Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

UglyBastard

Arcane
Playing BG1+2 with BGT-Mod now, solo run with berserker/thief dualclass.

BG1 was rather dry until I reached Baldur's Gate and I mostly couldn't be bothered to fight the buttloads of kobolds alone, so I went for a 4 man party (+Kagain, Viconia, Imoen) until after Cloakwood when I had some basic tactical options for solo other than praying not be oneshotted by random scrub enemies.
I enjoyed the Iron Throne doppleganger shenanigans and other conspiracy stuff, as well as destroying the enemy party encounters. Too bad there is so much stupid filler combat against gnolls, kobolds, orcs, wolves and other rather dull foes. The game is rather painful until you reach Baldur's Gate, especially the Nashkel mines make me wanna kill myself.
Durlag's tower was also good, but I never liked the werewolf island, it is just so bland.

BG2 was pretty fun so far though, the scrambling and planning to get solo experience is quite intriguing. That was especially true for leveling the thief part of my char, as I dualclassed at level 13 and thieves just suck so much ass in combat, it's unbelievable. Finally unlocking both classes through careful planning was very satisfactory.
Unfortunately now I'm already godlike in chapter 2 and there are very few encounters that I look forward to (already cleared the dragons without trap laming and got myself a shiny ring from Kangaxx), which reminds me of my last solo run that I abandoned in the underdark because I was bored.

Seems like the ascend to godhood is way more engaging than actually being a god. Gotta take a break for now, maybe I can gather some motivation to go on. Didn't clear Watcher's Keep yet, which can be challenging as solo even on higher levels (had to leave before the chromatic demon for some preparations), but after that there's not really much that would scratch me.

Cadmus

Arcane
I'm trying to finish a completely non-lethal run of Deus Ex, been meaning to ever since I found out it was possible. I've been trying to force myself to beat the Baldur's Gate games, and am getting close to finishing the first, but it's pretty boring.

I installed Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines yesterday and it's making it really hard to go back to Baldur's Gate. So immediately engaging and atmospheric... Any beginner tips for it?
My tip is to put stuff into fun skills + hand to hand combat and sneaking, because while boring, hand to hand seemed pretty strong and there are places when youre swarmed and guns just dont cut it. So I had guns for my fun and melee for when they game went retard. Same with sneaking, I found some bugged way to sneak around everyone so that when they game became a shitty shooter, I could avoid everything. For the rest I think you should just take your time and have fun, as long as you got these 2 I think you can't get fucked over by the game requiring you to do something you can't.

Blonsky

Prophet
Pirates of Black Cove
Sailing around in a pirate ship doing missions for different clans. Unfortunately its a very repetitive game. Sailing between missions takes long time and there are no ways to speed it up, in land battles your hero has one skill that it starts with and other skills it gets with level up are passive improvements, collecting ingredients/resources/jokes while sailing gets annoying (some resources are in rivers in the middle of the amazon).
After buying a new ship and better special weapon the sea battle become to easy and boring.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Banana Man : Arkham Hood. You're always getting sidetracked in this game, be it by The Riddler's shenanigans, Zsaz's phone calls, beating up random thugs...etc. It's fun.

Mebber

Educated
Playing through Fo3 now for the first time. Guess i'm halfway through, and i'm not sure i'll finish it. It's huge, sure, but that isn't necessarily a good thing since it's a rather shallow and monotonous experience. There is no real drive to finish the game.

It's not completely bad or boring, though - to explore the soul- and characterless capital wasteland and sack another look-a-like Raider/Mutant/Merccamp number 1476 can be a bit of a fordable pastime after work if my mind is already half asleep. But it's in no way an impressive gaming experience. "Wasting time in the Wastelands"...

I hope New Vegas will be better, it's the next title on my ever-growing list of games i still have to play.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I'm toying with Unity. I'm a game developer now.
MMBCeVH.png

Indie artgame.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I hope New Vegas will be better, it's the next title on my ever-growing list of games i still have to play.

You really should stop FO3 right now and switch to NV. A lot of people couldn't enjoy New Vegas because of the similarity in gameplay when they had just finished F3.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
So I gave Fez another go and spent about 5 hours playing it this time. For a moment I felt like necro'ing the Codex Fez thread but decided against it because I don't really have that much to add to it.

But my experience of the game was this: It can be neatly divided into two parts. One part is an enjoyable puzzle platformer that offers rich and rewarding exploration. The other half is overcomplicated "2deep4u" POINTLESS gameplay mechanics that don't serve ANY purpose except detract from the game.

A perfect example of the last point are the "black holes" that crop up now and again. Always in the same places, specifically placed there to impede something you've already done before. Touching them is instant death, but usually they can be circumvented. Except in a handful of instances where they TOTALLY BLOCK FURTHER PROGRESS if they appear. What to do then? Why, you just leave the area and come back! Odds are good that the black holes will have disappeared in the meantime. If they're this easy to avoid, why bother having them in the first place? Oh, and they become more frequent as you collect more blocks.

The puzzles are a mixed bag as well. Some are good, some are dull as dishwater, some of them are horrible. Meta-game puzzles that force you to own specific electronic devices? What if I don't own a controller with vibrating functions? Or better yet, what if I don't want to own one? What's next? A geocaching puzzle?

The prerequisite for putting in an alien alphabet that needs decyphering is that THERE BETTER BE SOMETHING WORTHWHILE TO DECYPHER. Fez isn't exactly deep on story or character interaction, this isn't Half-Life 2.

For anyone that recommends Fez, I counter by recommending Seiklus instead. It's a much better game that does pretty much the same thing... minus the pretentiousness, developer drama and other crap.

Drew

Savant
Might and Magic X Legacy

Just killed Mamushi and reset the lighthouse, been p. enjoyable so far.

Current party is a dwarf defender tank, orc beserker mdps, elven ranger(?) rdps, and a human mage who will eventually be a healer.
Everything is going p. swell so far.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished 7,62 High Calibre with Blue Sun Mod 2.1. Joined the southamerican huerrilas commanded by young boilblooded daughter of dicktator. And wear Guevara t-shirt (ok, that's quite fit here). I though that she force me to liberate every city in the game, luckly she give me required informations (about the guy who screwed russian mafia who is hunted by the player) and said "come back later and help us". That's the best way you do it, game developers!
I though that 7,62 HC will give me some fun before release of D:OS in potatolande. Welp.
There is last Apeiron game called Man of Prey, have huge potential (and if you readed LP on lparchive then you know how interesing this game is) but I'm tired with tactical game now, maybe later.
PS. if you have 7,62 HC on Steam and want to play Blue Sun Mod (surely you want) go to gaming Properties->Beta, choose new option and that's all.
Hope that R@S will finish (translation, fixes) other mods soon.

There was mission with prison escaping (with mentioned guerrila boss), thing was - random necounter meter was way higher.
Surely everyone tried to spank that only white ass in the entire Arulco Palinero.
Should mention that ambushes in that game deserve that name. Being surrounded by mercenaries and bandits (20+) and dying from single shot and lack of cover is goldmine of rage.

Tried Divine Divinity as a mage was good idea. Spent some time cleaning tombs under first village. Kinda shame that I'm tired with melee in h'n's genre, heard that's good in Divinity series.

Some screenshots
Just look at that trustful face. Yeah, that's the main boss. If you entered city behind him - you won.
iUKnbS26KovMU.jpg

Those greenhorns are amusing sometimes...
ibyZK88uPrgDTW.jpg

Challenge is one thing. Assholism of game creators is other. Civils ofter run on your line of shooting. But this?
i9RaUQvHjXHXc.jpg

Amusing thing - if you interrupt player activity he may stuck in some objects. This ex-cop was ordered to run in somewhere, canceled order and when I was wondering why she don't do anything.... obviously died after screenshotting cause area was swarmed (there is 3x more enemies than red squares in lower right corner).
i85lCw2JTDZyF.jpg

Last edited:

Humppaleka

Cipher
Finished Book of Unwritten Tales. It was... okay I guess. The best chapters were the first two, then it slowly ran out of steam and the ending was horrible. The references and breaking the 4th wall went way over the top too and I got distracted way too much from the actual game when there is a constant barrage of "funny" references and jokes, which work maybe 40% of the time for me.

Comte

I finished Shadowrun: Dragonfall yesterday. I enjoyed it and hope they make another official add-on. I started playing Tex Murphy: Under a killing moon. I haven't played it since I was a teen.

circ

Arcane
I played some more Oblivion. This time I explored some side quests. Hmm.

When I previously played this many years ago I had just become champion of the arena and been asked to break into some guys house and then off I went to find Martin. And then I quitted after Adoring Fan fell from some ruin.

So yeah. How did Ken Rolston go from Morrowind to this. I've said harsh things about Fallout 3 and it's all true but this thing... OBLIVION IS HIGH FANTASY FOR FUCKING BABBIES.

NO AMOUNT OF BALACING MODS WILL FIX IT YOU FUCKING RETARDS. BETHESDA THINKS YOU ARE RETARDS.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Divinity, more Divinity and some more Divinity in this last week. Have more hours in it this last 7 days than I have work hours.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
For me right now:
A lot of Divinity. It's better than I thought (but not as great as the Codex wants it to be).
PS:T, 'cause I finally want to finish it. I don't think I need to say a lot about it. Just wonderful!
Tomorrow I'll play the last episode of The Wolf among us, which I like a lot. It's basically like TWD with an pretty innovative setting.
And I'm waiting for The walking dead S02E04. Lots of fun, but 'til now not as special as season one.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I finished KOTOR. Getting the CD version to run on Win 7 64-bit was a fucking pain, random CTDs everywhere, some movies crashed the game, and unlike KOTOR 2 there doesn't seem to be a proper widescreen patch for it so I played it in 4:3. Sure, the second game is better in almost every way (and with TSLRCM, a more polished experience in 2014), but it's still a pretty decent Star Wars power fantasy experience. The endgame was actually satisfying and not a horrific nonsensical mess. Don't think I'll be going Skyway on this though.

Also Div:OS co-op with RK47.

Deleted member 7219

Finished two games.

I enjoyed The Wolf Among Us. Ok, turns out your choices don't really have that much consequence other than deciding who hates you at the story's end, but I liked the characters, the voice acting and the story overall. There were some good action sequences and opportunities to be a dick, which I liked. I'm a sucker for Telltale games though (or, The Walking Dead at least).

Wolfenstein: The New Order was ok, but not among the best shooters I've played. I think Return to Castle Wolfenstein is better. The main problem with Wolfenstein was the Bethesda-ised fairytale story and the horrible engine inherited from iD.

Just abandoned my first character in Divinity: Original Sin and rerolled, I had got about 8 hours in but made some silly choices as far as my build went. So I'm starting again. Also playing The Banner Saga.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I enjoyed The Wolf Among Us. Ok, turns out your choices don't really have that much consequence other than deciding who hates you at the story's end, but I liked the characters, the voice acting and the story overall. There were some good action sequences and opportunities to be a dick, which I liked. I'm a sucker for Telltale games though (or, The Walking Dead at least).

Would you say the two last episodes are any good if I only enjoyed episode 1? The latter episodes were very short and very light on content, imo.

Deleted member 7219

Would you say the two last episodes are any good if I only enjoyed episode 1? The latter episodes were very short and very light on content, imo.

I've been reading the Telltale forums and there are some disappointed people on there who liked episode 1, but not the later episodes. I do remember there being a bit more puzzle solving in the early episodes and different paths to take, which could result in you missing important clues. The later episodes racked up the drama instead. If you were hoping for something more detective-y, and more like an old school point and click, you'll be disappointed. The Wolf Among Us is basically an interactive movie just like TWD.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I see, thanks. That is a bit disappointing, because the 1st episode showed some promise. I guess I'll just wait for a bundle or higher discount.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom