Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

spekkio

Arcane
Jick Magger & Tehdagah

BROS, I've heard that RE6 has an ungodly amount of QTEitis. Tru/not, 'cuz it would be a huge turnoff for me. :(

sbb

Learned
I played an Outlander for my playthrough of Torchlight II, and proceeded to Glaive Throw my way through the entire game. It's a fun game for a while and worth playing with friends, but fuck that game gets monotonous. I can't believe I finished that thing.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Jick Magger & Tehdagah

BROS, I've heard that RE6 has an ungodly amount of QTEitis. Tru/not, 'cuz it would be a huge turnoff for me. :(
There are alot more grab-centric attacks from enemies than in earlier games, which do require button prompt presses to get them off of you. Admittedly, as Tehdagah notes, you can avoid them by doing a counter attack, though the game never really explains this to you and there isn't a prompt telling you it's possible (whether or not this is a good thing is entirely up to you).

Found there are less QTE's in cutscenes, though. And the ones that are there are pretty forgiving all-in-all.

Cadmus

Arcane
I played an Outlander for my playthrough of Torchlight II, and proceeded to Glaive Throw my way through the entire game. It's a fun game for a while and worth playing with friends, but fuck that game gets monotonous. I can't believe I finished that thing.
Yeah Im also getting sick of leveling the lvl1 magma spear and the occasional few skills besides that while slaughtering hordes of spiders and wolves. The statistics bugged out and shows Ive killed 43000 monsters which I doubt is true in ACT II

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
Good to be back bros on the 'Dex after an extended absence. Didn't notice I was gone? FUCK YOU. :negative:

Finally finished Dark Souls so I am ax-pickin' my way up the incline with Blackguards and my very first play through of IWD.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Good to be back bros on the 'Dex after an extended absence. Didn't notice I was gone? FUCK YOU. :negative:

Same here!

I won't be posting much yet, though. I still haven't played a video game in about 3 months and don't expect to for a while. Just fucking bored of them and the scene. Which is a shame because I hear Divinity Whatever is fucking gangbusters, but I'm too meh to play it right now.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Picked up Shadowrun Returns from the sale. Being a fan of the SNES & Genesis ones, I really felt the sale would be hard to miss.

Played it for the first time yesterday, and I'm liking it a lot so far. At first, how the game describes things instead of showing them visually bothered me, but it slowly got me. I felt like I was playing a PnP game again, and most of the action was happening in my imagination rather than visually. The conversations were great, and not every option was a good idea which was a refreshing change from modern Fallout games. And the combat had a small window for mistakes, but I always knew that if i had gotten a bit more unlucky, perhaps I wouldn't have survived that encounter. I'm really liking it so far - the characters are so likeable (Cherry & Jake Armitage specially). Fuck, it's motherfucking Jake Armitage, man! He's so badass in this game!

The best part was that when i was knee-deep in the story, I felt... I felt like a part of me was waking up again... like an itch that was scratched after several years... That funny feeling when you try to move a numb limb. It was... from my brain. My brain was finally being used, albeit just slightly, while I played something. Ooooh, and it felt good. Maybe I should stop playing mmo's.

nobody argues shadowrun's writing. it's good.
problem lies in the boring combat and worse-than-your-average-cod linearity.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Bought and played through SR on normal difficulty. Game is a bit too bare bones to be great, but it wasn't bad either. I guess "mediocre" is the term for it.

Gozma

Arcane
Playing Deus Ex HR and man this makes me sympathetic to Sawyer. The system design stuff like XP or weapon/skill balance is just horrendous and it shows that no one there even had the idea that kind of "middle layer" design stuff even needs to have an advocate. I'd thought regular project lead people would be able to tell like, "Hey, rocket launchers sure are worthless shit in DX:HR aren't they? Maybe we should fix that?" but I guess they really do need some Sawyerite commissars. Although I think Sawyer probably would have fucked up the social battle thing which is just a pure simple CYOA that happened to turn out great because the writing and acting are good.

That said I really like the game and am pretty shocked at the great Deus Exy stuff that snuck through the AAA system so it can't actually matter that much.

Deleted member 7219

Picked up Shadowrun Returns from the sale. Being a fan of the SNES & Genesis ones, I really felt the sale would be hard to miss.

Played it for the first time yesterday, and I'm liking it a lot so far. At first, how the game describes things instead of showing them visually bothered me, but it slowly got me. I felt like I was playing a PnP game again, and most of the action was happening in my imagination rather than visually. The conversations were great, and not every option was a good idea which was a refreshing change from modern Fallout games. And the combat had a small window for mistakes, but I always knew that if i had gotten a bit more unlucky, perhaps I wouldn't have survived that encounter. I'm really liking it so far - the characters are so likeable (Cherry & Jake Armitage specially). Fuck, it's motherfucking Jake Armitage, man! He's so badass in this game!

The best part was that when i was knee-deep in the story, I felt... I felt like a part of me was waking up again... like an itch that was scratched after several years... That funny feeling when you try to move a numb limb. It was... from my brain. My brain was finally being used, albeit just slightly, while I played something. Ooooh, and it felt good. Maybe I should stop playing mmo's.

The original campaign starts off really well but gets a bit derp towards the end. Wait until you play Dragonfall - it is really good. It's a bit like MotB to NWN2, or HotU to NWN.

Machocruz

Arcane
Oh shit, son. The game selection is gettin' real. Check it:

No One Livers Forever - I shouldn't have to 'splain this one to this forum, although I myself had never played past Morocco until this week. For some reason, this game reminds me of Perfect Dark, which is a good thing. Oh, hip-fire, how I've missed you. Butter smooth engine, awesome scenario variety, sweet-spot combination of stealth and run and gun options, and expert stealth is more challenging to pull off than Dishonored, Shitstain: Pollution, Qui4f. Timing, position, and accuracy are so important to get that 0 detections, 0 bodies found in Berlin. Very tactical. Level design is magnifique; it's linear enough for the popamole crowd and to keep the forward momentum going, but still feels like an actual space and you're not pushed forward ceaselessly. It's pretty much an optimal FPS if there ever was one, and I think a new entryl that isn't dumbed down for the current market would still do well. But since it's a good idea, it won't ever happen. More SpecBros and SpessBros for us.

Hitman: Blood Money - I had beat this game once, and I knew it was good then. But then when you start really exploring all the intricacies of the levels and nuances of completing objectives....FUCK THAT PIECE OF SHIT ABSOLUTION YOU HAD ONE JOB IO INTERACTIVE! I mean what did they think they were going to accomplish by making an objectively inferior and less interesting game? They thought they were Bethesda or some shit. What a bunch of market whores. Blood Money is brilliantly designed, and they threw it away. Scum.

Hidden and Dangerous 2 - I already mentioned this, but in light of reacquainting myself with NOLF, the excellence of this game comes into sharper focus. It has that awesome scenario variety I mentioned with NoLF, You could have told me the same people worked on both and I would have believed it without hesitation. It has similarly satisfying shooting and feedback, slightly arcadey gun mechanics compared to ARMA -spraying Krauts down with an MP40 feels as good as it did in RtCW.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Hidden and Dangerous 2 - I already mentioned this, but in light of reacquainting myself with NOLF, the excellence of this game comes into sharper focus. It has that awesome scenario variety I mentioned with NoLF, You could have told me the same people worked on both and I would have believed it without hesitation. It has similarly satisfying shooting and feedback, slightly arcadey gun mechanics compared to ARMA -spraying Krauts down with an MP40 feels as good as it did in RtCW.
This one is a gem. Best squad based tactical game, period. Probably best WWII themed game as well. From the devs of Mafia.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I finally completed a game of Dungeons of Dredmor today.

I installed the game around mid-August, thinking that this time I will find Dredmor and smite him good. 4 times earlier I had tried, 4 times I had failed because the game is a BUGGY PIECE OF SHIT. When the game didn't eat my saves, it would delete my entire inventory. My fifth run was full of CTDs and Steam Cloud trying to eat my saves, but somehow I pulled through. Now that I'm finally done I'm not touching this game again. It's both brilliant and retarded at the same time, but mostly it just needs a good bugfix and balancing patch that also overhauls the UI.

My build was Berserker Rage, Artful Dodger, Perception, Burglary, Assassination, Archaeology and Smithing. In hindsight this was a weak build that I didn't even use to its greatest extent. BR and Assassination gave me a boost in combat without restricting my weapon options. Artful Dodger is a lifesaver, especially the Knight's Leap ability. Burglary and Perception are nice for the added money they provide from loot/traps, and Perception also becomes a lifesaver in the lategame where enemies spam viewrange penalty spells. Smithing I didn't even use (more on that later), which leaves us with the backbone of my strategy: Archaeology.

Archaeology is ALL about the named items, the artifacts. It allows you to "sell" them for XP, and late on you can re-roll the bonus modifiers and even recharge Anvils of Krong! This gives two big advantages: Leveling up faster and better gear. By the third floor my named items were giving me a surprising amount of Aethric damage, a factor which stuck with me to the end. I also found a studded denim jacket which I boosted up so often with Anvils of Krong that I used it through the entire game. I ended with a Lvl 36 character, having exhausted all my skilltrees about 4 levels ago and had around 2 million gold.

Now Smithing... the strength and fire resistance bonuses were great, but the reason everyone picks this skill is for the Smithing levels and to use that huge crafting system that DoD has. Not me. I hoarded a lot of stuff and intended, once I had found Dredmor, to retreat to the Pocket Dimension and cook up something fierce to nail him with. Turns out... I didn't have to. I found out really quickly what two weapons I needed the most and was fortunate enough to find plenty of them in the game. At worst I could have just crafted more of them.

Those items? Squid Bolts and Clockwork Drillbombs. You use the Squid Bolts against mobs of monsters, especially Monster Zoos. Chuck a Squid bolt into a fresh Monster Zoo and watch bloody mayhem ensue. The range is massive and the damage lingers for several turns. Clockwork Drillbombs, however, are used for the tough monsters/bosses. You fire it at a monster, wait a few turns for the bomb to tick down - BOOM! That explosion can do hundreds of points of damage. Chuck a dozen of them into Dredmor or Vlad Digula and watch them either die quickly or only be hanging on by a thread. I got Dredmor on the first try, while I needed a dozen attempts for Vlad.

But now my quest is complete, and even though I had fun playing, I was also needlessly frustrated by the bugs and overwhelmed by all the possible builds. I'm done.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
xvPQCWP.jpg

mtBSk25.jpg
LNWE2Bm.jpg
3HjiRVE.jpg

LjAX4Ek.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
So I've been trying out the games from the latest Humble Bundle, plus some other bundle fodder I had lying around.

Eets Munchies: Clearly aimed at kids, but I figured it would be worth 20 minutes. 20 minutes later I had cleared the first world (36 puzzles) with a full score. :-/

LUFTRAUSERS: It's fun for a few minutes, but it doesn't exactly sport a lot of depth, does it? I also don't like games with "unlockables" that you have to do silly stuff first to get.

Hammerwatch: Fuck the Gauntlet remake from the Magicka devs, THIS is the spiritual successor to Gauntlet. Loads of fun, and best played in co-op, just like Gauntlet of old.

Steamworld Dig: This is one of those indie "one-trick-pony" games. The premise is nice, but games like Minecraft and Terraria have it beat. Has a high production value.

Race the Sun: Looks like a Journey wannabe, reminds me too much of the old Forbidden Planet game on the Amstrad CPC (did anyone ever figure out what that game was about?) and... has unlockables. Grrr.

Gone Home: I know full well what this is about, though I figured it would be fair to try it out first. 10 minutes in and I have motion sickness from playing. Yay. It has one thing going for it, the place feels like a home. If someone could make a Thief mission that had this much attention to detail in terms of furniture and personal belongsins, that would be an experience and a half.

Also, someone made this.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Started a second playthrough of Legend of Grimrock, before the release of the sequel. Really enjoy it. I like how focused it is, straight dungeon crawl, no quests, NPCs or dialogue. I dont know if LoG2 will add those, and if it does, hopefully in a limited amount. I just finished Gothic 1 and 2 back to back and i feel burned out from talking to farmers, lords, wives, knights, mages, smiths, wizards, dragons and doing everyone's dirt work while walking back and forth across the whole map.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Had a go at Contraption Maker. This is clearly made by the same people as the original The Incredible Machine games around 20 years ago. It features all of the same parts plus some new ones... as well as social media integration. Yuck.

What's worse is that all the little touches that gave TIM its charm are gone. When the cat gets the mouse you see a silent "fightcloud" and then the cat just sits there. When the alligator eats something it doesn't give that Muttley-esque laughter afterwards.

Frankly I'd rather recommend the original TIM games over at GOG rather than this one.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Betrayal at Krondor, although it's run a bit ouf steam for me recently, I'm temped to give it a break in order to give Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall Director's Cut a playthrough.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've gotten into Dungeon Siege 3. (Don't ask.)

Ehregott on Hardcore is one of the most difficult fights I've ever had in an action game, and I cleared God Hand on Hard without continuing. Jesus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom