Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which old game is going to get raped next?

Which old game is going to get raped next?

• Elite

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wing Commander

• Arcanum

• Lands of Lore

• Baldur's Gate

• Planescape: Torment

• (Heroes of)/ Might and Magic

• Ultima

• Thief

• Wizardy

• Total voters

ricolikesrice

Arcane
well i wont be suprised if the new mechwarrior game turns out to be a corridor shooter in mechs. 8-9 scripted missions with a playtime totalling 4 hours, add another 2 hours of fully voiced (by famous people) cutscenes making the epic, grim story an immersive, cinematic masterpiece.

you ll occasionaly be able to swap weapons though, so the spirit of mechwarrior is of course still alive and kicking and the game will be hyped and praised for its great customization options which will be further enhanced by DLC where you can buy cool clan and innersphere logos + paintjobs.

Joghurt

Augur
I'm pretty sure EA is gonna make a new Ultima game at some point. I'm not saying it's gonna be soon, but it's gonna happen at some point because Ultima was a pretty huge IP back then.

Nickless

Educated
Likewise, Baldur's Gate has already been defiled...

Foto+Baldurs+Gate:+Dark+Alliance.jpg

Baldurs_Gate_Dark_Alliance_2_pal-front.jpg

denizsi

Arcane
I have that^ game. I've bought it boxed in a sort of a pc world convention in 1997 and only because it was somehow dirt cheap and had the name Wizardry on it. It's a poor adventure spin off with minor RPG elements, so not significant enough to constitute RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
SCO's talk about Thief FM's

While it's true that several Thief Fan Missions manage to surpass the original missions found in the Thief games, the truth is that the list is far shorter than people think. Looking at the list SCO provided, for example, I would dismiss somewhere between half of it to 2/3ds of it.

It's also heavily influenced by sycophants who'll happily ignore major design flaws in favour of making FM designers feel good about their work, no matter how bad(ly flawed) it is. For a good example of this, check out a recently released FM, King's Story. Not even the beta-testers could complete it without consulting the author for clues.

If I were to name some good FM's, I would name:

Ominous Bequest
The Seven Sisters
Deceptive Perception (both parts)
Saturio Returns Home
The Tower
Disorientation
Thieves Highway
Undead Reckoning
The Burrick's Head Inn
A Night In Rocksbourg series (3 of them so far, 4th in production)
The CoSaS missions (Gathering At The Inn and Mission X)

SCO also mentioned Rose Cottage. While it looks gorgeous and has a lot of things going for it, gameplay is not one of them. It's nothing more than a creepy keyhunt (and cardhunt) and you have no real weapons to deal with what few enemies you encounter. It's no Shalebridge Cradle, but it's one of the few FM's that gets somewhat close to it.

Lingwe

Liturgist
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/63318

The shooter named simply 'XCOM' is being made for PC and Xbox 360, though no release date is yet known. While many fans of the turn-based tactical series are upset about it becoming an FPS, 2K assures that "the Canberra, Australia arm of 2K Marin" will "true to the roots of the franchise" as they "re-imagine and expand the rich lore."

That some horrendous copy editing they have there.

'2K assures that "the Canberra'
'will "true to the roots'

Oh and yeah sure. How exactly do you 'remain true to the roots of the franchise' while simulatenously 're-imagining the lore' while turning a tactical game into an FPS?

I mean even Fallout 3 was at least an RPG*, the things they changed were the combat and camera. But changing it from a tactical game to a shooter? I mean...is there a special word for when a game is raped twice by two seperate companies almost 10 years apart?

*Bethesda version

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Silellak said:
Technically, Ultima shot itself before it could get raped. Any rape that has occurred since is really just necrophilia.
I'd argue it had already shot itself with Ultima 8. 9 just buried the poor mutilated corpse. You could see it as rape anyway if you consider that the big decline of Ultima started the minute EA bought them off. Black Gate was EA-free and was superb. Serpent Isle started before the buyout so had great elements but was missing half the end game due to EA rushing it. Then U8 was EA from the start and a decline all the way through.

tarkin said:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?newsbit=14803

durr hurr
M&M was raped long, long ago. Crusaders was probably the frst rape, followed by the HOMM4 expansions, MM9, and then the new world Ubisoft created for it with the fucking pointless references to "please the fans".

Joghurt

Augur
M&M was raped long, long ago. Crusaders was probably the frst rape, followed by the HOMM4 expansions, MM9, and then the new world Ubisoft created for it with the fucking pointless references to "please the fans".

Don't forget the Legends of Counter-Strike and Magic. Never played it but people say it's beyond terrible. Anyone tried it ?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Sceptic said:
I'd argue it had already shot itself with Ultima 8. 9 just buried the poor mutilated corpse. You could see it as rape anyway if you consider that the big decline of Ultima started the minute EA bought them off. Black Gate was EA-free and was superb. Serpent Isle started before the buyout so had great elements but was missing half the end game due to EA rushing it. Then U8 was EA from the start and a decline all the way through.

Thanks, I had always wondered what happened between 7 and 8. So Origin was sold to EA you say? Unbelievable that in 1994 they had some of the best games of all time (Ultima Underworld 1+2, Ultima VII + Serpent Isle) and two years later and onwards they released nothing but crap upon crap.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
GlobalExplorer said:
Thanks, I had always wondered what happened between 7 and 8. So Origin was sold to EA you say? Unbelievable that in 1994 they had some of the best games of all time (Ultima Underworld 1+2, Ultima VII + Serpent Isle) and two years later and onwards they released nothing but crap upon crap.
The games you listed were all pre-1994 actually. U7 and UW1 are 1992, UW2 and SI are 1993. The buyout happened at the end of 1992, so all good 1992 games were already released and all 1993 games were already underway. They still managed to release some fantastic games even after the buyout (WC3-4) but you could definitely see the hand of EA in there as early as 1994. And it only got worse from there.

Joghurt said:
Don't forget the Legends of Counter-Strike and Magic. Never played it but people say it's beyond terrible. Anyone tried it ?
Never tried it but never heard anything good about it either. By that point I was no longer willing to touch any M&M game that didn't involve JVC, and towards the end of NWC I was't even willing to do that anymore.

Phelot

Arcane
Sceptic said:
GlobalExplorer said:
The games you listed were all pre-1994 actually. U7 and UW1 are 1992, UW2 and SI are 1993. The buyout happened at the end of 1992, so all good 1992 games were already released and all 1993 games were already underway. They still managed to release some fantastic games even after the buyout (WC3-4) but you could definitely see the hand of EA in there as early as 1994. And it only got worse from there.

Though it is tough to say if Origin would have survived for long anyway. They were apparently notoriously slow in developing games, always near the edge of bankruptcy, and not to mention EA doing their dirty tactics to undermine their competition. It seems the only reason Origin survived on its own for so long was due to their games being so great though I don't think they sold very well at the time.

U8 reeked of EA meddling, though I still found it enjoyable if it's not looked at as being an Ultima game. Perhaps more of an Ultima "nightmare" I felt alone playing the game, it was gloomy and no one likes the avatar. It was quite the shock after playing in Brittania for so long (though I suppose SI was also a shock)

I liked the cemetery and general gothic dark feel of it.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
true dat, it was 1992, 1993 that I played these games.

then more 94, 95-ish I can remember very well how a friend and me were playing U8 for the first (and as it turned out last) time (which we had been looking forward to immensely), and I can hardly remember a bigger
:rage:
moment in my entire gaming life.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Alexandros said:
Straightforward question. Next-gen developers have made it their mission to rape every single great game of the past by creating XTREME re-imaginings. Which one will be next?

why isn't Wasteland on this list?

Joghurt

Augur
TwinkieGorilla said:
Alexandros said:
Straightforward question. Next-gen developers have made it their mission to rape every single great game of the past by creating XTREME re-imaginings. Which one will be next?

why isn't Wasteland on this list?

I remember reading somewhere that someone is already working on it...

Found something

While on June 21, 2007, Brian Fargo said, "I am indeed looking into bringing back the game that spawned the Fallout series. Stay tuned...." in an interview with fan site Duck and Cover[2], no new official Wasteland 2 information has surfaced since then. In March 2009 it was announced that Fallout creator Jason Anderson will work at InXile as a creative director on a new role playing game which might be Wasteland 2.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Joghurt said:
I remember reading somewhere that someone is already working on it...

Found something

are you willfully missing the point of my statement?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom