Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Diablo169

Arcane
Different or better? Like, should I bother with 3 or go straight to 4?

From what i've read there isnt a lot of difference between the two. I think the campaign in 4 is supposed to be better though?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
After more than a week and several tries manage to finish the first mission of the Anno 1503 campaign. Man is that a hard one for a first level. Or maybe i suck. Either way, good game. Anno 1602 had much easier requirements for the levels. At least for the beginning.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I started playing Populous II again, for the first time in maybe 17 years. It's still good but it crashes a lot. Are the Black & White games worth playing?

St. Toxic

Arcane
Are the Black & White games worth playing?

Don't think so, really. In my experience, the first few minutes of getting accustomed to the game are the most fun, as the concept itself shows so much promise and is so reminiscent of earlier God-games, but the overall experience is a somewhat tedious and simplistic grind and the more time you invest the less fun it becomes. However, I only tried multiplayer on a few rare occasions; maybe a match or two would be worth it for the experience alone, if you haven't tried the games at all. It'll still take ages to slog through a versus match, but at least you'll get the basic condensed campaign experience without actually having to do the campaign.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Trying Gekokujo mod for Warband. The lack of shields is killing me.

Is this mod good?
From my impressions playing as a freelancer not yet pledged to any faction:
- Cavalry is pretty sparse, hard to get via promotion and doesn't seem to be that effective (lack of lances).
- Troop trees among factions seems the same across the board, only difference between an 'Oda skirmisher' and a 'Tokugawa' one are the appearance of the armour pieces.
- Sieges are definitely much better than vanilla, no cramming by climbing towards the wall. Instead its set like one of those village rescue missions but with watchtowers and other chokepoints like bridges.

I think it's alright but nothing really special.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Currently playing Raiden Fighters 2(from Raiden Legacy), Raiden 3, Hidden and Dangerous 2 and finally beating Lu Bu ass in Dinasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends(I new world, from my design, shall rise among the chaos).

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I started playing Populous II again, for the first time in maybe 17 years. It's still good but it crashes a lot. Are the Black & White games worth playing?
Most definitely. There is nothing like them out there. Black&White is one my all time favs despite the flaws. Way ahead of its time in most respects. Also Black&White 2 looks absolutely gorgeous, 7 years later. It was the best looking game of 2005, bar none.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Currently playing Raiden Fighters 2(from Raiden Legacy), Raiden 3, Hidden and Dangerous 2 and finally beating Lu Bu ass in Dinasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends(I new world, from my design, shall rise among the chaos).

Hidden & Dangerous 2. That was a great game. Shame that you can't play it in co-op, only the expansion but those missions was not as good.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

Hidden & Dangerous 2. That was a great game. Shame that you can't play it in co-op, only the expansion but those missions was not as good.
I'm ashamed to say i'm sucking too much. 3 saves per mission is a pain in the ass.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wasteland 2 (fun enough)
Human Revolution (it's well-made, but too hipster in some ways)
Doom 3 (ech)

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Steamworld Dig: This is one of those indie "one-trick-pony" games. The premise is nice, but games like Minecraft and Terraria have it beat. Has a high production value.
I've been playing this one as well, but I can't agree with your criticism - maybe I've not advanced far enough though (the game feels a bit grindy) I just found the "Old World" level:
Minecraft and Terraria rely heavily on crafting, and so far I have not seen any crafting in Steamworld Dig. So comparing to MineCraft (especially) and in a lesser way to Terraria seems a bit off. I would rather criticise the game for repetitive gameplay - the digging part gets boring, you knly look for mines where you have puzzle-like levels. And grind grind for $ -> upgrade equipment -> dig more -> etc. But for a couple of $ nice past-time due to good 2D gfx and keyboard controls that are not shit.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I could have been more clear on that point, let me elaborate.

The "one-trick" pony element is mining for resources, just like Minecraft and Terraria do. Only they do it better. Because while Steamworld Dig, like you say, only turns those resources into $, which is used to upgrade your gear, the other two games use the resources (and a crafting system) to upgrade your equipment.

In other words, Steamword Dig is a simplified version of the "mining resources" aspect of the two aforementioned games.

Divinity: Original Sin
I came in expecting a game that was about sneaking in high security places, manors, things like that. My memory is probably a bit fuzzy, but from the moment the game turns into a "survival horror" mood, even though it keeps the stealth gameplay, it loses a huge bit of its appeal to me. Also, I hate respawning enemies with a passion, and IIRC, those zombies could be killed only with great difficulty.

Technically they never respawn, they just pretend to die then come back when you get too close to them. Only when the corpse "explodes" do they really die, but keep in mind that if you're too close (sword striking distance) then a flying piece of corpse can kill you.

So what kills a zombie? If it's lying still and unalert then one fire arrow will 'splode the corpse. I think a single Holy Water Arrow will do the same. If the zombie is up and about then it becomes a lot harder, but as long as its unaware of you then a single fire arrow does the trick, as will a single mine. I think two Holy Water Arrows will be needed against a walking zombie that's unaware.

But here's the secret not many Thief players seem to know about: Undead take damage from Flash Bombs. Unaware undead die from just two Flash bombs thrown in quick succession. Flash Mines in Thief 2 also do the trick, though the scarcity of Undead make that a rather moot point.

But the best weapon against Zombies is, and has always been, speed. Garrett moves much faster than the zombies and can easily lose them. You can use this to your advantage to get a horde of zombies to follow you, then chuck fire arrows/Holy Water Arrows/Flash Bombs at them and kill them wholesale.

When I first played thief gold, I instantly became a black-jacker. I'd black jack everyone. The came the cragscleft mission, and then, Zombies. Blackjack them, I did. Only pissed them off. So I just substituted the black jack with a sword, and hit them on the head when they are unaware. they fall to the ground. Of course, they can be up again, but just beat then on the ground with your sword and they'll eventually explode.

spekkio

Arcane
Finished Witcher 2.

Oh, boy. :(
When some people were shouting "Popamole decline!!1!" I was sure they're exaggerating. After all, tWitcher 1 was a p. good game, despite its flaws. Why would the devs decline the sequel, when they already got some decent gameplay concepts established?
Well, I don't know what happened, but W2 feels and plays like a perfect example of a next-gen game: video game developed by people, who seem to have no clue about video games. There are simply way too many glaring flaws, which can't be dismissed with "oh, they somehow overlooked this, but it's still a good game".

816uC.gif

Pros:

- Graphics are nice. I think. Too bad that performance is shit (see below).
- There are plenty of C&Cs (multiple solutions to quests, two main paths). Too bad most of these are shit (see below).
- ???

Cons:

- QTEs. Every developer using these should be acquired by Electronic Arts. Fucking aids-infested cunts deserve no better.
- Graphical engine is fucking shit (FPS drops, shit caching, sudden lighting / brightness changes). And it scales terribly too - switching from high to low options doesn't help that much performance-wise.
- Combat is shit. Where W1's combat was decline popamole (QTE), but worked, combat in W2 is just a mess which doesn't work (unresponsive commands, enemies getting infinite combos on Geralt, overall clunkiness / shityness). Shit is also totally random (Geralt can switch the target out of the blue, manual targeting rarely works) and fighting more than one enemy at a time is a chore. Action game with shitty action... :roll:
- Writing varies from acceptable to fucking abysmal. Why should I care about C&Cs when the outcomes of those are mostly shit?
- Next-gen is all over the place: AWESOME boss-fights, cringeworthy sex scenes, AWESOME finishers, the overall feeling of "I really should uninstall this shit and play something else".
- The GUI is a total mess: it was clearly made with controller in mind (select/accept/cancel buttans), but is fucking cumbersome, hard as fuck to use and ill-considered.
- Pop-up / Scrolling elements in menus are fucking annoying (waiting for the ingredient list to appear takes ages) and pointless (there's more than enough free space on screen).
- Quite often menus don't have required / logical information (example: amount of possessed ingredients) - it requires external mods / enhanced edition.
- Animations are meh: wooden, weird, amateurish. No progress from W1.
- White subtitles often merge with the background. Lack of shadows / outlines for subtitles is an epic fail.
- Dialogue choices not always properly describe the dialogue outcome (what Geralt will actually say). Enjoy making characters angry for no reason / reloading quicksaves to check how the dialogue actually unfolds.
- The "filler" part of the game (side quests, killing monsters, hiking) is more fun than the "main" part (AWESOME introduction, political bullshit, kingslayers, mages, kings and shit).
- Forced stealth sections aren't fun: frustrating, cumbersome, railroaded mess.
- Interaction areas are fucking disaster: enjoy constant moving around / twitching mouse to find the open door / interact / take item, areas - what the flying fuck, it's not that hard to code, FFS!
- Too many actions are performed with "main action" button (LMB): enjoy interacting with torches when you actually want to pick sth up.
- Save system is as stupid as it was in W1 (creating new saves instead of limited save slots) - enjoy deleting your saves manually every couple of hours.
- Meditation / potions / alchemy sections are cringe worthy long - I just want to access some menus, not stare at Geralt for 1/2 minute every time I want to make a potion. FFS!
- WAY too many loot items / ingredients / upgrades. What's the point, if clearly some are superior to others (you just stick to one type of trap / bomb / etc.) and some of the equipment you can buy / find is much better than shit that requires hours of crafting?
- Stupid design decisions like shopkeepers requiring climbing two sets of ladders - you have to spend ~1/2 of minute every time you want to interact with the elf cunt.
- You can't put markers on the main map (which is shit BTW - descriptions work only for current zone). In 2014.
- You can't sort inventory items (fixed in mod / EE).
- Some boss battles don't give you clues / chance to prepare (drinking potions requires meditation now) - enjoy reloading saves over and over. Plus they're infested with QTE. Plus they're either too hard or too easy.
- Broken quests progressions / triggers / dialogue triggers, even during the main quest. Example: Dandelion first congratulates Geralt on killing the 1st chapter dude, then asks where Geralt was (well... killing the dude?). facepalm.jpg
- No info about available upgrade slots on schematics (armor / swords).
- Retarded puzzles with hard to figure out tips (gargoyle quest) or plain stupid + almost impossibly hard (vran guardian).
- Final armor has abysmal requirements and is only slightly better than shit you can loot. WTF?
- Ending is absolutely fucking retarded in any imaginable way.
- And much MOAR

tl;dr

:1/5: for Triss' tits and some hiking. No way I'm gonna pre-order tWitcher 3, job well done, CDProjekt.

:bravo:

Xeon

Augur
That's a little bit exaggerated.

I can barely remember about the game but the quests wasn't that bad I think, and it ran fine on my old computer without any problems. Boss fights really sucked tho because of the QTEs and the last Dragon fight was kinda too consoley or something, I think I only liked Letho's fight and that's about it. Potion and preparations before fights sucked because the effect ran out during the cut scenes and dialogue or whatever..

Can't remember anything else, I am not sure but the last set of armor in Witcher 1 might have been hard to acquire also, might be wrong.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Can't remember anything else, I am not sure but the last set of armor in Witcher 1 might have been hard to acquire also, might be wrong.
Yeah, but you can only get your hands on three or so different armors during the entire game, and the last armor really was worth it. TW2's item progression got somewhat fucked when the EE got released, so acquiring those supposedly legendary artifacts (the armor and the sword) in the last chapter feels kind of pointless when there's better or equally good stuff simply lying around.

- Retarded puzzles with hard to figure out tips (gargoyle quest) or plain stupid + almost impossibly hard (vran guardian).
What is this shit? There's a very clear logic to both of those puzzles.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, but you can only get your hands on three or so different armors during the entire game, and the last armor really was worth it. TW2's item progression got somewhat fucked when the EE got released, so acquiring those supposedly legendary artifacts (the armor and the sword) in the last chapter feels kind of pointless when there's better or equally good stuff simply lying around.

What is this shit? There's a very clear logic to both of those puzzles.
That vran guardian is easy to break if you start chucking stuff at him from the stairs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom