Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Plunderin' the high seas with a merry band of salty seamen in AC4.
No rape, sadly. But otherwise surprisingly not completely terrible. Probably because it's almost not an AC game, apart from a few points in the main plot.
One thing that's disappointing me to no end is that you can't switch ships: I wouldn't mind wreaking some havoc flying a galleon, but am stuck with some dinky brig that can magically carry 50 cannon at 15 knots and not sink immediately. Meh.
Still, not a bad pirate game to sink a few dozen hours in.

Monad

Learned
AC4 was ok, but it had hardly any of the present day story which is the more interesting stuff to me.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
See now, that just pisses me off. Spectators have FOUR eyestalks.

I should know, I played one.
w2oTL5I.png

I can totally see the resemblance :troll:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Doing a crapton of quests in Blackguards. I was stuck on a quest "New Maiden". I have been stubborn and tried to complete it as soon as it was available to me, but I got the crap beaten out of me every time. I ended up doing several side quests, including the optional arena battles. I got back to the New Maiden quest and beat it fairly easy. It was still not a walk in the park.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
Finished BG2 at long last. What a piece of shit. :rpgcodex:

Seriously now, that last part of the game was so railroady and gloriously rage-inducing. I was so sick of all the fetch and filler quests that by the end I just set the game to Easy and cheesed my way through it. Couldn't be bothered to give a damn if the devs themselves obviously didn't (or did but were just retards). What in the bloody hell? This is it? This is the all-time greatest rpg? Fuck, man, even the vanilla bug-filled Gothic craps on it from a distance. And then people complain about filler / fetch quests in MMOs nowadays. Pff.

'Bring my eggs from the drow so I let you pass'
'Bring the whatever artifact that was stolen from us to gain access to Suldanesselar'
'Fetch a bazillion little shits to access the temple'
'Fetch the tears of Bhaal to face Irenicus'

:negative:

Good parts? Yes, of course. The story was p good all in all. Plenty of interesting characters and nice twists and turns. The amount of options in combat is pretty exciting, i.e. spells / special items / abilities. And the first part of the game is just golden. The exploration and free questing is an absolute delight. potato/10. Would only recommend to people passionate about D&D.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So here I am, just chillin', turning on the old PS3 (it's retrogaming, now) thinking I'm going to make some progress on Uncharted 3.

I load the savegame, push three times the jump button, cutscene and.... credits roll.

I hate it when that happens.

Now downloading Shadowrun. Which means I'll be playing TESO, Ultima 1, and Shadowrun. Lots of incline there.

baturinsky

Arcane
Thief Gold, Thief 2, TheDarkMod

Thief Gold: first level ok, then come all that undead and hammerites and combat.

Thief 2: great, at level 10 now. I'm noticing so many things that was assimilated into System Shock 2 with minimal changes. Also, many flashbacks to Thief 1 made me go and finished level 2 of T1 (prison). But then - again zombies. Will they ever end?

TheDarkMod: cool graphics, though not by modern standards. Tried one mission, about weeping statue. Not very good. Started with a hammerite without any ways to sneak by. Had to just run by him. Then, nice chapel, but with pointless copypasted catacombs underneath. Too much clutter makes it often hard to say what is interactable and what is just scenery.

Combat (which means: sneaking up and knocking off) mechanics is same in all three and pretty annoying. Mobs suddenly turn back to me all the time. Lost of quickloading ensues.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thief Gold: first level ok, then come all that undead and hammerites and combat.

Thief 2: great, at level 10 now. I'm noticing so many things that was assimilated into System Shock 2 with minimal changes. Also, many flashbacks to Thief 1 made me go and finished level 2 of T1 (prison). But then - again zombies. Will they ever end?

Level 2 has a few undead down in the mines. Level 3 is ALL Undead except for a few Burricks. Level 7 has some Undead, and finally Level 12 is FULL of Undead. Other levels either have no Undead or only one or two or them.

By comparison, Thief 2 has like 8 undead in total throughout the game. There's one in Level 10 and another in Level 11, but after that you're done.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The many undead were one of the things people didn't like about Thief 1 but on replaying the game years after they're actually kind of neat in a D&D sort of way. Thief 1 has a lot of you being basically Indiana Jones. It's fun!

TripJack

Hedonist
whats wrong with zombies :rpgcodex:

i thought cragscleft was a little weaker than the rest but the other undead missions are easily among the best levels in Thief 1

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
Started playing the expansion for BG2. Helped Countess Santele rescue her son. She gives me 2000 gold saying it's all she's got. I go looking into a chest in her room: 1 gold piece extra. Lying bitch. :rpgcodex:

gromit

Arcane
TheDarkMod: cool graphics, though not by modern standards. Tried one mission, about weeping statue. Not very good. Started with a hammerite without any ways to sneak by. Had to just run by him. Then, nice chapel, but with pointless copypasted catacombs underneath. Too much clutter makes it often hard to say what is interactable and what is just scenery.
There's A way around him. It's... literally under a pile of clutter. Why they didn't let me go over the roofs where that bottleneck tunnel is, I don't know, but it's invisible-walled. Took me a while to figure a way up there, and that was my reward :(

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Fuck yeah. Zombies.

I have never went far in Thief, years ago when I tried it, because I thought that gameplay element in itself ruined all the fucking point. Yet, I am aware that I have missed a classic and I am compelled to give it a change again but uggghhh those zombies :(

baturinsky

Arcane
Fuck yeah. Zombies.

I have never went far in Thief, years ago when I tried it, because I thought that gameplay element in itself ruined all the fucking point. Yet, I am aware that I have missed a classic and I am compelled to give it a change again but uggghhh those zombies :(
Have you tried Thief 2? It's better by far. Enemies have no eyes on back of their heads, levels are not just a lot of copypasted rooms, etc. And yes, barely any zombies.

whats wrong with zombies

i thought cragscleft was a little weaker than the rest but the other undead missions are easily among the best levels in Thief 1

Third mission in T1 (also with lots of zombies) is the worst. Not because of zombies, but because there are endless corridors, all alike, and you walk with a speed of pregnant snail. I have found the horn, but after considering perspectives of spending another several hours looking for gem and loot to get to quota, I just cheated myself to next level.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The impression someone takes of Thief after having only played Lord Bafford's Manor. His words are true there (and in the Mage's Guild later on) but otherwise Thief has a rather tight level design.

*doesn't mention Thieves's Guild on purpose* :M

baturinsky

Arcane
The impression someone takes of Thief after having only played Lord Bafford's Manor. His words are true there (and in the Mage's Guild later on) but otherwise Thief has a rather tight level design.

*doesn't mention Thieves's Guild on purpose* :M

More like, first four missions (not including tutorial). And in contrast to Thief 2.

TripJack

Hedonist
Fuck yeah. Zombies.

what was the fucking point that got ruined exactly

Not because of zombies, but because there are endless corridors, all alike
:0/5:
Tg_m4_editor_colored.gif

hallsofechoingrepose.gif

if by all alike you mean they all the rooms have floors, walls, and a ceiling ya you are absolutely right

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Fuck yeah. Zombies.

what was the fucking point that got ruined exactly

I came in expecting a game that was about sneaking in high security places, manors, things like that. My memory is probably a bit fuzzy, but from the moment the game turns into a "survival horror" mood, even though it keeps the stealth gameplay, it loses a huge bit of its appeal to me. Also, I hate respawning enemies with a passion, and IIRC, those zombies could be killed only with great difficulty.

I also like to point out that I hate it when a game starts being oppressive/scary . I'm not shocked by gore, but scary games like Silent Hill, any thing with a heavily scary ambiance is not for me. There are parts in Thief 1 that felt a bit like that to me, IIRC.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's what Thief 2 is for. Thief 1 is an adventure game. Think of it as a D&D rogue simulator. Ever played one in D&D? You're absolute garbage in a fight mano a mano and you suck ass vs the undead, but the party will still send you out to scout alone because they're faggots. That's exactly what Thief 1 is like. Being an AD&D rogue being sent into various places on quests. And I love it,

Also, you're very right about the oppressive/scary ambience. Personally I think it's a great strength of Thief 1, greater than Thief 2, but naturally if you don't like it you'll enjoy Thief 1 a whole lot less. (Which is unfortunate, honestly: games with that sort of oppressive mood are actually really rare. I can only name a handful on the spot; Silent Hill, Scratches, Thief 1, System Shock 1 & 2, PT... I wish they made more games like that. I thrive on those moods, I really do. They cause me very strong emotions.)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I came in expecting a game that was about sneaking in high security places, manors, things like that. My memory is probably a bit fuzzy, but from the moment the game turns into a "survival horror" mood, even though it keeps the stealth gameplay, it loses a huge bit of its appeal to me. Also, I hate respawning enemies with a passion, and IIRC, those zombies could be killed only with great difficulty.

Technically they never respawn, they just pretend to die then come back when you get too close to them. Only when the corpse "explodes" do they really die, but keep in mind that if you're too close (sword striking distance) then a flying piece of corpse can kill you.

So what kills a zombie? If it's lying still and unalert then one fire arrow will 'splode the corpse. I think a single Holy Water Arrow will do the same. If the zombie is up and about then it becomes a lot harder, but as long as its unaware of you then a single fire arrow does the trick, as will a single mine. I think two Holy Water Arrows will be needed against a walking zombie that's unaware.

But here's the secret not many Thief players seem to know about: Undead take damage from Flash Bombs. Unaware undead die from just two Flash bombs thrown in quick succession. Flash Mines in Thief 2 also do the trick, though the scarcity of Undead make that a rather moot point.

But the best weapon against Zombies is, and has always been, speed. Garrett moves much faster than the zombies and can easily lose them. You can use this to your advantage to get a horde of zombies to follow you, then chuck fire arrows/Holy Water Arrows/Flash Bombs at them and kill them wholesale.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom