Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is your favorite Combat strategy game of all time?

Astromarine

Erudite
yes. Carry on.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
EEVIAC said:
I grew up watching Transformers, Robotech and Voltron so I don't have as much of a problem with anime shit. The Front Mission games for SNES and PSX had good turn-based combat, but the spiky-blue-haired anime content will give you a nervous tick.

Well, the original Transformers wasn't anime crap. It was dumb in a lot of places, but no where near as retarded as anime typically is. The new Transformers cartoon is anime, though, and it fucking sucks.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yes, anime is typically retarded, like in the case of that shitty "Samurai X" anime, where the thing can go from 'fight scene with a bunch of lines scrolling in the back' to 'all the characters turn into mini-caricatures that beat each other in a violent and unrealistic fashion'. It's rubbish.

There's very little good anime. I can only think of the old Transformers, Macross (Robotech), Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop (both the series and the movie) and Berserk. The scenes are actually animated, without the 'scrolling line' nonsense, no DragonBall nonsense, and none of the characters turn into caricatures with giant sweat beads floating over their head.

I haven't seen Akira, and I probably should. SteamBoy looks pretty good, too.

The old Transformer and Robotech had a definite lack of 'spiky blue haired' anime content, giant saucerplate eyes, or any other ridiculous shit. It's the same way with Cowboy Bebop, which is a pretty awesome series. The music's especially good, ranging from big band to jazz fusion. There's no J-Pop, in contrast to DragonBall.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I digged DragonBall Z, but mostly for the fight scenes alone, and mostly anything Vegeta-related. There was much rubbish going on in it, though. That Hercule crap was unbearable at times.

And Akira rules, even after all these years.

Fez

Erudite
Anime's ludicrous popularity also makes it worse. The vast amounts of bad anime drawings makes Apollo weep.

Saran

Scholar
Well i despise most anime and even i enjoyed Akira, it was one of the first anime's i saw IIRC.

Im probably going to get torn a new arsehole for this but ghost in the shell is a bit overrated, i havent seen it in ages so maybe its just that i forget a lot of the good stuff, but then again i remember a lot of the scenes from Akira vividly, but one of the few things i remember from Ghost in the shell was a guy running from the main character, then turning around and firing an uzi along with the bit at the end with the robot/mech.

Hmmm, i think i should go borrow it off of a friend soon, who knows, maybe im speaking out of my arse and its great, but if the movie is that forgetable i doubt it.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
When I saw Ghost in the Shell I was thinking "good premise, boring execution". It really is forgetable. I was told that, much like Akira, it fails to encompass all the story present in the original manga. But while Akira manages to present a good enough anime without going into as much detail as a series of mangas, something is terribly missing in GitS.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Exitium said:
I haven't seen Akira, and I probably should.
I don't know. Imo it was one of the most boring films I've ever seen. It had a Polish voiceover, though - maybe it'd be better with subtitles. The crappy (iirc - it was many years ago) animation didn't help (and I love South Park), although maybe it was "stylish" and one shouln't complain about it.

gromit

Arcane
Seven said:
I dunno I recall the wars getting pretty and hot and heavy in Alpha Centuari. God damned Belivers and those warlike Spartans.

Yeah, things didn't always go so well (?) versus the AI. That's how it generally turned out when we played it at LANs, though. You haven't lived until you've been up on a beer and caffiene binge until 4am and started shouting things like "I swear to god, Steve, you sell that bastard Applied Gravitronics and your northern landmass is fucking GONE!" The Singularity Planet Buster has to be the most intimidating weapon in any game, ever.

Fez

Erudite
Sounds like Ex's ideal girl, you should hook them up. At least it'll stop him from lurking in the parks to satiate his urges.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Elwro said:
Exitium said:
I haven't seen Akira, and I probably should.
I don't know. Imo it was one of the most boring films I've ever seen. It had a Polish voiceover, though - maybe it'd be better with subtitles. The crappy (iirc - it was many years ago) animation didn't help (and I love South Park), although maybe it was "stylish" and one shouln't complain about it.

Crappy animation? Doh! I'm so used to Cowboy Bebop's fluid animation and fully detailed scenes. I don't think I could digress to something like that.

Fez

Erudite
Or if they ever patch it so it isn't broken.

fastjack

Augur
re

combat mission barbarossa to berlin, then mtw

i cant believe that combat strategy game=rts for everyone, pretty weird.

also silent storm honorable mention.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Hmm, the old time strat fav? Hard to pick, there have been many great games over the years.

Master of Magic was pretty goddamn great for its time. 2 worlds to play in, loadsa races. Several magic types to pick and your own item crafting. I loved it, AOW2 has taken its place these days but still, it's taken a lot of time of my life.

Medieval Total War with the viking expansion. I just loved the new variety in units, battles and gameplay with the expansion. Played it to death as both a viking raiding great britain into ruin and as a king desperately trying to stop them. The best expansion ever in one of the best game titles I ever played. Rome has better graphics but is still a bit too broken at this time to best this....and fuck, medieval has vikings and a golden horde!

Ufo; enemy unknown, the original was utterly kick-ass. Creepy aliens, cool guns, flying saucers, nicely drawn graphics, atmosphere and turn based gameplay. Made me an adept to the series even though I kinda sucked at playing it (ie...I've seen the game over screen a shitload of times) Get it, it's great and at many abandonware sites

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Kizmiaz said:
Mm, yeah. Panzer General 2 still rules here too.
Fuck yeah, PGII was great.
The only Total War I have played to any great extent was the original Shogun one. Is was a lot of fun, but I was crap :lol:

I quite like the recent WW2 RTS games, you know, like Sudden Strike I & 2, Blitzkreig, and so on. I've been meaning to get back to some of them. Oh if only I had the time :cry:

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Exitium said:
Medieval Total War is good. Rome? No. Maybe with the Rome: Total Realism mod.

What do you have against Rome?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom