Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Finished Dark Souls, I think. Started a ng+

The bed of chaos and those damn archers in Anor Londo were the most annoying parts, but overall it was pretty awesome. level 100 when I killed the final guy

Somehow a guy invaded my game while I was using an offline profile. Kicked his ass for 30k souls.

:4/5: would bang again

Anyway, started Alan Wake, only at the 2nd car wreck so far. Story is mediocre at best (ripping off Steven King, imo). The wife creeps me out with her static head and flapping jaw. The first time uncanny valley has ever done that to me. She seems to be animated like a ventriloquist's dummy. The environment is well crafted and looks pretty. Sound uses 3D effects well. So far the game is way too linear with unning through corridors 3 npcs wide. Giving the player weapons to fight shit kills a lot of the tension.

Sub par horror game so far. :killit:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Primordia. Engrossed from the first seconds, seems like adventure games are some of the few types of games still able to do that for me. Fantastic art design; Giger-esque industrial done right. And the music is reminiscent of some of Tangerine Dreams work, so that's another mark in the games favor. I think I read that some reviewers had complained about the games difficulty, but so far most of the puzzles have been logical (though how to get the bomb to attach to the door was a bit strange...). A combination of humorous and grim atmosphere and writing that actually works without feeling cloying, makes me think whoever the writer was really liked A Canticle for Leibowitz.

:5/5: will buy more these peoples stuff

Repressed Homosexual
I had a similar Black Cat kind of impression with I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. It truly falls flat and is insipid, grating, and stupid. Codexers from the adventure forum are still sore because I dared to post my honest impressions there.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
WELL BROS PLAITING LOTS BUT NOT SETTLEING

DID PAINKILLER FOR A BIT AND SERIOUS SAM THREE BUT DONT KNOW IF I CAN FINISH SERIOUS 3

STARTED AVERNUM AND GETTING USED TO IT

HIGHLY TEMPTED TO START UP DARK SOULD AGAIN I HAVENT SEEN THE DLC PART YET

Repressed Homosexual
Also I finally got Heroes of Might and Magic without getting killed all the time. I'm complaining the campaign in 2 (skipped the first) and I am having a great time.

Might and Magic just has such a wondrous lighthearted atmosphere, it never fails to bring a smile to my face.

This kind of thing is truly dead today, and it makes me really sad. There will never be anything else like it ever again, with the same intelligence and flair from New World Computing.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I had a similar Black Cat kind of impression with I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. It truly falls flat and is insipid, grating, and stupid. Codexers from the adventure forum are still sore because I dared to post my honest impressions there.

Codexers aggressively state their opinions and call others' into question? Shocking.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Also I finally got Heroes of Might and Magic without getting killed all the time. I'm complaining the campaign in 2 (skipped the first) and I am having a great time.

Might and Magic just has such a wondrous lighthearted atmosphere, it never fails to bring a smile to my face.

This kind of thing is truly dead today, and it makes me really sad. There will never be anything else like it ever again, with the same intelligence and flair from New World Computing.
Yeah I'm playing MM6, and I just adore its atmosphere and the universe it takes place.

Gurkog

Erudite
Started Desu Ex: Human Revolution.

Fucking intro where you can't control your character for like 5 minutes during a tour of the facility. So far I don't care for any of the characters. The piss filter is ugly as hell too... why can't games function without a shitty blue/green/orange/yellow filter!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
One Unit Whole Blood.
A lot better compared to last try (that was propably 8 years ago) with "no music" version. GOG version with sountrack it's now a blast.
Now I know why I've never liked Doom or Quake on the first time - my playmates (whose give me those games to try) didn't have versions with music. Not sure why and never bother to ask.
But it need some work to play on my netbook without framerate drops to ~5 in Low Power Mode.
Strange, lot of newer games (till 2005 I mean) don't made such a problems...

iqzulk

Augur
One Unit Whole Blood.
A lot better compared to last try (that was propably 8 years ago) with "no music" version. GOG version with sountrack it's now a blast.
Now I know why I've never liked Doom or Quake on the first time - my playmates (whose give me those games to try) didn't have versions with music. Not sure why and never bother to ask.
But it need some work to play on my netbook without framerate drops to ~5 in Low Power Mode.
Strange, lot of newer games (till 2005 I mean) don't made such a problems...
GOG version uses DosBoX, right? Then here is your answer: it's using an emulator. Hence - the performance issues.
Well, I don't know the specs of your netbook (or the specs of any netbooks for that matter), B-BUT here is some general info (or at least how I understand it):
1) DosBoX uses only one core. So, if you have three core processor with, say, 2 GHz per core, only the "2GHz" part matters for DosBoX performance.
2) As far as I know, there are two ways to somewhat improve your performance when using almost any "heavy Dos" game under DosBoX (well, that is, not including setting 320x200 in the graphics options):
a) Using dos32a stub for Blood .exe files instead of dos4gw stub. Refer to this post for example of how it's done (you need only step 6, the one that's {optional}).
b) Compiling sdl.dll and dosbox.exe on the exact same machine you will try to run it later (in this particular case - on your netbook). Here is the guide explaining how it's done (and there are also numerous guides elsewhere explaining in even greater detail how exactly to compile sdl under MinGW, just google it). Note, that you don't need to know anything about actual programming in order to do it, you just need to follow a couple of relatively straightforward, even if cumbersome instructions. Also, not covered in the aforementioned guide, but in order to get sdl.dll compiled, I also needed libpng for whatever reason. Swap the sdl library and dosbox.exe (as well as a couple of additional files as explained in the guide above) from GOG release with those compiled by you.​
3) Blood is a relatively demanding in regards to requirements while running under DosBoX (it's however much LESS demanding than Battlespire in high-res and a bit less demanding than Quake under DosBoX), but using these two modifications, you'll make the game smooth and playable in 640x480 for something like a 1.5-1.66+ GHz CPU. And Shadow Warrior (the original version) will be smooth as baby skin under the same circumstances.

Also, what music exactly are you referring to? Blood actually has two different soundtracks: CD-quality soundtrack and MIDI-soundtrack. Which one do you mean?

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Blood is the only Dosbox game I know of that runs like shit on higher resolutions. Duke and Shadow Warrior both run fine.

The long-awaited DaggerfallXL is based on the "XL Enging," which will supposedly run Blood as well. Might want to wait for that. Though you might die before it releases if you're over 30.

Gurkog

Erudite
Finished the OC of Alan Wake. Not sure if there are different endings based on collectibles found, but the end sequence was retarded with my 81%. The story, animation, combat for gameplay was all shit. If they used only the flashlight/flares as a method of impeding enemies while dashing for the next light source it might have been a great horror game. I played on the highest default difficulty and had way more ammo than needed to kill everything. There was too much trash shit.

mediocre game at best, :2/5:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I keep putting off Alan Wake because I know I won't like it, but I want to like it.

I gave up on Witcher 2, too soon for a replay. I'll try again shortly before 3 comes out, I guess. Switched to Bloodlines... haven't played this fucker at all with the fan patches, so I guess I have something to look forward to here. Went with Wesp's because people seem to think it's the better of the two. Loving it so far.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You'll conclude Alan Wake is shit within fifteen minutes so might as well fire it up.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Grand Theft Auto V on the PS3, just last night i blew Zuckerberg's head off with a remote cell phone bomb and filmed Miley Cyrus having anal in some hotel's backyard... glorious Rockstar.

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
Putting Legend of Grimrock and Papers, Please aside to find out what the fuss is about with GTA V. My first console game since 2009. Hope my PC doesn't realize I will be cheating on it.

spekkio

Arcane
FnJSncn.jpg

:flamesaw:

Gurkog

Erudite
Started the Alan Wake Epilogue chapters and it is finally where the game should be for a horror shooter. Ammo isn't in abundant supply and managing light is a big deal. If it was this way in the original campaign I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Machocruz

Arcane
Dragon's Crown

Beat the final boss on normal. Early on, I was thinking of going for Platinum trophy, but it's not worth the time investment now. In fact, I think I'm done with the game. I sadly have to admit it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. It's not the ultimate fantasy brawler it looked to be. Revenge of Death Adder is more enjoyable than this - better usage of animal mounts, livelier stages with NPCs, clearer on-screen action. I think you see non enemy characters maybe twice in the combat section of the game. It feels dead, and it goes against fantasy brawler tradition. Classes are redundant too. One too many fighters, and there should have been a proper cleric character instead of a wizard AND a sorceress. I rolled with an Amazon, who is fun to watch and is the best DPS character in the game, but is also a glass cannon which doesn't jibe with the aggressive manner in which you are supposed to play her. And now they nerfed her to be even more delicate, so I have to change my approach. More parrying, which can be hard to do since the screen turns into a mess when multiple players are on the screen. Maybe a different class would be more satisfying and boost my opinion of the game, but as it stands the core is just pretty good. The audio-visual presentation makes it seem more than it actually is.

Repressed Homosexual
Yeah Alan Wake is pretty bad, the only thing it has going for it is good modeling of a northern village and surrounding forests

I'm still playing Heroes 2, on Roland's campaign. Mission 9 was really long and hard, it took me hours. And now the final assault looks crazy with all those heroes and Crag Hack with a 10 of attack power. I still don't know how I will take Crag Hack down.

I hadn't spent hours glued in front of a screen playing a game like that for years.

Repressed Homosexual
I thought I was well developed, and then the purple player arrived and killed Roland's team with a party comprising 11 bone dragons and 59 royal mummies.

Man is the AI dumb in this game, it always follows the same patterns.

Gurkog

Erudite
Played some Torchlight 2, Portal 2, and Defense Grid to get the cards so I can sell them for spare $. Now I have to play HL2, Sol Survivor, Europa U3, etc... Hopefully I will collect enough change to buy something interesting during the winter Steam sale.

Repressed Homosexual
I give up for now, it's too frustrating. I'm not going to spend many hours on more days on this. I will try other games, and I'll try put my save game aside and try to come back to it when I'm a better strategy gamer.

arx fatalis +arx liberaris?

dear god what a fucking turd. i couldnt believe that creators of dark messiah could make game whit such a shitty combat. fighting two small goblins or one big orc with short sword in first fucking dungeon is such a pain in the ass. game with great promise but shitty execution.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
When is Arx Libertatis going to kill the fog wall for fuck's sake.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom