Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Why I fell out of love with KOTOR

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I am if the belief that if you played a game a "million times' you forfeit the right to bash or criticize it in any way. KOTOR was and is an ehh game.

Also, NWN was and us awesome. It looked great, sounded great, played great, and it us no doubt one if the best achievements in games ever. This is undisputable fact. PERIOD.

to me NwN 1 is better than KotORs, NwN 2, or Dark age titles such as Witcher / Mass Effect / Dragon Age

Vatnik Wumao
to me NwN 1 is better than KotORs, NwN 2
KotOR 2 > MotB >>> KotOR >>>>>> rest of NwN franchise.

KotOR is a decent game, but it's just vanilla Star Wars. And while it works decently in a cinematic format (including SW games with no C&C in this category), it's just goofy as an RPG. You either play as a cartoon villain or as some silly paragon of justice. And NwN is just vanilla fantasy played safe. Cozy if you're into that sort of thing, but overall just meh. Prefer BG for that sort of thing.

FriendlyMerchant

Bioware games were always at best mediocre where NWN1 was terrible and KOTOR even worse with the steady downhill decline of overrated trash into the bottom of the dumpster. Even BG1 is overrated and BG2 is even more highly overrated.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
NWN is best game ever. Only retarts ever. Out if the Bio games I played, only ME3/4 and DA3 are worse than KOTOR.

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
It is the fault of authors of these characters that they fail to address the bigger picture implied by the lore and the world in which their characters are set: why would a Sith master be angry with his former apprentice if the latter managed to oust him from his position? Doesn't the Sith Code literally say that things like strength, power and victory matter the most? Isn't the one who achieves those things, and removes his master out of the picture, proving by definition to be in possession of qualities for a master himself? Isn't betrayal wholly natural and expected, in fact necessary course of action for every apprentice? Why would a master feel anguish at being bested by his apprentice, doesn't that prove that the master did a good job and has created someone of greater worth to be a Dark Lord?
Simple, really. Every Sith Master wants to remain one forever, so being bitter about losing the status is only natural. Why take an Apprentice at all, then, you ask? The reasons vary. Having a competent minion is convenient. Not taking one is a show of weakness. To quote Palpatine, "A Master without an Apprentice is a Master of nothing."

Likewise, why would a former apprentice, now a master, feel the constant need to babble on about his supposed superiority and how he will, most definitely THIS TIME!, destroy completely once and for all his former master?
In Malak's case, his "victory" over Revan always felt incomplete. He mentions it during the Leviathan confrontation. Indeed, he did not defeat Revan at the height of Revan's power, but when he was weakened by a Jedi strike team. That other Sith questioned these circumstances is, again, only natural.

Kainan

Learned
I tried Kotor 1 the other day and at the start you have two dialogue options that lead to the same outcome? I kept saying how i wont go after Bastila but ended up saying okay bc I couldn't say anything else.

Vatnik Wumao
I tried Kotor 1 the other day and at the start you have two dialogue options that lead to the same outcome? I kept saying how i wont go after Bastila but ended up saying okay bc I couldn't say anything else.
Going after her is part of the main plot.

Radiane

Cipher
Star Wars is just fairy tales for (so called) grown ups. Pfff. Very cringeworthy. Also, don´t forget that the aliens who made this like to milk your hard earned cash. Pure Fail on your side to fall in for that. Besides, the Kotor games are overrated. And no, I won´t read your wall of texts. Better play Avernum next time.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Bioware games were always at best mediocre where NWN1 was terrible and KOTOR even worse with the steady downhill decline of overrated trash into the bottom of the dumpster. Even BG1 is overrated and BG2 is even more highly overrated.
Contrarian history revisionism. "Bioware devs are being gay on Twitter in 2020, therefore Baldur's Gate was bad hurrr durrr"

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I said it already and I will say it again.
KotOR is not the worst game ever. But it might be the most wicked horseman of decline in the history of cRPGs.
Think about it.

And if you still don't see it, buy yourself a fuckin' guide dog.

Barbie

Novice
KOTOR is a game that is not meant to be dissected and disseminated. It is a game meant to be enjoyed for what it is and not for any brilliance, or lack thereof, nor for a thesis to be written about it. It is not a deep game, it is meant to be a timesink of a few days. It is not a game that you are supposed to play again and again, that one is on you. Of course it won't be difficult for you after 40 runs, it's a game aimed as a feel good nostalgia to the OT after the prequel shitshow.

Of course the characters feel shallow and terrible. You are trying to find nuance in a game that was aimed to appeal to the simpler times. A game that is aimed for 13 year Olds to enjoy as well. It is your own fault for being this butthurt at a game that you have invested too much emotion and time in. The game is simple and does great at what it aims at, being a simple feel good throwback. Malak is a decent villain for what he is, storyfag explained this already in a good way so no reason for me to address this more.

Also, Bastila acts like a petulant teenager you say? She is supposed to be 18 or so, she IS A petulant teenager. You seem upset that you put too much value and weight to a game that never delivered the value you assigned to it, and now you are upset it was exactly what it aimed to be and not what you decided it should be.

Harthwain

Magister
Of course the characters feel shallow and terrible. You are trying to find nuance in a game that was aimed to appeal to the simpler times.
Except we have KotOR 2 for contrast. And this shows exactly the difference between Obsidian and BioWare at the time (and the same goes for Fallout 3 vs Fallout: New Vegas).

Malak is a decent villain for what he is
Nah. Malak is shit. Even if you want to justify him with "Star Wars universe is supposed to be like this" you have to look at Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine to see the huge difference. Just see The Force Unleashed, if you want to see a more contemporary attempt and not the one straight up from the Original Trilogy. Then you also have Darth Malgus - another really good take on a competent Sith Lord.

Barbie

Novice
Of course the characters feel shallow and terrible. You are trying to find nuance in a game that was aimed to appeal to the simpler times.
Except we have KotOR 2 for contrast. And this shows exactly the difference between Obsidian and BioWare at the time (and the same goes for Fallout 3 vs Fallout: New Vegas).

Nah. Malak is shit. Even if you want to justify him with "Star Wars universe is supposed to be like this" you have to look at Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine to see the huge difference. Just see The Force Unleashed, if you want to see a more contemporary attempt and not the one straight up from the Original Trilogy. Then you also have Darth Malgus - another really good take on a competent Sith Lord.
KOTOR 2 does not aim to do what KOTOR 1 does. That is what you are missing here, BioWare wanted to make a simple feelgood game to make people feel better after the prequels. People's main criticism for the prequels was that they were too convoluted with character arcs being referred to that did not exist and plot setups that went absolutely nowhere. Ask yourself, what was the plot of the prequels? The answer is that there is no clear plot setup, tension nor payoff. There are just disjointed scenes that are scrambled together to a barely narrative "movie".

KOTOR aimed out to remedy what people hated about the prequels and wanted to appeal to nostalgia. KOTOR has a simple plot with a setup, arc and payoff. Malak is a cartoon villain in a way, he is setup as an intimidating villain at first but in the end he is nothing but a sniveling bully. He is the embodiment of a 13 year old nerds school yard bully. We all know how this ties into the target audience, i.e. any Star Wars fan of the era. KOTOR 2 was aimed to dissect Star Wars, of course it will be more critical and deeper. Obsidian was not setting out to do a Star Wars game in a way, they had ideas and plots that they tied into Star Wars. I personally prefer KOTOR 2, but I also think it has a totally different target audience than KOTOR 1.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Contrarian history revisionism. "Bioware devs are being gay on Twitter in 2020, therefore Baldur's Gate was bad hurrr durrr"
He's right though. Bioware's writing is garbage. Go back and play their gay Mass Effect games. Even Baldur's Gate is silly too.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Fallout New Vegas is a turd

and Obsidian is a turd

their only good game was KotOR 2

FriendlyMerchant

When did I bring up devs being gay? But for reference, they were pretty gay at least at the point of Trash Effect. BG1 was mediocre but enjoyable. BG2 was bad as a direct downgrade of BG1. NWN was terrible. And everything continued further downhill with KOTOR and Trash Effect.

BioWare wanted to make a simple feelgood game to make people feel better after the prequels.
Lol, it's because the prequels were doing gangbusters at the time that KotOR even exists. Bioware did not make it because "OT only" fags needed copium.
The plot of the prequels is Palpatine's rise to power and Anakin's fall to the dark side. It's easily tracked over the course of the three films. It isn't complicated.

Why give me the option to say no then? Ok for some flavor but still it's kind of dumb.
I would like to live in a world where retarded-evil players get a game over screen within the first 5 minutes of the game because they attempted desertion while completely naked and unarmed after they ignored the sound advice of the fully armed and armored soldier standing in front of them.

Ivan

Arcane

I fell out of love with KOTOR​

good

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom