Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Repressed Homosexual
Wow, Heroes 5 looks like absolute garbage. Those cutscenes are so stupid, even the ones in Sacred 2 are less ridiculous, and they're made to be stupid on purpose.

Shame that they did away with the hexes in that one, I thought it only happened in Heroes 6.

I don't like some of the changes it looks like they made to the formula.

Repressed Homosexual
Heroes 5 is turning out to be a much better game than I thought with some nice touches.

Too bad about these graphics, they're so bad. It makes it hard to see a lot of what's on screen.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Replaying Deus Ex for the first time in several years and enjoying it a lot. Going back to the original game from Invisible War, which I completed just a few months ago, makes me appreciate it even more.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Persona 3 portable. The megaten series is infuriating as usual, especially the annoying fusion level limits, the ultra annoying randomization of the inherited fusion skills (which just leads everyone to cancel the fusion and then retry again until you can see the fucking thing), the way that leveling up a persona on fusion (due to social links) can make online fusion charts go haywire since persona level affects the result, and most especially the fucking absurd prices for buying personas from the violet room compendium which makes you need to plan a 40 step fusion campaign to not go broke making a mid-high level persona.

Oh, and the 300 floors dungeon, business as usual for megaten.

:negative:

Last edited:

Quilty

Magister
Mac version of King of Dragon Pass. I feel dirty but the port is gloriously polished.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
So when autumn comes my prefered genres and themes changed to something different.
Fueled with news about Thi4f fueled with hilarious PR bullshit)...

This time with Thief Gold with Tfix based on suddenly released patch for Thief 2, which happen about year and half ago.

Tried Thief 2: Metal Age year ago with Taffer patch but gave up in 3/4 - that was propably mission with capturing some VIP from Mechanist.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Started up FF6 again after listening to Dancing Mad. That music brought back a flood of memories...

Currently level 20 and just rescued Mog. Heading to the Esper land's gates.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Currently playing Jagged Alliance.

I tried to roleplay a nice, law abiding mercenary leader, so in my first attempt I decided to not include any ex-cons, (ex-)terrorists or other unsavoury types that did not live up to the high moral standards (and ability to speak English) expected of my team.
So I went with a team of dorks (Speck, Kaboom, Hurl) and young, promising mercs (Grunty, Hector), led by stealthy Snake.
I found it too difficult so I restarted with Ivan, Fidel, Vinnie, Speck, Hurl, Grunty and Hector.
In my first game I only captured two new sectors; now I captured three, so that was an improvement. I was shocked that nice, polite little mama's boy Hurl was (most likely) killed by Fidel!
So on day 2 I replaced him with Fox. But I found I needed two medic; one field medic and one back at camp. Fox is no markswoman, so I needed a field medic. That meant Hector had to go. But firing Hector meant his doctor buddies Needle and Doc Koolhan demanded double pay to join up, so I had to make do (he's quick mentally, but slow physically) with Bob Adams instead.

I love the game so far. The only thing I dislike about it is that too much time is spend finding your enemies. It can get a bit tedious when most of your guys is in the field and you can only move them 5-10 steps per turn.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Playing through VTMB for the second time. Played it once years ago but never finished it; gave up in sewers, I was playing a Toreador with little to no combat skills, so this time I've made a Brujah focusing on hand to hand combat, with a minor in persuasion and hacking. I remember the atmosphere being good, but it really is some of the best in any game. There are so few games set in modern, real cities, and Troika nailed the filthy, depraved underside of a city. Stuff like the security guard in the apartment complex selling surveillance footage of the residents, or the psychotic prosthetic surgeon. Feels like you're wandering around in a Jim Thompson or James Ellroy story. Only game that comes close to this style is Man Hunt - it's a real shame more games don't explore this kind of urban horror. The graphics may be stuck in that limbo of not quite realistic because of tech limitation but not fully stylized, but stuff like the characters faces hold up surprisingly well - I'm shocked at how expressive the faces are, to the point where I'd say they're better than the shit I see in modern games like Mass Effect or any Bethesda shit.

Also there is some genuinely funny shit in the game, nice contrast to the emo darkness. I convinced a guy that the blood packs I had were unicorn blood, and that by transfusing them with his blood he would cure his vampirism - sold them to him at a high markup. Profit. Also that radio station, the night talk show. Holy shit I was cracking up. Funnier than anything I've heard in the GTA games. Too bad there doesn't seem to be much of it.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Playing through VTMB for the second time. Played it once years ago but never finished it; gave up in sewers, I was playing a Toreador with little to no combat skills, so this time I've made a Brujah focusing on hand to hand combat, with a minor in persuasion and hacking. I remember the atmosphere being good, but it really is some of the best in any game. There are so few games set in modern, real cities, and Troika nailed the filthy, depraved underside of a city. Stuff like the security guard in the apartment complex selling surveillance footage of the residents, or the psychotic prosthetic surgeon. Feels like you're wandering around in a Jim Thompson or James Ellroy story. Only game that comes close to this style is Man Hunt - it's a real shame more games don't explore this kind of urban horror. The graphics may be stuck in that limbo of not quite realistic because of tech limitation but not fully stylized, but stuff like the characters faces hold up surprisingly well - I'm shocked at how expressive the faces are, to the point where I'd say they're better than the shit I see in modern games like Mass Effect or any Bethesda shit.

Also there is some genuinely funny shit in the game, nice contrast to the emo darkness. I convinced a guy that the blood packs I had were unicorn blood, and that by transfusing them with his blood he would cure his vampirism - sold them to him at a high markup. Profit. Also that radio station, the night talk show. Holy shit I was cracking up. Funnier than anything I've heard in the GTA games. Too bad there doesn't seem to be much of it.

That was the first and last time that I saw that kind of expressive facial animation. For some reason, modern engines are really shitty at animating faces or people don't know how to do facial animation right.The writing, the voice acting and the music. Shit, you made me wanting to replay it again. It is terrible to like things that aren't successful, I'm still waiting for a good cRPG with that atmosphere and incredible writing.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Still playing Skyrim.
Skyre overhaul seems good at first, the perks are variant enough, but Fire Mage build seems to have downsides.
I stopped playing once I hit level 40.

Now I'm restarting with Orc warrior with zero magic. Focusing on just physical combat and shouts.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've been playing Bloodlines again the last week as well, off and on. It does hold up well other than the shitty 3rd person aspect.

Installed Redneck Rampage today and by god is that game terrible. Just terrible.

Got a random impulse to download the hot abandonware title from "Groove Games" called Pariah, a 8 or so year old shooter from Digital Extremes I never played. It's fucking terrible beyond imagining and you should forget it ever existed.

Still slowly working my way through NOLF and Thief 2 again at my leisure.

It is amazing how much better Brutal Legends looks on the computer. Everything pops compared to the muddy, somewhat faded look I remember. Combined with the always awesome art style and it's a treat for the eyes. Haven't gotten to the RTS section but they *have* to control more naturally than on the 360, right? Right?

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
RFemboB.jpg

First world problems! :P
I think I might have one last try at the NWN2 OC - I've never played MotB, as I want to finish the OC first, but all my previous attempts have, predictably, ended in ragequits.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
RFemboB.jpg

First world problems! :P
I think I might have one last try at the NWN2 OC - I've never played MotB, as I want to finish the OC first, but all my previous attempts have, predictably, ended in ragequits.
Dont do that to yourself. I was once as young and naive as you and managed to get to act III before the dullness managed to suck all my will to play Neverwinter Nights at all, thats why I couldnt even play MOTB after it.

Heresiarch

Prophet
I actually enjoyed the OC, especially enjoyed the siege.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom