Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Chronicles for Windows (PC) - Translation Project to English COMPLETE!!! V0.983b Released!!

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
At the moment we are finishing up Book of Futures because its close to completion at the moment. With his & Elegnaims project notes & utilities from Passage of the Book, we killed a massive amount of the game as the 2 shared lots of properties, items, and even some dialogues. Once its all done, we will be going full swing on Empires I.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
MrRichard999  thanks again man, i'm playing Chronicle right now and enjoying it a lot. this would never have been possible without so many random variables working out. i'm currently thinking/looking for a new RPG to translate but i'm running into the problem that all the Wizardry games left (PoB, Five Ordeals, Wedge Of Life, "Grand Adventure", Asterisk, Empire 3, Summoner, and Dimguil) aaalllll come w/ their game files in .bin/.pak/.etc compressed archives and I have no way of extracting them.

ordinarily this alone would not be a problem as one can still do a translation by simply hex editing the compressed archive itself, but all of the Wizardry games I just mentioned also feature a type of text-encryption; from what I've read it is called dictionary encryption (correct me if i'm wrong). For example, in Wizardry Empire 3 everything textual except for inside-the-Dungeon-NPC-dialog can be found inside the compressed archive UMDDATA.bin and you can hex edit that .bin file with zero problems whatsoever. that's how i translated pretty much almost everything, except of course for the NPC dialogs that are found inside the dungeons.

the dungeon NPC text is found inside the Empire 3 "executable", which for PSP games is the EBOOT.bin archive. Now, this was when I first ran into what I later googled/learned is dictionary encryption or more simply put "text compression". I took screenshots of an ingame Empire 3 NPC conversation inside the game's 1st dungeon and then I used the search functionality of windhex32 and also crystaltile2 with pieces (i.e. japanese characters lifted from the conversation) of the text but it turns out everything is in there, but it's all scrambled.

Example would be, ok this is a normal looking NPC dialog text in X game, inside a compressed archive but without encryption:

「HELLO THERE! AWESOME SAUCE。。。\n 

Now what i did was basically search for terms like "hello", and when it didn't find anything, I eventually ended up searching for "He" and "H" (in this fictional example i mean) and also It ocurred to me to also do searches for the 「 and for 。。。 and the like, and sure enough the conversation text from the Empire 3 screenshot is most definitely inside the EBOOT.bin buuuuut unlike with everything that's inside the other game .bin, the one with 80% of the game text, the dialog text found in the EBOOT.bin is all completely jumbled like so:

「Hexx133fff.....#qq..SOME Sxx1ffffxx..x n

So do you understand what I mean now? and the same thing, same exact type of text compression, is also the case with the dialog/dungeon-text from:

- Prisoner of the Battles, both PS2 and Windows PC
ー Wiz XTH 1 and 2 i.e. academy of frontier and unlimited students
ー and of course... Wizardry Empire 3

so you can understand why i feel frustrated. Especially after i put in all those dozens of hours translating Empire 3. (which reminds me, I need to polish up the bits remaining of everything-but-the-NPC-dialog text that i already have translated and working for Empire 3 and i need to learn how to make a patch for the game so we can upload that ”menu patch” (though i’d say full translation of all enemies, spells, items, etc is much more than just a mere menu patch but whatever...).

i have no clue how to make a patch for it, right now all i have is a psp empire 3 .ISO with the modified UMDDATA.bin inside of it.

ANYWAY, my real point here w/ this post is basically asking you if a) is it possible to crack the compression/encryption on the text in these archives, and b) your thoughts on this subject?

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fantastic news, (for me at least!). Got it working through use of Dxwnd!

Still no clue why is wouldn't display normally, but if anyone else has the same problem use Dxwnd and hook up the .exe to it to get textures displayed.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
goddamn my keyboard is stuck on japanese double-width mono-font loll

@Shackleton , any thoughts so far on the races? i’m re-rolling parties because i can’t find a wiki/info site for the game so i’m going about it based solely on the race and classes info within the game. that said, it seems to me that the best race is the Wallawalla one.

early impressions are that true to classic Wiz formula the first few levels are rough, and you might/will die once or twice. Resurrection is too expensive so just re-roll or reload (depending on the save method you chose). Right now i finally finished mapping out all of the tiles in the 1st floor and i gotta say the damn floor is huge; floor sizes seem to be in excess of 35x35, perhaps more. quite a few decently placed hidden doors and one or two 1-way doors in the 1st floor and also some traps.

my only real complaint is that the game is slow in comparison to any other crawler, including DOS/Apple II versions of the original Wiz games. No options to disable battle FX, urghurgh.

trying to find a jp wiki/faq site right now for power gaming ammunition. 

and jesusfuck learn to climb stairs faster eh jesus fucking christ!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
found this
https://translate.google.com.pr/tra.../img/2012/06/wizardry-chroni.html&prev=search

blog of a jap dude who played it ages ago, some of the parts of his play/walk-through are missing but a lot are still up. example of a pic from his blogging of the game:
wizchro120628010.jpg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
wizchro120628011.jpg

LOW KEY JAPS TROLLING CHINESE :d

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Jesus, aweigh, get that font fixed asap!

Not had an enormous time to play since I fixed the black screen error, but the hour or so I've had I've enjoyed. I like the feeling that this is almost a totally different game than the traditional Wizardries in terms of class and races, gives me a feeling that I can't wait to get stuck in and find out what does what. For the races, I just went with one of each for now, and two of the Wallhacks (or whatever) for the two mages. I saw all races got a different racial skill so thought I'd have one of each to find out what does what. *Edit* The fact that both the bonus roll and the luck stat are randomised at char creation will totally sperg out the people who spend hours rolling! I rolled until I got a luck score of 13+ and a bonus score of 15+, didn't take too long.

Human Soldier
Sadeeq Swordsman
Mirelli Priest
Torion (or whatever, can't remember) Thief
Wallhack Mage x2, one Good and one neutral in case of class changes later.

Zero clue about the classes, I see there's bards and knights and stuff in the SS's from romhacking but no idea on requirements.

I must be going filthy casual, but I like the fact there's an automap. I don't like that there appears to be no way to cast spells in town so healing needs to either cost a week and gp or be done in the dungeon then come up, rest and then enter again to cast healing spells. I'm sure this'll get less annoying later when I've got more spells. I'm ok with the pace, I set the speed to the 'infinity' symbol and just mash the enter button, (or A on my gamepad, thank you JoyToKey!)

Thanks again MrRichard999 and team, your work is an enormous service to us blobber fans! Do you have a page set up somewhere for donations? I feel terribly guilty enjoying the fruits of your labours without some form of financial contribution!

:takemymoney:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, this is definitely a worthy wizardry clone. The first floor of the first (and maybe only, judging from the bizarre story setup?) dungeon has one way doors that trap you in an unknown section of the floor and at least one teleporter that dumps you far away from the exit.

Got to say I am loving it, it's a breath of fresh air to have different classes and yet the same punishing but possible difficulty. Save anywhere as in Elminage and I am making full use of it! No bugs so far and no wonky text, top job MrRichard and team!

And *Edit*- that map image above is not by any means complete, he's missing a few secret doors. I've been banging my party into every wall true hardcore blobber style and I've found quite a lot so far.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Shackleton

looking foward to your continued experience playing this game. this is 100%, absolutely, by far, inarguably, no contest, without-a-doubt... the single rarest Wiz game ever developed.

comissioned by the (now defunct) jap branch of Microsoft back in 1998 by MS because MS wanted to capitalize on the popularity of the all-new Wiz series that were coming out at that time in japan, namely:

- Wizardry Empire series by Starfish studios (first game came out in 1999 for game boy and the first proper Empire game for Playstation 1 came out in early 2000)
- the Wiz Gaiden series, with its newest entry coming out that time frame as well: wiz gaiden 5: dimguil for Playstation 1, which was released in the year 2001.

so MS comissioned some dev to make Chronicle, and this was their very first ever RPG game (!). it was released in 2001 for japanese Windows PC and it tanked completely and faded into complete obscurity forever after. the studio behind the game, although still "alive", are in all actuality "dead" and they never made another Wiz game.

i think it's safe to assume that the reason why it feels, looks and plays like a completely different beast of a Wiz game unlike both the Western-Bradley Wiz games, and also unlike its jap brethern Empire/Gaiden; the studio did not have a Wizardry/rpg background and they went at the game with a fresh mindset and without being beholden to anything.

i've cleared the 1st dungeon floor and well, at first i found it too slow and too "generic", but fortunately i am now thoroughly enjoying it. The floor design so far is excellent, and the 2nd floor is already even more involved than the 1st floor (which is one of the better/perhaps one of the best 1st floors i've played through in a modern 'crawler).

still haven't figured out how to activate the power rangers group-attacks tho, apparently it has to do with how each party member gets along with the others in terms of race/class mixture, similar to Empire series games but implemented differently.

also for the love of god MrRichard999

LEARN THE FREAKING SPELL NAMES FOR WIZARDRY DUDE I MEAN DEATH-FIREBALL ???? DUUUDE

KTHX

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
MrRichard999  thanks again man, i'm playing Chronicle right now and enjoying it a lot. this would never have been possible without so many random variables working out. i'm currently thinking/looking for a new RPG to translate but i'm running into the problem that all the Wizardry games left (PoB, Five Ordeals, Wedge Of Life, "Grand Adventure", Asterisk, Empire 3, Summoner, and Dimguil) aaalllll come w/ their game files in .bin/.pak/.etc compressed archives and I have no way of extracting them.

ordinarily this alone would not be a problem as one can still do a translation by simply hex editing the compressed archive itself, but all of the Wizardry games I just mentioned also feature a type of text-encryption; from what I've read it is called dictionary encryption (correct me if i'm wrong). For example, in Wizardry Empire 3 everything textual except for inside-the-Dungeon-NPC-dialog can be found inside the compressed archive UMDDATA.bin and you can hex edit that .bin file with zero problems whatsoever. that's how i translated pretty much almost everything, except of course for the NPC dialogs that are found inside the dungeons.

the dungeon NPC text is found inside the Empire 3 "executable", which for PSP games is the EBOOT.bin archive. Now, this was when I first ran into what I later googled/learned is dictionary encryption or more simply put "text compression". I took screenshots of an ingame Empire 3 NPC conversation inside the game's 1st dungeon and then I used the search functionality of windhex32 and also crystaltile2 with pieces (i.e. japanese characters lifted from the conversation) of the text but it turns out everything is in there, but it's all scrambled.

Example would be, ok this is a normal looking NPC dialog text in X game, inside a compressed archive but without encryption:

「HELLO THERE! AWESOME SAUCE。。。\n 

Now what i did was basically search for terms like "hello", and when it didn't find anything, I eventually ended up searching for "He" and "H" (in this fictional example i mean) and also It ocurred to me to also do searches for the 「 and for 。。。 and the like, and sure enough the conversation text from the Empire 3 screenshot is most definitely inside the EBOOT.bin buuuuut unlike with everything that's inside the other game .bin, the one with 80% of the game text, the dialog text found in the EBOOT.bin is all completely jumbled like so:

「Hexx133fff.....#qq..SOME Sxx1ffffxx..x n

So do you understand what I mean now? and the same thing, same exact type of text compression, is also the case with the dialog/dungeon-text from:

- Prisoner of the Battles, both PS2 and Windows PC
ー Wiz XTH 1 and 2 i.e. academy of frontier and unlimited students
ー and of course... Wizardry Empire 3

so you can understand why i feel frustrated. Especially after i put in all those dozens of hours translating Empire 3. (which reminds me, I need to polish up the bits remaining of everything-but-the-NPC-dialog text that i already have translated and working for Empire 3 and i need to learn how to make a patch for the game so we can upload that ”menu patch” (though i’d say full translation of all enemies, spells, items, etc is much more than just a mere menu patch but whatever...).

i have no clue how to make a patch for it, right now all i have is a psp empire 3 .ISO with the modified UMDDATA.bin inside of it.

ANYWAY, my real point here w/ this post is basically asking you if a) is it possible to crack the compression/encryption on the text in these archives, and b) your thoughts on this subject?

For making a Wiz Empire 3 patch, PPF-Studio works fine - http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/514/

Place your original ISO of the game with your modified version in the same directory and use that program to create a PPF patch.

With regards to that compression, when I see that stuff, I just bail and call it quits. I don't know coders that deal with that kind of stuff. You may have to ask around somewhere like Board2, RHDN, or the GBA forums. Its beyond what I do. It's frustrating but it can halt a project real fast if you don't have the experienced people around to help. I always do a quick browse on games first before I start playing around with them and if I can't find any dialogue, usually it means there's compression involved... Some systems have utilities that you can use to make it easier but in my instances, I had bad luck.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Shackleton

looking foward to your continued experience playing this game. this is 100%, absolutely, by far, inarguably, no contest, without-a-doubt... the single rarest Wiz game ever developed.

comissioned by the (now defunct) jap branch of Microsoft back in 1998 by MS because MS wanted to capitalize on the popularity of the all-new Wiz series that were coming out at that time in japan, namely:

- Wizardry Empire series by Starfish studios (first game came out in 1999 for game boy and the first proper Empire game for Playstation 1 came out in early 2000)
- the Wiz Gaiden series, with its newest entry coming out that time frame as well: wiz gaiden 5: dimguil for Playstation 1, which was released in the year 2001.

so MS comissioned some dev to make Chronicle, and this was their very first ever RPG game (!). it was released in 2001 for japanese Windows PC and it tanked completely and faded into complete obscurity forever after. the studio behind the game, although still "alive", are in all actuality "dead" and they never made another Wiz game.

i think it's safe to assume that the reason why it feels, looks and plays like a completely different beast of a Wiz game unlike both the Western-Bradley Wiz games, and also unlike its jap brethern Empire/Gaiden; the studio did not have a Wizardry/rpg background and they went at the game with a fresh mindset and without being beholden to anything.

i've cleared the 1st dungeon floor and well, at first i found it too slow and too "generic", but fortunately i am now thoroughly enjoying it. The floor design so far is excellent, and the 2nd floor is already even more involved than the 1st floor (which is one of the better/perhaps one of the best 1st floors i've played through in a modern 'crawler).

still haven't figured out how to activate the power rangers group-attacks tho, apparently it has to do with how each party member gets along with the others in terms of race/class mixture, similar to Empire series games but implemented differently.

LEARN THE FREAKING SPELL NAMES FOR WIZARDRY DUDE I MEAN DEATH-FIREBALL ???? DUUUDE

KTHX

Those are the spell names! They are completely different from the rest of the games and thats how they were all translated... Don't expect similarities of them or item names. Races are different also.

DamoEye

Barely Literate

Still no clue why is wouldn't display normally, but if anyone else has the same problem use Dxwnd and hook up the .exe to it to get textures displayed.
What settings did you use on DxWnd? I'm trying to run it through that but there's still no textures.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
wizardry games that take place in the same universe utilize the same spells, and as such the same spell names, because spells in traditional wizardry come from the gods (and the devils).

when a wizardry mage casts Dumapic he or she is making an invocation to the universe and not actually casting a "spell". :D

but it's a minor point anyway, i'm not being serious here. it's something i would've changed but it's not something that legitimately bothers me as a player once i seperate my fanaticism for the Wizardry franchise from my ability to interpret something objectively and actually derive enjoyment of the game, and of course and most importantly: something like spell names are trivial when one begins to fully appreciate the work of the translation team.

tl;dr wizardry spell names are wizardry spell names. robert woodhead spent a long time copy/pasting Egyptian and Hebrew historical mythology in order to come up with the spells, the spell names and their way the spells work in the wizardry universe :D

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Started on Floor 2 now, but having had my arse handed to me by
ninja's throwing shurikens and dragon rats that poisoned me
I decided to grind a bit on Floor 1 again until my party was lvl 6 at least. The floor 2 mobs (at least around the ladder area) don't give much more xp than some fights on Floor 1 so I headed back down to take them up a lvl. The neutral Sadeeq Swordsman is levelling slower than the other classes, I'm wondering if that's down to some invisible 'affinity' stat or just because swordsman levels slower anyway.

Picking up lots of gold and so far nothing to really spend it on but having seen the cost of reversing aging and changing alignment (pay to change alignment?! That's a new one), I think saving up is the order of the day.

No sign so far of any class, race or party skills but it's very early days. Getting slightly bothered by no sideways movement, headbutting walls with no sideways move is adding an extra button press I could do without. Still enjoying it massively though, they got the early game balance just about right I feel. The dungeon feels dangerous, but each expedition brings progress. Hell, I shelved my DS2 Sorcerer playthrough and got out of bed at 4.50am to play for 90 mins before work so it must be grabbing me!

Found one bit of text not translated MrRichard999, when you stay in an inn room for 20gp each and it doesn't heal you totally, it asks if you want to 'retain' the room or 'exit' and the exit is untranslated. I assume it's exit anyway, as that's what it does. That's the only thing I've found so far though. I did find the mob that looks like an assassin translated as 'Prick' quite amusing, that's a quite old fashioned insult in the UK meaning 'gentleman's parts'. :oops: Digging the 'Sid's Bass' instrument as well, reference to Sid Vicious? :salute:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Shackleton

"strafing" sideways is, um, as hilarious as it is to type publically, strafing sideways in 'Crawlers is like a really, really new and innovative addition believe it or not. as recently as 2001's Playstation 1 and Windows PC release of Wizardry Empire 1 that game did not and does not feature sideways strafing.

for the 2002-3 sequel, Empire 2 on the same set of consoles (Windows PC and Playstation 1), they couldn't even manage to implement strafing via hotkeys properly LOL. In Empire 2 what they did was make a seperate button that when depressed (i.e. Held Down) turns your left/right directional inputs into a strafe.

sooo... er, i guess what i'm trying to say is that once i realized not all 'Crawlers will or might have strafing i should not begin to depend on it, as this is a sub-genre where aficionados like us will find ourselves playing a recently released 'Crawler from after 2010, and then the next day we'll be playing some 'Crawler from 15-30 years ago which will not feature strafing sideways, so i just stopped doing it. Once you get used to just using the "down" (i.e. Backpedal) directional input as the button to turn around you'll find you quickly get used to moving around without strafing.

it's not all sunshine and rainbows tho: i'm currently also playing the recently completed fan-trans Wizardry Gaiden 4: Throb of the Demon's Heart for Super Nintendo (SNES) and while that one features strafing i would gladly trade strafing for being able to have everyone in the party Rest at the Inn at the same time instead of having to select each party member individually and then have that character rest. My god, maannn... talk about time wasting.

now THAT is one "legacy" i can most defintely do without!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Shackleton

KTHX

Those are the spell names! They are completely different from the rest of the games and thats how they were all translated... Don't expect similarities of them or item names. Races are different also.

You can disagree all you want, that's how they did it when making the game. Its prevalent in the dialogue also when the NPC's talk about the spells too. It breaks from the normal Wizardry spell names. I'm not a fan of it either but I stuck with how it was done originally.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
You can disagree all you want, that's how they did it when making the game. Its prevalent in the dialogue also when the NPC's talk about the spells too. It breaks from the normal Wizardry spell names. I'm not a fan of it either but I stuck with how it was done originally.

Oh! damn, i apologize dude. I have not read the game manual so I just assumed it was supposed to be a traditional Wizardry-universe title. Now it all makes sense, of course, and i feel really dumb. This also explains why all of the Races are completely new and not derivatives of other Wizardry titles.

Good stuff! and thanks for explaining it to me.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron

What settings did you use on DxWnd? I'm trying to run it through that but there's still no textures.

Ack, I'm not at home tonight to check my settings, but what I did was 'add' a new profile and only selected a couple of the boxes in the 'video' tab. The rest I left on default, thinking I'd keep changing stuff if what I did didn't work.

If I remember correctly, it was one of the top boxes in video I checked that was also checked in the Wizardry 8 default dxwnd profile, something like 'fix DLL' s' or something like it.

I didn't touch anything else apart from a couple of boxes/in the video tab and ran as administrator and it worked.

Sorry I can't be more help tonight, I'm back home tomorrow and can post my exact set up then.

*Edit*. Ok, back home and checked settings. I was wrong, it was the 'Hook' tab I changed, not Video. I added a new profile and every screen other then the 2 below are as default. Can't guarantee it'll work for everyone's set up, but it's working for me.

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
As well as editing my post above with the DXwnd settings, I thought I'd share the SS of the only untranslated text I've seen so far; the aforementioned rest screen.

rSvBYJ1.jpg
rSvBYJ1.jpg
[/IMG]

Hardly a game breaker MrRichard999, but worth pointing out for a future patch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom