Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the grimdark-est grimdark rpg?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Fucking gay bear x vampire is damn grim and dark and nightmare inducing just by the description.

goregasm

Scholar
Anyone played Beast: The False Prophet?

Not sure if it's an rpg, or grimdark, but it sure looks grim and....dark. Graphically at least.

Edit: just saw the small review here, not an rpg

Harthwain

Magister
Anyone played Beast: The False Prophet?

Not sure if it's an rpg, or grimdark, but it sure looks grim and....dark. Graphically at least.

Edit: just saw the small review here, not an rpg
It depends a lot on whether you count tactical games with RPG elements as actual RPGs (the OP apparently does).

King Arthur: Knight's Tale and Battle Brothers fall under that category. Also, Mordheim: City of the Damned.

Borelli

Arcane
Blood Omen Legacy of Kain
Soul reaver tops it in the grimdark department probably.
I disagree, while Soul Reaver 1 post apo setting makes it grim, at the end of day you have a good reason to be vengeful and spend most of the game killing.

In Blood Omen 1 you are anti hero at best and villain at worst, no one is trustworthy, good guys lose, and you make the world a shittier place.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Battle Brothers
nigga, bb is not grimdark. good guys win almost every time, even on ironman, after some accumulated knowledge.
Whether you win or not in particular battles is of no concern for a game being grimdark or not. What counts is that you can't change the world for better, it remains shit no matter how successful you are. In vast majority computer RPGs (or CRPG-ish like BB) the player is supposed to win in the end. Including most games mentioned in this thread.
In early versions of Battle Brother, iirc, settlements being destroyed permanently was the default. It meant that the situation can only get worse with time - very grimdarkly. The world is portrayed facing constant, unending, threat of undead, greenskins, civil and religious wars. There are slavers, dark cults, bros end dead or maimed all the time, etc...
However the mentioned permanent destruction is now an option that nobody plays with and the world is not THAT dark or grim, even if it can be seen as doomed like, say, Warhammer/40K.
I'd classify Battle Brothers as just "dark" but not over the top "grimdark". One can claim it is the best type of "darkness".

Serus

Arcane
Patron
dark sun is as grimdark as it gets

lol
Dark Sun pnp RPG setting could be, perhaps, called grimdark. It seems to be really oppressive, brutal and hopeless. I'm not sure about the computer game(s) though. I didn't play much the first one but it seemed to me... too colorful, sunny (i know, it's a desert world, it doesn't have to be literally dark). Even the fact that you start as slave on an arena doesn't change it.
Since i only played a few hours (of 1st game) I might be very wrong.

Developer
Dark Sun pnp RPG could be perhaps called grimdark but i'm not sure about the computer games.

Indeed Shattered Lands is far from Grimdark. As much as I like the game, the main plot is the cliched heroic plucky underdog uniting the rebel factions against the evil army, ultimately defeating it (difficulty spike notwithstanding :P).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Dark Sun pnp RPG setting could be, perhaps, called grimdark. It seems to be really oppressive, brutal and hopeless. I'm not sure about the computer game(s) though. I didn't play much the first one but it seemed to me... too colorful, sunny (i know, it's a desert world, it doesn't have to be literally dark). Even the fact that you start as slave on an arena doesn't change it.
Since i only played a few hours (of 1st game) I might be very wrong.
Correct about the games, as for the setting, it's a fantasy version of a post-apocalyptic setting. The entire region (which is de facto the entire world) consists of a bunch of city-states ruled by tyrannical, immortal sorcerer-kings, while the landscape is mostly environmentally devastated. However, the very first adventure (which is also the plot of the first novel) has the sorcerer-king of Tyr overthrown and killed, and this and various other events of the adventure modules and novels would be integrated into the second version of the Dark Sun box set, fundamentally altering the setting and rendering it far less "grimdark".

Lhynn

Arcane
I dont know man, I always thought Paranoia had the worst timeline.

n0wh3r3

Novice
Warhammer is not that grimdark IMO, yes, lot of people dying but there are still heroes doing heroic stuff.
that's the point. without any glimmer of hope there can be no true darkness.
Yah, what shall we call the darkdark game then?

Where's no hope?
boring pointless shit?
An office job....
i remember side stories in another eden. genocide, cannibalism - lots of sick shit. and most depressing was story about corporate wage slave...

i9JlPEo.png

but again - mandatory glimmer of hope! one day company mascot doll starts talking to him and he sees the light at the end of the tonnel

FpodTyy.png

9F4iZpo.png
what game is this?

Reinhardt

Arcane
Warhammer is not that grimdark IMO, yes, lot of people dying but there are still heroes doing heroic stuff.
that's the point. without any glimmer of hope there can be no true darkness.
Yah, what shall we call the darkdark game then?

Where's no hope?
boring pointless shit?
An office job....
i remember side stories in another eden. genocide, cannibalism - lots of sick shit. and most depressing was story about corporate wage slave...

i9JlPEo.png

but again - mandatory glimmer of hope! one day company mascot doll starts talking to him and he sees the light at the end of the tonnel

FpodTyy.png

9F4iZpo.png
what game is this?
another eden

Terenty

Liturgist
I'd say Demon Souls has one of the bleakest settings, Tower of Latria and Valley of Defilement are textbook grimdark

PsihoKekec

Novice
I hate those tentacle head guards, always had to tiptoe around so I could stab them in the back (love the stab in the back animation though).

n0wh3r3

Novice
Not the grim-darkest but I'd say Lawless Lands and other Corrosive Studios games are pretty grim-dark and not well known rpg maker games. Not bad games though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom