Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Kind of a shame to see a thread so long merrily on its way to Retardo land

Humppaleka

Cipher
I liked gaudaost best when he was still being a retard in the Diablo 3 thread. Now he is just being a retard everywhere else.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You will notice that Fallout 3's biggest problem is its Bethesda level of writings. The settings itself is not bad, even compared to Fallout New Vegas, as it is with gameplay, or graphics. Hell, even bugs are not a problem because fan can fix it. But the writings of quests, characters, lores, dialogs... anything with writings suck like a ghoul's ass

That reminds me...for some reason I ended up cheking Emil Pagliarulo's Wikipedia page, and I was surprised to learn that "He is best known for being the lead designer and the lead writer of Fallout 3, for which he received the Best Writing award at the 2008 Game Developers Choice Awards."
After all I've heard about here on the Codex about Fallout 3 having the worst writing in video games history, and also learning the Emil also worked on Thief 2, I'm confused.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
The problem of morrowind is that a rpg game require to have at least better than adequate writings. Atrocious as it was, it just ruin the fucking game. Well, not totally ruin considering its position in top 50 list, but it could have moved a few more rungs up the ladder.

You will notice that Fallout 3's biggest problem is its Bethesda level of writings. The settings itself is not bad, even compared to Fallout New Vegas, as it is with gameplay, or graphics. Hell, even bugs are not a problem because fan can fix it. But the writings of quests, characters, lores, dialogs... anything with writings suck like a ghoul's ass
If you want writing go read a godamned book.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I've been playing the new PC port of Resident Evil 4. It's alright, because RE4 is fun, but the work they put into actually changing the game to work with keyboard and mouse is pretty much negligible.

laclongquan

Arcane

That reminds me...for some reason I ended up cheking Emil Pagliarulo's Wikipedia page, and I was surprised to learn that "He is best known for being the lead designer and the lead writer of Fallout 3, for which he received the Best Writing award at the 2008 Game Developers Choice Awards."
After all I've heard about here on the Codex about Fallout 3 having the worst writing in video games history, and also learning the Emil also worked on Thief 2, I'm confused.
Point 1: I dont think Thief series is famous for their writings.
Point 2: I dont trust game awards same way as I dont trust gaming journalists. They are a bunch of whores in the pays from game companies.
Point 3: Considering both Thief and fallout 3's level of writings, it seem my point 2 is made strongly. You should propose other works of his to convince us he's a good game writer.

DraQ

Arcane
The problem of morrowind is that a rpg game require to have at least better than adequate writings. Atrocious as it was, it just ruin the fucking game.
The problem here is that you don't distinguish between different kinds and aspects of writing.
Style and workshop is distinct from the substance, writing mythology is different from writing dialogue, is different from writing characters themselves is different from writing quests and plots, which in turn is different from writing in-game books.

stabby

Learned
I'm currently moseying* through my second try at Fallout: New Vegas, and having kept myself quite in the dark about the details of this game I must say I'm definitely enjoying it this time. Not going to say it doesn't have issues mind you, then again I haven't had the experience of playing either Fallout 3 (or its version without guns) so I'm sure I haven't seen anything in that regard, but it has given me quite the number of unexpected surprises and the lack of feeling an actual good guy/bad guy dynamic has made me go 'Oops...' more than a couple of times now. I did just hit that conversation in Vegas that actually starts the game proper, and had a quick jaunt through the Honest Hearts DLC, so my interest continues to be piqued. Unforunately this is the point where the game has now decided to crash/lock-up on every 3rd or 4th area transition, so it might be time to put this one away again goddammit.

(*considering the combination of the reduced weight limit of Sawyer's mod & an OCD need to pick EVERYTHING up, 'Mosey' is quite an accurate way to describe my current speed of progress :M)

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I'm about to ragequit The Whispered World.

The puzzle design is so fucking obtuse I have to spend half the time with a walkthrough opened, and each time I check the solutions I shake my head in disbelief. Also, the story seems completely uninteresting and definitely not enough to warrant suffering through those puzzles

BUT HEY, PRETTY GRAPHIX I GUESS

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm about to ragequit The Whispered World.

The puzzle design is so fucking obtuse I have to spend half the time with a walkthrough opened, and each time I check the solutions I shake my head in disbelief. Also, the story seems completely uninteresting and definitely not enough to warrant suffering through those puzzles

BUT HEY, PRETTY GRAPHIX I GUESS
Wow, finally someone who agrees with me that TWW is a shitty adventure game. They even threw in a sliding-tile puzzle towards the end.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, TWW is my least favorite of all Daedalic's games. Though I've been playing 1954 Alcatraz on and off and it's so mediocre that it's very likely to at least come second.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'm playing through Thief's... Thieves... uuhh, those games "Thief". I finished Thief 1, and about half of Thief 2.

Don't have much to comment on for now, I don't remember a game putting so much stress on me for a while. There is something tough yet engaging about those games, not just mechanics, but the atmosphere and the plot.

Everything about Thief 2 just screams excellency. That is how sequels should be. The levels became even bigger, yet also more logical and easier to navigate, the writing improved everywhere, from diaries to bits of dialogue you hear, and the theme of balance between nature and human world was carried on, as well as story of Garrett, as two parts of one bigger plot were sewn seamlessly into one by Metal Age.

I hate secrets. You spend hour and a half, or two hours exploring levels, and still get 8/9 secrets found. Makes me so mad, I want to blackjack everyone I see and play until every pixel of the map is colored blue.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Started Derponia after dropping The Whispered World, and the jump in quality is very significant. I love the overall feel of the game, which is like a blend of Rayman, Monkey Island and Discworld, and so far the puzzles are really cool as well (I've just gathered all the wonder-coffee ingredients) - wacky and trippy, but logical once you attune yourself to the logic of the gameworld, and often give you that "aHA!" feeling.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Playing Rift because it is free-to-pay. Gotta love MMO-tards who claim that they love skill complexity and having 20 skills on cooldowns to use, but have them all macroed 1 button so they can mash it to win. Fucking idiots. Cut down down all the retarded extra skills and add depth to a few. MMO developers need to be reminded about KISS. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

i thought that was "keep it stupid simple".

i'm looking for a mmo and/or sandbox experience, low to no budget required: i call you codex! show me your almighty knowledge!

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Replaying Thief, but TDP version this time, graciously gifted by codexian reject.

Also: Hallsbergsfjärren, a remote train dispatch simulator. Based on a real day of the area controlled by the Hallsberg remote train dispatch center. Normally some 5-7 people take care of the region, but here you get to control all of it yourself. Hallsberg itself is Sweden's busiest railway junction, though the goods handling part and shunting yard is abstracted as Hallsberg RGB in the second screenshot.

eFfNnPY.png

RAZJPfk.png

Last edited:

eklektyk

Erudite
just finished

N5byZjr.png

quite nice game and superb lighting/fire efects ...really atmosferic and well done
had fun and all that

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom