Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPG has the best music?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
RPGs I have played with memorable music, in no particular order

Icewind Dale
FFVII
Torment
Morrowind
Ultimas 6-8 + underworlds

Korgan

Arbiter
Morgan's stuff. Arcanum's music somehow wasn't memorable at all for me. Neither was the game, in fact - it had Troika polish, Troika quality assurance and Troika balancing. And Soule couldn't write anything new or memorable if he wanted to now. His career is over, but he refuses to admit it and keeps feeding our ears this same shit. BG2 was the last game where I could tolerate his music.

Black

Arcane
Jasede said:
Realtalk: you're a tasteless faggot or just haven't played enough games if you think Torment's music is the best.

[In before people say Fallout. Why is it that so many confuse "good" with "best" these days? Why has the mediocre become the good? It hurts the Lyric Sweet in my heart.]
Wanna fite?
I'm using my Deionarra's Theme, Main Theme, Fortress of Regrets and Credits Theme Cards. They hit you in the ass and leg for 37 hit points.

Mareus

Magister
1. Baldur's Gate (all of them)
2. Final Fantasy 7
3. Thunderscape
4. Lineage 2
5. Arcanum
6. The Witcher
7. Deus Ex
8. Planescape Torment
9. Icewind Dale
10. Bloodomen: Legacy of Kain

These 10 are most memorable for me, but I could have easily put in more.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Huh. I love Brosius as much as everyone, but Thief doesn't have music per se, just (great) ambient noise.

Don't argue, I just replayed it.

deuxhero

Arcane
Dire Roach said:
The average JRPG soundtrack is much catchier and memorable to me than the standard Jeremy Soule-ish epic orchestrated tracks most western RPGs have. Arcanum is one notable exception, although it becomes ultra-repetitive in-game and I always end up turning it off. FF IV and VI, Chrono Trigger, and Xenogears have some of the best music I remember at the moment.

Indeed, NWN2 was really really bad here, Latin chanting for the effortless group of orcs (not that it really gets more epic then that) really says something about the game.

anyways

1.Deus Ex
2.MoTB

>_> what?

Includeing jRPGs and sRPGs FE4 was pretty good, Light and Dark FTW.

RGE

Liturgist
I listen to the Fallout soundtrack all the time, so I guess that's the RPG music I like the most. "Khans of New California" is my absolute favourite. But I suppose it's all because listening to the music reminds me of the game, so if there wasn't a game attached to the music, I probably wouldn't listen to it. Hard to say, really.

Other RPG music I listen to is the main themes to Torment and Dawn of Magic, which is completely unrelated to any game memories. Not so sure if that also applies to the Diablo soundtrack, which I also listen to on a regular basis.

Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
In no particular order:

- Baldur's Gate (both)
- Icewind Dale
- Planescape Torment
- Starcraft *cough*

Dark Elf

Erudite
Morrowind

Arcanum

Baldur's Gate 2

The Temple of Elemental Evil

Icewind Dale 2

The games below hardly count as RPG's but I felt they deserved a mention as well:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Heroes of Might and Magic

Warlords: Battlecry 2

Warcraft 2

Wyrmlord

Arcane
What do you guys mean, when you say good videogame music? Good music in its own right, or music that fits perfectly with the game?

If the former, then no comment, because I am not a music enthusiast.

If we are going by the latter, then the most recent example I can think is Betrayal At Krondor. I am mainly thinking of that moment when Narab ambushes Owyn and Gorath out of nowhere in the end of Chapter III.

But just to clarify, I mean the music from the Abandonia version. The Underdogs version has a horribly mutilated version of the music and sound. In the Abandonia version, the music has great force, especially with surround sound speakers.

kris

Arcane
The music I heard in Mass effect have been memorable. Probably the best part of the game.
Arcanum is another rpg I remember music from.
special mention to Zelda since I may still end up humming the theme.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, Mass Effect actually had great music.

Anyway, Diablo 1 must definitely be mentioned, simply excellent soundtrack and completely fitting to the game theme.

I heard Might and Magic 6 had a great soundtrack as well, but the music wont work in any of my copies of the game.

Vidder

Liturgist
1. Amberstar/Ambermoon
2. DivDiv
3. The first two games of "The dark eye" (Das schwarze Auge) Trilogy. (CD version of course)

Inziladun

Magister
Say what you will about the Final Fantasies but their music is usually top notch. The only issue being that Nobuo Uematsu now pretty much just remixes every standard FF song for the new addition to the series while occasionally throwing in a couple completely new tracks that sound very familiar to the aforementioned. This is somewhat understandable considering that Uematsu has composed hundreds of songs for the series alone(not even including the stuff he does for his band). But never the less the tunes are usually catchy and easily the best thing that came from the series.

Arcanum had good music, but for some reason it wasn't very memorable for me, beyond the beautiful theme song that is.

Planescape is the same way, good music but not really catchy.

Morrowind had some pretty songs, and it really set the mood for the game nicely. It's just a shame there was only a handful of songs so it got repetitive very quickly. Infact my opinion may be skewed a little bit, because most of the time I played the game was with added music into the folder. So my memory of what was the original game's music is a little shady. But I still love that main-theme, even have a full guitar version which is top notch.

spiwak

Novice
Oh, the usuals. Fallouts, PS:T, I'm really digging the Arcanum soundtrack.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bloodlines. Not the licensed stuff, but I remember really loving some of the actual score. Except the title/main menu theme was kind of a rip-off of Massive Attack.

nomask7

Arcane
Zelda II or Diablo or A Link to the Past. A bit more RPGy: Gothic 3. The cello stuff in Nordmar is pretty good. You can't find better music than pretty good in games. This is great music.

bgillisp

Scholar
Raapys said:
Yeah, Mass Effect actually had great music.

Anyway, Diablo 1 must definitely be mentioned, simply excellent soundtrack and completely fitting to the game theme.

I heard Might and Magic 6 had a great soundtrack as well, but the music wont work in any of my copies of the game.

The MM6 music comes right off the CD, you should be able to play it directly if you put it in a CD player and start at track 2 (track 1 is the data files). At least that is how my copy of it works.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom