Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

two worlds

played it before but barely scratched the surface

attempting to at least get to the first major town; archery is total arse so restarted as a strength focused spear swinging asshole and i havent looked back

man there is some serious incline in this game; especially considering todays rot:

1. UI is brilliant; alchemy/magic/inventory/skills/map are all available in one menu

2. you can drag a identical weapon/ring from your inventory onto another and it will 'embed' itself as one; with better stats etc

3. stacking; holy shit you can stack pretty much anything in this game: weapons/potions/magic cards.

4. this means less trips to merchants as you can stack shit in the field to free up space

5. speaking of inventory space, there are horses everywhere; just about every third bandit/grom camp has a horse you can pinch as a mule. You ride the mule to the nearest fast travel thingy and ferry your shit to the nearest merchant; rinse and repeat. I have a horse at nearly every fast travel point now; very handy

I know two worlds has a mediocre reputation here AT BEST, but i urge codexers who are sick of all the modern shit and dont want to play oblivion to give it another go; you may be surprised.

curds

Magister
2. you can drag a identical weapon/ring from your inventory onto another and it will 'embed' itself as one; with better stats etc
Probably the best thing about Two Worlds. Really fun feature for some reason, even though it makes no sense.

I tried to play it a couple weeks ago because I remembered it being not bad. I remembered wrong.

Krivol

Magister
Subnautica.

What an experience. Before playing I tought it's an easy game for kids about swimming with fantasy creatures... boy I was wrong!

After few hours I changed my mind - it's extremly good looking, competent survival game, where you are gathering resources, building base, exploring and crafting. And I was wrong again, because story in this game...

Story in this game is amazing so far, and it's more and more like horror game. I am not going to say anything more to avoid spoilers, but this:

LOVECRAFTIAN HORROR!

Oh, and this game really looks fantastic, on my old rig works great. It proves that graphic design > textures size .

JDR13

Arcane
Probably the best thing about Two Worlds. Really fun feature for some reason, even though it makes no sense.

I tried to play it a couple weeks ago because I remembered it being not bad. I remembered wrong.

Yeah, Two Worlds did not age well. I didn't try it until years after release, and I couldn't get into it.

I was hoping it might be similar to Gothic, but it's closer to Oblivion imo.

curds

Magister

Yeah, Two Worlds did not age well. I didn't try it until years after release, and I couldn't get into it.

I was hoping it might be similar to Gothic, but it's closer to Oblivion imo.
eh, I think Two Worlds actually has much more in common with Gothic than Oblivion. Third-person, voiced protagonist, more story-focused as opposed to sandboxy like Oblivion.

Of course it is similar to Oblivion in that it is kinda bland and shit compared to Gothic.

JDR13

Arcane
eh, I think Two Worlds actually has much more in common with Gothic than Oblivion. Third-person, voiced protagonist, more story-focused as opposed to sandboxy like Oblivion.

Of course it is similar to Oblivion in that it is kinda bland and shit compared to Gothic.

Yeah, I didn't mean it was similar mechanically. Bland is the perfect word for it.

The only thing I liked about it is that it's actually pretty hard in the beginning. A lot of enemies can one-shot you if you're not careful. From what I've heard though, it gets really easy before long.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I realized I needed to brush up on my X-Com skills, so I aborted my Terror from the Deep playthrough, and decided to do an Iron Man run of the first game instead. First time I played and finished it using OpenXcom I played on medium difficulty. Didn't use grenades much and my base was never attacked.
Now I'm playing on second highest difficulty and there's a marked difference. My base has been attacked twice (I'm about to play the second) even before I've researeched Plasma Pistols. The only thing I've managed to research so far is Motion Detectors, which have proved quite useful. A new tactic now is to locate aliens in a building, break the wall with a Rocket Launcher, and then toss grenades in.
Open firefights are now much more deadly, since the aliens' stats are quite improved, and they nearly always get reaction and hit more often. So unless I can snipe them from a distance, grenades are safer.

Open firefights are now much more deadly, since the aliens' stats are quite improved, and they nearly always get reaction and hit more often. So unless I can snipe them from a distance, grenades are safer.

If you haven't tried it yet, smoke is the key to lowering sight range enough that your snipers can do their job safely and in fairly confined environments. Employed properly your snipers will be able to rack up a lot of firing accuracy improvements without danger. It makes base defenses with a good base layout a cakewalk as long as you aren't being mind controlled.

Also the best sniping weapon for a long time is the rocket launcher if you aren't worried about successive rockets to the same area destroying loot. It has amazing kneeling accuracy, you'll quickly reach 100% accurate aimed shots while kneeled. This allows very impressive trick shots where you can reliably place a rocket inside a window of a building from across the map. Detonating explosives inside buildings rather than outside greatly increases their effectiveness at leveling the place and killing things since strong walls dilute the explosive effect. You can also have some dedicated ammo carriers and reloaders to speed up rate of fire.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I'm starting to use smoke grenades more, instead of just an initial one in the drop zone.
Rocket Launchers are especially useful in base defense, I've found, since the celing makes tossing grenades harder.
And I'm always aiming for inside the windows, but if I hit the wall at least then I can toss grenades in.

It's a bit too easy on medium, but on harder difficulty I notice I have to keep sharp at all time.
Another tactic I like is to chip away walls with one soldier with a plasma weapon to remove obstructions for the snipers.
Lots of nice tactics in this game, and unlike JA2 things are not decided (initially at least) by who has the weapons with longest range.

Lots of nice tactics in this game, and unlike JA2 things are not decided (initially at least) by who has the weapons with longest range.

It is nice that there's real reason to diversify your squad into a bunch of supportive roles rather than everyone being a rifleman like in JA2, where the only reason to try anything else is basically RP/self imposed challenge.

If you want to try out some mods there's Final Mod Pack which keeps most of vanilla intact in but adds a bunch more specialized weapons. Stuff like Miniguns that are almost immobile but can fire 50 shot autoshot down your base hallways. Also some difficulty increase which is mostly from a slower tech progression.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
snazzy.png

Making good progress in Kyūyaku Megami Tensei - just killed Medusa and got a snazzy morningstar. Shop tried to trick me into buying a named katana but I obviously noticed the morningstar has 2-3 attacks - definitely superior, I'm whacking demons left and right! Yumiko also got hanmahan which is the multi-hit buffed version of the holy magic attack - extremely good against night demons like incubus, undead, haunts and such.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I realized I needed to brush up on my X-Com skills, so I aborted my Terror from the Deep playthrough, and decided to do an Iron Man run of the first game instead. First time I played and finished it using OpenXcom I played on medium difficulty. Didn't use grenades much and my base was never attacked.
Now I'm playing on second highest difficulty and there's a marked difference. My base has been attacked twice (I'm about to play the second) even before I've researeched Plasma Pistols. The only thing I've managed to research so far is Motion Detectors, which have proved quite useful. A new tactic now is to locate aliens in a building, break the wall with a Rocket Launcher, and then toss grenades in.
And what about civilians?
Motion detector doesn't make difference.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, obviously terror missions are more complicated.
But it's useful on crash sites. One memorable case was when the motion detector indicates an alien having sneaked into my own smoke screen, not visible to any of my squad, and then toss a grenade at the indicated spot.

Risking the lives of valuable soldiers to save civilians is really not worth the cost. Level the map and let god sort them out. I wouldn't intentionally kill civilians if I can help it but this is earth, we can always make more.

Well, obviously terror missions are more complicated.
But it's useful on crash sites. One memorable case was when the motion detector indicates an alien having sneaked into my own smoke screen, not visible to any of my squad, and then toss a grenade at the indicated spot.

Blind kills like that are some of the best. The very best I've has is hearing a door open on turn 1 and on turn 2 I fired a rocket across the map through a window to destroy the other side of a building with an open door and ended up getting a multikill.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Kenshi.
KENSHI!
All my limbs still attached to me. Stopped using the crossbows, cause there is no impossible tasks for them, trivialize everything.
Occasional Jupiter Hell' nightmare runs, with new updated nighmare - devs decided to buff it cause I and other guy said on steam, that "it's easier because there are more exp in comparison with Ultraviolence", result is higher accuracy and sniper that hit you 4 times in a row behind obstacle. Yeah, I'm a bit salty.

Yes I'd rather get a better PC, but I was trying to go the cheap route to play a few AAA games.

nVIDIAnow and similiar services man. It's unevitable, cause hardware won't get cheaper.

Half Life 2 Trying to finish it again.

I coudn't do that - so many fillers, fuck.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Half Life 2 Trying to finish it again. It's cool, but the first game was better. I like all the physical interactions, none of that context-sensitive bullshit. Almost. The physics puzzles seem like a gimmick now.

Morrowind I don't care this game has books and a story buried deep within. It doesn't jive with the gameplay. Perhaps I'll change my mind this time, after 20 years, but all those TES games get super fucking boring after 10 character levels.

Disco Elysium Still great. Took me until the 3rd day to discover the fishing village. It's like a good book ( the Bible).

Basically playing stuff for an hour or so. I've tried Wizard of Legend and Chuchel, but meh.

BRO I HEAR YOU ABOUT MORROWIND

THE GAME HAD ALOE OF STUF THAT WAS COOL BACK THEN BUT COULD BE BROKEN TO SHIT WAY TO EASY

MORROWIND WAS MORE FUN WHEN GAMES WERENT TWO DOLLARS EACH AND YOU HAD TO LEARN TO LOVE THE SHITTY GAME YOU BOUGHT

LOLLLO LOL OL MORROWIND IS NOT THAT BAD BUT IT IS EASIER TO LOVE IT WHEN YOU DONE HAVE ANYTHING ELSE TO PLAY

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
MORROWIND

The fuck? Is it an OpenMW thing, because I don't think so.

I've scrapped my previous character and started with a light armour marksmen. Upon resting, after buying all my basic gear, I was set upon by an assassin. The guards in Saidanin didn't care so it was kiting for days. He was equipped with a set of light armour worth thousands of gold. And a kick-ass short sword to boot. At level 1. Go fuck yourself Todd. A thing like that happened to me in Fallout 2 when I had randomly killed an NPC with overpowered gear, but this time it was a scripted lvl1 event. Can this game ever get gud?

It must be an expansion thing. The decline is obvious, the fucking stupid design is obvious and it's obvious this whole series isn't worth shit.

Krivol

Magister
MORROWIND

I've scrapped my previous character and started with a light armour marksmen. Upon resting, after buying all my basic gear, I was set upon by an assassin. The guards in Saidanin didn't care so it was kiting for days. He was equipped with a set of light armour worth thousands of gold. And a kick-ass short sword to boot. At level 1. Go fuck yourself Todd. A thing like that happened to me in Fallout 2 when I had randomly killed an NPC with overpowered gear, but this time it was a scripted lvl1 event. Can this game ever get gud?

It must be an expansion thing. The decline is obvious, the fucking stupid design is obvious and it's obvious this whole series isn't worth shit.

That's true, this assasin thing is a very terrible decision. There are mods to move it to later stage, but yes, for vanilla gameplay it can be a game breaker.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
MORROWIND

The Tribunal expansion introduces itself via an assassin who attacks the player when first resting with the expansion turned on, without regard to level or amount of time played. The developers at Bethesda Softworks were obviously thinking only of players installing and turning on the mod for existing save-games with experienced characters who would then proceed through the expansion, and they never considered how this would operate when players were purchasing later versions of Morrowind that incorporated the two expansions (or about mods that required the expansions to operate). It's a simple fix, which modders swiftly created, to impose a minimum PC level requirement on the assassin's appearance. :M

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just finished Orwell in one sitting. Took me about 5.5 hours, including replaying the last chapter. I hadn't given this game a second thought until I got it from HoboForEternity in the giveaway thread, but holy fuck was it good. You assume the position of Big Brother and investigate an activist group by monitoring social media, phonecalls, the news etc. and you have a certain amount of control over the outcome by deciding which pieces of information are important, or who exactly you want to incriminate. It's very well done, and I'll definitely be playing the sequel.

Aside from that loads more NFS Heat. They absoluely nailed the driving and the game looks fantastic. A downside is that the music selection is pretty weak, so I just mute it and play my own music. Aside from that, love it

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
A bunch of warhammer games.
Mechanicus
Novelty weared of and the combat started to feel like a slog with all these slow animations, i left it unfinished.
I made a mistake of making one of my tech-priest a fully focused melee guy with the bonus for having no ranged weapons, the only melee weapon in the game is a few variations of the same axe compared to all the ranged ones. Granted, thanks to the high cogitation cost i didn't want to use most of ranged weapons either.
It was fun while it lasted.
Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2
Never played the first one.
I suck really bad at keeping my ships alive, but i think i am getting a hang of this.
Gladius
It's kinda annoying how much of the content is gated behind DLCs. You open the research tab and the first thing you see is that a basic transport vehicle requires a downloadable pack active.
Despite that i think it's a good game. You can experience getting wrecked in the unlucky early engagement with the enemy only to get saved by a pack of catachan devils and a short time later stage a comeback while the enemy is busy clearing a devil nest.

Last edited:

curds

Magister
Just finished Arx Fatalis. Really short game, completed it in a couple of days and was only level 8 at the end.

Shit story, but who cares? awesome atmosphere and decent gameplay made me enjoy it very much.

It has been said a million times, but the magic system is very fun and novel. I started the game with a warrior build but gravitated towards using magic more and more as I progressed.

Next play through I will play a stealthy character.

Now tossing up between Thief and Dark Messiah, leaning more towards DM bc I wanna see where Arkane went next. Played Dark Messiah on Xbox when I was a kid but didn’t make it very far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom