Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Gregz

Arcane
If storyfags were to insist in writing like that of Torment there would not be 'storyfags' at all as Torment is pretty much one of the high points in videogame writing. I would rather say they 'want' that kind of writing yet don't really 'insist' on it that much. Beggars can't be choosers, etc.

If they insist on something, but don't get it, it results in the rampant bitching we have here ITT on the Codex. So while I don't disagree with your point, on reflecting you may not disagree with mine.

iqzulk

Augur
Only 6 levels left in Marathon 2. Enough for today.

BTW, am I correct to assume, that M∞ is the most stylish (even if incomprehensible at the same time) and atmospheric of all the three games? Like, do the game and all of its texts actually go completely off the deep end, like "Gheritt White"/"ashless fire"/"spectrograms of dying screams"-style (which would be awesome)? Does it maybe even turn into some kind of cosmohorror about encounters with the incomprehensible? Or am I expecting a bit too much?

Or to put it another way: is M∞, basically, Marathon's own version of DooM 64?

Frankly, I am really hoping for the game to push that cryptic weirdness thing to the absolute max and go completely batshit fucking crazy without any compromises. Like, the entire game to basically be one giant "Gheritt White" copypasta, only in a gamey form. Although I kinda doubt they actually did that.

Also, knowing that M∞ is supposed to contain the best, most complex and confusing levels in the series is really reassuring. Even though I'm already a bit scared of that infamous Acme Station.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Arcane
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl with Oblivion Lost Modpack. A very good and truly atmospheric First Person Shooter with a thrilling, internally consistent world that makes more justice to the post-nuclear theme than most post-nuclear CRPGs or Popamoles released after 1997, while adding its unique Eastern European flavor* to it.

*May include so bad it's good voice acting and poorly done translations.

PS: With mods it also features nearly as many AK variants/clones as Jagged Alliance 1.13

:M

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
STALKER series gave me the most fun I have ever had in a single player shooter.

I was answering with straight shooters, not genre hybrids. I consider STALKER an FPS and RPG hybrid.

If we're including hybrids Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the best shooter of the past few years by far.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
How is Stalker even coming close to RPG genre?
There's no level ups, no experience. All you pick up are a bunch of armor, movement spd enhancing anomalies, etc.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There's no level ups, no experience. All you pick up are a bunch of armor, movement spd enhancing anomalies, etc.

I got STALKER on Steam recently and was wondering the same thing. I honestly thought it was a mistake, and not the first time I've noticed something similar, The Longest Journey is also tagged as an RPG on Steam. :?

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012

Don't need skill choices or level ups when the gear, artifacts and weapons all have stats and affect your character enough that equipping them can be considered "building" your character. I'm pretty sure there are levelless pnp systems out there. You can role-play a rocket launcher wielding exo-suit murdermachine which is akin to choosing a warrior class, or you can take the rogue equivalent of wearing sound dampening leather armor and using a silenced SMG, and further variations.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Fuck that, everything has some RPG elements now. Even Saints Row 3 is more of an RPG than Stalker, with its XP and levelup system. Weapons have stats in every shooter out there, just because you can't see the numbers doesn't mean they aren't there. If you make the bar of what determines a hybrid that low, almost every recent shooter is one.

Also DX:HR is far from the best shooter of recent years. It may be a decent game, but the shooting mechanics themselves really aren't that good. Far better stuff out there.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Don't need skill choices or level ups when the gear, artifacts and weapons all have stats and affect your character enough that equipping them can be considered "building" your character. I'm pretty sure there are levelless pnp systems out there. You can role-play a rocket launcher wielding exo-suit murdermachine which is akin to choosing a warrior class, or you can take the rogue equivalent of wearing sound dampening leather armor and using a silenced SMG, and further variations.

I see.

grumpy-cat.gif

Continue.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Fuck that, everything has some RPG elements now. Even Saints Row 3 is more of an RPG than Stalker, with its XP and levelup system. Weapons have stats in every shooter out there, just because you can't see the numbers doesn't mean they aren't there. If you make the bar of what determines a hybrid that low, almost every recent shooter is one.

Also DX:HR is far from the best shooter of recent years. It may be a decent game, but the shooting mechanics themselves really aren't that good. Far better stuff out there.

Reducing RPG to "It haz levels" is stupid. If I choose not to level up in a game that has experience points, does that game stop being an RPG? Likewise just because you add a leveling system to a game does not make it an RPG - you can level up in Chivalry but I doubt you would call that game an RPG, and that one even has classes.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I'm not reducing it to that, I'm just saying that's one of many components. Saints Row 3 is more of an RPG because it includes that AND most of what you're talking about in your other post. Hell, Far Cry 3 has even more. Even though all these games include what you were talking about AND some character building, I consider them shooters. Lowering the bar even further strikes me as insane.

In Doom, armour reduced damage, and guns had different stats that changed how you played with each one. Is Doom an RPG hybrid?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Stalker series might have some mild C&C but it's not what I'd call an RPG.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
The only games I'd really put in the Shooter-RPG hybrid category are DX1, SS2, and the NuFallouts. Maybe I'm forgetting some, but that's the sort of thing I expect. Anything less is just a shooter with some added depth (for example: Far Cry 3, which has 10x the RPG elements Stalker does).

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The only games I'd really put in the Shooter-RPG hybrid category are DX1, SS2, and the NuFallouts. Maybe I'm forgetting some, but that's the sort of thing I expect. Anything less is just a shooter with some added depth (for example: Far Cry 3, which has 10x the RPG elements Stalker does).

I guess the lowest I'd set the bar would be the Borderlands, but STALKER def.not.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
We know. I'm saying it's not a hybrid, unless a metric ton of recent shooters are too, which they aren't (or if they are, the term hybrid is so meaningless it's pointless). See my most recent post itt.

baturinsky

Arcane
I fail at being Oda in EU4:( I got nearly half of Japan, but Japan Shoguns (Ashikaga dynasty) turned out to be even more vicious bastards (and with a massive headstart) and annexed all other Daimyos AND conquested Korea.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Even with its all negatives I'm having fun with Rome 2, I'm such a sucker for ancient Rome and other culters back then :/

Also getting GTA V as a present today, want to wreak some havoc so badly nowadays.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Necroscope, I'd like to third or fourth the suggestion about playing the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, if you haven't already. I just finished Shadow of Chernobyl yesterday and it was fucking awesome!

And yeah, it's got some RPG elements - but what doesn't these days?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom