Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Learned
Overall it's fine. Still would play it over 4 and definitely over 76.

You know how it goes. Once Fallout 5 and 6 are out people will say that Fallout 76 is "fine", that they would definitely play it over 5 and 6.

jackofshadows

Magister
Fallout 1.5

So far I love it. It lacks the luxury of new assets as some other global mods but man do they reuse the original assets tastefully. And the writing is top-notch, better than in F2 I'd say. It's all very consistent and within the setting, bravo. Also the amount of quests for cynical mercenary type/straight up bad guy is impressive and I think exceeds the one in the OG.
D626D738D35240B06844E9053CB7CF8DEB4BC205

Naraya

Arcane
Just finished SoU + Bridge + HotU and loved every minute of it. Deekin is such a fun companion to journey with, even though I swear he holds off casting Summon Creature until the last foe is barely alive :-D

zj9k1IC.png

Off to Swordflight I go!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Das it for Halo Wars.

Weird game. It has 15 missions that can be divided into a few distinct phases:

1-3 - The extended tutorial. Very easy, very vanilla.
4-7 - The gloves are off. You are going to get raped. Missions 4-6 are some of the most excellent RTS scenarios I've ever played, where the AI is very aggressive, you're working against the clock and need troops everywhere to protect vulnerable shit across the map. I imagine mission 7 could be hard as well though it bugged out in a way for me that made it trivial so lul.
8-11 - The Flood appears. The game takes a drastic turn for the easier, because the Flood is a weirdo half-baked half-faction that is trivial to win against as long as you don't use infantry. It's also a lot less aggressive than the Covenant. My theory is that the Flood was supposed to be the third faction in the game but was cut mid-development and left in a kind of shitty state that rubbed off on the rest of the game.
12-15 - The Covenant comes back and also guardian bots appear, which should lead to a bunch of fun 4x FFAs among you, flood, covenant and bots, but that just doesn't happen, even in the final mission which is clearly supposed to be like that - because the Flood is too shitty and too passive. Missions 13 and 15 have brief bouts of real difficulty around the start but then turn trivial. 14 is a joke that feels borderline bugged.

I had fun with the game to the end, the only stinker was mission 14, but it's really too bad that it doesn't uphold the level of quality set by missions 4-6. The weirdest part to me is how it's the later missions that turn much easier as if the designers suddenly became afraid of challenging the player too much, even though there are very obvious avenues in which they could be made harder in ways similar to 4-6, but those are simply not used despite being plain to see.

Renfri

Cipher
Metal Gear Rising: Revegeance

It was blast even if short. Great action and better humor than Larian by a mile. Perhaps most annoying part was trying to use bazooka in tight spot and then it tries to reload it right after shot, it's just annoying for such fast action game. Game also had cool characters and satisfying ending. One of the DLC had boss fight that was basically budget version of last boss from main game, which was strange. Doggo DLC was surprisingly challenging (or maybe I sucked), if you don't count last boss there. After sitting more than 2 years in my steam library it's done, I got easily my money's worth.

:3.5/5:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Still playing Star Trek: 25th Anniversary.
Wonderful game.
Just completed the third mission - "Love's Labour Jeopardized".
You have to deal with a romulan war party that took over the Ark7 research station, believing it to be a research station focused on biological warfare against them. You also get to meet Dr. Carol Marcus, Kirk's old flame.
Be warned that the base is contaminated with a spill of Ouroboros virus. Humans are immune to it, but Vulcans and Romulans are not. You are on a timer to prevent Spock from dying, you have to create a cure for him and the rest of the romulans.

Anyway, now I am on to mission 4.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Metal Gear Rising: Revegeance

It was blast even if short. Great action and better humor than Larian by a mile. Perhaps most annoying part was trying to use bazooka in tight spot and then it tries to reload it right after shot, it's just annoying for such fast action game. Game also had cool characters and satisfying ending. One of the DLC had boss fight that was basically budget version of last boss from main game, which was strange. Doggo DLC was surprisingly challenging (or maybe I sucked), if you don't count last boss there. After sitting more than 2 years in my steam library it's done, I got easily my money's worth.

:3.5/5:
Yeah, subweapons aren't great to use. Fortunately you can just play most of the game without them.
The trick to the bladewolf DLC is to use stealth. It's meant to the stealth DLC, and if you play it as such it's incredibly easy.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Just finished Return to Na Pali, which was also quite enjoyable, although I feel like it ended quite abrubtly. I think it looks better, the texturing is good, but it doesn't play as well; Encounters aren't as good as the base game. I do like that it's a lot more outdoor focused and in general I think the locations are cool. The new weapons really stick out in a bad way, as they don't fit the art style at all and functionally they already exist in the base game's armory.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Here's another reason why pirated games > legit games.

Cool installers.

I remember when almost all games had cool installers with screenshots and shit, and don't even get me started on Westwood's.

I swear everything today is fucking decline.

Caim

Arcane

Cool installers.

I remember when almost all games had cool installers with screenshots and shit, and don't even get me started on Westwood's.

Tiberian Sun went freeware a few years ago. You know what you're not getting with that version?

The install experience.

Zlaja

Arcane
Just finished replaying Call Of Pripyat and was reminded how unsatisfying the last parts of this game are. No real epic encounters and you just collect some boring documents (which reveal no real new info about the zone) and then you just fight your way to the landing zone and evacuate. No big reveal or anything.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Just finished replaying Call Of Pripyat and was reminded how unsatisfying the last parts of this game are. No real epic encounters and you just collect some boring documents (which reveal no real new info about the zone) and then you just fight your way to the landing zone and evacuate. No big reveal or anything.
Great game, though not entirely without faults.
Most open ended game in the series, also the most stable (at least for me).
I really like the Pripyat underpass where you have to put together a team, one of the highlights of the game.

Zlaja

Arcane
Great game, though not entirely without faults.
Most open ended game in the series, also the most stable (at least for me).
I really like the Pripyat underpass where you have to put together a team, one of the highlights of the game.

I'm fine with it being more 'open ended' than Soc, but apart from the shitty ending, the game also kinda lacks enough large scale shooting encounters with human enemies. Unless you actively go ahead and pick fights with everyone, you can go hours without fighting any human opponents.

Ash

Arcane
I'm fine with it being more 'open ended' than Soc, but apart from the shitty ending, the game also kinda lacks enough large scale shooting encounters with human enemies. Unless you actively go ahead and pick fights with everyone, you can go hours without fighting any human opponents.

Two of the game's biggest issues. The end portion and the lack of combat, especially with humans.

But I would like to dump some more:

1. Far, far too many grenades just laying around for the taking.
2. Far too predictable enemy spawns on the open world. It's easy to get around. Enemies only spawn in predetermined locations, always the same type, always off the beaten path. So much for "A-Life".
3. Burers suck.

While CoP is close to my favorite for the open-ended nature, cool weapon modding, fairly decent level design and better anomaly design, SoC may have to be the winner for not suffering these problems.

Did you play the game with the Gunslinger mod, and if not, what is wrong with you?

Oh, and the problem all stalkers share: two weapon limit is gay to almost Halo proportions. In reality it's not like that as you can carry extras and swap them out, but it should have been three weapons (sidearm holster for a pistol always).

Cool installers.

:love:

Makes so much sense to give players the necessary lore dump while burning time.

Rando Thoughtful

Educated
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Codex+ Now Streaming!
ahoy you amazing wankers, been a while since i did a post, i played some games here's my thoughts

POE1: i'd gotten 3/4 of the way through this abysmal piece of shit a few years ago, heard deadfire was less shit, and wanted to finish this first as i've gone through a mad rpg rush. to me, this is truly a bad game. didn't mind the combat, or lore, there was clearly effort made, kinda liked the backgrounds (as in, graphically, some good art direction), but i didn't get hooked on anything. yeah, fine, the dlc was better, but still the entire thing felt like a waste of time. until..

POE2: deadfyyyyrre. more interesting items, more interesting characters (though still not very interesting) but a way more interesting gameplay experience. it's just explore, the game. and it's fun. it's not deep, there's not a lot of impact between games (i sided with hylea the bird-woman-goddess in first game and for some reason she had birds shit all over my boat in deadfire, ungrateful, maybe a bug but pissed me off) but I was glad i carried a save over despite that, for some little touches. worth a play, this. but i played poe1 expecting some kind of grand succession of games and it doesn't seem likely. just play deadfire if you bounced off po1 like me.

then I got to Wastland 3. Pfft. Never finished wasteland 2, got bored. Somehow, despite it's daft shit, it was much easier to get into than the POEs, and it felt more 'fun'. DLCs weren't as shit as people had made out, I played them as part of the main quest as a first time playthrough, although I didn't get much of a 'getting stronger' vibe from them; it was mostly sidegrades. all the storylines were retarded, i didn't get a 'political' vibe which made a nice change.

and FINALLY; For a wee change of pace i'm playing Shadows over Loathing, it's great, though less funny than West of Loathing & has a pronoun mention in the intro which may send some of you into a murderous rage. have hit chapter 4 just now and it's a good time, puzzles haven't driven me mad, combat is fun enough, and it tickles me occasionally.

next, i'll have an rpg break, probably play wartales with the new dlc(s), or try get into battle bros again, or rimworld with the new dlc, infact i haven't even played since the last dlc which was massive and i bought and never played, so rimworld for a month or two is probably it. still got kenshi sat waiting to be played based on recomendations here too so we'll see what happens.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Started Halo 2. Already hating that regen shields completely displaced health.

Also, I played through the first level on legendary, and I'm dropping the difficulty right now because this is borderline masochistic. What's the fucking point of playing a game where the enemies are all bullet sponges that kill you near-instantly when you as much as pop your ass out from behind a crate?

Still, pretty great cinematics. Master chief riding a bomb into space in maximum fuck mode while flying through an exploding krooza sure is something.

I've heard console tards say that Halo 2 improved on everything from Halo 1 so that should be evidence enough that it's all decline

soutaiseiriron

Educated
Started Halo 2. Already hating that regen shields completely displaced health.
imo it's not really a big difference since health just functioned as more of a mistake buffer. just don't make mistakes lol
in halo 2 you definitely will definitely want to rely on the noob combo (plasma pistol charged shot to kill shields, then headshot) at times. or git gud. i only really recall struggling a little in the outskirts level early on.
halo 2 mcc is definitely the best remaster of all time for sure and i really like the new pre rendered cutscenes. it's literally the exact same game with a beautiful new coat of paint and you can switch to original visuals at any time, and that's it, that's exactly what it should be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom