Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why boomer shooters are unpopular

Curratum

metroidvanias
I'm pretty sure metroidvania is quite popular, more so compared to the rest you mentioned.
But how much compared to A/AA/AAA? And there's quite a few 'vania titles that are hardly notable.

Thing is, Hollow Knight has 200,000 reviews on Steam, Dusk has 13,000.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
metroidvanias
I'm pretty sure metroidvania is quite popular, more so compared to the rest you mentioned.
But how much compared to A/AA/AAA? And there's quite a few 'vania titles that are hardly notable.

Thing is, Hollow Knight has 200,000 reviews on Steam, Dusk has 13,000.
Hollow Knight is an outlier though as some of the most notable examples of the genre like Bloodstained and Blasphemous have only a couple of thousand more reviews than Dusk and quite a few like Guacamelee 2 and Strider only have a couple of thousand and a number of them don't even have 1K like Aquaria, MindSeiz,Rex Rocket,etc.

Curratum

Dusk is also the most heavily reviewed and likely best-sellign boomer shooter on Steam too.

StrongBelwas

Cipher
Patron
I feel like the argument in this thread is a bit off because as far as I can tell the games mentioned in it are doing well for their niche, its like asking why Underrail or Age of Decadence are unpopular.
Hedon I could not get past the melee combat and the first hour and a half of the game being a slow, confusing slog. Never played more. The visuals really don't work for me too.
The first section is definitely pretty rough and I don't know what they were thinking making it the first impression, but I feel it improves a lot afterwards. The demo of the game is from about the 3/4th mark and does a much better job of representing the game IMO.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Maybe if most of them weren't complete shit they'd be more popular.

Doom Eternal is objectively better than most of them and that's fucking embarassing. Who are they selling those games to exactly? Actual boomers won't play them 'cause any Doom wad or Quake map is likely to be better. Zoomer coked-up spazz lords who just went through their favored fagtuber ripping through nuDoom like they are fucking rapha playing Quake Live aren't going to be exactly impressed by old school gameplay made easier and with uglier visuals than any actual 90s shooter.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom