Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wildman Discussion Thread

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
$400 per person, holy crap. Did they have prostitutes hand deliver the game to your bedroom?

I think the game offered lots of custom pieces, custom game boards and other geegaws. $400 per person is definitely insane.

I'd never pay that much for a board game simply because I wouldn't get to play it often enough.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think Taylor is on the right track but missed the target.

Nostalgia certainly helped sell some of these game, but that was just part of it. The main thing is that you can quickly and effectively describe the idea of the game.

Wasteland, it's like Fallout with a squad
P:E, it's like Baldur's Gate
Shadow Run Returns, it's Shadow Run on your computer.

Now look at Wildman and how much arguing over what the concept is just in this thread.

Also, something may seem like nostalgia but isn't. All these games would likely have been funded and made in 1996. There was clearly a market for them at somepoint, and kickstarter showed that market still exists. This isn't people wanting to live in the past, but wanting a specific type of product that's not being offered anymore, and developers filling that market. Is Wildman going to provide a product for an underserved market? I'm not sure, and I don't think anyone else is either. If people were sure it was going to fill niche that isn't being filled right now, it would probably have done better.

Kz3r0

Arcane
It's not that the market for certain games disappeared, simply the industry aimed for another, bigger, market.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This guy is clueless if he thinks his games were comparable to the Wing Commander series and Infinity engine RPGs. Never mind the fact that the latter two also offer a return to genres that have been pretty non-existent the last several years. Surprise, Chris, there is no fanbase for Dungeon Siege, Supreme Commander, and Demigod! He really needs to pull the plug on this Kickstarter and start thinking of a way to start over small (and probably just remain small). It's viable. There are plenty of small studios that survive and are profitable. But these constant articles, interviews, and videos are killing his esteem in the public. People are starting to view him as some pathetic Willy Loman character constantly droning on about his glory days. Enough is enough.
Uh, Total Annihilation?

How old are you...?

Older than you -- and I didn't think TA was anything amazing. Point is this guy hasn't done anything good in a while and it isn't as if RTS is a dead genre. Moreover, as mentioned, he isn't even pitching a pure RTS just some wacky hybrid that even he can't accurately describe.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's not that the market for certain games disappeared, simply the industry aimed for another, bigger, market.
That was my point. The market was always there, but no one was serving it. Does Wildman serve a market that is currently being served?

DeepOcean

Arcane
That was my point. The market was always there, but no one was serving it. Does Wildman serve a market that is currently being served?
That is a big problem for CT, on the ARPG market you have Diablo III, Torchlight 2, and Path of Exile (this is the only really good), the MOBA market is completely oversaturated and the RTS fans aren't exactly happy with Wildman. I recently rewatched 2001: a space odyssey, at the beginning of the movie, you see the apes learning how to use a bone as a club and how they use it as a weapon, then I think about Wildman: I would have pledged to him if this game was a pre-historic simulator, showing the conflict to survival, the beginning of the conscience and the discovery of the early technology. He talk about discovery of technology in Wildman, but it is something so weak, you defeat an opponent and gain the technology of the soap that give you a wonderful and completely exciting: 30% more health to your units. If this game was an age of empires/Kingdom of the dragon pass hybrid it would be way better. I don't know why he insists in doing crappy ARPG games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That is a big problem for CT, on the ARPG market you have Diablo III, Torchlight 2, and Path of Exile (this is the only really good), the MOBA market is completely oversaturated and the RTS fans aren't exactly happy with Wildman. I recently rewatched 2001: a space odyssey, at the beginning of the movie, you see the apes learning how to use a bone as a club and how they use it as a weapon, then I think about Wildman: I would have pledged to him if this game was a pre-historic simulator, showing the conflict to survival, the beginning of the conscience and the discovery of the early technology. He talk about discovery of technology in Wildman, but it is something so weak, you defeat an opponent and gain the technology of the soap that give you a wonderful and completely exciting: 30% more health to your units. If this game was an age of empires/Kingdom of the dragon pass hybrid it would be way better. I don't know why he insists in doing crappy ARPG games.

That kickstarter from the Titan Quest guys made it though.

I honestly think Wildman just looks stupid and had a poorly written/focused pitch. Cigar is cigar and all that.

Mortmal

Arcane

I honestly think Wildman just looks stupid and had a poorly written/focused pitch. Cigar is cigar and all that.

That's because Grim Dawn looks and feels good. Especially after people saw Diablo 3 and became disappointed with its cartoony style. So they thought they will get a "real" successor to Diablo franchise. I must say of all the arpgs I'm looking forward to it the most.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
I want to ejaculate all over the face and chest of that Monster boardgame...its concept and art direction looks and sounds several times sexier than Wildman.

imweasel

Any news if Chris Taylor has started to send out job applications yet?

tuluse

Arcane

ARPG has become too broad of a term. Grim Dark is a diablo clone, not an over the shoulder put you in the action type of game. There are plenty of the latter, and fewer of the former (though not zero like turn based isometric RPGs).

DeepOcean

Arcane

I know that his intentions are to make a simple ARPG with gimmick RTS mechanics and that the game is failling at the Kickstarer not because it is an ARPG. I just played alot of Path of Exile, I'm kinda burnout of Diablo clones and really desiring a good RTS right now and he failed to prove how relevant the RTS elements are going to be. The game looks like a torchlight clone, the game mechanics sound formulaic ARPG 101 and I'm kinda dissapointed that a setting that has potential and is rarely explored is just used as a excuse to make generic cavemen that could be characters on a Disney movie.

Kraszu

Prophet
I think the game offered lots of custom pieces, custom game boards and other geegaws. $400 per person is definitely insane.

I'd never pay that much for a board game simply because I wouldn't get to play it often enough.

Where do you have 400$?
Pledge $100 or more

890 backers
The Game – At this level, you’ll receive the Kingdom Death: Monster boxed game! You will also receive the digital art book.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Also, Grim Dawn was long in development before their Kickstarter, they used it to speed things up and expand upon the game.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Where do you have 400$?
Pledge $100 or more

890 backers
The Game – At this level, you’ll receive the Kingdom Death: Monster boxed game! You will also receive the digital art book.
I think he was talking about the average pledge level.

poetic codex

Augur
Yeah, Chris Taylor always seems like a such good guy in his videos. I'm also tempted to pledge out of principle even though the game holds no immediate appeal for me. Would hate to see another studio go bankrupt and encourage the EA/Ubisoft/Activision stranglehold in the game world.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I recently rewatched 2001: a space odyssey, at the beginning of the movie, you see the apes learning how to use a bone as a club and how they use it as a weapon, then I think about Wildman: I would have pledged to him if this game was a pre-historic simulator, showing the conflict to survival, the beginning of the conscience and the discovery of the early technology. He talk about discovery of technology in Wildman, but it is something so weak, you defeat an opponent and gain the technology of the soap that give you a wonderful and completely exciting: 30% more health to your units.

You have the start of a nice idea there. Asking yourself, "How would Stanley Kubrick do it?", is an interesting way to approach game design.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Also, Grim Dawn was long in development before their Kickstarter, they used it to speed things up and expand upon the game.

I find that irrelevant really. The point is it's a game people got excited about from the indie-kickstarter scene despite Torchlight and Diablo being out there. People are not starved for that genre but they are still excited about a relatively low budget game of that style. They are not excited about Wildman because it looks bad (IMO).

DeepOcean

Arcane
I recently rewatched 2001: a space odyssey, at the beginning of the movie, you see the apes learning how to use a bone as a club and how they use it as a weapon, then I think about Wildman: I would have pledged to him if this game was a pre-historic simulator, showing the conflict to survival, the beginning of the conscience and the discovery of the early technology. He talk about discovery of technology in Wildman, but it is something so weak, you defeat an opponent and gain the technology of the soap that give you a wonderful and completely exciting: 30% more health to your units.

You have the start of a nice idea there. Asking yourself, "How would Stanley Kubrick do it?", is an interesting way to approach game design.
One thing is to have inspiration from movies, books and music, another thing is making games as a movie or a book, 2001 was based on a book, it did mean it was less of a movie because of that?

Roq

Educated
If Kings and Castles, GPG's AAA RTS idea was going to cost $7m (of which at least 1m has already been spent) then what kind of game is Wildman going to be at 1/7th of the cost of that? It doesn't exactly inspire confidence that CT is making the game of his dreams. And surely when one funds a game on Kickstarter it's because one feels it's a game that should be made, rather than that one has some urge to top up the bargain bucket at the local discount store.

tuluse

Arcane
One thing is to have inspiration from movies, books and music, another thing is making games as a movie or a book, 2001 was based on a book, it did mean it was less of a movie because of that?
Not quite true, they were written pretty much simultaneously.

Well, looks like this kickstarter failed abysmally. Unsurprising, I would say.

And thus Gas Powered Gas was buried.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom