Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What I should play first? Gothic 1 or 2?

aloeh

Novice
Hi guys

I started play piranha bytes games with Elex, after that Elex 2, Risen, Risen 2, and I'm in middle of Risen 3.

The next game I'll play is the shit Gothic 3, just because I'm being a completionist and I what play all, so I'll go with bad first.

But the good ones I have this doubt, play the raw first game and go to the improved experience or do to the other way around?

And Arcania? Have any correlation?

Thanks for the replys!

Codex Year of the Donut
The trilogy is meant to be played in order.
G1->G2->Archolos.
But what about Gothic 3? Play after Archolos mod?

And Arcanaina? Just forget this exists?
Gothic 3 is divisive. I thought it was good when modded correctly as the fan material is of rather high quality. If you want to play it, just put it between G2 and Archolos. It's not a must play, but I don't think it's as bad as people say.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Start with Gothic 1 or a lot of elements in the sequel just won't have any gravity. Gothic 1 is also quite a bit easier than Gothic 2 if you have NotR installed and I assume you will so it's good to have a primer. I guess there's a patch for Gothic 3 that finally does away with the stutters and loading problems, wish to God I'd known about it before I played it again a few months ago. It'll make Gothic 3 playable, but it still won't make it a good game.

Codex Year of the Donut
Don't skip Gothic 1, honestly I like G1 more than G2...
Much better overall story/worldbuilding, but G2 refines heavily on the actual mechanics.
For an example of what I mean, I think the G1 factions are significantly more interesting than G2's.

Slaver1

Savant
Gothic has never been good. A janky, amateur affair from day one which was memed into becoming a rallying call for the stillborn German videogames industry.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The trilogy is meant to be played in order.
G1->G2->Archolos.
But what about Gothic 3?
I replayed them just some time ago. Gothic 1 & 2 being one of the best RPGs ever released engrossed me once again even if I completed them multiple times over a decade ago. Once again I had so much fun as with few other games. Then it became time for Gothic 3.

It's even worse than I remember it and I didn't finish it when I bought it on release, nor I am going to finish it now. It's extremely buggy, bland and boring. Even if you use Community Patch 1.75.

Remember how amazing storytelling and quests were in Gothics? How much attention to details was given? How even simplest tasks had a story you could recall and inscribed memories? Gothic 3 throws it all out the window for copy-pasted quests and locations.

I do not mean it figuratively. The entire world is filled with many towns. You can traverse through three different kingdoms/areas - from their farms to their capitals. The problem is: They all have the very same quests to get +++ reputation, so you can meet the leader, do a quest for him and get an artifact that you need to collect from another fed-ex quest (from Xardas/Rhobar). ALL quests are extremely simplistic and devoid of story. You meet many people, no matter if these are old friend NPCs, the king or just random people on the street - they all have only very few uninteresting lines that just tell you what to do for their fed-ex quest, and after you complete it you forget about them. There are no stories told. Have you seen the outro of Gothic 2 and you had many questions? Now when you meet Xardas he only says "I devoured the power of dragons! Now bring me 6 artifacts". The same if you meet the king himself: "We lost the war, so now I need 6 artifacts!".

Instead of faction choice, now you get +++ points in factions by doing the same extremely basic tasks or freeing towns (where you just kill all orcs in a town). Mentioning orcs, I should also add that the terrifying orcs of Gothic 1/2 with their own language and tribal culture were replaced with "intelligent" orcs that are exactly like humans, but bigger and greener/more blue.

The main story I cannot criticize because it doesn't exist. You are just thrown into the world with copy-pasted everything repeating same quest over and over again. By chance you should gather all the artifacts at some point and bring them somewhere to finish the game, but I had no patience to do so. I endured through a lot of trashy games, but this one is too much. Except decent music it has no positive aspects. There is literally no motive to play it, MMOs are way more varied in quests and elaborate in their story.

If only at least it was a decent walking simulator. However, all surroundings and environments are also just copy-paste and there is no reason for exploration. This game is the opus magnum of copy-paste. It is the embodiment of repeatability. I have never in my life played a game that is even half as protracting. Even for a fan of original Gothics this game is pure garbage. And ports? None whatsoever, apparently Khorinis had the only port in the known world.

I won't even go through trouble of describing how technically bad this game is and constantly sutters for 1-3 seconds even on a modern NVMe SSD with 4 core CPU and decently powerful GPU.

I cannot recommend it to anyone. Not for any price, not for any time. Gothic 3 is just terrible game in practically every aspect and playing it feels like an unrewarding chore. It it beyond my grasp how people who made original Gothics could make this junk. It is one of the worst RPGs I have ever played.
And Arcanaina? Just forget this exists?
Fetch quest upon fetch quest.

-I need to speak with lord of the castle!
- Orks imprisoned him, our great hero! Our army can't stand against them! Go, you deal with them!
Great hero: Of course! I will go and free him or I will never come back!
*goes to orks*
Guard at the gate: I can't let you speak with my leader! Until you get me booze from a shaman, go get it!
Shaman: I can't give you booze until you find some ork!
Some ork: I can't go back until you return my amulet from another ork!
Another ork: I will not give you amulet! *fights* Ok, I'll give you amulet!
The great hero now needs to go back through the chain of NPCs, but actually duck that, I don't give a potato anymore. Literally, every quest is like this.

In addition, this game is not open world at all. Small island areas open up along with the quest line. Moreover the game is full of bugs and if you try to explore and go off the path to ie. a forest, then the character will start sliding over environment and then randomly die. If you jump into shallow water you instantly die, and so on.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Gothic 1 followed by Gothic 2 is the proper order. Its a direct sequel that continues where Gothic 1 ended and there are many recurring characters and references to the first game. You gain nothing by playing Gothic 2 before Gothic 1, but you will have a smoother and better experience if you stick to Gothic 1 followed by Gothic 2.

Codex Year of the Donut
Gothic has never been good. A janky, amateur affair from day one which was memed into becoming a rallying call for the stillborn German videogames industry.
They're... ok. Archolos is significantly better, I just played G1->G2->Archolos in a row, I'm in the middle of Archolos now and it's not even a question for me. Even if the rest of the game was outerworlds-tier, what content I've gone through so far was longer than Gothic or Gothic 2 + I enjoyed it more.

If your problem is the controls, I've heard a lot of people who hate the controls enjoy playing them with a controller. Tbh the controls do feel like a console port's controls. Anyways, the resource manager for union mods has a mod called zgamepad which is supposedly good.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I always enjoyed playing Gothics with keyboard only. They were made for it. Mice are for moderntards.

catfood

AGAIN
Nothing like playing Gothic 1 first

and then revisiting the colony in Gothic 2 and see how things have changed

Seriously it's one of the best moments in video games. You would do yourself an immense disservice if you skip the first game.

Fargus

Arcane
Pretty much G1, then G2\NotR then Archolos. G3 is ok, i love the music and atmosphere. But the combat fucking sucks. Also questing and npc dialogues were severely dumbed down. Many quests are mmo tier. If you won't outright hate G3 after you try it then just play it through as a conclusion to Gothic series and move on.

The indian expansion (Forsaken Gods) and Arcania are cancer. Avoid them.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
G1, then G2 NOTR and then Archolos

If you feel G1 looks too old, there are guides on how to use DX11 enhancements and texture packs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom