Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord remake by Digital Eclipse

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Has anybody here on the forums discussed this open source remake of the original Wizardry?
I haven't been here in a few weeks and haven't looked so I didn't want to start a thread about in case someone already had, but I only just found out about this earlier in the week.

Apparently they are going to remake the second, third and fifth games (no mention of the fourth) as well once it is finished.
I own the remake on Steam and I think its neat, but this looks about a trillion times better, retaining the Super Nintendo / Famicom art style with a much better looking interface.

I don't know why I am still surprised to find free shit made with passion regularly surpassing by far licensed products made to sell anymore, but this is a beaut to behold:

Sorcery: Shadows under Llylgamyn

https://github.com/davemoore22/sorcery

screen1.png
screen18.png
screen22.png

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Having animated monsters is cool but eventually you get bored with the combats and want to fast forward through the turns.

It also feels janky how it tells you the result of the attack before the animation plays. "Fighter kills Kobold" and then 2 seconds later it shows the attack animation. 'Mobile tier' is right.

Ultimately Wizardry is a classic but still primitive game, I have no interest in retreading those waters. Give me new worlds, new classes, new combat systems, etc.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Westerners keep remaking Wiz 1, while the Japanese keep making games inspired by Wiz 1. I want to say the Japs are smarter, but then I remember the puke inducing anime in most of the Wizardry clones.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Westerners keep remaking Wiz 1, while the Japanese keep making games inspired by Wiz 1. I want to say the Japs are smarter, but then I remember the puke inducing anime in most of the Wizardry clones.
Neither is smart enough to build on Wizardry 7 and usher in true incline.

Old Hans

Arcane
Wizardry 1 is the perfect distillation of original D&D.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Has anybody here on the forums discussed this open source remake of the original Wizardry?
I haven't been here in a few weeks and haven't looked so I didn't want to start a thread about in case someone already had, but I only just found out about this earlier in the week.

Apparently they are going to remake the second, third and fifth games (no mention of the fourth) as well once it is finished.
I own the remake on Steam and I think its neat, but this looks about a trillion times better, retaining the Super Nintendo / Famicom art style with a much better looking interface.

I don't know why I am still surprised to find free shit made with passion regularly surpassing by far licensed products made to sell anymore, but this is a beaut to behold:

Sorcery: Shadows under Llylgamyn

https://github.com/davemoore22/sorcery

View attachment 50082View attachment 50083View attachment 50084
DAMN! I need to try this.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Very curious how it plays on the Switch. Being able to play a game like The Dark Spire while traveling was awesome. $40 for this is pretty steep but I dunno if I'd mind for on-the-road playing.

edit: Found some Japanese (surprise surprise) gameplay of it; looks like it runs perfectly fine:

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
Played around a bit on the weekend, got my crew up to level 3 and decided to go to level 2. Was immediately attacked by a group of 6 ethereal entities who promptly put my entire team to sleep and/or paralysed them for a TPK...it's definitely still the original code!

I tried to control alt tab out and quit the game when I saw the inevitability of my demise, the modern equivalent of ripping the disk out of the drive before it saved your "progress", but the game was too smart for that - when I rebooted it informed me of the TPK...

:rage:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Played around a bit on the weekend, got my crew up to level 3 and decided to go to level 2. Was immediately attacked by a group of 6 ethereal entities who promptly put my entire team to sleep and/or paralysed them for a TPK...it's definitely still the original code!

I tried to control alt tab out and quit the game when I saw the inevitability of my demise, the modern equivalent of ripping the disk out of the drive before it saved your "progress", but the game was too smart for that - when I rebooted it informed me of the TPK...

:rage:

I made an A-team/B-team setup (good/evil). My B-team wandered down to Level 4 and got almost instantly killed. Lvl 6-7 was nowhere near enough, it seems.

I think you're supposed to do a lot of grinding. :negative:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Lazy remake. It's reasonably fun and playable because it's Wizardru. But, this is a definition of a cash grab..no real improvement of actual upgrades of the actual game.

Wizardry = 6.5/10 as a game.

As a Remake = 4.5/10.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom