Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

tindrli

Arcane

the firs one is very hard due to the fact that english is not my native language so i was out of ideas pretty fast a

and second was bugged god damn.. it freezed on level 7 :rage:

CiZn6l.png

Astral Rag

Arcane
Just finished Muri, very enjoyable little game.

This is basically a love letter to early Apogee and early id games. If you grew up with games like Commander Keen, DN1, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure etc. you will probably also enjoy this one, Muri even has diskette and joystick pickups :cool:

All 4 episodes are unlocked from the start, this is a good thing because you can't save your progress.

The game is also pretty short (took me about 2 hours on normal) and there is no in-game music.

Still this is "retro" done right, controls are good, visuals and sound fx (faux pc speaker) are great, difficulty is mostly just right, there are many secrets to discover... certainly worth the 2€ Steam is currently asking.

Last edited:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Been toying around with some old favourites of mine in Dosbox when I decided to look back to Dune. The original Cryo blend of an adventure and strategy game. I played the original version on an amiga and later the cd-rom one on a pc. The cd-rom is a talkie with all sorts of short clips from the movie used as a narrative and in the lexicon of the game. Quite impressive for the time, especially with decent acting and good lipsynching. What does drag it down is that they implemented a lot of that ugly early rendered art in the flying and outdoors sections. Not to mention that some of the amazing music of the original is replaced by tracks that just aren't as good. In the end I really feel that the original is the best. Cryo was known for its splendid art direction more than for the gameplay aspects and while missing the voices is a let-down the original still has better music and amazing 2d art instead of ugly renders. Highly recommended.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Yup. And like most renderings they didn't hold up. Not to mention that the art direction in general went to shite. Just a tiny example.

Original Dune logo in the amiga and dos diskette versions of the game.
nUXBPbi.png

Cdrom version logo as it appears in the game. Nuff said.
zzWJ4Xa.jpg

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I, too, prefer the look of the the DOS diskette version of Cryo's Dune to the CD-ROM version. The 3D scenes, like the Atreides palace, the sietches, vegetation and flying sequences don't mesh with the style of the rest of the game. I played both the DOS and CD-ROM versions, but I didn't notice any missing/different music (but I played them several years apart, so it may be bad memory on my part).

Two interesting features of the CD-ROM version is the ability to play the soundtrack CD-style, so that the music doesn't interrupt every time you fly an orni, enter the palace, check out the stats, etc; and the ability to switch the text to Fremen (!).

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Also recently replaying Dune, and actually first time trying the CD-ROM version. Was amused at the addition of this:

ltxVdvA.jpg

Not sure what you mean by the art direction being changed, apart from the main logo, I don't see many differences?

Actually it still has the same soundtrack by Stephane Picq that I remember from the floppy version...? Exactly these:
http://www.grandgent.com/tom/dune/dunemp3s.htm

Also, I really enjoy the voice acting, I think it's quite good.

Edit; I see I apparently played even another version. The version I remmebered had no voices, no video from the movie, but it had the music from that page (seems to me to be Picq's original tracks), no CD-style music and Fremen text, and it didnt have people swoing datapads with amounts of spice, but it did have the 3d renders. It was the DOS floppy version perhaps, it being different from the Amiga one.

Last edited:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Dos floppy version is basically the same as the amiga one. The cdrom version had 3d renders and little additions like the Fremen text and the gadgets. Not to mention the rather neat voice acting. You most likely played a ripped version.

In the end it's pretty much in the eye of the beholder. I prefer the imo better art direction of the floppy version and am willing to forego the voice acting.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Also recently replaying Dune, and actually first time trying the CD-ROM version. Was amused at the addition of this:
The reason why Duncan, Emperor Shaddam IV and the smugglers have the gadgets for showing spice quantities is because the number is dynamic and it would not have been feasible to have them pronounce it because either it would require thousands of numbers being recorded, or used text-to speech to read the number, in which case it would sound like a phone operator reading the time with awkward pauses.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
If you like the soundtrack, try to get the Spice Opera CD.
I did :smug:
The Spice Opera CD is super-rare and Stephane Picq doesn't have the rights to it so it can't re-released until EMI decides to do so, since they bought Virgin Records.

To be honest, I prefer the Roland MT-32 version of the music (true story: I have a CD with Dune and Dune 2000 music for driving). The Spice Opera has too many bells and whistles for my taste.

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Picq kinda condones piracy in this case since the album's rights are out of his hands for three decades and EMI is just sitting on them without doing anything at all with it, so he'd rather see it distributed illegaly than fade to oblivion. Doesn't make it legal at all but I can understand how frustrating this must be for him as an artist.

dunno lah

Arcane
Mission 8 of Crusader No Remorse.

I think I've died more times in this game than I have in the Souls games. Starting to get a little better with the controls, fortunately. The game looks bloody good when I switch the output to OpenGL_HQ but when a Vetron comes into the picture, things get real laggy. Coupled with the keyboard lag I'm having, I'm always overshooting the desired angle of rotation.

Oh yeah, best track in the game........so far:

laclongquan

Arcane
Finish Suikoden 1 in one go. This game is easy to play. It is easy, but the gameplay make it easy to speed up, ì you know what I mean.

Playing Suikoden 2. Compare to 1, it's clunkier. They add more stories and RPG elements into the sequel, so it's cluttered. It's hard to speed up. Limited inventory than Sui1 which really suck. I mean, you get an entire castle's warehouse space and you have space for a little more than team inventory? Fuck your innovation! Imma try to last until I can get to Viki. Just cant wait~

Astral Rag

Arcane
Crusader No Remorse.

Awesome game(s). Weird to hear you're having issues, I replayed both Crusader games last year and don't recall any performance/ input issues other than slightly wonky mouse but who uses a mouse to play Crusader :rpgcodex: .

Already tried to tinker with other DosBox settings?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BattleBlock Theater while waiting for Divinity: Original Sin codes to be in my possession.

circ

Arcane
Oblivion.

Umh. I used my GOTY edition, installed Shivering Isles and KOTN and that's it. Added some unofficial patches I hadn't used before. Not sure if I need to add some kind of 4gb memory fix etc. It's amazing, no make that AMAZING - how far the combat engine and some animations have come in Skyrim. Horse riding in Oblivion is pretty much unbearable. And the dungans are undetailed pieces of crap. I played for a few hours, which is probably longer than I originally ever did. Ignored main quest just ran around the countryside. God those faces.

All that said, the wilderness, cities with some exceptions and especially building interiors are a lot better in Oblivion and the townsfolk despite retarded speeches about MUDCRABS LUL I HATE THEM, are a lot more believable and overall the whole thing feels more like the RPG it tries to be than Skyrim ever was. And despite killing quite a few people and raising up sneakers and athletics and jumping something - I'm still level 1, which makes sense; in Skyrim I would be level 10 by now.

If this trend continues I guess TESVI will have truly awesome combat and story and dialogue that will make you slit your wrists.

sbb

Learned
Oblivion.

Umh. I used my GOTY edition, installed Shivering Isles and KOTN and that's it.
I thought the Shivering Isles was pretty incredible, I had way more fun in that than I had in the base game.
kotn can suck my balls though

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Well - being better than vanilla Oblivion isn't much of an achievement, but I will admit to really liking Shivering Isles as well. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom