Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game is your happy place?

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
For me it's World of Warcraft, I know no matter how shitty life gets or where I might be in the world, I can always log into the game and visit the same locations I did when I was young.

Do you have a game like that?

what

5f74d9085c368.jpg

Häyhä

Arbiter
Neo Turf Masters / Big Tournament Golf

Best Golf game ever made and one of the best arcade games of all time (yes, I'm serious). Relaxing, but also hard as fuck and oh so addictive. 18 hole course doesn't take too much time out of your day, but it's always fun trying do that "perfect" round. Beautiful, vibrant colours and pixel graphics and good music.

NEOGEO-Neo-Turf-Masters-Big-Tournament-Golf.png

Jet Set Radio Future

Pure enjoyment of movement, visuals and pumping beats, not too hard or frustrating or anything, but great for getting to that "in the zone" feeling just skating around nice cel-shaded levels.

jsrf.jpg

Virtua Cop 1 & 2

My childhood arcade favourites, especially 2. Nothing better than having a big blue gun in your hand, blasting away hundreds of crooks with superb lightgun gameplay. Have both titles today on the Saturn to play with actual lightguns.

virtua-cop-2-2.jpg

Last edited:

Tel Velothi

Cipher
I always find myself "spectating" with "free camera" if you catch my drift - on certain maps and places when I daydream or let my thoughts run free.
Mainly it's Morrowind - that was my escape from childhood and my happy place. Also games like San Andreas, Vice City, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and generally games from 90's/00's.
Goddammit bros - dat nostalgia...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Virtua Cop 1 & 2

My childhood arcade favourites, especially 2. Nothing better than having a big blue gun in your hand, blasting away hundreds of crooks with suberb lightgun gameplay. Have both titles today on the Saturn to play with actual lightguns.

SOMEBODY HELP ME

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Modron

Arcane
The Secret of Monkey Island theme song fills me with joy to this day,

Bog standard codex stuff:
Fallout 1,
Gothic 2,

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Civilization V (yes, I know, most people prefer IV, but I really like V)
Rimworld
Wizardry 7 (maybe every couple years)

Lemming42

Arcane
Daggerfall, it's lovely to just exist in the world.

I also played Half-Life every night for a two-week period a few years ago when I was stressed as fuck, mainly because it can be played almost on autopilot while listening to music or the radio or whatever. Got to the point where I could reliably beat it in about 150 minutes. Basically as soon as night fell I'd just boot up Half-Life (I had a save right after the resonance cascade) and then tear through it, be done by midnight, and start again, only ever alt-tabbing out to change the radio station or put a different podcast or whatever on. Nothing takes your mind off reality like running Half-Life over and over and over.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Daggerfall, it's lovely to just exist in the world.

I also played Half-Life every night for a two-week period a few years ago when I was stressed as fuck, mainly because it can be played almost on autopilot while listening to music or the radio or whatever. Got to the point where I could reliably beat it in about 150 minutes. Basically as soon as night fell I'd just boot up Half-Life (I had a save right after the resonance cascade) and then tear through it, be done by midnight, and start again, only ever alt-tabbing out to change the radio station or put a different podcast or whatever on. Nothing takes your mind off reality like running Half-Life over and over and over.
Half-Life is eternal.

deama

Prophet
Need for speed most wanted, the original.
I've modded it with a nice super car and eurobeat music. I put it on whenever I just want to zone out and put my $1000 soundbar on full blast and just let loose with the cop chases and dfrifting.

Dr1f7

Scholar
mmm sven co-op, tfc, or killing floor (1 not 2 fuck kf2) when people are playing

DemonKing

Arcane
Icewind Dale
Company of Heroes series
Thief the Dark project
Blobbers (Eye of the Beholder, Legend of Grimrock etc)
COD/Battlefield for when I just need to shoot someone.

goregasm

Scholar
Its a few for me.

Shadowrun for sega genesis, to this day, I will still play once or twice a year, don't know why, never played the TT but picking that up as a kid, something hooked me, perhaps the open ended style of the game on top of it (at the time) unique setting.

Viking Conquest or Brytenwalda for Warband. I have studied sub roman britan, and a bit of the viking age for about 25 years now. The setting in those two is always good mental escapism for me, and I have modded both to hell over the years.

Project Zomboid or CDDA for my end o the world moments.

Civ 5, Endless legend or Superpower 2 for bringing about the end of the world.

Icewind Dale

KCD for my walking simulation

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
For me it's World of Warcraft, I know no matter how shitty life gets or where I might be in the world, I can always log into the game and visit the same locations I did when I was young.

Do you have a game like that?

Heroes 3, especially with Wake of Gods

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom