Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What kind of characters do you make?

Cassidy

Arcane
In first playthroughs I rarely risk anything outside of a basic tank or, in games with firearms, a sharpshooter, just in case the game sucks for characters that aren't combat oriented. If the game, or more oftenly, mods made for the same engine using the same ruleset, are worth to play, then I'll almost always pick up either a rogue or a spellcaster archetype. My favorite kind of character though is the rogue.

As for LARPing, I don't do it. I assume the character's personality is supposed to be reflected by the way the dialogue options are written instead of refusing to steal something the game doesn't punish lawful characters for if it is there. Anything outside of the game content proper is as irrelevant as riding a horse in Skyrim.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I like specialized characters in party rpg, allowing the recruitable npcs covering my weakness. But when playing those solo adventures RPG, I usually mess up my build because I wanted to be good at everything.

Topher

Cipher
I really like the more agile characters... so in D&D games for instance I tend to play a fighter or fighter/thief and while the actually thief skills are great I play them more as dexterous fighters. In games like Fallout this carries over and I'll go for high accuracy and high critical chance.

Lunac

Arcane
Depends on the game of course. In a fantasy genre where you are allowed only a single character I prefer, if possible, a sort of sorcerer/mage bazooka template. Just pure elemental offensive destruction with some ancillary melee capabilities. Also, it has to be substantially a physically-capable character in essence, which sort of goes against the whole wimpy robed sorcerer/mage type most games pimp these days. This results in me making a character that is effectively limited in scope compared to whatever stereotypical template is offered by the game in question. More challenging, but hey, I likes it that way.

If wayfaring skills/attributes/capabilities are offered, then I usually throw in as many of those as allowed. Lockpicking, anything lore related, and what not, usually at the expense of restorative/healing capabilities, magical or not. Never cared for those. I dislike games where you can just point and click on a potion/healing kit, or a conveniently placed healing altar/fountain and be back to 100% in no time. Any skills that help me do that go ignored. Just reminds me too much of regenerative health in popamole shooters these days.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
I normally start off with either a skill-oriented thief class or a lawful-stupid paladin class.

I've never been really sold on a full-blown magic character for my own employ. I prefer to let the NPCs (if any) fill that role for me.

oscar

Arcane
A fighter-diplomat hybrid. Generally good aligned but not "lawful stupid" or "rebel without a cause". Pragmatic, fair and a suave fellow.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I like weird mixes of stuff, like a half-orc thief or ranger.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I'm a big fan of melee combat, exception being in games with guns (barring Arcanum). I also always increase diplomacy/speech if that's an option.

Actually I don't think I've ever gone through a game solely as a spellcaster, lol.

AZ

Liturgist
usually neutral, diplomatic

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom