Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Replaying/sampling different shit idk
Q4P8fRU.png

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Looking very nice, man! Be careful with TrenchBroom, it has a tendency to move vertices around during brush manipulations (mostly copy/paste/rotate/flip) and can create micro leaks that can be very hard to track down. I recommend you check the Force Integer Plane Points box in Edit -> Map Properties. Note that this can still happen even with that, so a good thing to do is to select your newly created brushes after you're done with them and go to Edit -> Actions -> Snap Vertices. You can bind a key to this command. This issue should be fixed with the second version of the editor, but it's not ready yet.

Thanks, that's good useful advice that will probably save me a lot of future pain. Much appreciated.
Here's what I've been making with TrenchBroom lately:
1zv8x9u.jpg

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Shit, after January of Incline I don't fell like a want to play any games...I played a lot of TBS and Blackguards, finished both (+finished most of the other stuff bought on the steam sale) and got tired of games, I try to start something new and feel bored. Guess I need some rest...

:negative:

WaffleStomper

Literate
Progear (cps2 arcade board) on a supergun setup until my cab ships in a month or two. Got a 1-ALL a week ago and now working on meeting the loop requirements.

Other than that.. completing dragon's crown with a buddy and we just finished collecting the 9 talisman :)

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Anno 1602, Port Royale and X2 The Threat. Love them german economic/trading/supply chain sims.

Plus going through Mafia 2 DLCs, trying for 100% and just messing around in Just Cause 2, some TDR2000 and UT2K4 single player, and Faces of War here and there. And some Worms Reloaded.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just finished the Deponia trilogy. Wow. I can't remember when a game that I loved playing about 15% of the time, and absolutely HATED playing the other 85% of the time, redeems itself so well at the last moment. Rufus is such an asshole, so many of the puzzles are lame, so many of the jokes unfunny, so many elements stolen from other better-known video games, I was raging pretty hard at points, and while playing I had gathered some notes together that I was hoping to use in my post here. But... then I reached the ending, and I just sat there, kinda dumbfounded for 10 minutes... looked back at my notes... and it suddenly clicked, everything made sense.

The Deponia trilogy is an homage, a tribute, a parody, a satire, a send-off, a eulogy and a "FUCK YOU!" to the adventure games of old.

Yes, I'm serious.

The most memorable adventure game protagonists we know are the charmable losers, the underdogs with the forgiveable character flaws. Guybrush Threepwood, Roger Wilco, Larry Laffer. They're kinda pathetic, but they somehow manage to save the day and get the girl, happy ending, everyone comes away smiling. Ben from Full Throttle is a tough guy with an attitude, but he also has a heart and a sense of justice. By almost total contrast, Rufus is designed on purpose to be the way he is; Egotistical, self-centered and non-caring, except for the most base of reasons: To live in paradise and get the girl. His revolting persona not only drives the plot forward in fits and sputters, but also often brings it crashing to a screeching halt at times, while annoying everyone involved, especially the player. (I wonder how many people have ragequitted from Deponia because of him?)

The best example of Rufus's deliberate design is Bozo. When he's introduced he's just a normal guy with a home and a job that happens to run into Rufus and gets wrapped up in his "quest". By the third part he's a nervous wreck, having lost his home AND his job, been coaxed into seeing his violently abusive girlfriend again, moved back in with his parents, is seeing a therapist, and finally loses it when Rufus blindingly tries to "cure" him, clueless to the fact that it's him that's Bozo's problem, who's ruined his life. And that's just one instance in where Deponia hammers in the fact that Rufus is insufferable.

The game also deliberately recycles puzzles and gimmicks from earlier adventure games, like the ability in the third part to switch between three characters at once like in Day of the Tentacle, or the time paradox puzzle from Escape from Monkey Island, or the Monkey Kombat abomination, or the Sierra On-Line "death prompt" (which Monkey Island 1 also made fun of, BTW) and many many more. I'm not saying that every puzzle in Deponia has been done before, the secret knock puzzle is a brilliant one, for example. The Deponia games take the LucasArts school of thought when it comes to punishing players for making mistakes: By not punishing them at all. In the Sierra games you usually couldn't go a whole minute without finding 3 different ways to kill your character and forcing a reload, in Deponia you can't screw up, you can't fail, and you can't kill off Rufus to vent your rage and anger, no matter how much you want to... except, of course, when you shouldn't.

Personally, I've always hated both these schools of thought. The Sierra one punishes you over and over for the simplest of mistakes, turning you into a glittering gem of hatred, while the LucasArts one doddles the player and leads him by the hand, preventing him from ever making a mistake. It's because Adventure Games were subjected to the extremes of both these schools that the genre died in the first place. Deponia is no exception, but it wouldn't be able to serve its purpose if it tried otherwise.

How the third part ends is a clear message to many players: Not every story has a happy ending, not every story ends the way you want it to, even in the fairy tales. Sometimes the ending is a kicker. Take the Quest for Glory series as an example. The protagonist's goal is clear: He wants to be a Hero. By the end of the series he is the Hero of Spielburg, the Prince of Shapeir and about to become the ruler of Silmaria after being one of two competitors to survive the Rites of Rulership. But then the game gives the player a choice: To take the throne, or turn it down. The game actually gives the player the option at the end to just walk away from the goal, when absolutely nothing stands in the way of the Hero and his Quest. Let me ask you: How many of you turned it down and passed the throne over to Elsa? I did, out of curiosity. You can imagine how that made me feel afterwards. But in this case I had a choice how the story ended, Deponia isn't so kind.

Sometimes. Things. Just. Don't. Work. Out.

One just has to let go. RPS's article on Goodbye Deponia clearly shows that they didn't get it (no surprise) and I'm pretty certain most people playing Deponia didn't get it either. But then again, you have to had played the Adventure Games of old back when they were new to see what Deponia is doing: It's reminding us just how annoying, convoluted, frustrating and outright messed-up these games used to be... but it also takes the time sometimes to remind us why we love these games. Some of the jokes from those games sit with us more than 20 YEARS after we played them. I just have to type "three-headed monkey" and EVERYONE familiar with the phrase knows what I'm talking about. Deponia has a few of these moments, but I fear that most of them will be lost to the impact that the ending will have upon everybody.

I want to write more, but it's 6 in the morning for me and I need to sleep. But I'll end this with the emoticon that described the Deponia trilogy, and my opinion of it, perfectly:

:excellent:

Last edited:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
"Press X for Jason" was the part where I stopped playing Heavy Rain :)
The game arguably gets "better" after that point, if only because the pacing actually begins to speed up. The real problem is that the entire plot of the game only works if you assume that literally everybody involved is fucking stupid. I don't think I've ever seen a story focused game with as many plot-holes and disbelief-suspending incompetence as Heavy Rain has in my life.

gromit

Arcane
Ducked back into a Far Cry 2 savegame from, like, 16 months ago. Yes, its map has a lot of empty space. Yes, the guard respawns are implemented in a silly way. Yes, it gets old and a little same-y if you play it straight for too long.

None of those things matter when I'm pulling last-minute recon from an overlook, having rigged explosives on the far side of a compound, on my way to circle around and crawl in with a suppressed shotgun.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
FarCry2 is awesome. Easily the best in the series. Gunplay, visuals, immersion, plot, AI > the rest.

Brandon

Educated
Decided to finally finish Mask of the Betrayer before all the supposed 2014 incline arrives

I've never played any of the NWN games, but want to finally try MotB. Where should I start? What all games do I need and can I jump right into Mask?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I've never played any of the NWN games, but want to finally try MotB. Where should I start? What all games do I need and can I jump right into Mask?
You need Neverwinter Nights 2 with MotB expansion obviously, though getting the full thing with SOZ patched to latest is recommended since it a) removes the shitty DRM, and b) fixes almost all bugs in the game (and there were a LOT). Get it here http://af.gog.com/game/neverwinter_nights_2_complete?as=1649904300
(Jaesun or Infinitron could you fix my link to include the Codex referral tag please? Can't get it to work)

And yes you should jump right into Mask, because the OC is really quite mediocre and not worth it.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Fallout 1 with FALLOUT FIXT mods installed.

Seems good.. but I'm not sure the difficulity is working as intended :-O

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Reinstalled Homeworld yesterday. Last (first) time I played it, I cheesed Salvage Corvettes until I had well in excess of 100 Ion Frigates, then lost interest when every mission became a walkover. So this time I'm planning on a no-salvage playthrough.
I haven't got cataclysm. I know it's supposed to have the superior campaign, but I never got around to purchasing it and I couldn't find a place to not remove it from an inventory.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
FarCry2 is awesome. Easily the best in the series. Gunplay, visuals, immersion, plot, AI > the rest.
What? :lol: It is the worst in the series.

Anyway, finally finished Deus Ex (for the first time). Felt good to finish an old school classic (I can hardly find time for those). I'm not saying the game is among my favourites, because the gunplay and inventory management was quite shitty IMO, but the level desing, the story, and the many ways the game can be played made up for that few problems. I chose the Helios ending, because that was the only one which was acceptable to me. I didn't want to swap Majestic 12 to the Illuminati, neither send back the warld into the dark ages. How could I visit the Codex in that world?

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I've installed two (mega) modifications on two - almost the same, in official descriptions- games.
One is JA2 + 1.13, second is Combat Extended for JA: Bitch in Action.
Both of them improve greatly the game. Detail is - both vanilia JA2 and 1.13 are fantastic games when Combat Extended make the BiA(tch) playable.
Already grabbed first city in 1.13 and it's better impression that my last encounter with JA2, especialy dat enemy soldatos armed pistols with range of rifle.

Also - finished E.Y.E. - Divine Cybermancy.
Did I say that this game is strange? Now you know it. And suprisingly short - about 5 maps (but promote multi playthroughts). And it stayed in my "backlog" for 2-3 years. Pity...
Could go back and play but lost interest when in some mission my character dropped from 79lvl with unlocked everything into 11lvl with basic stuff:decline: and you should know that prizes are HUGE (researching, guns, psi stuff, implants, improvements, millions of brouzofs lost)
Funny - I've started new mission (objective - assault the enemy stronghold), resumed day later to discover my character degradation and completely different objective:retarded:

Xeon

Augur
Played:
Kamidori Alchemy Meister: It kinda reminds with crafting in the Atelier series but lacks the experimentation. I didn't like the main character with his invoice dialogue, Otherwise I thought it was pretty good. Will probably play again to do the quests in 2.0 and maybe try and get the meister rank if possible.

Tears to Tiara: Man, I hate this series. I dropped the anime almost at the end because I couldn't stand Arthur and so I thought I'll give the game a try and man the demon king is kinda annoying with his romance or whatever. I put it on hold and thinking of dropping it. Combat kinda reminds me with the Growlanser series.

i wanted to replay ja2 1.13 but the version i downloaded doesn't show a to-hit percentage, just a not very precise circular shape around the target. very very annoying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom