Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What's the worst non-RPG sequel ever?

DraQ

Arcane
HL2 is inarguably inferior to the first game, but claiming it's the worst sequel ever is absurd. It's an on-rails series of gimmicks, but some of those gimmicks are fun the first few times through. And HL2 didn't kill the franchise, Valve did, not to mention that if you want to bring multiplayer into the conversation HL2 gave us the Source engine which has been used for a slew of okay to great multiplayer focused titles.

If we're going with "worst FPS sequel" I'm inclined to give it to Blood 2.
Blood 2 can definitely give Unreal 2 a run for its money.

HL2 is inarguably inferior to the first game, but claiming it's the worst sequel ever is absurd. It's an on-rails series of gimmicks, but some of those gimmicks are fun the first few times through. And HL2 didn't kill the franchise, Valve did, not to mention that if you want to bring multiplayer into the conversation HL2 gave us the Source engine which has been used for a slew of okay to great multiplayer focused titles.

If we're going with "worst FPS sequel" I'm inclined to give it to Blood 2.
Blood 2 can definitely give Unreal 2 a run for its money.
In fairness I haven’t played Unreal 2. I own it on GoG, but it crashes on launch and I’m not inclined to spend effort on getting a game working when it’s generally considered to be shit.

El Presidente

Arcane
- Simon the Sorcerer 3D is the shittiest sequel of all times, fight me.
- That 3D Leisure Suit Larry game
- THI4F
- C&C4
- Blood 2
- Tomb Raider - Angel of Darkness
- Master of Orion 3

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
A lot of these I haven't played because of their shit reputations, like Blood 2 and Unreal 2. Worst FPS sequel I can think of off the top of my head is FEAR 3. FEAR 2 was nowhere near as good as the original, but it was at least half-decent. FEAR 3 turns into into Call of Duty console trash with barely any story and a co-op focus that ruins the game in singleplayer. Maybe it's better with a friend, but I don't care.

I never liked Assassin's Creed much but I played the first few for the "walking around an ancient city" aspect. Assassin's Creed 3 however started with like 5 hours of railrodaded tutorial nonsense which broke my spirit and sent me away from the series for many years until they went RPG with it in Origins.

I think Escape From Monkey Island is a pretty obvious one in the adventure game arena, which had the bonus aspect of killing Lucasarts as an adventure game studio.

Norfleet

- Master of Orion 3
MOO3 crossed my mind also, being that it was kind of a confused mess of a game that wasn't entirely sure where it wanted to be post MOO2 and severely underdelivered on all fronts, but ultimately, it was a marginally playable, if somewhat lackluster and buggy as all hell, game. It just doesn't quite measure up to the shitshow that was SimShitty 5.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Eh, I might as well dive in. Warcraft 3. Had to quit playing because of the crummy cut-scenes. I really didn't like the game, and every 3rd mission being "Arthas! You betrayed me!" Man, I played the hell out of WC2 - but just couldn't take any more 30 minute cut-scenes and betrayal - like the guys at Activision thought they were writing Othello. (note: You want to put cut-scenes in a RTS? Have commie girls in leather skirts do most of the talking. Short, sweet, grabbed your attention.)

Aemar

Arcane
Lords of the Realm 3 - entire core features removed, a sad finale for the series and especially for Impressions Games
Everything that followed after Stronghold Crusader
HoMM V & Co - the series ended after NWC's demise
Civ3 - worst game in the series. Such a shit game compared to SMAC, released two years earlier

Eh, I might as well dive in. Warcraft 3. Had to quit playing because of the crummy cut-scenes. I really didn't like the game, and every 3rd mission being "Arthas! You betrayed me!" Man, I played the hell out of WC2 - but just couldn't take any more 30 minute cut-scenes and betrayal - like the guys at Activision thought they were writing Othello. (note: You want to put cut-scenes in a RTS? Have commie girls in leather skirts do most of the talking. Short, sweet, grabbed your attention.)

Activision had nothing to do with WC3, and I believe the longest cutscene in the game is about 1 minute 30 seconds, and it’s an outlier.

That said, I agree it’s overrated.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Activision had nothing to do with WC3, and I believe the longest cutscene in the game is about 1 minute 30 seconds, and it’s an outlier.

That said, I agree it’s overrated.
Yeah, well Bethesda should have at least made it humorous - you know, when blind demon man, or Luther, or that Elf gal all trust Arthas, then in the mission before he betrays them, have him wink at the screen in the cutscene. Just to acknowledge we ALL see what's coming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom