Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why are so many Codexers like this?

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
You don't own anything digital goyim, you will own nothing and will be happy. Now get back to the pod, your order of bugs will be there soon.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well, as most things in life, piracy is not as black and white as many people seem to believe it is. Companies such as Adobe and Microsoft have benefited *obscenely* from piracy; it's one of the big reasons for their absolute dominance. Maybe there was a point in time when they genuinely thought piracy was hurting them, but the more cunning business people among their ranks must have quickly realised that they should only put up some half-hearted anti-piracy attempts as a facade, just to scare actual companies into buying their products, because it's really not in their interest to stop the "pirates" *completely*. Microsoft would have never achieved total platform dominance in the 90s among home users if they had been serious about "anti-piracy" (the serial number based "protection" mechanism is a total joke). Then consider all the kids using warezed versions of Photoshop during their teenage years; what do you think they started using professionally when they eventually had to buy something legally at their first job? This Quora comment sums it up very well.

Maybe the situation was a little bit different with games decades ago, but don't forget that most people would buy only a very small fraction of the games they would otherwise pirate. Then, as many have pointed out, in most non-Western countries (practically the entire Eastern Block in Europe, Brazil, Russia, India, China, etc.) the question of piracy before the mid-90s is quite philosophical: that was the only way of getting your hands on *any* game, and copyright and intellectual property laws were some kind of a novelty in those countries in the literal sense of the word; nobody even fully understood how they worked in the early 90s when they were introduced.

If a modern game released today is also released for the consoles, rest assured that you will hurt no one by downloading the cracked PC version -- especially if you would never have bought it at full price anyway. Do some basic research on the number of console vs PC gamers and do the math. For those primarily console games, the revenue from the PC port is basically some extra pocket money.

In a practical sense, it's only in the minuscule, tiny niche markets where your purchases make any real tangible difference these days. For that reason, I'm buying all Iron Tower Studios games, and I was a funder for the first Grimrock game and for Stasis, among a few others. I generally buy games and software products when I know for a fact that there's only a single individual or a handful or people behind them who are clearly not in it for the money, primarily. For the rest, especially if there's any sort of DRM involved (I despise Steam and similar services), I just get the "DRM-liberated" version with zero remorse.

I also find it perplexing when people buy old games on GOG or Steam. First of all, you're not supporting the original creators one bit; the money goes to the platform and the current right holders (the original dev company or even the publisher might be gone for a long time). Secondly, usually they do a very shoddy job; they release bad versions or ports, screw up the DOSBox configs, and many times they themselves just use some scene cracks (e.g. some non-trivial No-CD patch that their developers would never ever be able to write in a million years).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Again with the "Muh Piracy"?

Putting aside that none of the games mentioned by OP failed because of piracy I have yet to see any actual proof that piracy ever harmed anyone but I have seen plenty of its obvious benefits. Take the anime industry that in recent years became mainstream worldwide and just one fucking manga was enough to outsell the entire american comic book industry. If the effects of piracy were even remotely as negative as many report it should be the exact reverse since up until recently over 90% of everything manga and anime related was almost exclusively distributed by pirates. Not long ago when searching for anime streaming on google the first result would be kissanime. Manga was no better and the first result was again some piracy site filled with fan translations.
Yet, here we are in 2022 where demon slayer is being played in cinemas and is considered mainstream by normalfags. Compare that to 2008 where even a behemoth like Pokemon was seen as a weird niche outlier and ask yourself: If pirates could kill or hinder anything how the fuck can a medium that for the better part of the last two decades was promulgated almost exclusively through piracy make any money let alone thrive?!

I find your knowledge of anime and manga disturbing.

Harthwain

Magister
I think this is a bit more complex:

Why is it more financially viable to make popamoles for the masses?

Volume. Since it takes a lot of people (and money) to develop AAA games with 3D and all that stuff, you need to sell more in order to profit.

Is piracy the reason why "real RPG developers" died?

Had piracy been the real problem, you wouldn't sell enough anyway, including the popamoles. So, are you really not selling enough because of piracy, or aren't your games selling for some other reason? And the bit about the developers being dead isn't true anyways: people who were part of these old studios were making games later on (some even worked on sequels, spiritual or otherwise!). However, their track record isn't as stellar as the notability of the classics would suggest.

Now, we've established it takes a lot of people and money to develop AAA games. But what if we don't go that route and instead make something indie? Just a few developers, capable of making a game without all the visual bells and whistles? In fact, I'd argue that's how the games were made in the past, and it is the main reason why indies tend to be more interesting. In this instance you do not need to sell to the masses. All you need is carve out a stable niche, which is easier than trying to compete with some giants who have way more money and people than you anyway. And if your game is good, people are going to buy it and play it. Look at Battle Brothers, for example. In fact, this is one of the very few games I bought a Supporter Edition - simply to support developers like that.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
This might be the time to explain how in the 90's my uncle gave me pirated copies of the first two Fallout games.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Actual good old game releases on gog were never particularly good when it comes to running out of the "box". And they are still patching them from time to time with some genuine improvements, it's just obviously not a huge priority for them atm. And there are still quite a lot of games there that are stated to work on different versions of Windows when they absolutely don't.
Windows 10 is not a useful system for people who enjoy old games, that is, good games. Windows 10 only runs popamole.

Games like M&M VI~VIII, VtMB, etc are by my experience easier to run in Linux with PlayOnLinux + Wine than in M$ rWindows 10.

e.g., Total War: Warhammer released without denuvo, the sequel released with denuvo. The sequel has a peak playercount ~30k less than the first title.

I suspect the overlap between "people who pirate games" and "people who would buy games [if they couldn't pirate it]" is actually much smaller than people think.

The tendency is that a sequel will sell more than the current game. DOS2 sold more than DOS1. PF:WoTR sold more than PF:KM and I"m sure that KoTC2 will sell more than KoTC1.

My knowledge of hentai and eroge is far more extensive than that of anime and manga.

How many tentacle warlock can you name? hu3hu3hu3

------

Anyway, many people are not considering that in 90s/00s, was common to NOT have a game available globally. Also, Gothic 2 was massively pirated in Poland and is probably the most popular RPG there.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
RPG Codex has a Slav problem.

Wrong. Central and Eastern Europeans are producing amazing games(pf:km, kdc, etc) and amazing mods(ret for g2 for eg) while westerners only produce shirt like Diablo 3. DOS2 and etc.

I don't think you understand. Temple of Elemental Evil? Exile 3? Knights of the Chalice? Betrayal at Krondor? Any entry in the Ultima, Wizardry, or Might and Magic series? Apparently all these games are shit compared to Twitcher 3, the poster boy of AAA mainstream trash. You know where Skyrim, the other poster boy of AAA mainstream trash, ranked? It didn't even break the top 100. You know why? Because it wasn't produced in some second world shit hole. Go to any other site, and those two games are nearly always ranked side-by-side. If you can't see that obvious Slav bias, you're a fucking shill.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Witcher 3 has a shitload of fans around the whole globe, it's not just slavs who are to blame.
But ones that don't equally love Skyrim?
i think Skyrim's popularity is a bit overrated by the codex.
Yes, Skyrim has a lot of fans, but at the same time most of them are aware of skyrim's shortcomings and they wouldn't vote for it as the best RPG ever made.

Skyrim sold over 30 million copies and won numerous GOTY awards. IGN recently called it the 41st greatest game of all time. How can you say it's popularity is overrated?

Explain to me how this forum says The Witcher 3 is the 15th greatest RPG of all time while Skyrim doesn't even place in the top 100. Is Witcher 3 that many magnitudes better than Skyrim? Or is it just that RPG Codex has a Slav problem?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Wrong. Central and Eastern Europeans are producing amazing games(pf:km, kdc, etc) and amazing mods(ret for g2 for eg) while westerners only produce shirt like Diablo 3. DOS2 and etc.

I don't think you understand. Temple of Elemental Evil? Exile 3? Knights of the Chalice? Betrayal at Krondor? Any entry in the Ultima, Wizardry, or Might and Magic series? Apparently all these games are shit compared to Twitcher 3, the poster boy of AAA mainstream trash. You know where Skyrim, the other poster boy of AAA mainstream trash, ranked? It didn't even break the top 100. You know why? Because it wasn't produced in some second world shit hole. Go to any other site, and those two games are nearly always ranked side-by-side. If you can't see that obvious Slav bias, you're a fucking shill.

TW3 is popular worldwide. I disagree with many RPG's in that RPGcodex list but TW3 is far from the worst example. DOS2 is the worst example.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Witcher 3 has a shitload of fans around the whole globe, it's not just slavs who are to blame.
But ones that don't equally love Skyrim?
i think Skyrim's popularity is a bit overrated by the codex.
Yes, Skyrim has a lot of fans, but at the same time most of them are aware of skyrim's shortcomings and they wouldn't vote for it as the best RPG ever made.
Skyrim sold over 30 million copies and won numerous GOTY awards. IGN recently called it the 41st greatest game of all time. How can you say it's popularity is overrated?
its current popularity among normies is overrated. Skyrim was a juggernaut, but that time has passed.

Explain to me how this forum says The Witcher 3 is the 15th greatest RPG of all time while Skyrim doesn't even place in the top 100. Is Witcher 3 that many magnitudes better than Skyrim? Or is it just that RPG Codex has a Slav problem?
- witcher 3 is a more recent game than skyrim
- witcher 3 has better production values, skyrim looked dated and clunky even back in 2011
- witcher 3 has hot women and sex cutscenes, skyrim has none of that
- witcher 3 is a storyfag game, while skyrim's main plot and sidequests suck
- witcher 3 has an awesome-button combat, skyrim's combat is crap both functionally and visually

Obviously fans of high-budget popamole rpgs where you can romance npcs would prefer Witcher 3 over skyrim.

You think so?

Anyway, as Slav Codexers have explained in much detail in this thread, piracy is obviously the best thing ever and leads to great success and innovation in the games industry.

That said, I admit that I pirated Witcher 1, Witcher 2 and Witcher 3. I am so very proud that I was able to help out our Polish friends at CDPR by never giving them even a nickel.

:greatjob:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom