Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Xeon

Augur
Risen: I finished doing the bandits quests for now and currently on my way to Harbor Town. Combat felt a little shitty at first but after spending some money and LP leveling Sword fighting it kinda got better.

Risen 2: I am currently in the process of choosing sides. Combat is mostly kiting and shooting so far. Might start over since I didn't explore the first island better and probably missed a lot of stuff.

Also tried Two World 2 for a little bit and I kinda didn't like it.

----
Yea, Alpha Protocol is pretty good. I generally don't like timers, It might be good if you are fluent in the language or a fast reader or something but for others it probably just sucks.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Risen: I finished doing the bandits quests for now and currently on my way to Harbor Town. Combat felt a little shitty at first but after spending some money and LP leveling Sword fighting it kinda got better.
Supar-secret tip: If you want to try joining the monastery (which you should, as it's more interesting), try to explore the world and level up swords as much as you can (to lvl10 if possible) with the trainer in the bandit camp. You'll lose access to his training after joining the monastery, and magic is basically useless for most of the game and staffs are much worse than sword+shield.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Nf1NsvY.png

:yeah:

yGWkIa2.png
kHRIkfy.png
iUwxVJH.png
4iH5pq3.png
4OBxfxD.png
EF2OImp.png

55lv1Fs.png
... or is it?

GHSYXkA.png
:smug:

Xeon

Augur
Aeschylus said:
Supar-secret tip: If you want to try joining the monastery (which you should, as it's more interesting), try to explore the world and level up swords as much as you can (to lvl10 if possible) with the trainer in the bandit camp. You'll lose access to his training after joining the monastery, and magic is basically useless for most of the game and staffs are much worse than sword+shield.
Thank you!!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
However, you can still train your axe skill up to 10 regardless of whom you join, I believe one the guards in Harbourtown can train you all the way. I think axes are superior to swords at the beginning simply because Power attack.

"smash glass" should mean "break a glass", "make a scene", not "take a bottle, smash it into his face and then threaten and mock him".
damn consoles, they ruined my alpha protocol.

aris

Arcane
I remember when Morrowind was loathed universally here for being popamole crap. Decline and all that.
Just goes to show how many nostalgia fags there are here.

"It's better because it is old".

laclongquan

Arcane
Morrowind is popamole in their writings aspect only. Dialogs, quests, lores, anything with writings. This judgement has not been changed.

Of course, some Codexers with really horrible taste for its quality level of writings still insist they are fine. But that also has not been changed.

Other than that, it's a fine gem of a game. Exploration, item crafting, skill training, combat, etc... Just not writings.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
^ The combat in Morrowind was terrible. And the world design, beyond the actual art-direction aspects, was unspectacular. The exploration itself was quite bland compared to a game like Gothic, as due to the crappy writing you were never really going to find anything interesting other than pretty scenery and new monsters. The item crafting was fun, but it was also eminently breakable and too easy to make yourself completely invincible. It's not bad -- the actual character system was excellent, I'll happily grant that -- but for the life of me I can't figure out why so many people here consider it a great game. I guess just the lack of a quest compass is enough for some people.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Playing Allied Corps. At first blowing up Italian tankettes and gunning down Italian soldiers was so much fun. But then Rommel and his German panzers and soldiers who can actually fight came in and the game turned into hell. It's really nice to play on the defending side enduring constant German assault.

Keldryn

Arcane
Shin Megami Tensei IV on the 3DS XL. I'm enjoying it a lot; it's rather old-school in design with some pretty deep customization options (fusing demons). It was brutally difficult at the beginning, and even 45 hours in, I still occasionally get wiped out by much lower level monsters if they get the first turn in battle and have attacks that exploit my party's weaknesses.

Also, my wife just won an iPad Mini, and since she already has an iPad Air, she gave me the Mini. I bought Baldur's Gate: EE on it, and I'm quite enjoying playing through it again.

With a 4 year old and an 18 month old at home, the only real gaming time I have is on my 40-minute train rides to and from work each day, so I'm very happy to have relatively deep and complex RPGs available on mobile devices.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
My backlog has Skyrocketed recently:

Various GOG games (ToEE, JA2, etc)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Red Dead Redemption
Far Cry 3
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2 (in March)
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door.

I'm enjoying a lot of Drox Operative co-op at the moment. And by I enjoy, I mean playing far, far too much.

The common consensus around the game seems to be 'fun at first, but gets very tiresome'. I'll admit the combat lacks a certain 'punch' that other diablo-likes have, and that I wish the diplomatic options were a little more fleshed out... but I can't say that I'm not really liking the honeymoon period so far. Probably helps that I never got far into any of the other Soldak games I've tried, despite liking them on paper.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finally finished Kotor 2.

Backlog's like a fucking Hydra, every game I finish is replaced by two more.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt

I'm in the same boat. I'm only at the half-way point of MMX, and then I bought JA2 and Patrician 3 during a GOG.com sale.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I'm in the same boat. I'm only at the half-way point of MMX, and then I bought JA2 and Patrician 3 during a GOG.com sale.
Fun part? There's at least 40+ games in the system right now.
Bro, remove that damned backlog and play|enjoy the game you want to play at the moment, nothing else matters. Makes life easier;)

laclongquan

Arcane
You should put it like this: If it's not attractive enough out of the other 40 unknown and unplayed games, it's prolly not worthy enough to try.

These days I only play one game at a time. Intensely and during a short period from 3-6 months, but after that, change target. Prolly because the next game make me abandon the old one.

Why? Because of some thing you guys said, something in the LP thread, or rarely, some review make me curious enough to try the new one.

still alpha protocol, hotel mission. i keep tripping alarms and i have to use an emp for that damn 10 numbers keypad. on the fourth failed attempt i resorted to savescum, only to find out wherever and whenever i save the game is still boud to checkpoints.
damn consoles, will you ever stop ruining my games?

DraQ

Arcane
I remember when Morrowind was loathed universally here for being popamole crap. Decline and all that.

Morrowind is popamole in their writings aspect only. Dialogs, quests, lores, anything with writings. This judgement has not been changed.
the world design, beyond the actual art-direction aspects, was unspectacular. The exploration itself was quite bland compared to a game like Gothic, as due to the crappy writing you were never really going to find anything interesting other than pretty scenery and new monsters.
I see that whatever affliction gaudaost has brought in is infectious and spreading.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
~Pre-Grimoire Wizardry Series Re-play~
Transitioned a Wizardry VI (completed) party over to Wizardry VII.
I felt like some of their weapons were OP, so dropped anything higher than Tier III.

Trying to play through Wizardry VII now with mapping done in Grid Cartographer.
Being able to annotate GC maps creates a very useful tool for exploring w/o having a stack of paper to record texts/events/etc.
The continuity of a large create-as-explore mode map is gaming luxury imho.

Still fun after all these years.

aris

Arcane

the world design, beyond the actual art-direction aspects, was unspectacular. The exploration itself was quite bland compared to a game like Gothic, as due to the crappy writing you were never really going to find anything interesting other than pretty scenery and new monsters.
I see that whatever affliction gaudaost has brought in is infectious and spreading.
:incline: of the codex
:smug:

I actually like morrowind..

laclongquan

Arcane
The problem of morrowind is that a rpg game require to have at least better than adequate writings. Atrocious as it was, it just ruin the fucking game. Well, not totally ruin considering its position in top 50 list, but it could have moved a few more rungs up the ladder.

You will notice that Fallout 3's biggest problem is its Bethesda level of writings. The settings itself is not bad, even compared to Fallout New Vegas, as it is with gameplay, or graphics. Hell, even bugs are not a problem because fan can fix it. But the writings of quests, characters, lores, dialogs... anything with writings suck like a ghoul's ass

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom