Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Reality

Learned
Colony Wars
Ace Combat 7
Custom Robo : Battle Revolution
Godzilla : Destroy all Monsters Melee
Godzilla : Save the Earth
Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim
Mr. Driller
Dr. Lunatic
Loonyland
Sleepless Hollow
Kid Mystic
Armoured Commander 2
Mount and Blade : Warband
Ionaxxia
SWAT 4
Caesar 3
Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 : Corkscrew Follies (ALL Scenarios)
Wasteland 3

Dozens of random capcom/midway games through various Arcade compilations

Mostly a replay year due to spending FAR more time on Tabletop simulator than standard video games.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Might & Magic I through IX
Starcrawlers
King's Bounty: The Legend
King's Bounty: Crossworlds
Just Cause
Just Cause 3
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Shadowrun Returns
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Shadowrun Hong Kong
Arx Fatalis
Bard's Tale Remastered and Resnarkled
Bully Scholarship Edition
Grim Dawn
Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death
Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns
Kohan II: Kings of War
Legend of Grimrock
Legend of Grimrock II
Mass Effect 3
Mirror's Edge
Necrovision
Necrovision Lost Company
Postal Redux
Regions of Ruin
Eye of the Beholder
Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon
Eye of the Beholder III: Assault on Myth Drannor
Black Moon Chronicles
Tropico 2
Children of the Nile Complete
Stonekeep
The Temple of Elemental Evil
UFO Aftermath
UFO Aftershock
UFO Afterlight
Victor Vran
Xcom Enemy Unknown
Nox
A.I.M. 2 Clan Wars
Genesis Rising
Silent Storm
Silent Storm Sentinels
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale II
Space Pirates and Zombies
Armies of Exigo
Throne of Darkness
World in Conflict Complete Edition
Sacrifice

Probably forgetting a few, but whatever. Most of them were good fun.

Where did you find the time?

EDIT: If these were games you finished in 2020.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Brutal Doom 64 - Cleared two days before Halloween. Essentially a hardmode mod for Doom 64, without the adolescent gore cartoon touches of the original Brutal mod. More aggressive enemies, more enemy types. Absolutely perfect length for an action game, pure gameplay, 99% intuitive secrets. Had a blast and I intend to play again in the near future. An all time great (applies to both vanilla D64 and this).

Shadowgate (NES) - Cleared Halloween night. Simple and short, but sweet. Soundtrack is legend, songs I've remembered despite having previously only played the game one evening in the 80s. Logical solutions to puzzles. Nice fantasy funhouse vibe. Felt uplifted after I finished it, like being a kid again.

Dying Light - Finished this the very first day of 2020, at 1am. An open world game with the momentum of an action game, albeit a lengthy one. While most games don't justify their open worlds, here it is in the service of being a massive parkour playground. Easily as good as ANY of the AAA games the masses suck off on the reg. Plot is dumb action movie stuff, but it is an immersive dumb action movie, I felt like the hero coming through some shit.

I play few games anymore, and I try to dive deep and get good at them, if time allows. Pure gameplay is where it's at, in games that don't outstay their welcome. Anything else is the developers just stroking themselves in my personal space.

SumDrunkGuy

Self Flagellation: The Thread

How embarrassing. I will pray for you nerds. May your carb count decline and your self-esteem climax.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Betrayal at Krondor
What made the game stand out among the others you played?

The pacing, I think. Maps aren’t too big or too crowded, combat is quick once you get the hang of it, the quality writing keeps the story interesting from the start all the way through, each chapter changes things up just enough to keep things fresh. It’s a really well made game.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I find it hard to believe you guys are talking about games you've finished and not including the ones you've abandoned after 10 or so hours. I guess it's possible when you're not wasting too much time on YouTube and online gaming.

It took me two months each to finish KotC and Toee. I'm playing IWD2 since late September and only now getting near the end.

Last edited:

Pentium

Learned
[gulps]

I think it was DX1 by the beginning of the year that I had started before Xmas again. I'm really becoming a lazy bastard lately. :negative:

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I've been playing Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory on and off since at least 2016 and last night I finally beat it. Amazing game, but fuck that bathhouse level

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I didn't "finish" any games. 2016 was the last year i generally played a lot of gaems. Today i don't play much cause i am frankly bored and i have better things to do in my life like fucking beautiful women. I don't spend much time playing, you can even see that after i returned in this forum i mostly stick in non-gaming subforums because quite frankly i don't care much to discuss games outside of trolling the usual autists with truthbombs like that their favorite indy sucks and Skyrim rules.

I did play some games this year though. I played a lot of Warhammer Gladius, Endless Space 2 and Two Point Hospital. Enough playtime to consider equal to completing an CRPG campaign for each, more for Gladius (i think i have played more than 150 hours total of Gladius this year, around 30-40 hours for Endless Space 2 and Two Point Hospital).

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
You truly are our role model, Templar. I think we should rename this place to "TemplarGR's Codex" just to show how much we respect and admire you.

Arcks

Educated
Most important time of the year. Also ranked my games finished with rating scale of 1 to 5. Every single 5/5 game is replay. Not single one of them was released this year.

Games finished in 2020

5/5
Duke Nukem 3D
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Persona 4 Golden
Rune Factory 4
Total War: Warhammer II

4/5
Blood: Fresh Supply
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Dusk
Dynamite Headdy
Endless Legend
Fallout: Nevada
Fantasy General II - Invasion
Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise
Geneforge 5: Overthrow
Hitman 2
Judgment
Mega Man Zero 3
Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer
Panzer Corps 2
Paper Mario: The Origami King
Quake II
Resident Evil 2
Senjo no Valkyria 3
Shadow Warrior
Sid Meier's Civilization VI
Strategic Mind: Blitzkrieg
Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE
Tony Hawk's Underground 2
Yakuza Kiwami 2

3/5
Bard's Tale
Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled
Commando Steel Disaster
Contra 4
Contra: Shattered Soldier
Cryptic Passage for Blood
Dark Future: Blood Red States
Decap Attack
Disney's Magical Quest 3 Starring Mickey and Donald
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Fallout 1.5: Resurrection
Feda: The Emblem of Justice
Final Fight 3
Front Mission 1st
G-O-D: Mezameyo to Yobu Koe ga Kikoe
Glory of Heracles
Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble
King's Bounty: Dark Side
Luminous Arc
Mana-Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy
Marvel's Spider-Man
Mega Man & Bass
Mega Man Star Force
Mega Man Zero 4
Moonlighter
Nano Breaker
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
Project Warlock
QuackShot: Starring Donald Duck
Riviera: The Promised Land
Rygar: The Legendary Adventure
Seven: The Days Long Gone
Shining Force II
Shinobi
Shinobi III : Return of the Ninja Master
Sparkster: Rocket Knight Adventures 2
Splatterhouse 3
Star Ocean: First Departure
Strategic Mind: Spectre of Communism
Streets of Rage 2
Super Robot Wars V
Super Robot Wars X
Tenshi no Uta: Shiroki Tsubasa no Inori
Trials of Mana
Urban Reign
Wild Arms Alter Code: F

2/5
Blasphemous
Daymare: 1998
Dead to Rights
Doom 64
Ghosthunter
Golden Axe II
Mega Man Powered Up
Nostalgia

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A Way Out
Cinematic, split-screen co-op game about two guys breaking out of prison and getting revenge. Must be played with two players. Gameplay is neither good nor bad, there are puzzles and fights but it's mostly about guiding these two guys through the story and making decisions. If you have a good friend to play this with, do it.
Agent A: A Puzzle in Disguise
Delightful, short "escape room" type game. Decode the password, find the key, notice the pattern, open the door. There are even a few proper puzzles in there.
Desperados III (Main game only, Hard difficulty)
Fantastic RTWP tactical stealth game where quickloading is built into the intended design. Plan, fail, reload, refine, retry, repeat, succeed, next challenge. So many little abilities and so many great map designs to test your mastery. Such good gameplay. On top of that, really good art and music and very solid voice acting all around. Pretty much the best evolution of the original we could have expected.
Ion Fury (Wanton Carnage difficulty)
Exactly what it looks like, and well done at that. I had a blast.
Kingdom Rush Frontiers (replayed to finish all Iron challenges)
Probably my favorite tower defense series, I keep going back to it.
Knights and Bikes
Another 2-player co-op. I absolutely loved this one. Sort of a "Wonderland" experience where a lot of the action only takes place in the children's minds, but there is also a real world story on top of that. As a Codexer I'm sure you're too macho and cool to enjoy a story about little girls who are learning what it means to grow up. Not me! So good.
Kona
Not a detective game, but an adventure game about a detective. A missed opportunity - at first it seems like you'll be able to act like a real person following rational leads but it quickly becomes "well there are no more obvious clues, guess I'll start breaking into every house in sight and stealing any object I can pick up". Still, once you get over how "gamey" it all is, the atmos is strong and the story compelling enough. I liked it.
Metropolis Lux Obscura
Very disappointing rip-off of the Sin City comics. CYOA with like 4 endings. The combat and level up systems have some potential but the game is over too fast to get into it. The art isn't even that good and there's nothing interesting about any of the characters, they are all bland criminal hustlers, even the protag. Avoid.
Middle Earth: Shadow of War (Gravewalker difficulty)
I finally finished this game properly after years of screwing around. What can I say, the stars aligned for me in this game. The Batman style combat is good, or at least good enough, but what brings it together is the amazing Nemesis system, generating thousands of different named enemies, each with their own combination of strengths and weaknesses. On the highest difficulty it gets amazing trying to kill these guys who are immune to everything except one or two types of attacks or environmental features. Such a delight to get your ass kicked over and over by some super assassin and finally lure him near some spiders, then he panics long enough for you to take him down. Even when you're not fighting the named enemies, the grunts are fun to fight and best of all when you're in a habited area, they just keep coming - it's like fighting a whole city. Any way you slice it, the orcs are just endlessly entertaining and I could keep playing this every day forever if I didn't have other games to play.
Neo Cab
Excellent, atmospheric VN style game about a cab driver trying to find her missing friend in a near future dystopia, earning rent money on a nightly basis driving around an interesting cast of characters, some who are part of the story and some who aren't. Interesting decisions to be made throughout and an absolutely fascinating take on the "final boss battle" concept. Great atmosphere and A+ soundtrack.
Nick Bounty and the Dame with the Blue Chewed Shoe
Quick, fun comedy adventure game. Critically, I didn't hate the writing! The dorky humor is paced with masterful care, switching from terrible puns to clever genre references to sly character analysis and back again without spilling a drop.
Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors [Axe Ending]
I didn't reach the canon ending yet, so I guess I didn't truly "complete" this, but I got to the end credits so it kind of counts. Good VN slash puzzle game, I found the interface not that great and while I liked the characters I didn't fall so in love with them to play this over and over. Hope to get back to it someday maybe.
Prey (2007)
Strong, well-written "System Shock 2-like". I almost quit because the cluttered visuals made it impossible to play this without quest markers, but once I turned them back on everything was fine.
Resident Evil 6 (all main stories)
Terrible, terrible game. The only good thing about it is flawless co-op integration. I had fun playing it with @Ataraxia because of the company, not because the game is good. It's pretty much garbage.
Return of the Obra Dinn
Best game I played all year, hands down. Very strong detective title. The less you know, the better. Shut up and go play it. No spoilers allowed.
Sea Salt
This game might be brilliant. A top-down blood feast of ancient horrors rampaging through a series of Lovecraftian towns. You play as the horrors. Deceptively simple controls and challenging gameplay. Swarm around, kill innocents. What's not to love?
Slay the Spire
Finally got around to playing this. It's good. I won the main game one time and immediately forgot I owned this, haven't touched it since but I have nothing against it.
Wildermyth: Age of Ulstryx campaign
Wildermyth: Five Chapters campaign

Wildermyth is very cool. Strategize the fight against monstrous forces on the world map and duke it out close-up in turn-based tactical. The "hook" is that as your party of characters survives a variety of crises and events, their personalities grow, the characters age, they develop relationships, and by the end you have a lot of stories to tell and the characters are very different for it. Game is still in Early Access and adding new stuff all the time. Looking forward to playing more campaigns of this.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Steam doesn't go back far enough, so I can't recall what I was playing last spring. But this is what I've completed since summer that I remember

Jedi Fallen Order
Avernum 3
The Surge 1
The Surge 2
Horizon Zero Dawn
Outer Worlds
Cyberpunk (about 25 hours in, not completed yet)

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Most important time of the year. Also ranked my games finished with rating scale of 1 to 5. Every single 5/5 game is replay. Not single one of them was released this year.

Games finished in 2020

5/5
Duke Nukem 3D
Persona 4 Golden
Rune Factory 4

4/5
Dusk
Dynamite Headdy
Endless Legend
Hitman 2
Judgment
Mega Man Zero 3
Panzer Corps 2
Quake II
Resident Evil 2
Senjo no Valkyria 3
Shadow Warrior
Super Mario 64
Yakuza Kiwami 2

3/5
Bard's Tale
Commando Steel Disaster
Contra 4
Decap Attack
Final Fight 3
Front Mission 1st
Glory of Heracles
Luminous Arc
Marvel's Spider-Man
Mega Man & Bass
Mega Man Star Force
Mega Man Zero 4
Moonlighter
Nano Breaker
Project Warlock
Shining Force II
Shinobi
Splatterhouse 3
Streets of Rage 2
Super Robot Wars V
Super Robot Wars X
Trials of Mana
Urban Reign

2/5
Blasphemous
Dead to Rights
Doom 64
Ghosthunter
Golden Axe II
Mega Man Powered Up
Nostalgia

There's no possible way you could have beaten all these games. I didn't even play this much in a year when I was a NEET and played video games 50 hours per week. Lots here is short, console games, but even excluding them.......I call bullshit.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Might & Magic I through IX
Starcrawlers
Just Cause
Just Cause 3
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Shadowrun Returns
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Shadowrun Hong Kong
Arx Fatalis
Bard's Tale Remastered and Resnarkled
Bully Scholarship Edition
Grim Dawn
Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death
Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns
Kohan II: Kings of War
Legend of Grimrock
Legend of Grimrock II
Mass Effect 3
Mirror's Edge
Necrovision
Necrovision Lost Company
Postal Redux
Regions of Ruin
Eye of the Beholder
Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon
Eye of the Beholder III: Assault on Myth Drannor
Black Moon Chronicles
Tropico 2
Children of the Nile Complete
Stonekeep
The Temple of Elemental Evil
UFO Aftermath
UFO Aftershock
UFO Afterlight
Victor Vran
Xcom Enemy Unknown
Nox
A.I.M. 2 Clan Wars
Genesis Rising
Silent Storm
Silent Storm Sentinels
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale II
Space Pirates and Zombies
Armies of Exigo
Throne of Darkness
World in Conflict Complete Edition
Sacrifice

Probably forgetting a few, but whatever. Most of them were good fun.

Holy shit, I didn't notice this, but it's even more implausible. No way you finished all these games in 2020. You have like 20 or so 100+ hour games here.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Holy shit, I didn't notice this, but it's even more implausible. No way you finished all these games in 2020. You have like 20 or so 100+ hour games here.
Some of us actually, may Y*hweh forgive me for uttering such words, play video games. NEET with around 80 to 100+ hours a week of game time constantly.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
In roughly chronological order:

Amid Evil
Blood
Dusk
FEAR
Halo: Reach
Diablo 3
Grim Dawn
Titan Quest
Warhammer: Total War II
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
Lunar II: Eternal Blue Complete
Breath of Fire III

As you can tell, I go through phases. First it was FPS, then ARPG, then I was obsessed with Total Warhammer for a while, then it was old JRPGs. I also put a lot of time into games that I haven't finished, at least not yet. Kingmaker in particularly stands out there, I like the game but it is way too long.

Arcks

Educated

Games finished in 2020

5/5
Duke Nukem 3D
Persona 4 Golden
Rune Factory 4

4/5
Dusk
Dynamite Headdy
Endless Legend
Hitman 2
Judgment
Mega Man Zero 3
Panzer Corps 2
Quake II
Resident Evil 2
Senjo no Valkyria 3
Shadow Warrior
Super Mario 64
Yakuza Kiwami 2

3/5
Bard's Tale
Commando Steel Disaster
Contra 4
Decap Attack
Final Fight 3
Front Mission 1st
Glory of Heracles
Luminous Arc
Marvel's Spider-Man
Mega Man & Bass
Mega Man Star Force
Mega Man Zero 4
Moonlighter
Nano Breaker
Project Warlock
Shining Force II
Shinobi
Splatterhouse 3
Streets of Rage 2
Super Robot Wars V
Super Robot Wars X
Trials of Mana
Urban Reign

2/5
Blasphemous
Dead to Rights
Doom 64
Ghosthunter
Golden Axe II
Mega Man Powered Up
Nostalgia

There's no possible way you could have beaten all these games. I didn't even play this much in a year when I was a NEET and played video games 50 hours per week. Lots here is short, console games, but even excluding them.......I call bullshit.

There's no way to prove my list is legit either way, got Gameplay time tracker, but it only tracks PC. And you can finish many of these games lot faster then average when you're using speedhack feature of Cheat engine and emulator turbo. And that's just single-player games...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom