Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game is your happy place?

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Besides the usual suspects, I've always really enjoyed playing through the first few parts of Gothic 3. It's my comfy walking simulator.

El Presidente

Arcane
Caesar 3, Rollercoaster Tycoon and Transport Tycoon (nowadays OpenRCT and OpenTTD respectively), Simcity 2000, Settlers 2, Knights and Merchants, Theme Hospital, that kind of stuff.

Cold weather, raining outside, a nice cup of coffee/tea/chocolate on your table and any of these games on the computer, you know you're in for a great comfy time.

Gandalf

Arbiter
That's an interesting quesion. I am afraid that such a happy place game doesn't exist for me anymore, because my happy place is here in the real world.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Dark Souls 1 and 2.

The Firelink Shrine and Majula themes are very cozy.
Majula is criminally underrated. It's basically a perfect lonely but comfortable hub. It feels good to be there but you also want to leave.

Happy place game is the original Mirror's edge. It's a game all about flow, you keep going forward no matter what. Trying to keep up speed and find your path is a constant focus while the gameplay is simple enough to let you just go. No complex movement system or combat, A button for up and a button for down and off you go.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
For me it's World of Warcraft, I know no matter how shitty life gets or where I might be in the world, I can always log into the game and visit the same locations I did when I was young.

Do you have a game like that?
Still digging that hole huh

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Dark Souls 1 and 2.

The Firelink Shrine and Majula themes are very cozy.
Majula is criminally underrated. It's basically a perfect lonely but comfortable hub. It feels good to be there but you also want to leave.

Happy place game is the original Mirror's edge. It's a game all about flow, you keep going forward no matter what. Trying to keep up speed and find your path is a constant focus while the gameplay is simple enough to let you just go. No complex movement system or combat, A button for up and a button for down and off you go.
All Dark Souls past 1 are garbage

VerSacrum

Educated
Love the architecture and character design in the Drakensang games, so they're my go to comfort RPG (actually mostly the prequel River of Time as a more compact experience you can run through in a few hours)

Drakensang-TRoT-03.jpg

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Thief
Total War Medieval 2
Rimworld
Battle Brothers
Homeworld

And the surprise:

A unique combination of mods that turns TES: Oblivion into a castle-upgrading, harem sex game.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Shuffle Puck Cafe
Rock'n'Roll
Speedball
Pinball Dreams
Lemmings
Cannon Fodder
Super Mario World
Landstalker
Resident Evil (Playstation)
Trackmania Nations/United Forever
Quake III Arena

and dozens others.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
For me it's World of Warcraft, I know no matter how shitty life gets or where I might be in the world, I can always log into the game and visit the same locations I did when I was young.

That game might be the reason why your life is so shitty.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard

That game might be the reason why your life is so shitty.
it was glorious, but yeah we paid the price

Dave the Druid

Educated
Crash Bandicoot 2! Because it reminds me of a happier time when I could stay up all night playing PlayStation while my dad beat the living shit out of my mother in the other room

Shuruga

Educated
It is hard to pick just one, but a few that come to mind include:
  • Neverwinter Nights. There are always more fan modules to play (and a few I like replaying), but there is something relaxing about the maps, toolset, etc. A good module is like curling up with a good book.

• Dragon Age: Origins. It has its flaws but it hits a satisfying combination of atmosphere, reactivity, characters, combat, and storyline. Starting it up again always seems like a good idea and the main menu elicits a Pavlovian sense of happiness.

• Quest for Glory and Betrayal at Krondor. Those games are like going back to my childhood.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Shadow Hearts, Vectorman, Soul Reaver and Symphony of the Night all come to mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom