Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord remake by Digital Eclipse

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Matt Barton just released his interview with Digital Eclipse and they hinted more remakes could happen if there's enough support.
Here's a question. Isn't there a Wizardry game with a built-in editor (Five Ordeals maybe)? I can't imagine it would be beyond Wizardry fan autism to remake the early games in that, so it's frankly weird that they have any audience at all. Pay 40 dollars for Wizardry 1, then come back in a couple years and do it again for Wizardry 2?
I guess they fully translated EVERYTHING including the build engine. I don't know if you can transfer characters between games which would sort of fuck up a wiz1-3 playthrough for authentic gameplay. Some want a build engine with a bit more customization and from what I saw, basement brick walls, generic floor/ceiling but char/mob pics can be swapped out like a whores waredrobe.

Since steam is fucking my laptop stupid I should buy the damn game.

As to this version, yeah original more or less fixing any bugs if any but it has a lot of new shit QOL that I suppose you can toggle on/off. Yeah, i think you can still play vector lines but I don't know if original mob art from apple is there. Tbh, while they are at it have the ability to swap art assets from every version released. I hoped the the bard's tale trilogy would have allowed this but nope. (No construction set either so FUCK OFF FARGO!)

When you want the ultimate... go the fucking extra way and keep tuning and tweaking until it is that ULTIMATE VERSION. Us old grogs played the original on one platform or other so a tweaked up QOL shouldn't phase us esp if you have classic mode. And well fuck a smuck duck out of luck in the muck that sucks off the nostalgia whore if you include ALL versions.

Do this with Might & Magic 1-2 also. Hell do a 3-xeen. I know MMX tried but fucking french Ubisoft and online shit... FUCK YOU! Offline is how these are played cut the fucking leash you french fucking snobs..

peterb

Novice
I don't know if you can transfer characters between games which would sort of fuck up a wiz1-3 playthrough for authentic gameplay
You can sort of transfer characters - their level 1 stats, name, etc, can move from scenario to scenario, but not equipment (which makes sense, because each scenario can have customized items.)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
ACS had that sort of issue. To compensate it did give you something like 1-10k gold (which you couldn't usually pack since gold weighs in that game.). The idea was fund a store and buy shit ASAP since no weapon means mobs can just rape the hell out of your health and you can't strike back or attack.

index.php

Arcane
Update 1.1: The Fast Combat Update

Greetings, adventurers! We've heard your feedback since the release of Wizardry, and we appreciate all your suggestions. We've fixed numerous bugs and added a few features requested specifically by players, and we hope these changes make your time in The Maze even more enjoyable.

New Features:
  • Fast Combat Option
    Players can choose to deactivate animations to speed up combat. The enemy has to be fully inspected/deduced for this feature to appear. Once available, it can be activated with a button press.

• Level Cap Increase
    Players now have a limit of 99 million XP.

• Old-School Options > Castle Options > Honor Guard Terms

You may choose to keep your gear after being invited to the Honor Guard.

• Old-School Options > Castle Options > Aging from Inn
    You can now remove the penalty for aging when staying at the Inn.

• Old-School Options > Maze Options > All HAMAN Results
    This allows HAMAN and MAHAMAN to trigger additional effects, when they previously would not due to a bug in the original game.

• Old-School Options > Maze Options > Distribute Extra Gold
    When enabled, this new option gives leftover gold to one of the members of the party. Otherwise, per the original rules, the leftover gold will be discarded.

• Old-School Options > Cheats > Honor Guard Rewards
    When invited to the Honor Guard, you can choose to receive the experience reward once or multiple times. Details for this feature are included in the menu description.

• Rebalanced recruited character generation. Stop by Gilgamesh's and see who's available!

• Spells cast by the party that target a party member now resolve at the end of combat.

• We've added new UI for active effects: MAPORFIC, MILWA/LOMILWA and found characters.

• You may now rest your full party in town even when one character is injured or dead.

Bugs Fixed:
  • MAPORFIC, MILWA/LOMILWA, HAMAN/MAHAMAN now properly stored between saves/sessions
  • Returning to title screen from the dungeon while possessing the amulet will no longer force you into the Honor Guard
  • Corrected treasure table data
  • Corrected damage roll for MADALTO
  • Fixed some issues that would cause combat not to proceed
  • Numerous other minor bugs fixed, as well as some polish

BruceVC

Magister
Update 1.1: The Fast Combat Update

Greetings, adventurers! We've heard your feedback since the release of Wizardry, and we appreciate all your suggestions. We've fixed numerous bugs and added a few features requested specifically by players, and we hope these changes make your time in The Maze even more enjoyable.

New Features:
  • Fast Combat Option
    Players can choose to deactivate animations to speed up combat. The enemy has to be fully inspected/deduced for this feature to appear. Once available, it can be activated with a button press.

• Level Cap Increase
    Players now have a limit of 99 million XP.

• Old-School Options > Castle Options > Honor Guard Terms

You may choose to keep your gear after being invited to the Honor Guard.

• Old-School Options > Castle Options > Aging from Inn
    You can now remove the penalty for aging when staying at the Inn.

• Old-School Options > Maze Options > All HAMAN Results
    This allows HAMAN and MAHAMAN to trigger additional effects, when they previously would not due to a bug in the original game.

• Old-School Options > Maze Options > Distribute Extra Gold
    When enabled, this new option gives leftover gold to one of the members of the party. Otherwise, per the original rules, the leftover gold will be discarded.

• Old-School Options > Cheats > Honor Guard Rewards
    When invited to the Honor Guard, you can choose to receive the experience reward once or multiple times. Details for this feature are included in the menu description.

• Rebalanced recruited character generation. Stop by Gilgamesh's and see who's available!

• Spells cast by the party that target a party member now resolve at the end of combat.

• We've added new UI for active effects: MAPORFIC, MILWA/LOMILWA and found characters.

• You may now rest your full party in town even when one character is injured or dead.

Bugs Fixed:
  • MAPORFIC, MILWA/LOMILWA, HAMAN/MAHAMAN now properly stored between saves/sessions
  • Returning to title screen from the dungeon while possessing the amulet will no longer force you into the Honor Guard
  • Corrected treasure table data
  • Corrected damage roll for MADALTO
  • Fixed some issues that would cause combat not to proceed
  • Numerous other minor bugs fixed, as well as some polish
Any news about them remaking the other Wizardry's in this modern way?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
They'll lay this groundwork and try to perfect it then probably start the add-ons. We can hope anyway.

BruceVC

Magister
They'll lay this groundwork and try to perfect it then probably start the add-ons. We can hope anyway.
Yes, thats what I assume

I have never played the Wizardry games and I know they iconic and classic but this remake is similar to the design and ethos of the original but with updated visuals

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, some of these QOL stray from the original but they are toggles so I assume you can play full original.

Again, I'd like to see maybe including gfx of the other versions like c64, dos, mac, etc. It is a small thing and I'm still annoyed at inxile for not including that and a construction set. Maybe this variant of Wizardry will include a dev kit far later as well.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, some of these QOL stray from the original but they are toggles so I assume you can play full original.

Again, I'd like to see maybe including gfx of the other versions like c64, dos, mac, etc. It is a small thing and I'm still annoyed at inxile for not including that and a construction set. Maybe this variant of Wizardry will include a dev kit far later as well.

Nothing is worse than that Phantasie collection. Those guys deserve a punch in the dick.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
They put together a trilogy but of the worse possible solutions. I & III are dos and II is appleII image I believe. So, no transfer and just god awful. Not even a remaster or upgrade which would have been interesting. Hell, were the manual pdfs even included? It is rubbish esp for $9.99. (I actually like appleii version but why bother for this just bleh release)?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
With Phantasie V out for free I'd still like to see an ultimate complete overhaul of I-V done in a single engine with a construction set. I really dug the dungeons of I-II but I enjoyed the sound of c64 the most. Maybe i need to relook at versions and how they play once again.

Wizardry was pretty silent I think on DOS and c64. I never really played the appleII version except for this remaster here. When you see so many versions of a single game it can be intimidating on figuring which to play unless you're really fascinated about the approach of each on various platforms. Some games just get resurrected again and again and again. Wizardry seems to be one that is embedded permanently into gaming. If you can't get the fix with modern there is always the original waiting in its own dungeon of links or purchases via ebay or lucky finds somewhere.

peterb

Novice
Here's a video of me (from today) showing off how character transfer works in the PS1 Llylgamyn Saga. On the whole playing in an emulator is pretttttttty darn convenient, frankly.

https://youtu.be/tuYSa-to62k

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom