Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What sort of combat system you prefer in Dragon Age?

I prefer if Dragon Age is more similiar to

• Baldur's Gate Series (Classic Isometric Party Combat)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jade Empire (Sword Style Action Combat)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Except TOEE is easy, and unless you are retarded you should never have to reload all that much if ever.

Armacalypse

Scholar
I think real time with (auto) pause is the superior system. Turn-based doesn't really make that much sense outside of tabletop games, and it's harder to balance too.

And you are either stupid or slow as fuck if you think a game with auto pause where you can also pause every millisecond is twitchy. And even if you are that slow Bioware can potentially just throw in autopause for example every time the enemy moves or changes direction.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
ToEE got tedious because it was one epic low-level combat after another. BG series had an interesting plot. So even if I died and reloaded countless times battling the goddam dragon, it didn't get old too quick.

Sure having to fight kobolds turn-based with a six-member party is an important factor for the game becoming tedious in early stages. As I said, because it works on P&P doesn't mean it'll work on its electronic form. Troika tried for as most faithful implementation as possible without taking into consideration that the PC requires a different approach (strangely they did take such a consideration for Arcanum where they went the other end by simplifying it, but the combat didn't work there too for different reasons).

Difficulty isn't the whole picture though and plot is even less relevant. Picture yourself for instance fighting Kangaxx in BG2 with ToEE's combat system. Horrendous and frustrating, not to mention much less exciting.

imanol

Novice
The Feral Kid said:
Picture yourself for instance fighting Kangaxx in BG2 with ToEE's combat system. Horrendous and frustrating, not to mention much less exciting.

Not necessarily. I would have reloaded much less. Although, maybe it doesn't apply to Kangaxx...6 rounds and your dead with TB, 6 seconds with RT till you realize that the evil dwarf had his uses after all. Firkraag would have been less frustrating if it was turn-based, though.

I don't now, I like slow games. I prefer the Civ series over most RTS. The point being: it's not because TB is superior over RT, but because I like TB better in most of my games.

imanol

Novice
Jasede said:
I killed Firkraag with two castings of Chromatic Orb.

What does that do? I only know fireball, magic missile and lower resistance. I only allow mages to tag along for the occasional dragon-slaying and quick dispatching of kobolds.

Mareus

Magister
Volourn said:
Except TOEE is easy, and unless you are retarded you should never have to reload all that much if ever.

Well there is obviously something wrong with the system if you have to reload 20 times to kill some motherfucker. I played real DnD with dices and never had this problem. I didn't have those problems with Pool of Radiance or Baldur's Gate or Icewind dale which are not the same, but are pretty complex nevertheless. Fuck, even Jagged Alliance 2 was piece of cake when compared to ToEE combat. Sure you had to reload sometimes, but most of the time it was about character skill and not just pure luck. If you want to suggest I just didn't figure out the rules, then how did I ever manage to finish Baldur's Gate whole trilogy with loading only 3 times, and suddenly in ToEE I have to load 20 times just in one battle? I am not a newb when it comes to DnD and there is obviously a flaw in the combat system they made.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
I don't now, I like slow games. I prefer the Civ series over most RTS. The point being: it's not because TB is superior over RT, but because I like TB better in most of my games.

Same here. Civ 2 & Alpha Centauri are my favorite games. And I would love to see an rpg making such good use of TB as these two games, ie complementing and serving the gameplay, not the other way around - trying to adjust the game to the TB combat.

Micmu

Magister
Mareus said:
Jasede said:
Liar.
I did it, too. Doom + chromatic orbs inside trigger cast by poor little Aerie. It looked awesome on her resumee, strongest creature killed: Firkraag.
If you totally bombard him with insta-kill spells (accompanied by spells that worsen his saving throws) he's easier to kill than by brute force.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Out of those two things I'd rather like real time with pause. Not because I'm a big fan of it but it's better than the jade empire option.
Adding turn based combat to this pool would be a good idea but there would be no surprises and no discussion then, wouldn't it :wink: ?

Raapys

Arcane
imanol said:
Jasede said:

What does that do? I only know fireball, magic missile and lower resistance. I only allow mages to tag along for the occasional dragon-slaying and quick dispatching of kobolds.

o_O

You do realize mages/sorcerers are by far the most powerful class in BG2? You can solo anything in the game with a high level sorcerer( although it's easier if you have the Staff of Magi ).

Mareus

Magister
micmu said:
Mareus said:
Jasede said:
Liar.
I did it, too. Doom + chromatic orbs inside trigger cast by poor little Aerie. It looked awesome on her resumee, strongest creature killed: Firkraag.
If you totally bombard him with insta-kill spells (accompanied by spells that worsen his saving throws) he's easier to kill than by brute force.

Exactly my point. You casted more than just 2 x Cromatic Orbs spell. You have to lower it's saving throws and resistances first. I could also say then that I just killed him with 1 hit of my sword. Yeah I did, but first I had to lower his magic resistances and cast harm which left him with 1 HP. Then I charged at him with my paladin and he was dead :lol:

Mareus

Magister
Raapys said:
imanol said:
Jasede said:

o_O

You do realize mages/sorcerers are by far the most powerful class in BG2? You can solo anything in the game with a high level sorcerer( although it's easier if you have the Staff of Magi ).

Actually the most powerful class would be dualclass dualwield kensai/sorcerer. Unfuckingstopabble. I saw some guy on youtube kill 8 dragons all by himself with that class. I couldn't believe it.

Micmu

Magister
Mareus said:
Exactly my point. You casted more than just 2 x Cromatic Orbs spell. You have to lower it's saving throws and resistances first.
No. It was just 1 Doom + 2 Chromatic Orbs (because I was lucky). Since Doom isn't that strong, it would be possible with a single chromatic orb, if you got really lucky (or just be stubborn and reload a lot).
I could also say then that I just killed him with 1 hit of my sword. Yeah I did, but first I had to lower his magic resistances and cast harm which left him with 1 HP. Then I charged at him with my paladin and he was dead :lol:
1HP? Now you're going way too far with that.

Mareus

Magister
micmu said:
Mareus said:
Exactly my point. You casted more than just 2 x Cromatic Orbs spell. You have to lower it's saving throws and resistances first.
No. It was just 1 Doom + 2 Chromatic Orbs (because I was lucky). Since Doom isn't that strong, it would be possible with a single chromatic orb, if you got really lucky (or just be stubborn and reload a lot).
I could also say then that I just killed him with 1 hit of my sword. Yeah I did, but first I had to lower his magic resistances and cast harm which left him with 1 HP. Then I charged at him with my paladin and he was dead :lol:
1HP? Now you're going way too far with that.

Harm if my memory still serves me drops enemies HP down to 1. You remember that Sendai? One second you are full health and then suddenly you are all red? Harm -> for making tough enemies wimps.

imanol

Novice
Mareus said:
Actually the most powerful class would be dualclass dualwield kensai/sorcerer. Unfuckingstopabble. I saw some guy on youtube kill 8 dragons all by himself with that class. I couldn't believe it.

Any Ranger + Crom Faeyr + Celestial Fury + Belt of Inertia(?).

Texas Red

Whiner
Mareus said:
Volourn said:

Well there is obviously something wrong with the system if you have to reload 20 times to kill some motherfucker. I played real DnD with dices and never had this problem. I didn't have those problems with Pool of Radiance or Baldur's Gate or Icewind dale which are not the same, but are pretty complex nevertheless. Fuck, even Jagged Alliance 2 was piece of cake when compared to ToEE combat. Sure you had to reload sometimes, but most of the time it was about character skill and not just pure luck. If you want to suggest I just didn't figure out the rules, then how did I ever manage to finish Baldur's Gate whole trilogy with loading only 3 times, and suddenly in ToEE I have to load 20 times just in one battle? I am not a newb when it comes to DnD and there is obviously a flaw in the combat system they made.

It's obvious that you didn't get very far in ToEE. At maybe first and second level you can be insta killed but later that becomes impossible.

Micmu

Magister
Mareus said:
Harm if my memory still serves me drops enemies HP down to 1. You remember that Sendai? One second you are full health and then suddenly you are all red? Harm -> for making tough enemies wimps.
I know what Harm does. I just meant there's a difference between lowering someone's HPs to 1 and just cursing him a bit with a lvl. 1 spell.
(Haven't tried killing him with Harm though.)

On the topic: RTwP, based on at least semi-decent ruleset, Fuck Yeah!

Black said:
VATS. All the way.
KILL KILL KILL

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom