Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which Oblivion Dev Lied The Most?

ixg

Erudite
Don't worry, you're doing a great job!

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Vipera said:
If I were 100% dedicated to Bethesda, would I be here pointing out the flaws I find in Oblivion? Admittedly, I find few flaws, but that doesn't mean I'm a Bethesda fanboy.
You have to understand, a lot what goes on here in debate is characterization. A nasty habit some developed playing real RPGs back in the day.

sheek

Arbiter
OverrideB1 said:
Vault Dweller said:
Inziladun said:
Jim Kata said:
Darkflame said:
Do you ever have any actual opinions of your own, or do you just latch onto other people's like flies to shit? Is it too mentally challenging to explain in your own words why the list at the beginning of this thread is "enthusiasm" and "exaggeration" rather than absolute BS?

I agree with darkflame.

I'm with Jim Kata and Darkflame on this.
What that Inziladun guy said. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about.
I disagree with what Darkflame and Inziladun said, but agree with Jim Kata's and Vault Dweller's comments -- or possibly its the other way around...

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you there.

Monica21

Scholar
HardCode said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Vault Dweller said:
Inziladun said:
Jim Kata said:
Darkflame said:
Do you ever have any actual opinions of your own, or do you just latch onto other people's like flies to shit? Is it too mentally challenging to explain in your own words why the list at the beginning of this thread is "enthusiasm" and "exaggeration" rather than absolute BS?

I agree with darkflame.

You're probably right.

Ditto.
I have to agree.

Data4

Arcane
Vipera said:
Am I correct in assuming that no one read the reasons I posted?

Probably. Sucks to not matter, eh?

And for the record, I agree with everyone here, except those I disagree with.

-D4

KreideBein

Scholar
Monica21 said:
HardCode said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Vault Dweller said:
Inziladun said:
Jim Kata said:
Darkflame said:

I agree with darkflame.

You're probably right.

Ditto.
I have to agree.
This is the truth.

davo

Novice
KreideBein said:
Monica21 said:
HardCode said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Vault Dweller said:
Inziladun said:
Jim Kata said:
Darkflame said:

I agree with darkflame.

You're probably right.

Ditto.
I have to agree.
This is the truth.
I concur.

Lumpy

Arcane
davo said:
KreideBein said:
Monica21 said:
HardCode said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Vault Dweller said:
Inziladun said:
Jim Kata said:
Darkflame said:

I agree with darkflame.

You're probably right.

Ditto.
I have to agree.
This is the truth.
I concur.
I agree with Lumpy.

Anaglyph

Novice
One lie that I haven't seen pointed out was one that particularly annoyed me because it wasn't even really for PR purposes, it was simply made to shut up people on the ESF forum who were complaining too much and annoying the devs. Back when there was a big hoop-la over the quest compass and full voice overs and NPC's not giving directions to quest locations, one of the devs put an end to it with the claim that NPC's would give out directions because they obviously "didn't want the game to play itself lol!". I'd like to believe that they were simply misguided and lacking objectivity (coz I quite liked a couple of them), but it looks to me as if they're all a bunch of lying liars lying their lies.

Micmu

Magister
one of the devs put an end to it with the claim that NPC's would give out directions because they obviously "didn't want the game to play itself lol!"
That would probaly be yours trully MrSmiley (see his "i't not a dumbing down feature" reply)
Also, Kathode (I think) said that many people will be surprised by the awesome dialogue they've put in.
As it turned out, he meant it in a negative way...
Another thing is, Howard claimed in many interviews that the game will constantly remind you "you are doing the right stuff, keep going forward, keep going forward, etc...".
And by that he obviously meant those next gen walkthrough message boxes and unbearably railroading plotlines and individual quests. :lol:

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
JrK said:
I guess 'we' can't. Oblivion is a milestone in the amount of hype and lies produced to propagandate the game. The sheer hugeness of unbelievability they tried to shove this shit down our throats *and* financially succeeded is confirming what we were already suspecting:

We're doomed.

I think that, if people just take the initative to scrutinize the media a bit and not take thier word for everything, then we wouldn;t set ourselves up for dissapointment.

And about the "I Expected better of the codex" part, What I expected then, if paired with the current codex that I have seen, would be my expectaions torn inside out.

In other words, The Codex is just the flip side of the coin in relation to the TESF.

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Lumpy said:
davo said:
KreideBein said:
Monica21 said:
HardCode said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Vault Dweller said:
Inziladun said:
Jim Kata said:
Darkflame said:

I agree with darkflame.

You're probably right.

Ditto.
I have to agree.
This is the truth.
I concur.
I agree with Lumpy.
T'is true that Lumpy is most agreeable.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
MINIGUNWIELDER said:
Lumpy said:
davo said:
KreideBein said:
Monica21 said:
HardCode said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Vault Dweller said:
Inziladun said:
Jim Kata said:
Darkflame said:

I agree with darkflame.

You're probably right.

Ditto.
I have to agree.
This is the truth.
I concur.
I agree with Lumpy.
T'is true that Lumpy is most agreeable.
I'm not so sure abou that.

VenomByte

Scholar
micmu said:
one of the devs put an end to it with the claim that NPC's would give out directions because they obviously "didn't want the game to play itself lol!"
That would probaly be yours trully MrSmiley (see his "i't not a dumbing down feature" reply)
Also, Kathode (I think) said that many people will be surprised by the awesome dialogue they've put in.
As it turned out, he meant it in a negative way...
Another thing is, Howard claimed in many interviews that the game will constantly remind you "you are doing the right stuff, keep going forward, keep going forward, etc...".
And by that he obviously meant those next gen walkthrough message boxes and unbearably railroading plotlines and individual quests. :lol:

Literally...

"You are approaching Munchkin Cave. That's good. Turn a little to the left, and keep going forward, keep going forward"

zupof1337ness

Novice
Someone (by now I have forgotten who) claimed 75% of what Bethesda had us expect is not in the game. I have not played Oblivion, I do not own the game and I probably never will. So I will just assume such a claim is true.

Assuming Oblivion cost 60€ (which it did back when I still considered the purchase) and I would get 25% of what I paid for. First of course I subtract what I assume has been added to the cost by the retailer, shipping company and other parties of the marketing chain I am not aware of. A purely hypothetical assumption with no relevance to economy realities would be 20€. 60€ - 20€ = 40€ so that's what Bethesda gets. But since Bethesda did not give me what they promised and sliced off 75%, shouldn't 75% be sliced off the price ass well? 0.25 * 40€ = 10€, which would result in 10€ + 20€ = 30€ being the final price.

If the game indeed cost something around that and my pc could run it at average settings, I might finance Bethesda a little. Of course Bethesda is not fool asking such a outrageous sum for the game. The consumer is a fool because he/she is willing to pay. As long as we let game developers bang us in the ass, they will continue to do so.

SlavemasterT

Arcane

piydek

Cipher
damn, the quotes on the first page of this topic really infuriated me. MrSmileyFaceDude is really a complete dumbfuck and a shameless lying whore. his whoreness beats even pete's.

it's hard to believe how much they LIED about this game prior to release. and this time it's justified to say LIED, since it's all so outrageous and so unmistakeably intentional, without any possibility of different interpretations of what they've been saying.

(very nice thread, by the way...it's good to have all that shit compiled in one thread, quite informative)

taxacaria

Scholar
MSFD has more quotes than the other devs - so the chances are not equally.
But I remember his 'Fear the Walktopus' - now I know what he meant.

seems to be a cheatopus now

walktopus.gif
tes_stevem.jpg

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Anaglyph said:
I'd like to believe that they were simply misguided and lacking objectivity (coz I quite liked a couple of them), but it looks to me as if they're all a bunch of lying liars lying their lies.

That is how I feel/felt. Growing skepticism followed by boisterous laughter as all the trust mes and such turned out to be complete bullshit. It is one thing from the PR clowns, but you expect your actual programmers at least to not outright lie to your face....

piydek

Cipher
Jim Kata said:
It is one thing from the PR clowns, but you expect your actual programmers at least to not outright lie to your face....

exactly.

@ taxacaria - i took into my calculation that mrsmileyfacedude was quoted the most and made sure it doesn't have a psychological/perceptual influence on me when making that statement that his lies are the worst. and also, i assume that this thread contains most of their lies, so if he is quoted the most, then that means he also told not just the worst lies, but told the most lies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom