your car back if you are forced to abbandon it, what happens in alot of missions. What really annoys me are four things: 1)Most missions are just a waste of time, there are some good popamole shooting sections but most missions are just repetitive chasing sequences with generic gang/mob member on car or motorcycle or going to a certain place and kill 5-8 generic gang/mob members, 2)Niko has zero initiative, doing boring bullshit for boring/annoying characters, you first have to save Roman's ass than become the bitch of every gang/corrupt cop/mob member of the city. Hey, this rasta and puerto rican lady are cool, no, you have to do missions for a boring irish stereotype family for now on. 3) The story only start making sense now and I think I'm near the end, everything you do before is just random bullshit. 4)I can't kill Roman, the Jar Jar Binks of the GTA series. I'm seriously thinking on jumping straight to the DLC.

Do it, Gay Tony is leagues better. Lost and the Damned has its moments as well. It's like someone jumping into the Assassin's Creed franchise and skipping 1 because it's a boring slog.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Warband, whenever I have time. Playing pseudo-ironman because I forget to save, lose hours of progress when I make a stupid mistake, ragequit and start a new game. Fun as hell.

Wulfstand

Prophet
I'm currently playing Escape from Butcher Bay (Assault on Dark Athena's grapically enhanced edition), and the game's a blast. I seem to have grown to enjoy games with good voice acting more and more, having previously played through the Legacy of Kain series.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Almost finished Arx Fatalis for the second time. Got the itch to replay it because of the Arx Liberatis mod (makes it run perfectly smooth on 2560*1440 resolution) and I wanted to be less dependent on the guidebook this time. Turned out it's an awesome and atmospheric trip by playing it slowly and carefully.

Unfortunately, the latter third part of the game is so lacking in directions and some of the levels are just boring to play through and shows design fatigue. The ratmen area is plain boring hack & slash area without any interesting features and enemies. For the lack of directions, I don't need quest compass, and in fact the game most of the time gives clear clues on what to do next if you talk to the right NPC. However several critical information aren't explained anywhere at all and you're basically forced to run around blindly or do random things to luck out your needs:

- The game told me to find a dragon egg, but did not give any clues at all for where to find an egg or a dragon. If I didn't read the guidebook, I'll need to travel up and down all 8 levels levitating everywhere to just bump into them.
- The treasure hunt quest's clues are buggy. One clue got half-clipped into the ground, and one other gives a completely wrong clue (it hinted to go to level 4 but it's actually level 3; btw this is written correct in the German version). Once again, if it wasn't for the guidebook, it's impossible to find go to the next step.
- You can give two artifact rings back to a certain NPC to get an artifact shield and trigger some special story part. But the game doesn't hint at it at all and there's actually no valid reason to give the rings to that NPC, especially since these artifacts were given to you by her in the first place.
- The dwarven mines, while possibly one of the best survival horror gaming experience, is nevertheless not perfect. The idea of being chased by an invulnerable, insta-gibbing monster while trying to use the environment to kill it is nice, but executing it by combining with a cumbersome control scheme, hard to see levers and other mechanism, and the worst part: branching corridors that can lead to dead ends, is a recipe of pure frustration (without a guidebook that is).

No wonder that I've read somewhere that even Arkane admitted the game lacks proper ingame documentations and a good guidebook is necessary to enjoy it to the fullest.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Finished Minerva's Den. Other than some EMOTION HERE stuff at the end it was basically just more Bioshock 2, so I don't know what reviewers were fucking gushing over.

Gurkog

Erudite
If there was a female character in a lead role... that is probably why. People need to stop praising the stories told through shitty journals and audio tapes left laying around in convenient places.... it is lazy shit.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Just finished Waking Mars, all endings. Brought a big ol' smile on my face. A pleasant surprise, a really enjoyable indie that was developed for *gasp* touch-screen devices first (or at least I think it was).

Grim Monk

Arcane
Decided to play Darksiders since I’ve had it lying around since that per-bankruptcy "THQ Humble Bundle".
The first two segments were really boring, but it becomes fun once you start acquiring new abilities.

I really like the look the of most of the environments, "Drowned Pass with the ruined apartment buildings half submerged in the water" for example.

Steam achievements seem to be broken.
I got the first five, but after that the game stopped registering them.
Even the story ones that come from beating the bosses.

But I don't :P really care...

Gurkog

Erudite
Finishing up 5 skulling maps in Orcs Must Die! 2. I only have 1 left, the classic finale map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom