Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which programming language did you choose and why?

Viata

Arcane
how the actual hardware and the OS works
I just want to point out that this is not exactly true, C doesn't teach you how the hardware works[1]. Learning C, however, does help understanding call stack, and the difference between heap, static, and stack frame memory, so it has its advantages.
You want to know how the hardware really works? Learn Assembly and digital circuits.

[1] https://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=3212479

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I just want to point out that this is not exactly true, C doesn't teach you how the hardware works[1].

Yeah, what you say is accurate, and when I typed that out I was thinking my wording might be a bit sloppy, but eh... I guess my point was learning C gets you a bit closer to understanding what really goes on under the hood, especially because you really need to understand how stuff is laid out in memory, and if you write anything of significance in C, sooner or later you must interact with low-level OS APIs which can be also very educational. But yeah, it won't really teach you about the hardware per se, but gets you a step (a significant one, IMO) closer.

I just want to point out that this is not exactly true, C doesn't teach you how the hardware works[1]. Learning C, however, does help understanding call stack, and the difference between heap, static, and stack frame memory, so it has its advantages.
You want to know how the hardware really works? Learn Assembly and digital circuits.

Isn't this a pretty simple concept you can grasp in a few moments of concentration? You hardly need experience with a language to comprehend the differences between O/S concepts of 3 types of memory.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Your claim that Java is slow is simply not true. Java is among the fastest JIT based languages. C/C++ are faster in some applications, mostly number crunching, but typically by not more 30%. Then again, Python is 2 orders of magnitude slower than C++ or Java in number crunching applications.

True story, and what Arbiter said very precisely aligns with my own pure number cruching bechmarks I conducted a while ago (ray-triangle intersection calculations for a hobby raytracer).

https://blog.johnnovak.net/2017/04/22/nim-performance-tuning-for-the-uninitiated/#jit-warmup

As you can see, the dead simple, straighforward and "naive" Java implementation gets you about 70% of the performance of the native C++ code (but JIT warmup is a factor). What really surprised me was that JavaScript wasn't lagging much behind at all -- even when running the benchmarks *inside the fucking browser!* That's impressive in itself. The PyPy version (which uses a JIT compiler) could go up to 20% of the speed of the C++ code. That's not that horrible, but I noted somewhere in the article that with regular CPython I could only reach around ~0.004% of the C++ code, which is a bad joke...

Nim, of course, was on par with C++. And if you start vectorising things (which is not possible in Java) you could easily get a 3-4x speed bump in C++.

(In the article I said Python was one of my favourite languages. Well, I wrote that 5 years ago; since then I've seen the light...)

EDIT: You can see the relative performances clearly in this other table:

perf.png

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane

Isn't this a pretty simple concept you can grasp in a few moments of concentration? You hardly need experience with a language to comprehend the differences between O/S concepts of 3 types of memory.
While this is true, you hardly need experience in a computer to know that better optimization leads to fast software, yet we have a lot of webdevs that think you should just buy more memory instead of fixing their shit. So I guess it's better to have people forced to learn something than hope they will take a few moments of concentration to grasp something.

And it's 4th on TIOBE Index for no reason.

At this point I'm assuming you are just trolling.

You keep bringing up this TIOBE index, of which I've never heard about before, so ok, I took the bait and looked at it. So let's see, C is #2, Visual Basic at #6 is ahead of JavaScript at #7, and Assembly Language is ahead of SQL and just behind JavaScript. Who is trolling now?

Like do you seriously believe there are more jobs for C and Visual Basic and Assembly programmers today than for JavaScript?

Business applications are typically hosted in cloud and therefore hosting costs are proportional to resource consumption. Simple business apps are constrained by database performance so the choice of programming language may not be significant in many cases. As soon as you need to do anything more complex than storing and querying data in a DB, the choice of programming language directly translates to hosting costs. This will only get worse with increasing energy costs. And Python is the slowest mainstream language.

There are also studies indicating that website response time has direct impact on user retention (for example Google experimenting with the number of results in a single page, which in turn had impact on processing time).

You are missing my point. Python may be slower than some other languages in terms of performance, but when running on modern hardware, this difference is miniscule, and most noticeable slow-downs and performance issues stem from badly written code and algorithms rather than the language. On the flip side, Python lets programmers be highly productive and produce programs at a high clip, and programmers are the most expensive resource in development. So less programmer man-hours (higher productivity) will always win out financially over slightly higher hardware costs, which is exactly why you see so many high end startups and hi tech companies use Python.

And if you claim that Python is not good for large projects, I would just list some of the behemoth applications out there using it as the main language (possibly with inserts from other languages where needed): Instagram, Quora, Youtube, DropBox, Pinterest, Spotify, Uber, Reddit, Netflix, Instacart, etc.

According to this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_languages_used_in_most_popular_websites Python is rarely used as the primary language. It is more suitable for glue code.

Pintereset, Quora etc. were startups with millions of funding, they could afford not to care about performance.

Lol, ok, so first you quote some wiki page to suggest Python is not even used (despite the companies themselves saying it was), then refute yourself by saying it was actually used by companies with the most funding. Umm... ok.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You are missing my point. Python may be slower than some other languages in terms of performance, but when running on modern hardware, this difference is miniscule, and most noticeable slow-downs and performance issues stem from badly written code and algorithms rather than the language.

Bro, check out my post above with actual benchmarks that you so conveniently seem to totally ignore. You say Python "may be slower" and "difference is miniscule" -- it is *dog slow*, one of the slowest general purpose languages (maybe even slower than Ruby) and the difference is *not* minuscule!

and most noticeable slow-downs and performance issues stem from badly written code and algorithms rather than the language.

Please, check out that benchmark above. The CPython version runs at 0.004% of the performance of the C++/Nim version. I have the code in a GitHub repo, play around with the Python version if you want, and if you can optimise my "badly written code and algorithm" to say, reach just 10% percent of the C++ version while you retain the same functinality (I'm not even setting the bar high here), I'll buy you a Ferrari!

You seem to be repeating the "optimise the algorithm" mantra, which is not untrue, but it can lead to false thinking, like in your case. The algorithm I'm using is *already* optimal, but the choice of *language* accounts for the ~250-fold difference in performance (it's the exact same algorithm!) This is where the whole "optimise the algorithm" becomes a fallacy, while ironically it's a true statement at its core. You can achieve 2-50x speedups even when optimising C++ code *purely at the code level* (!) if you know what you're doing, while the algorithm is completely unchanged. Then certain types of optimisations are just not possible in Python or similar dynamic languages, therefore 100-200 fold speedups are expected and quite unsuprising when porting calculation intensive stuff from Python to something else.

On the flip side, Python lets programmers be highly productive and produce programs at a high clip, and programmers are the most expensive resource in development. So less programmer man-hours (higher productivity) will always win out financially over slightly higher hardware costs, which is exactly why you see so many high end startups and hi tech companies use Python.

That's true and I agree with that general idea, but it still doesn't make Python a good choice. Maybe in web development where you're not doing anything performance intensive Python is okay because the network and the database is the bottleneck. But if you start doing anything more performance intensive, say a chat server with a few millions of online users, or some high performance web server with high concurrency, things start falling apart. You're really painting yourselves into a corner with Python -- Kotlin or Scala would be much more of a "sweet spot" general programming language that strike a good balance between developer productivity and raw performance. And that's the main reason why sensible people choose JVM technology over Python, Ruby or similar stuff for backend web development work.

Like I said, Python is (or rather was, as there are better options now) an okay glue language; you can get the job done with it, and if you haven't experienced nicer functional languages, you don't really know what you're missing. E.g. Blender uses it as a glue language for the UI, it's alright for that purpose, the performance doesn't matter too much in that scenario. Most likely when they picked a scripting language 20 years ago Python seemed like a good idea; they would very likely choose something else today, but I guess there's not much benefit in switching if it does the job fine (and the requirements for a UI glue langauge are quite low, to be honest, so who cares... might as well use Python).

Another area where Python is still relevant today is shell scripting and various command line tools. Performance is a non-issue for those, Python is usually available by default on every Linux distro, and those scripts are not too long, so it's okay. E.g. the AWS CLI tools are written Python, it's okay for those kinds of smallish cross-platform command line utilities.

Anyway, I'm not trying to "convince" you; clearly you love the language, and you seem to be working on projects where its (many) limitations are not a problem for you. I'm posting this mostly for the benefit of others in the forum who are getting into programming or are unsure what language to pick next.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Lol, ok, so first you quote some wiki page to suggest Python is not even used (despite the companies themselves saying it was), then refute yourself by saying it was actually used by companies with the most funding. Umm... ok.

It's actually not a contradiction at all, and note the emphasis I made in your statement. What happens quite often is that some guys have an idea for some website or web service, then hack something quickly together in Python, Ruby, NodeJS or whatever. 99% of these companies die within a year or two, but the 1% that survives and gets really popular, well, they'll start experiencing scaling and performance issues as the traffic of their website grows. So time to re-architecture things from the ground up; this is when the original "founder code" written in Ruby, Python, etc. gets tossed in the trash, and everything gets rewritten in Java/Scala/Kotlin or whatever else that is much more robust.

Source: I've worked at one such place that made the Ruby -> Scala transition (because of performance and maintainability issues). To be fair, it's almost always not just about rewriting the same thing in a different language, but also re-architecting the whole system group the ground up. But it's certainly true that sloppy languages lead to sloppy practices.

Krice

Arcane
Developer
You are missing my point. Python may be slower than some other languages in terms of performance, but when running on modern hardware, this difference is miniscule

This isn't true for many types of programs, most notably games. I don't actually know where people get this "modern computers are fast" meme, but it just isn't true. It's easy to do something like write a slow algorithm that totally destroys the cpu, well at least one of the cores.

kepler

Novice
You keep bringing up this TIOBE index, of which I've never heard about before, so ok, I took the bait and looked at it. So let's see, C is #2, Visual Basic at #6 is ahead of JavaScript at #7, and Assembly Language is ahead of SQL and just behind JavaScript. Who is trolling now?

Like do you seriously believe there are more jobs for C and Visual Basic and Assembly programmers today than for JavaScript?

I don't have to believe in anything because there is such thing as TIOBE Index where I can check their methodology of scoring and decide if such source is legit or not. And IMHO it's legit. C and ASM being more popular then JS is the most obvious one, thanks to IoT alone, embedded systems, hardware drivers and such. I have no clue who is using VB, I'm not going to theorize on it.

Maybe there are no jobs in your area for these languages, but your area is not a whole world. Don't be ignorant.

Last edited:

kepler

Novice
Man, I can't wait for the day WebAssembly starts replacing JavaScript for things. No more learning JavaScript, just use your serverside language in place of it, that shit will all get recompiled to WebAssembly anyway.
Getting rid of Flash was one of the best things that ever happened to the internet, and since then I've dreamt of a JavaScript-less world. It is a beautiful dream.

I look forwards to a wonderful future where I will be able to make a site without ever touching JavaScript.

This will only encourage big tech to throw even heavier stuff into browsers and cloud.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Am I understanding it right that strictly speaking the majority of jobs for Java programmers is of in-office type, since it is so much adored by corpos, while a Python programmer has more opportunities to get a remote job?

Arbiter

Scholar
And if you claim that Python is not good for large projects, I would just list some of the behemoth applications out there using it as the main language (possibly with inserts from other languages where needed): Instagram, Quora, Youtube, DropBox, Pinterest, Spotify, Uber, Reddit, Netflix, Instacart, etc.

According to this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_languages_used_in_most_popular_websites Python is rarely used as the primary language. It is more suitable for glue code.

Pintereset, Quora etc. were startups with millions of funding, they could afford not to care about performance.

According to that page Pinterest is the only one that uses Python almost exclusively. Other websites use a combination of several languages and therefore Python is likely used as a glue code, the only thing it is capable of.

Quora is not mentioned in that page at all. I never said it does not use Python, because it is widely known that it does.

Uber is known to be an early adopter of Node.js and later Go. What is your basis for claiming that Uber uses Python?

kepler

Novice
Am I understanding it right that strictly speaking the majority of jobs for Java programmers is of in-office type, since it is so much adored by corpos, while a Python programmer has more opportunities to get a remote job?

There is no rule. It's based more on how said company operates internally. After covid tons of companies moved to remote or almost remote to the point where office job is a rarity. At least in Poland.

One thing I've observed is that I can always tell a game written on a VM language, its always got that lag, and GC stutter. Something in a lower level language and theres no denying how smooth it performs.
While business applications are a completely different rule book, when it comes to games theres just no getting around that C/C++ games are better, if not necessary.

You are missing my point. Python may be slower than some other languages in terms of performance, but when running on modern hardware, this difference is miniscule, and most noticeable slow-downs and performance issues stem from badly written code and algorithms rather than the language.

Bro, check out my post above with actual benchmarks that you so conveniently seem to totally ignore. You say Python "may be slower" and "difference is miniscule" -- it is *dog slow*, one of the slowest general purpose languages (maybe even slower than Ruby) and the difference is *not* minuscule!

These benchmarks mean nothing without context. As a simple analogy, a Lamborghini might be 3 times faster than the average car, but police departments everywhere except Dubai might be totally ok with having Dodge Chargers or whatever as their highway cruiser, because a Charger is good enough to run down 99% of civilian cars. Same thing here, it doesn't matter how much faster C is than Python, Python is still good enough performance-wise (if coded intelligently) for the vast majority of real world business applications. If you happen to run across the few applications that this is not good enough for, you can always swap out Python in the critical code segments for another language (easily integratable with Python), or just use a different language completely.

and most noticeable slow-downs and performance issues stem from badly written code and algorithms rather than the language.

Please, check out that benchmark above. The CPython version runs at 0.004% of the performance of the C++/Nim version. I have the code in a GitHub repo, play around with the Python version if you want, and if you can optimise my "badly written code and algorithm" to say, reach just 10% percent of the C++ version while you retain the same functinality (I'm not even setting the bar high here), I'll buy you a Ferrari!

You seem to be repeating the "optimise the algorithm" mantra, which is not untrue, but it can lead to false thinking, like in your case. The algorithm I'm using is *already* optimal, but the choice of *language* accounts for the ~250-fold difference in performance (it's the exact same algorithm!) This is where the whole "optimise the algorithm" becomes a fallacy, while ironically it's a true statement at its core. You can achieve 2-50x speedups even when optimising C++ code *purely at the code level* (!) if you know what you're doing, while the algorithm is completely unchanged. Then certain types of optimisations are just not possible in Python or similar dynamic languages, therefore 100-200 fold speedups are expected and quite unsuprising when porting calculation intensive stuff from Python to something else.

This has nothing to do with the argument at hand. It's like gamers running benchmarks to test their hardware to its limit, then going back to play Minecraft, Battle Brothers, Unity games, and ASCII Roguelikes on it. Most business applications do not require these optimizations that you are talking about, so it's fairly irrelevant to most programming jobs. Obviously if you work in a field that needs those kinds of optimizations, you should choose a language that works well with them.

On the flip side, Python lets programmers be highly productive and produce programs at a high clip, and programmers are the most expensive resource in development. So less programmer man-hours (higher productivity) will always win out financially over slightly higher hardware costs, which is exactly why you see so many high end startups and hi tech companies use Python.

That's true and I agree with that general idea, but it still doesn't make Python a good choice. Maybe in web development where you're not doing anything performance intensive Python is okay because the network and the database is the bottleneck. But if you start doing anything more performance intensive, say a chat server with a few millions of online users, or some high performance web server with high concurrency, things start falling apart.

Have Intagram and Pinterest and Netflix fallen apart?

Like I said, Python is (or rather was, as there are better options now) an okay glue language;

I don't even understand what you mean by glue language. All main programming languages are glue languages in modern software: in a typical system you might have business logic in the main programming language, DB related stuff in SQL or an equivalent, front-end UI stuff in JavaScript, some other specialized language for a niche area like AI, etc. So the main language will always be the glue that connects these different parts of the system.

It's actually not a contradiction at all, and note the emphasis I made in your statement. What happens quite often is that some guys have an idea for some website or web service, then hack something quickly together in Python, Ruby, NodeJS or whatever. 99% of these companies die within a year or two, but the 1% that survives and gets really popular, well, they'll start experiencing scaling and performance issues as the traffic of their website grows. So time to re-architecture things from the ground up; this is when the original "founder code" written in Ruby, Python, etc. gets tossed in the trash, and everything gets rewritten in Java/Scala/Kotlin or whatever else that is much more robust.

Source: I've worked at one such place that made the Ruby -> Scala transition (because of performance and maintainability issues). To be fair, it's almost always not just about rewriting the same thing in a different language, but also re-architecting the whole system group the ground up. But it's certainly true that sloppy languages lead to sloppy practices.

I think you are looking at it from your own biased view. You believe that the switch was made due to performance issues with Python or because it doesn't scale. I, on the other hand, believe what happens in these cases (which are not guaranteed btw, some companies continue running on Python just fine at huge scale, see my examples before) is that as the company grows significantly, they have to increase their programming corps by a large degree. So they go from a few brilliant programmers to large teams of average/young/outsourced programmers. And with the latter, as I stated before, you definitely want a stricter, more idiot-proof language like Java/C#.

You are missing my point. Python may be slower than some other languages in terms of performance, but when running on modern hardware, this difference is miniscule

This isn't true for many types of programs, most notably games. I don't actually know where people get this "modern computers are fast" meme, but it just isn't true. It's easy to do something like write a slow algorithm that totally destroys the cpu, well at least one of the cores.

1. You are conflating algorithm slow with language slow. Two completely different things. Language related performance is generally not a big deal today because it just adds some additional overhead to running code. For example, compiled languages like C++ are compiled into 0s and 1s, and that is what's run on the computer. So the code runs natively and fairly quickly. Interpreted languages like Python are run as non-native code on a virtual machine called the interpreter, which converts them into 0s and 1s at run-time. Obviously this adds overhead to every instruction, but it's fairly fixed overhead, so when modern hardware can run some obscene number of operations per second, increasing this number by some fixed amount is not a huge deal for most business software.

Bad algorithms or code, on the other hand, can increase the performance hit exponentially, which no hardware will help you with. Things like nested loops, scanning years worth of text logs letter by letter without an index, the n+1 problem in db queries, etc. For large enough sets of data, these kinds of errors can literally increase executions times to cosmic scales.

2. I keep repeating this over and over, most of you are fixated on game programming, but game programming is a small sub-field in the entire field of programming, and the rest of it has much lower needs for performance.

I don't have to believe in anything because there is such thing as TIOBE Index where I can check their methodology of scoring and decide if such source is legit or not. And IMHO it's legit. C and ASM being more popular then JS is the most obvious one, thanks to IoT alone, embedded systems, hardware drivers and such. I have no clue who is using VB, I'm not going to theorize on it.

Maybe there are no jobs in your area for these languages, but your area is not a whole world. Don't be ignorant.

Sorry to break it to you bre, but that index is bs. If you really believe there is more demand for VB and assembly language than JS, I dunno what to tell ya.

According to that page Pinterest is the only one that uses Python almost exclusively. Other websites use a combination of several languages and therefore Python is likely used as a glue code, the only thing it is capable of.

Quora is not mentioned in that page at all. I never said it does not use Python, because it is widely known that it does.

Uber is known to be an early adopter of Node.js and later Go. What is your basis for claiming that Uber uses Python?

All modern system use combinations of languages, so I don't get your point. If by glue code you mean the main programming language that connects all the other languages, ok.

Uber: https://marutitech.com/build-an-app-like-uber/
"What programming language does Uber use?

Uber’s engineers primarily write in Python, Node.js, Go, and Java. They started with two main languages: Node.js for the Marketplace team, and Python for everyone else."

kepler

Novice

Sorry to break it to you bre, but that index is bs. If you really believe there is more demand for VB and assembly language than JS, I dunno what to tell ya.

I checked and VB is getting more popular over the years:

https://www.quora.com/Who-uses-the-Visual-Basic-programming-language

https://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2019/02/12/tiobe-feb-19.aspx

https://www.zdnet.com/article/micro...-its-fifth-most-popular-programming-language/

The language index still reckons Visual Basic .Net will "sooner or later go into decline", but concedes it's popular for dedicated office applications in small and medium enterprises, and is probably still used by many developers because it's easy to learn.

Microsoft is still supporting and developing VB. It's probably the easiest way to make a desktop app in VB on windows then in any other language and that's why it's popular. :shittydog:

You see, I don't have to believe in anything. I just know how to google. Don't be ignorant.

EDIT:

Just to clarify. I'm not claiming that VB is a better career option then any other language. It's not. I just want to show you that you are ignorant and refuse to accept that world is not what you want it to be. There is no such this as the best programming language to conquer them all. More stuff you know, the more jobs you'll get.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just to clarify. I'm not claiming that VB is a better career option then any other language. It's not. I just want to show you that you are ignorant and refuse to accept that world is not what you want it to be. There is no such this as the best programming language to conquer them all. More stuff you know, the more jobs you'll get.

Yeah absolutely, and to be clear, I didn't write what I did to specifically shit on Python, just to address some of the more ludicrous claims ("Python is fast enough", "languages with strict typing are good for outsourcing/retards/junior programmers", and let's not even get into the "idiot-proof" part... what does that even supposed to mean?) Objectively, Python is not a very good language, but it has lots of useful libraries, that's all.

kepler

Novice

Yeah absolutely, and to be clear, I didn't write what I did to specifically shit on Python, just to address some of the more ludicrous claims ("Python is fast enough", "languages with strict typing are good for outsourcing/retards/junior programmers", and let's not even get into the "idiot-proof" part... what does that even supposed to mean?) Objectively, Python is not a very good language, but it has lots of useful libraries, that's all.

Amen brother (I can't brofist yet).

Lol. Classic cars are getting more popular over the years. So if you are thinking of becoming a car mechanic, learn classic cars instead of modern ones. :smug:

You see, I don't have to believe in anything. I just know how to google. Don't be ignorant.

Yes, I can see that Google has been killing people's braincells at high rates. Do you even know how your TIOBE index gets its rankings?

"The index is calculated from the number of search engine results for queries containing the name of the language.[3] The index covers searches in Google, Google Blogs, MSN, Yahoo!, Baidu, Wikipedia and YouTube."

Compared to the good rankings sites that I use, this is next to worthless. While those evaluate the number of job listings in those languages right now (a great ranking system), TIOBE just measures the number of web pages for a particular language. Obviously this rewards older languages over newer ones, more obfuscated languages over elegant and clear ones (since the former would need more guides and tutorials), can miss a language dying (since in many cases web pages can stay up for a long time, even if they are not being used much), and can also reward languages with relatively little real life value but that may be used in teaching curriculums (e.g. assembly or VB).

Cute strawman, no one claimed Python was the best programming language. It's just better than the ones you like. ;)

Hey, the more you say it, the more popular Python is getting, and the more huge companies use it for their massive high performance websites and programs. Keep it up. :lol:

Just google something like "most popular programming languages by job listings", there is a ton of those articles every year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom