Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah, these boss fights are nuts. I dropped after that point.

So I decided to try Doom, first one. Finished basic 3 episodes and got blast. I used Brutal Doom and music from PSX version (thanks to some codexer that name I forgot).

Tried Doom2 and...urm... only good thing here is double-barrel shotgun. Levels are not that fun, no idea why. I'm on 9th level and don't have will to continue.
I gave try to Final Doom: Plutonia and it's better than Doom2, not that exhausting in terms of levels.

FFS why that guy upgrade BrutalDoom constantly when BrutalHexen is still in beta? :raeg:

After that I will definitely give a try to Quake1.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Doom 2 has a notable slump in its levels around level 9, but picks up again around level 12 (Factory) and 13 (Downtown).

BTW, play Ultimate Doom and get the 4th episode, Thy Flesh Consumed. Level 4-2 can be challenging.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Doom 2 has a notable slump in its levels around level 9, but picks up again around level 12 (Factory) and 13 (Downtown).

BTW, play Ultimate Doom and get the 4th episode, Thy Flesh Consumed. Level 4-2 can be challenging.

I have whole Doom collection avaliable on Steam (want to buy Quake1 and Hexen/Heretic collection soon), just like other deals on it - I got someday some urge and time to test that stuff I bought times ago.
I played first level of 4th episode and was fun but went to Doom2 and being dissapointed so better to come back.

Other shooter - Shadow Warrior from 1997. Less shooting but fuck the difficulty spike and AI with autoaim that drain your HP like mad. Even Tiny Grasshooper (Easy) kick ass. At least levels are good. No idea if ever finish it.
Not sure if SW was made really by devs or outsourced to some russians who make games challenging even on Easy...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Other shooter - Shadow Warrior from 1997. Less shooting but fuck the difficulty spike and AI with autoaim that drain your HP like mad. Even Tiny Grasshooper (Easy) kick ass. At least levels are good. No idea if ever finish it.
Not sure if SW was made really by devs or outsourced to some russians who make games challenging even on Easy...

YOU WEAK LIKE BABY FART

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Second playtrough of Grimrock. GOTY 2012 hands down. And that menu music :negative:

Also playing Xpand Rally (from Techland before they got popular with the Juarez games). Arguably the best rally game thus far.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Risen still. Getting closer to the end, and I just can't be arsed to fight the same enemies in the same locations over and over anymore. And it doesn't help that the last big quest is a huge fetch quest. Whee.

For the first 2 chapters it is a solid 9/10 game though.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Finished Wasteland 2, final verdict: GOOD FOR WHAT IT IS™

Started playing Escape from Butcher Bay for the first time. I thought this was supposed to be a stealth game? All I've been doing so far is beating up bad guys.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Oh shit, son. The game selection is gettin' real. Check it:
No One Livers Forever - I shouldn't have to 'splain this one to this forum, although I myself had never played past Morocco until this week. For some reason, this game reminds me of Perfect Dark, which is a good thing. Oh, hip-fire, how I've missed you. Butter smooth engine, awesome scenario variety, sweet-spot combination of stealth and run and gun options, and expert stealth is more challenging to pull off than Dishonored, Shitstain: Pollution, Qui4f. Timing, position, and accuracy are so important to get that 0 detections, 0 bodies found in Berlin. Very tactical. Level design is magnifique; it's linear enough for the popamole crowd and to keep the forward momentum going, but still feels like an actual space and you're not pushed forward ceaselessly. It's pretty much an optimal FPS if there ever was one, and I think a new entryl that isn't dumbed down for the current market would still do well. But since it's a good idea, it won't ever happen. More SpecBros and SpessBros for us.
:salute:

One of the greatest FPSes of all time. Be sure to check out it's sequel too, it's not as epic but still pretty good. Also try out Shogo. Oh classic Monolith, how I miss you :negative:

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
I have decided I need to actually finish this damned BG2 before Christmas, when I'll actually have some time to play the new shiny releases from this year. I've been playing at it for about a year and a half, on and off. It's rather tedious and repetitive at times, so that's why I find myself postponing it again and again. Am doing it for the setting and D&D stuff, mostly. I've done a ton of side quests before actually siding with the Shadow Thieves, so atm I have a shit-ton of moneyz and some seriously good gear on my party.

I've just finished Bodhi's dungeon and had my first fight with Irenicus. And now I need to follow his ass to some elven village somewhere. This game-- is so-- damned long :negative:

Also playing matches of DoW1 and CS from time to time. Tried a bit of the backer beta of POE but it was just too messy and I would've just spoiled the fun from the final release. Looked p good though

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you do /everything/ for the first time you might well spend 120 hours depending on your pace. At least 60, though.

(For comparison, even the ultra-long cutscene and combat heavy JRPG Persona 4 took 'only' 90 hours)

Deleted member 7219

Just completed the original Rome 2 Grand Campaign in co-op with a friend.

Currently playing Wasteland 2. Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC next on list once I'm done with WL2.

Deleted member 7219

I've gotten into Dungeon Siege 3. (Don't ask.)

Ehregott on Hardcore is one of the most difficult fights I've ever had in an action game, and I cleared God Hand on Hard without continuing. Jesus.

I had to drop the difficulty down for the boss fights too.

Dungeon Siege 3 is worth playing for the conversations and certain story points which are true Obsidian.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I actually liked the fighting. Like, a lot. It was very reactive. It wasn't very complex at all, though, so the game almost felt a little too long. Yeah, stone me, but the combat system didn't have enough depth for a game that takes 10-20 hour to beat (depending in play-style and difficulty level). Also, the DLC breaks the game as there is no need to use any other ability other than the ultimate ability the second you get it. Also the game felt like they wanted to do a lot more, but then ended up working on other projects instead. I did notice that the DLC tab has a lot of free slots. Kind of sad, I really enjoyed my time with the game. I'd give it an easy 5/10, which to me is 'average' and I consider that not bad at all.

I ended up keeping the difficulty on Hardcore all the way, but must remark that nobody seems to have actually playtested the game too well on that difficulty. Some bosses are extremely difficult, and you can't always help it as it depends on your build, items and character. Anjali and Ehregott stand out as being ridiculously hard as Katarina, Anjali because she requires good reflexes and isn't easy to stagger and Ehregott because you have very little chance to hit him at all since the battle arena is just crawling with adds and projectiles, too many to block, and I play a lot of hard games. On the other hand, the DLC then gives you an ability that, at least on Katarina, can crit for 11K damage, and can be spammed, rendering the game very easy. (Though you still die in 1-4 hits, depending on the attack and your items)

The Obsidian writing also came through, but I ignored 100% of the lore as the setting or plot didn't draw me in enough to care. But as Matt said, in dialogues, Obsidian quality shines through. A little wasted on an action game.

Machocruz

Arcane
Started up some Sims 4. First time playing one of these. I don't know what the kodex konsensus is on this series, but I'm having fun with it. It may be "casual" but it still has more (and more interesting) complexity and requires more attention than your Bioshocks, Skyrims and AssCreeds. One problem is how some things like Aspirations and job pay scale relative to your lifespan. I suppose it's realistic that you would be an elder by the time you achieved something like Mansion Baron in real life, but there don't seem to be any chances to amass wealth in your younger years, to become a Zuckerberg. This was before I found out you could change your extend or turn off aging time, but still. I was halfway to Elder before I completed the Painter Extraordinaire aspiration, and then only with a sparse social life and multiple paintings per day. But I'm still learning the game, how home furnishings effect duration of tasks, etc.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I have returned to video gaming after a 4 month sabbatical by playing Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut. I am 4 hours in and have 4 missions to do at once, so already it's ten times better than the first Shadowrun Returns game.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
If you do /everything/ for the first time you might well spend 120 hours depending on your pace. At least 60, though.

(For comparison, even the ultra-long cutscene and combat heavy JRPG Persona 4 took 'only' 90 hours)

I've just reached the Sea Devils bit. Oh ma gad, the rail-roading :negative:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I think you only have about 10-20 hours or so (as long as Dungeon Siege 3 takes from start to finish) to go, depending on your pace and zeal. The game wraps up rather suddenly after all that freedom in the first act. Still an enjoyable game. Many of us played it when it first came out and it was far more enjoyable back then. This should be the game Bioware/Black Isle should be remembered for. The writing isn't anything good or special but it had a real sense of adventure and D&Ding. You went into dungeons and got loot, you did quests and explored cities. It got that elusive spirit of adventure that a lot of modern games kind of fail at capturing.

wakfu, because i really wanted to keep hating myself.
instead, i found a half decent game.
turn based tactical combat, a small number of skills (just 20 and 5 more passives) but all extremely different, some classes are very hard and complex to use.
grindy, definitely, but way less than dofus and which an anti-bot system which greatly rewards players.

also, (and now i'll draw the whole codex population into the game) there's tasteful rape.
no kidding. sometimes one of the wild animals gets horny, chases a female of the same race and fucks her.

remington server, the international one. come and join me, steam nick "MadMaxHellfire".

Last edited:

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
I think you only have about 10-20 hours or so (as long as Dungeon Siege 3 takes from start to finish) to go, depending on your pace and zeal. The game wraps up rather suddenly after all that freedom in the first act. Still an enjoyable game. Many of us played it when it first came out and it was far more enjoyable back then. This should be the game Bioware/Black Isle should be remembered for. The writing isn't anything good or special but it had a real sense of adventure and D&Ding. You went into dungeons and got loot, you did quests and explored cities. It got that elusive spirit of adventure that a lot of modern games kind of fail at capturing.

Yes, I truly did enjoy the first part of the game, where you're free to roam Athkatla and go about on all sorts of quests and exploration. Top notch D&D experience right there. I'm also still enjoying encountering all the iconic monsters, items and spells. Combat is pretty bland for most encounters, where I just leave my three fighter-type characters to deal with it. But for the few encounters with magic-users and more challenging enemies, the game truly shines and you can see that in fact it offers a ton of options to choose from.

This was amusing:
guxClzZ.png

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
See now, that just pisses me off. Spectators have FOUR eyestalks.

I should know, I played one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom