Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPG should I introduce my son to?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
My first thought was Fallout 1 or Baldurs Gate 1.

Truth be told, those are the kinds of cRPGs I first was exposed to. Technically it was BG2, but still part of the same era.

What cRPG would you want to first experience?

Falksi

Arcane
BG1's a good place to start, better than FO1 in my opinion as Minsc's sillyness is a bit more childish.

I think the early Spiderweb games such as Escape from the Pit are a good place to start too. Nicely balanced.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Whew. This could be a big decision. My first RPG was a shareware copy of Exile: Escape from the Pit. I played the hell out of it, and it feels like every RPG I play nowadays is an attempt to relive that first experience. It shaped my tastes in RPGs.

nightmaar

Novice
Imagine that your friends are playing Fortnite and your papa is forcing you to play Fallout 1. If your goal is to make him autistic, then go for it.

Divine Blessing

Scholar
maybe some detailed info on your sons pre-requisites like age and preferences would help for a more bespoke recommendation.

example: is he more into action, spread sheets or does his age allow exclusively for clicks? cuz hfgl eli5 Pathfinder.
does he like dark or bright settings etc.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Perhaps my anti-Infinity Engine bias is showing through, but I don't think Baldur's Gate is a good fit. Even if you're playing alongside him, chances are he's not going to understand what the hell is going on in that game. You kind of want something that the kid is actually going to wrap his head around. Most of the games that are beloved around here are not those. I can't really think of any good ones that would be more action oriented, maybe Might and Magic: World of Xeen, but I think the more strategy focused have some better options. I was actually going to suggest one of the Exile games myself, but I got beaten to that punch. How about Heroes of Might and Magic 3? Its more of a strategy game, but its got an enduring appeal and its fairly easy to pick up.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
maybe some detailed info on your sons pre-requisites like age and preferences would help for a more bespoke recommendation.

example: is he more into action, spread sheets or does his age allow exclusively for clicks? cuz hfgl eli5 Pathfinder.

He's 2 years old and likes Mario and cars.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Planescape: Torment so one of two things will happen:

1. He learns to hate reading and will drop out of school to be a fortnite streamer

or

2. transform instantly into a giga-chad, start reading at a 12th-grade level and start posting on codex about how much his generation sucks

Eisen

Learned

Please, you don't want to rot his brains with RPGs

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Just keep him away from Oblivion/Skyrim and Fallout 3 as well as anything made by BioWare after Dragon's Age 1 and he should be fine.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Just keep him away from Oblivion/Skyrim and Fallout 3 as well as anything made by BioWare after Dragon's Age 1 and he should be fine.

By the time he grows up, those will be considered "classics." At least nobody will remember ME Andromeda.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
At that age any serious RPG you'll give him will be completely forgotten soon enough. Do you remember anything of value from when you were 2? Frankly, I'd suggest something like a Hot Wheels game. If you're dead set on a RPG, I guess I suggest Jiji and the Mysterious Forest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom