Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Finished Dragonfall and getting back to Dark Souls:necro:

dunno lah

Arcane
Beat Duke Nukem II on Hard. :yeah:

Went through the last episode today and had to take a timeout during the second last level and the final boss due to overwhelming rage. The final boss has serious HP bloat on hard not unlike the shareware episode boss and I don't think it's possible to beat him without making 90% of special weapons' shots count. But, alas, hail to King Duke, baby...What an awesome game.

The only problems I have with this game are firstly, the lack of screen space so you can't really anticipate threats quick enough to react without some meta-knowledge after dying a few times. alert guards will almost always get a shot on you if you're not inching forward. This coupled with the way enemy spawns when in your view makes it almost as cheap as NES Ninja Gaiden. The other problem is with that weird checkpoint thingamajig in certain levels that doesn't function as you think it should, but it saves your progress in-level every time you die after you've activated it. So, even enemies that you've killed after activation will remain dead and you can practically play like shit and the level lets you do so until there are no more enemies on the level.

Would welcome a new Duke platformer like this with outstretched arms.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Would welcome a new Duke platformer like this with outstretched arms.

Have you played Manhattan Project? It's a far cry from the classic Dukes, but it's still something I replay very often.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Final Doom.
Must have played it twice back in the days, but I hardly remember anything of it. Not sure if that says more about me or the game, though...
Played Evilution first; nothing groundbreaking and not as hard as I was lead to believe (I regret playing it on Normal).
Now I'm playing Plutonia Experiment, which is both harder and more interesting.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
Adobe Flash Professional CS6
Great graphics, poor mechanics and a lot of space for replayability

bloodlover

Arcane
I had to stay home this week because of almost coughing my lungs out so I went on a M&M VI spree. Very addictive and fun to play though the hordes of enemies make it tedious at times. Oh, and I have to mention again the awesome dungeons.

I still haven't figured out how I'm gonna spread my points and skills even though the party is level 15 but I'll see. :D

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
MM6... I played it once through to the end in 2003 or 2004. While I enjoyed the ride back then, it's unlikely I'll ever play it again. Some of the dungeons are INFURIATING AS FUCK but I never actually felt challenged at any point, just... slogging through endless mud.

I followed up my MM6 playthrough with a MM7 playthrough, and I enjoyed it so much I played it twice.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Resinstalled Black&White. Despite all the haters out there calling it overrated and what not, it's a brilliant game and remains to this day unmatched. Music, atmosphere, physics, AI, interactivity, weather, game systems, levels and challenges, animation (for creatures), miracles, the temple, and a hundred other things all make the game one of my favourites. It really shows that the creators loved making this game.

R@S

Scholar
I'm currently playing this game called The Internetz, just found this section called RPGcodex that seems very interesting. I made a high INT build character that has computer science as a primary skill, and so far I'm kicking butt. The game itself is a text based adventure CRPG with a sprinkle of CYOA, the kind I used to love playing as a child.

As you play along, The Internetz keep track of everything you say, much like a Let's Play, which makes it easy to go back and revisit previously won battles. IIRC that function can be found in your log, under "Recent Activity" or something.

It's very hard figuring out the rules tho, the manual is lacking in that respect. I think you can do pretty much anything you'd want, as long as you do it in the right place. It's a very bad idea to drop a turd in the game discussion threads, that might lead to bannu and requires a restart of the game. Fuck that, I'm an Iron Man mode type player, always has been.

Another rule is that when posting in Site Feedback you are supposed to package your complaint in the most whiny and arrogant way possible, or else people wont listen. It seems that even if you follow that rule, they wont listen. I gave up on that for now, but will return once my character has developed better stats, might have better luck then.

There's a lot of sniping going on, and you need to think twice before you make any move, otherwise you run the risk of being labeled a "Shitposter". It reminds me a lot of chess, anticipating the opponent's response and stuff. You have to consider every word and phrasing, and sneaking in puns whenever possible is always a good idea. But Don't_Mention_The_Puns, leave them as a surprise for those with a better sense of humor(and a fucking dictionary). Also make sure that what you say can be interpreted in many different way, that gives you a much better chance of getting achievements.

Then there's this place called GD, and that's where most of the exciting stuff happens. My character has encountered a few opponents that actually fought back in an interesting way, but most of the AI has been a major disappointment. I have to admit, I have stuck to the shallow end of the pool so far, but I can't imagine the deep end being any worse. That might change down the line, so I'm not willing to pass judgement before I have won the game.

Which brings me to my questions.

What do you have to do to win? I know you can get some achievements if you say something witty, and I see other players that have won something called "tags". There's also those Pay-to-Win tags some players are sporting, but I would be embarrassed if I was caught playing a game with one of those. Does the tags have anything to do with the main story, or are they only there to suck more time and money out of you?

Is it worth joining any of the factions, or will that only come back and bite me in the arse later in the game?

Then there's those "Brofists" and when you are supposed to use them. So far I have given them to players who made me laugh, is that right? Or should I use them when I agree with what the player has said?

I have read the manual from front to cover, and these are the questions left unanswered. Other than the manual being weak, I have no other complaints and am enjoying myself immensely. They sure don't make games like these any more:decline:

Also playing 7.62 with BSM 2.1, but that's for bug hunting, not fun.

(inb4 not original but nice effort)

P.S. I forgot to ask, what's a "hiver"? It's acting all weird and shit, bug or feature?

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Pfew, done with Gunstar Heroes on Normal. Now to try on Hard … Not gonna be pretty. I already dread Seven Force. :D

Well I kinda look forward to it too; Seven Force is probably one of the best boss battle I've seen in any genre.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Interstate '76. Haven't played it for more than a decade. I'm playing the GOG.com version, but apparently it has issues with modern OS's. The cars' wheels spin strangely and they can't jump on ramps. Even at full speed, the car loses momentum when touching a ramp, then falls down. Still, it's a fun vehicular combat game with a nice funky soundtrack.

spekkio

Arcane
^
Switch to 3dfx mode via nglide. Should fix timing problems (wheels at least). Software mode is 100% CPU dependant, thus - fail.

Grim Monk

Arcane
I downloaded Bloody Pulp Fiction (Blood Fan Mod), and immediately the frustration started...

As soon as I unzipped the files my antivirus swooped down and quarantined "AddMidi.exe", claiming it was an trojan.

I sorted that out and installing the mod, only to find that it had a bugged up color scheme like the "Fallout 1 Color glitch".

Found out on the net that this was likely caused by Windows being 64-bit, and was directed to a fan made v1.3.
This finally installed, and I started the mod's first level "Cabalanche".

Only to find the FPS regularly dropping to 7-8...

It was configured exactly the same as the original game, which works fine.
Sadly I was unable to fix this by messing around with the cycles in Dosbox.

This is a pity :( as the level design was very good.
I actually played through to the second level but stopped when the frame rate issues continued...

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Found out on the net that this was likely caused by Windows being 64-bit, and was directed to a fan made v1.3.
This finally installed, and I started the mod's first level "Cabalanche".

Only to find the FPS regularly dropping to 7-8...

I played on 32-bit version of Windows 7 and it worked normally, just like vanilla episodes. I guess you're out of luck.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, Soulforge is pretty bad with the metal grates. IIRC, they ALWAYS lead to something, even though sometimes it's not easily visible what they lead to.

R@S

Scholar
I'd like to give the players who brofisted my previous post about the game called The Internetz a short update on my progress.

I'm still kicking butt:smug:

I wish I had more time to play this game. It's a good thing you only have to spend a couple of minutes here and there to keep your character alive. Easier than a Tamagotchi!

I have gotten a couple of Perks, one is called "Professor" and it's really cool. I have barely used it, you're supposed to use it sparely and wisely to keep it powerful. The other one is called "Cock-Eyed Optimist", I'm curious to find out how it will work in this setting and with my current character build.

Today I noticed a banner saying "We are hoarding all the keys". I think this is a clue, to win the game you should try to get as many keys as possible. I don't have any keys yet, I don't know how to get them and I don't know how many is required to win. I'm going to have to spend some time trying different things until I figure this out. The manual is not offering any information on this, no surprise.

My current goal is to go down in the anals annals of codex lore as the most :incline: poster of March 2014, I'm going to succeed by using puns and a can do attitude. I'm not sure what reward I'll get, no worries, I have always enjoyed surprises. DU, the game master bot, has shown a great sense of humor in the past, I'm sure I wont be disappointed.

I realize I haven't told you much about how the battle system works, I'll try to do that if I ever find the time to make another update. I need to find some opponents that will give me an opportunity to use some of these new Perks and skills I've been talking about. Considering this is a CRPG on an RPG board I'm sure I'll have ample opportunities, but I have to be careful.

Since I'm an experienced Iron Man mode type player, I'm very familiar with the concept of a honey pot trap. I'm not, however, familiar enough with the game rules and might get suckered because of that. I need to keep an eye on social clues like a 15 year old schoolgirl if I'm to be successful in my venture.

I'd also like to say a quick word from-our-sponsors h8ers stick-up-butt-people to those who didn't laugh at least once when reading my previous post. I made an effort to use humor for as many tastes possible. Meta, sarcastic, ironical, topical, callback, referential, puns, parody, impersonation, insults, bullying and a bunch of others. Not even a smile? Do you look for flaws while playing games and are then not able to enjoy them because of that? Maybe you should think about that for a while, or call a 1-800 number?

I think I'm close to breaking some rules here, I RTFM'd n00b style, if any game mod thinks this should be deleted, moved or whatever, go ahead. Please consider the fact that I'm playing Iron Man mode when you're choosing an appropriate measure.

P.S. Seriously, what's up with that "hiver" thing, bug or feature?

Disclaimer: When I said I read the manual RTFM n00b style I meant I quickly browsed the pages looking for cool pichoors.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd like to give the players who brofisted my previous post about the game called The Internetz a short update on my progress.

I'm still kicking butt:smug:

I wish I had more time to play this game. It's a good thing you only have to spend a couple of minutes here and there to keep your character alive. Easier than a Tamagotchi!

I have gotten a couple of Perks, one is called "Professor" and it's really cool. I have barely used it, you're supposed to use it sparely and wisely to keep it powerful. The other one is called "Cock-Eyed Optimist", I'm curious to find out how it will work in this setting and with my current character build.

Today I noticed a banner saying "We are hoarding all the keys". I think this is a clue, to win the game you should try to get as many keys as possible. I don't have any keys yet, I don't know how to get them and I don't know how many is required to win. I'm going to have to spend some time trying different things until I figure this out. The manual is not offering any information on this, no surprise.

My current goal is to go down in the anals annals of codex lore as the most :incline: poster of March 2014, I'm going to succeed by using puns and a can do attitude. I'm not sure what reward I'll get, no worries, I have always enjoyed surprises. DU, the game master bot, has shown a great sense of humor in the past, I'm sure I wont be disappointed.

I realize I haven't told you much about how the battle system works, I'll try to do that if I ever find the time to make another update. I need to find some opponents that will give me an opportunity to use some of these new Perks and skills I've been talking about. Considering this is a CRPG on an RPG board I'm sure I'll have ample opportunities, but I have to be careful.

Since I'm an experienced Iron Man mode type player, I'm very familiar with the concept of a honey pot trap. I'm not, however, familiar enough with the game rules and might get suckered because of that. I need to keep an eye on social clues like a 15 year old schoolgirl if I'm to be successful in my venture.

I'd also like to say a quick word from-our-sponsors h8ers stick-up-butt-people to those who didn't laugh at least once when reading my previous post. I made an effort to use humor for as many tastes possible. Meta, sarcastic, ironical, topical, callback, referential, puns, parody, impersonation, insults, bullying and a bunch of others. Not even a smile? Do you look for flaws while playing games and are then not able to enjoy them because of that? Maybe you should think about that for a while, or call a 1-800 number?

I think I'm close to breaking some rules here, I RTFM'd n00b style, if any game mod thinks this should be deleted, moved or whatever, go ahead. Please consider the fact that I'm playing Iron Man mode when you're choosing an appropriate measure.

P.S. Seriously, what's up with that "hiver" thing, bug or feature?

Don't forget to join one of the factions in GD - libruls or conservatards. Each of them has some pros and cons, but I'll leave it to you to discover them.

R@S

Scholar
Don't forget to join one of the factions in GD - libruls or conservatards. Each of them has some pros and cons, but I'll leave it to you to discover them.
Captains log, star date four thousand... something... something. Today! I discovered... someone... had been reading... my... personal journal!

Yeah, you guessed right, I'm still kicking butt:smug:

Success! I have gotten my first brofist from DU a game mod some dupe, I consider that a small feather in my cap and a thing to cross off my bucket list. It's a pretty short list since there's always a chance the powers that be might actually read what I write, or Bob forbid, read it before they have had their morning coffee. I have to treat every word as it would be my very last. Exciting!

There's a flaw in the game code, and I plan to exploit that in the most beneficial way, I see other players are already doing the same. When you reply to a post using the "reply" GUI button, there's no easy way to see that this is the case. I discovered this when I replied to this post and got this reply.

The discovery of the above exploit has revealed a weakness in my character build, he's a Swede, English is his second language. I think I made an early mistake when I tried to make his catch-phrase "Get a fucking dictionary, moron". I was called out on it by another player and tried my awsum comic super deflector and above mentioned exploit, it looks like it passed the skill checks.

Another player has advised me to pick a faction, I will consider the pros and cons very carefully, as suggested. First I'll need to do some research on their standpoints on issues important for my character build.

There's the con of joining a faction to suffer the bias of the game mods. Wouldn't it be better to be known as a rouge, like Palin, causing people to wonder what IP I'm posting from and who's alt I might be? I think that would keep the suspense throughout the game in a very rewarding way.

Since I'm playing a Swede, I think his idea of a liberal would look like this:
Look at that face, imagine the young, naive, opinionated attitude coming from that small mouth situated on that "special" face. I can clearly see the benefits of joining that faction, it'll provide hours of angry fapping material for the opposition, much better than imagining Alanis which they currently seem to do. I see no need to bring the the Canadians into this, I've always had the utmost respect for those wankers, they made my favorite game, Jagged Alliance.

There are no real conservatives in Sweden, it's a pretty progressive country, I'll have to go with a well known character:
Consider the empty stare, the chimp like facial features, especially around the ears, it all screams a two digit IQ. Maybe I should pick The Gipper as inspiration instead, he had a much lower IQ than Duh'bya. Being able to play the "it's true because I believe it to be" trump card whenever in a tight spot will probably fix brake the game balance. I can see the appeal tho, it certainly hits all the spots the opposition finds unattractive.

Personally I always avoid getting involved in groupthink, in this case I'm willing to make an exception. Putting square pegs in round holes is already a hobby of mine, this will be an opportunity to practice those finely tuned skills. I just have to pick the nicest looking hole, I'll relish pondering that decision a little while longer before I jump into bed with any other players. Patience is more than a virtue, if used correctly.

A thought that struck me while exploring the game is how sophisticated taste my fellow players have. You can't just post any brain fart and expect to make any progress, you need to show people that you have put in time and effort. In my case I made a few posts a week or so before I told anyone I was playing. That proves I had an idea I thought was worth my time, why should I expect anyone else spending time reading this log if I didn't?

R@S - going down dark rabbit holes and kicking butt since '73

Some final thoughts on meme additions for future jokes.

-Dan-Watson- "hiver, bug or feature?" -KingComrade- -Bugrit- -~Qwinn-

P.S. What's the final solution to the "hiver" question?

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Don't forget to join one of the factions in GD - progressives or conservatives. Each of them has some pros and cons, but I'll leave it to you to discover them.
Fixed for obvious pun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom