Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What RPG had the best companions?

Aarwolf

Learned
Planescape: Torment.

Codex Year of the Donut
Van Helsing trilogy.
Has exactly one companion who is fully customizable with a lot of dialogue and utility to do things you can't do.

Palomides

Augur
Baldur's Gate 2: Korgan, Viconia, Sarevok, Jaheira, even that failed loser Anomen. Let's not forget Edwina, too!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Edgy answer: Pool of Radiance. Hero never complained, he kept his dick in his pants and his opinions to himself.

Straight answer: The Baldur's Gate games. I find most of the companions at least somewhat amusing and memorable. The romancing was still just an option to be explored by the Bruces among us, and voice acting was limited to greetings and combat sounds, as it bloody well should be.

Codex Year of the Donut
BG1 is a great example of why focusing on a few is better than spreading yourself thin.
Very few people can even name all of the companions from BG1 without looking it up.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Mh, Fire Emblem games. You grow them, you grow attached to them, you watch them die.

Kaivokz

Arcane
4VE9Xgi.jpg

The Inigo mod for Skyrim. It adds a companion named Inigo, who reacts to EVERYTHING. Insane amount of voice acting, even miscellaneous details. For example, if you talk to Inigo while sneaking, he will whisper. If you go into a bar, he might try ordering a drink. He has unique things to say for every place you visit, and even commentates on sidequests. Etc. Very immersive. Inigo is the closest I've felt to adventuring with another character, rather than just having a braindead NPC meatbag following me around. RPG party members should have at least the same level of effort put into them as Inigo. Imagine if you had a whole party of characters with the complexity of Inigo and they could interact with each other.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
But does he say "In I go!" in combat and then go out of his way to be between you and your enemies? I hated that in Morrowind.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Dungeon Master and all the other games where the only "companions" are the pregenerated but selectable party members over which the player has full control; or Pool of Radiance and all the other games where the only "companions" are the player-generated party members under the player's full control. :M

Alternatively, Dragon's Dogma, since as an action RPG it wasn't feasible to have more than one character under the player's control, yet it managed to integrate three AI-controlled party members into an excellent combat system, and those three party members are either generated by (the main pawn) or selected by (the support pawns) the player, without any personality or background of their own. +M

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Baldur's Gate II hits the sweet spot for me. I also liked most characters in Spellforce 3, in particular the trolls in Fallen God. Mass Effect 1-3 also did a decent job overall with Garrus, Wrex, Mordin, Javik.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Baldur's Gate 2: Korgan, Viconia, Sarevok, Jaheira, even that failed loser Anomen. Let's not forget Edwina, too!
I concur.
Keldorn is also a great companion and Paladin gigachad.
In Throne of Bhaal you can also recruit Sarevok. Has the same voice actor as Jolee Bindo(Michael Richardson). Awesome.

bobocrunch

Educated
expeditions rome i dont think had any companions that stood out as boring except maybe deianara the scythian slave who they admittedly added later in development, even the seemingly one dimensional or boring Rogueish Crass Woman or Hotheaded Gladiator Guy turn out to have actual Character and motivations besides being archetypes for the player to bounce off

my biggest problem with the game was the deeper character interactions being closed off to their own arcs, which is probably part of their strength

Silverfish

Arbiter
Shadow Hearts Covenant - Not only did this have some great characters in terms of personality (even the dog was a badass), but some were also tied into "real" life such as Anastasia and Geppetto.

My nigga.

Anyway, for whatever reason, I've always dug Edwen from Bound by Flame.

bound_by_flame-edwen_witch-890x606.jpg

No idea why.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Technically, KotOR 2 has Visas Marr, who's probably the runner-up for Best Avellone Trolling the Player. That seems to be a thing with Chris.
In what way?
Visas truly loves the (Male)Exile, it makes sense, seeing as they experienced firsthand the destruction of entire planets(Malachor V and Katarr, respectively).
You tend to sympathise with others who went through the same hardships as you.
Oh, it's been a long time now. I just remember the way Kreia challenges the Exile on sniffing around Visas and "wanting to see what's under those robes" or something like that. Makes perfect sense in-character, even hints at a more intimately bitter side to the old hag, but even as a teenager I could read between those lines for Avellone's "got you, fucker!"
Truth be told, Visas has one of the - if not the - most intimate scenes any companion had with a PC ever in history of companions in cRPGs.

As for the subject:
P:T - an obvious one, but I think it should be noted that making a cast of memorable weirdos is comparatively easy; P:T I believe hits this sweet spot where said weirdos are also well written and likeable (unlike, say, Numanuma which operates on the same premise)
KotOR2 - another Cpt. Obvious; though I would like to admit that as years go by I think of Kreia as way too tryhardy more and more
Anachronox - it wasn't mentioned by now how...? I don't want to spoil too much but Anachronox boasts some of the most creative companion designs ever
MotB - don't know what to say here, a classic
Mass Effect - I'll be honest, I think that ME companions are either BW's peak or close to it; some of the cast members are surprisingly nuanced, Garrus especially, and it's not at all in your face; and when it's in your face then ME can do it excellently - Mordin in ME2 is a prime example
Shadowrun: Hong Kong - honestly, I think that S:HK is one of the best examples of very standard companions done right
(an honorable mention) Disco Elysium - Kim Kitsuragi is finest, both of his precinct and in general

Shaki

Arbiter
Any RPG that lets your create your own party. Pre-written companions are inherently bad, because they are a gateway to the biggest sin of cRPGs: companion romances.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
The best companion is Kim Kisturagi from Disco Elysium.
other great companions :
- Planescape Torment
- Shadowrun: Dragonfall
- Ultima, but only because it is fun to see the same old faces again and again

FriendlyMerchant

BG2; Jan Jansen. Every other companion in every other game is trash. Well... except for that gnome in NWN2... The Gnome wizard in the best module of course. He almost reminds me of Golodon except he's way more intelligent being a Gnome and not an elf.

Ladonna

Arcane
Edgy answer: Pool of Radiance. Hero never complained, he kept his dick in his pants and his opinions to himself.
But where did he hide his share? That is the question.

And if he is around at the end, he shows his true colours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom