Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Playing XCOM: Enemy Within, and am thus far enjoying it alot. It's a definite improvement over the other rather lackluster DLC, and adds alot more to the game without actually breaking it or making it too easy. The biggest problem with it, however, is its steep price. Although it does add alot of content to the game, I still don't really think it's worth the price they're currently peddling it at, especially since it still requires the base-game (and essentially ia just the base game with a mini-campaign and added content) to play. I got it during the christmas sales, so I'd recommend waiting for it to go down in price before buying it.

MM10 (which I haven't gotten that far in) inspired me to finish my World of Xeen playthrough. Just now getting to the point where levelling my characters up is prohibitively expensive. Can't afford to train them all past level 38 without dipping into the bank account. Already cleared Alamar's Castle completely out of sequence, though, so I'm not too worried about being too weak.

Just cleared the Dungeon of Lost Souls and found it pretty terrible. Just an endless slog of minotaur after minotaur, with Gorgons thrown in near the bottom. I got very tired of looking at the minotaur sprite and those drab walls after awhile. Not sure if there's a way to protect against the Gorgon's stoning attacks, but it is certainly a kick in the balls for a character with 1000+ hps and 120+ AC to get instantly killed and leaving you to eat the repair cost of their Obsidian Plate Mail

:rpgcodex:

Bitcher1

Cipher

Right, having to repair your toughest armorsets after nearly every dungeontrekking was certainly one of the more annoying things about WoX. Kinda
monotone dungeons filled with the same type of enemy and usually few, if any, puzzles could be grating as well. Overland exploration is probably this game's main saving grace.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
In my last playthrough of WoX, I spent much less time repairing my gear after every dungeon romp. It was like I was... playing smarter than before.

I also didn't play any parts "out of sequence" and only got into trouble around Lvl 35 or so because the outdoors monsters were actually challenging then, but once I got past that the rest of the game was a breeze.

Then again, I ignored the MegaDragon and teleported my way through the final dragon dungeon, skipping out on the horrible fights therein. My party was at around Lvl 105 at the end, with my Barbarian at Lvl 130 for various reasons.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
So, decided to have some fun and have a look at the number of games I still want to give a thorough play or replay.

Age of Wonders 1,2
Alpha Protocal
Amnesia
Anachronox
Baldur's Gate 2
Bastion
Batman Arkham Asylum
Beyond Good and Evil
Bully
Brutal Legend
Company of Heroes 2
Dark Souls
Deus Ex orig
Dishonored
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age 2
Dreamfall
Fallout 1,2 with all the fix packs and so on.
Freespace 1,2
Thief orig
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Fallout: New Vegas
FF7
Final Fantasy Tactics
Game of Thrones
Gemini Rue
Homeworld
King Arthur
Lucasarts Adventures
Mark of the Ninja
Mass Effect 1,2,3
Metro Last Light
Mirror's Edge
Planescape: Torment
Portal 2
Psychonauts
Rage
Shadowrun Returns DLC
Skyrim
Tactics Ogre
The Witcher 2
Tie Fighter
Vampire: Bloodlines

Woe is me. Especially since I'm sure I'll think of at least a dozen other ones in the next hour or so. Not to mention that this year has suddenly turned into the biggest chance of incline in a decade. So much goodness on the way. First things first. Currently doing a replay of The Witcher and getting to the end of GTA 5. I'll get there. Eventually.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Just play already and stop bothering about backlog mumbo-jumbo-when-I-finish-this-all-precious-fast-bough-gaemz.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Most of the new stuff is waiting for a play. Most of the older stuff is waiting for a replay. Mirror's Edge is an older title I never played though. Some older games I want to replay coz of fanpatches doing neat stuff to them or simple nostalgia/knowing how good they are. The Lucasarts Adventure Games for instance. Sheer brilliance and its been years.

Thing is, it's not like I never actually game anymore. It's mostly that when I do I play timesinks like Crusader Kings 2 or Euro Truck Simulator 2. Always did sink most of my time in strategy and sims. The two genres you often never can 'finish'.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Batman Arkham Asylum
Company of Heroes 2
Deus Ex orig
Dishonored
Dragon Age 2
Dreamfall
Game of Thrones
Gemini Rue
Homeworld
Mass Effect 1,2,3
Mirror's Edge
Psychonauts
The Witcher 2
There, i saved you some time. You can safely skip all of those.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I enjoyed FPS, especially tactical squad based shooters such as Rainbow6 (up to and including the ravenshield games). There hasn't been a decent tactical shooter released in FOREVER until now...

Insurgency is a recently released tactical shooter. It feels fantastic, looks great, sounds awesome and plays like butter. The guns feel really crisp. if you like tactical shooters, give it a try:

Team link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/222880/

WTF is Insurgency: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxjlHU9u38

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I would like to waste some time finally on System Shock. I want to do the proper runthrough in two sittings max. My question is - should I play with mouse view fix or default controls for maximum effect?

I would use the mouse view fix. Enjoying that gem isn't dependent on using the shitty default controls. Fantastic game.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I would like to waste some time finally on System Shock. I want to do the proper runthrough in two sittings max. My question is - should I play with mouse view fix or default controls for maximum effect?

Default is very similar to Ultima Underworld, but I prefer it with mouse look myself.
Lol'd at the previous post. Some of the games in that list are downright terrible (Dragon Age in particular) but Deus Ex, Dishonored and Vampire? Really?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Batman Arkham Asylum
Company of Heroes 2
Deus Ex orig
Dishonored
Dragon Age 2
Dreamfall
Game of Thrones
Gemini Rue
Homeworld
Mass Effect 1,2,3
Mirror's Edge
Psychonauts
The Witcher 2
Ban this fucking idiot already.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Homeworld
Psychonauts

I hate wasting posts on random lists done by random posters. But this is outlandish. Or you are trolling or...wait.... YOU ARE THE GALCIV 2/92 METACRITIC GUY

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/galactic-civilizations-2.89262

Enlighten me. Why those. Explain. I am willing to give you the benefit of doubt, if you give me at least a reason. Why Homeworld. Why Psychonauts, a fun game. Why Bloodlines, a problematic gem. I am truly curious if you have good criticism. If not

And nothing of value will be lost.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most of the new stuff is waiting for a play. Most of the older stuff is waiting for a replay. Mirror's Edge is an older title I never played though. Some older games I want to replay coz of fanpatches doing neat stuff to them or simple nostalgia/knowing how good they are. The Lucasarts Adventure Games for instance. Sheer brilliance and its been years.

Thing is, it's not like I never actually game anymore. It's mostly that when I do I play timesinks like Crusader Kings 2 or Euro Truck Simulator 2. Always did sink most of my time in strategy and sims. The two genres you often never can 'finish'.

My advice would be to play Mirror's Edge. It's not a very long game, so you will not be forced to recall the plot (which is the weakest part of it, to be honest), and have a great time. It's like a first person platform game, with a "easy to learn, hard to master" mechanics. When you are running through the cops, or the obstacles, it never bores you. I replayed it so many times, probably more than most of the newer titles. Graphical design using UDK is gorgeous, there is a diffrence between typical shooter on that engine and ME. And the soundtrack by Solar Fields adds a couple of points to "atmosphere" factor.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Homeworld
Psychonauts

I hate wasting posts on random lists done by random posters. But this is outlandish. Or you are trolling or...wait.... YOU ARE THE GALCIV 2/92 METACRITIC GUY

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/galactic-civilizations-2.89262

Enlighten me. Why those. Explain. I am willing to give you the benefit of doubt, if you give me at least a reason. Why Homeworld. Why Psychonauts, a fun game. Why Bloodlines, a problematic gem. I am truly curious if you have good criticism. If not

And nothing of value will be lost.
Psychonauts is fucking boring.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Batman Arkham Asylum
Company of Heroes 2
Deus Ex orig
Dishonored
Dragon Age 2
Dreamfall
Game of Thrones
Gemini Rue
Homeworld
Mass Effect 1,2,3
Mirror's Edge
Psychonauts
The Witcher 2

Would you care to explain? I mean, something this rich coming from the Galciv 2 Metacritic guy. I simply can't wait to hear your rationalisations.

Psychonauts is fucking boring.

So is spamming the screenshot thread with shit 13 in a dozen FPS screenshots and fat dudes.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

System Shock Portable is all you need.
About half of playthrough already and got blast.

Trash
If you want to play (and finish) some normal games then leave (or even better - uninstall) those "timesinking games without end" and enjoy your free time.
Seriously, thinking about backlogs and threating games as second job ("me must finish it because for the sake of completion") is bad.

I got same thing, and already finished some titles from backlog.
Just stop whinning bothering and start playing.
I give that advise to anyone with that thing.

And you ask us to choose from these games? Start from the shortest.
We don't have your gaming taste nor have your gaming experience but whatever so make it cold.

First
Amnesia
Bastion
Metro LL

Then something longer
Game of Thrones
Alpha Protocal
Thief orig
Planescape: Torment

Much longer
Anachronox

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Batman Arkham Asylum
Company of Heroes 2
Deus Ex orig
Dishonored
Dragon Age 2
Dreamfall
Game of Thrones
Gemini Rue
Homeworld
Mass Effect 1,2,3
Mirror's Edge
Psychonauts
The Witcher 2

Would you care to explain? I mean, something this rich coming from the Galciv 2 Metacritic guy. I simply can't wait to hear your rationalisations.
Arkham Asylum got repetitive and has way too much collectiing.
Men of War > CoH2
Deus Human Revolution > Deus Ex/Dishonored/Bloodlines
Dragon Age 1 and 2 are just terrible.
Dreamfall is nothing like the first and is jut some interactive movie.
Game of Thrones is good only for the story. In that case i rather read the books.
Gemini Rue is interesting at first but it's a small game and becomes tedious later on.
Homeworld has annoying mission design.
Mass Effect series are forgettable and mediocre.
Mirror's Edge, actually i should've left that out. Haven't played it.
Psychonauts tries to hard and is buggy.
Witcher 2 is worse than the original, which wasn't all that to begin with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom