Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is your favorite Combat strategy game of all time?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Its rubbish. There's that lovely save game bug for example. Did you know that when you load a save game all of the AI's build queues, move orders and political biases are WIPED?

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
OK, didn't know that...
But the game rocks anyway... :)

Speaking of Rome... I know a couple of people that played the game mostly for the economical part, on the world map. They had the computer decide the outcome of the battle for them, relying solely on numbers... I think that's sad. The real time strategy component is the best part about the game, IMO. I took great pleasure when I managed to win a battle even if the odds were against me, by using the special abilities of each unit.
How did you guys play the game?

Mangler

Novice
JA2, TA, RA2. Dune 2 would be a runner up. (old DOS version not the 2000 remake)

Who here is still interested in TA?

would you believe its not dead? well take a look

HERE!

unlike some other TA projects this one is actually going somewhere.

trystero

Novice
Hmm... when I saw "Combat" with a capital 'C' I thought the thread was about the Atari 2600 game... In which case, I'm compelled to vote for Game No. 7, Tank Pong w/ Billiard and Direct Hit in Complex Maze.

Combat is still possibly better than half the games listed here anyway.

- trystero

Linedog

Novice
Kthan75 said:
OK, didn't know that...
But the game rocks anyway... :)

Speaking of Rome... I know a couple of people that played the game mostly for the economical part, on the world map. They had the computer decide the outcome of the battle for them, relying solely on numbers... I think that's sad. The real time strategy component is the best part about the game, IMO. I took great pleasure when I managed to win a battle even if the odds were against me, by using the special abilities of each unit.
How did you guys play the game?

I play using the SPQR mod, for which I designed the map. Or, latelely, I play with SPQR mod installed but use my map mod - new province 2.3. I t adds about 70 provinces and starts with many more rebel provinces.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I got two all-time Favorite RTSs:

STARCRAFT (+BROODWAR)

WARCRAFT (+TFT)

I play them quite professionally. I started with SC, but now I'm all into WC3:TFT (current patch 1.18).
Right now practicing for my local WCG preliminaries.

youhomofo

Augur
OH MY GOD U STUPID SHITS!!!! HOW U DONT EVEN MENTION FINAL FANTSY TACTIS???? THAT IS LIKE THE FIRST FUCKING TACTICS GAME EVER U WOUDNT EVEN HAVE YOUR OTHER CRAPASS GAMES IF NOT FOR THAT ONE U STUPID FUCKING TUMOR BRAINED SHITMOUTHED CUMSTAINS!!! I HOPE WHEN U DADDY GET DONE RAPING UR MOUTH U GET THE AIDS!!!!!!

Ryuken

Liturgist
Combat strategy made me think about Jagged Alliance 2 too, yeah.

The other 'greatest' tbs games imo: Age of Wonders (and perhaps AoW: Shadow Magic too but the first packed the biggest punch, the European version with a lot less bugs than the American version I mean), Warlords III (just f*cking unbelievable what happened afterwards with those series).

As for rts: Total Annihilation (it's just the complete picture, so many stuff to do), StarCraft (the story part for sure), WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne (very neat, intense, non-stop action campaign), KKnD 1 (humor, ass-kicking rock music)

I never really got into Total War until Rome. Another honourable mention is Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance. While the adventure/rpg part sucked monkeyballs (especially without a saving option) the tbs nation management and real-time, chess like battles component were pretty enjoyable.

Vykromond

Scholar
For me, the Tier 1 RTS's are Starcraft (original, Brood Wars was pretty limp), TA, Europa Universalis, and Kohan. How could you guys not mention Kohan, at least? Baby Jesus cries.

Tier 1 TBS's with meaningful combat (not Civ, for instance): Panzer/Fantasy General, Age of Wonders. There are more, but I can't think of any at the moment. The early entries in the Warlords series were alright.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
youhomofo said:
OH MY GOD U STUPID SHITS!!!! HOW U DONT EVEN MENTION FINAL FANTSY TACTIS???? THAT IS LIKE THE FIRST FUCKING TACTICS GAME EVER U WOUDNT EVEN HAVE YOUR OTHER CRAPASS GAMES IF NOT FOR THAT ONE U STUPID FUCKING TUMOR BRAINED SHITMOUTHED CUMSTAINS!!! I HOPE WHEN U DADDY GET DONE RAPING UR MOUTH U GET THE AIDS!!!!!!
You make a good point.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I really liked pac-man, and ms. pac-man really improved upon a winning formula. Can't beat the combat in those games. The strategy was fast and furoius.

And then of course Archon.

drexciya

Augur
My favorites are not much RTS oriented; I'm just not that much into that stuff.

I prefer games like:
UFO/X-Com, Panzer General I/II (the first game really got something started in the genre), Alpha Centauri (Civilization was nice, but those rehashes get a bit boring, the sci-fi thing is refreshing), Master of Magic, HoMM 2/3 and Age of Wonders.

AZ

Liturgist
The patched version of Lords of Magic is very enjoyable too. But, I played Total Annihilation a lot. :cool:

Atrokkus

Erudite
Starcraft (original, Brood Wars was pretty limp),
Huh? may I ask, what exactly you think its flaw was?
I can't see any.
In fact, in terms of strategy (not story), BW was *BETTER* in every way possible. Believe me, I know what i'm talking about.
But if you're talking about story - well, it's purely a matter of taste. I loved both parts.

drexciya

Augur
AZ said:
The patched version of Lords of Magic is very enjoyable too. But, I played Total Annihilation a lot. :cool:
I've tried it recently and it's rather nice, but there was something mentioned about custom hero characters to start with. I couldn't get that to work, am I missing something there?

Vykromond

Scholar
mEtaLL1x said:
Huh? may I ask, what exactly you think its flaw was?
I can't see any.
In fact, in terms of strategy (not story), BW was *BETTER* in every way possible. Believe me, I know what i'm talking about.
But if you're talking about story - well, it's purely a matter of taste. I loved both parts.

Dull-as-shit and too easy single-player campaign (with only one good cinematic, not counting the intro), uninspired unit design (either too powerful or completely fucking worthless). I still play Starcraft original if I want to do some multiplayer with my friends.

copx said:

Not much of a "combat strategy game," is it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom