Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Playing Diablo 2 again, and trying some new builds.
Checking some Diablo 2 videos and build guides, it looks like I'm the only Diablo 2 player who doesn't start with the Enigma runeword.
And it's like original D2 went into some cyber memory hole, 'cause every search result is about D2 Resurrected.

Fink

Novice
Expeditions: Conquistador.

:x

A good, but very rage inducing game. Constantly being ambushed while my best fighters are out of action, and/or peppered with the natives' poison fucking darts.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I completed Delta Force: Black Hawk Down, which was a nice welcome after Task Force Dagger. It doesn't feel lazy and they actually tried with this one. It gets a little samey quick though, as it's just Somalia, but some of the mission get pretty tense when you're running around in shanty towns. The expansion Team Sabre is hard as nails even on easy and I'm having trouble completing it, but there's a bit more variety.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I completed Delta Force: Black Hawk Down, which was a nice welcome after Task Force Dagger. It doesn't feel lazy and they actually tried with this one. It gets a little samey quick though, as it's just Somalia, but some of the mission get pretty tense when you're running around in shanty towns. The expansion Team Sabre is hard as nails even on easy and I'm having trouble completing it, but there's a bit more variety.
Ah, Team Sabre...
How was that last mission like?
RPG projectiles flying everywhere.
That level is a fucking nightmare...
There's also that level in Colombia where you have to protect some former cartel members or something from hordes of guerillas. You can snipe from that tower, but still a friggin hard as nails level.
Still, I liked both Black Hawk Down and Sabre.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Ah, Team Sabre...
There's also that level in Colombia where you have to protect some former cartel members or something from hordes of guerillas. You can snipe from that tower, but still a friggin hard as nails level.
I've yet to complete Team Sabre. The horde one was for sure brutal. I don't think I've gotten to the RPG mission yet, but now I'm dreading it haha.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Expeditions: Conquistador.

:x

A good, but very rage inducing game. Constantly being ambushed while my best fighters are out of action, and/or peppered with the natives' poison fucking darts.
Only way to play Conquistador is with a completely racist party.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Ah, Team Sabre...
I've yet to complete Team Sabre. The horde one was for sure brutal. I don't think I've gotten to the RPG mission yet, but now I'm dreading it haha.
Even the base game has a lot of RPG wielding somalis.
What's worse is that those buggers can be tough to spot before they start firing...

Machocruz

Arcane
The days of my tac shooter addiction, and this was the peak era. Tried to play everything that came out, and there were a lot then. So many that I never got around to buying this one, but spent hours on the demo. Very underrated.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The days of my tac shooter addiction, and this was the peak era. Tried to play everything that came out, and there were a lot then. So many that I never got around to buying this one, but spent hours on the demo. Very underrated.
Pretty good game.
Also tough.

Spike

Educated
Favorite tac shooter? I have played very few but enjoy the genre. I enjoyed the SOCOM games and early Ghost Recons. Might need to replay all those.

Shuruga

Educated
I beat Greedfall. I did most of the quests (except the DLC) and got what I think is the best possible "good" ending in about 45 hours. I think it is fair to say that most people will like it a bit less than they liked Witcher 3 -- whatever that means for them -- because it plays very similar but has some rough patches.

The combat is very much like W3, with light attack/heavy attack/parry and a few more powerful techniques thrown in as you level. You have up to two AI companions but you can't influence their combat behavior at all so it doesn't do much by way of tactics. There is a tactical pause that allows you to change which enemy you lock on to or queue in a single action like casting a spell or drinking a potion that isn't in your hotbar.

For not being incredibly deep I thought they had a nice approach to build variety. There are 6 skill trees: two each for magic, melee, and tech, that in the skill tree are a bit like spokes on a wheel:

greedfallskills.jpg

When you level you can go further down whatever tree you want, with most upgrades being minor increases to damage or whatever but with new abilities thrown in periodically. The interesting bit is that some of the midway abilities can be accessed by either of the adjacent main skill trees. So for instance the magical healing ability (around 1:30 in the screenshot) can be acessed from one of the magic trees or one of the melee trees. By the end I had covered about half of the entire skill tree, so there is room for some variety in builds. For example, probably one of the more common ones is a character that emphasizes bladed weapons but dabbles in magic and alchemy, but you could also have a character that emphasizes firearms (colonial setting so these are essentially muskets) and blunt melee weapons.

I decided to lean in to the glass cannon mage archetype by emphasizing offensive magic. I played on hard and found the combat engaging at first -- I was frequently parrying enemies in succession and struggling to get a spell off in between, needed to use the tactical pause to lock on to an enemy to try and get a stasis spell off (which freezes them for a few seconds), had to switch to a backup melee weapon because I ran out of mana, etc.

Then maybe 25% of the way through the game I totally busted the difficulty curve and most encounters consisted of: (1) firing off a few spells to boost my "fury" (adrenaline) meter to max, (2) casting an AOE stasis spell that froze pretty much everything around me, and (3) casting an AOE damage spell that compounds the damage dealt to frozen characters. This would usually either kill everything or bring them darn close. If needed I'd repeat the cycle.

The silver lining was that this meant I could roll through encounters quickly -- this was good because the combat encounters feel very copy-paste and there were sequences of the game where you're just zipping back and forth over already-explored sections of the map to advance questlines. Out in the wilderness you deal with a handful of bear-wolf-lizard things that all feel the same except for how much health they have. Humans have a bit more variety but not by much. The boss fights have a cool aesthetic (a lot of very angry ents) and some interesting move sets but their biggest challenge was HP bloat.

The story had an interesting vibe and the world was mostly well built (though they repeated building assets more than they should have -- each of the three governor mansions had the exact same layout, for instance). Like Witcher 3 you have a fixed protagonist and personality but you have some narrative agency. Some of the quests were of the weak "go here to have some dialogue, now go here..." but others were stronger and competently addressed some engaging and/or heavy topics like coup d'etats, human trafficking, abuse, etc. Each of the 5 NPC companions had a multi-quest arc that was well done, and the main story beats kept me engaged.

I would have preferred more consistently challenging combat and a bit less running back and forth, but overall I enjoyed it. Recommended for any of you who enjoy narrative-heavy RPGs with third person combat.

Machocruz

Arcane
Favorite tac shooter? I have played very few but enjoy the genre. I enjoyed the SOCOM games and early Ghost Recons. Might need to replay all those.
Can't decide on first Ghost Recon or SWAT 4. Also really liked R6: Raven Shield, SOCOM 1 and 2, Hidden and Dangerous 2, ARMA, GR:AW 1 (PC version).

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Can't decide on first Ghost Recon or SWAT 4. Also really liked R6: Raven Shield, SOCOM 1 and 2, Hidden and Dangerous 2, ARMA, GR:AW 1 (PC version).
I think SWAT 4 is the better game overall. It's more dynamic and replayable. Ghost Recon is cool, but kind of static and it's a lot of memorizing where the bad guys are and then doing a perfect run.

Machocruz

Arcane
I think SWAT 4 is the better game overall. It's more dynamic and replayable. Ghost Recon is cool, but kind of static and it's a lot of memorizing where the bad guys are and then doing a perfect run.
I agree, but I do just mean favorite. It's part nostalgia and part the balance between gaminess and simulation that it struck, especially for the time, plus outdoor operations are my preference. I think several other games are also better made than GR or have aged better.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I agree, but I do just mean favorite. It's part nostalgia and part the balance between gaminess and simulation that it struck, especially for the time, plus outdoor operations are my preference. I think several other games are also better made than GR or have aged better.
I do remember that Ghost Recon had some of the best looking outdoor environments for this type of game at the time it came out.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
How are the ghost recon games like Breakpoint? I tries Wildlands but it felt bad to play. Is Break point any better? It looked fun in the footage I've seen.

Machocruz

Arcane
EDIT: GR was an early casualty in the decline, and I haven't heard of any return to form. That aside, I have heard that Breakpoint is a better tac shooter than Wildlands or Future Soldier.

Modron

Arcane
Ubisoft went the way of Bethesda with both R6 and GR a long time ago, and I haven't heard of any return to form. That aside, I have heard that Breakpoint is better of a GR than Wildlands.
Really seems like most reviews say it's a worse Wildlands?

Beggar

Cipher
Replayed Thief Gold first time in 15 years probably. Had a blast, was absorbed in it for weeks. Insanely inspirational for lots of my favorite games, haven't noticed some of it before. Atmosphere and horror is through the roof. Stands as gold standart, still a top shelf game.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider,the last of the new trilogy of games, it's fine ,the graphics are good for their time,gameplay is mostly the same as the other two games,the setting this time is South America and pre Colombian civilizations . It has been a while since I played the other two but I think this might be the weakest of the new trilogy although still an ok game.If you enjoyed the other two my guess will be that you will enjoy this one too

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom