Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - set in Nazi occupied America

Ash

Arcane
It certainly made advances as an open world FPS: better AI, weapon handling, combat mechanics etc over what was in say New Vegas. Though NV had some things going for it in that regard like ammo types and more than one weapon that uses .44 caliber. And it's a better FPS than any Machine Games Wolfenstien game will ever be. But still, you can easily get ahold of a million stimpacks past a certain point, it's very hitscan heavy, level design can be a bit banal at times (though better than FO3 mediocrity). But yeah, if you look at it not as a Fallout game nor RPG but as a FPS, well what else is there on the market? Wolfenstien the (allegedly) SJW movie game, that's what.
rating_shit.png

:negative:

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State

Look at what fucking BJ dad says in the middle! "This is a white man's world. White man's gotta keep it Christian." I'm sorry but isn't there more Asian, Hispanic and Black Christians then White ones? I mean, China is predicted to be more Christian then America in 30 or so years. Goddamn White supremacist Chinese! Seriously though, is this what fucking Swedes think of white Americans? Nothing but a bunch of racist, sexist, wife beating, close minded Bible thumpers who are oppressing the other poor religions with their Christian one, as well as oppressing all the other races to boot. I am not a Christian myself but fuck is that offensive.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
White man's world as in who in recent history controls the most power. Most influence. But it's still stupid to boil it down to "the white man", as a collective. There are many white males that are disadvantaged or see little to no benefit of the "first world" or any special "privilege", and are servants, pawns and sacrifices of the super rich just like everyone else. Anyhow, it's true the (rich) white man dominates. It's not necessarily a bad thing either. If not whites it'd be some other skin tone that created a British empire equivalent, kickstarted the industrial revolution, invented the Microprocessor etc. Would this other skin tone have treated other ethnic groups or races fairly? Brush up on your history or common sense. The answer is no. There's variable degrees of human scum and stupidity absolutely everywhere, regardless of race or gender. They tend to be the ones that rise to the top of any given institution, most often. Look at Mugabe or Kim Jong Un's family, for instance.
Things could be better for *some* minorities (and not fucking women of the first world ffs), yet the biggest issue is the extremely wide inequality of everything based on WEALTH/CLASS.

pyramid-of-capitalist-system.jpg

This is fine in concept, society needs a pyramid-like structure, but the inequality difference is insane. And no one should go without the bare essentials.

What is all this SJW ideology even on at this stage (independent of this shitty video game)? The first world has been very progressive towards females as well as minorities for decades now (except homeless people, or students), that this seems completely targeted in the wrong areas. Meanwhile you go to the middle east and get your head chopped off for being gay, or have fuck all rights as a female. Shouldn't that be where the vast majority of efforts are focused since it's so heinous and inhuman? Instead there's insurmountable efforts into accurate portrayal of minorities in videogames and meaningless crap like that. Yet I'm sure it's safe to assume that a lot of it isn't even core original social activist ideology and methods, but rather retarded gamers that simply followed the crowd as so many always do, like when lapping up the latest brainless AAA marketed down their throats. World's just gone fucking mad (a bit more than usual) in general, I swear. Probably what happens when you give retards a voice in the form of the internet...damn those oppressive white men for creating it. Although it doesn't help that media these days is collectively dumbed down trash in a race to the bottom of the wallets of the most amount of idiots.

Maybe idiocracy was prophetical after all... and apologies for the probably similarly idiotic rant.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
That image makes no sense. It is conflating traditional ruling order with CAPITALISM. Nobles are the not the ones in charge of capitalism. Capitalism was the catalyst for their heads getting chopped off, so that global financiers could rule behind the scenes.

Ash

Arcane
Sure, ignore the anti-capatalism propaganda part. It's the structure of society that is the relevant bit. Regardless of any economic system it'll always have to be this way, otherwise who else will sweep the streets and process the sewage and garbage? My point is, at least, the inequality gap in standards of living shouldn't be so damn extreme regardless of whatever economic system is in effect.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's a pointless argument. SJWs aren't interested in helping the poor. They are interested in destroying white people and western society, because they now see class in purely racial terms. Make all the people at the bottom minorities and the people at the top white and male and you'll get a glimpse at how they see the world.

HansDampf

Arcane
Help me remember, it's been a while since I've played TNO. Has the phrase "white Nazi scum" ever been used in that game? It was always just "Nazi scum" as far as I remember.

Plisken

Learned
It certainly made advances as an open world FPS: better AI, weapon handling, combat mechanics etc over what was in say New Vegas. Though NV had some things going for it in that regard like ammo types and more than one weapon that uses .44 caliber. And it's a better FPS than any Machine Games Wolfenstien game will ever be. But still, you can easily get ahold of a million stimpacks past a certain point, it's very hitscan heavy, level design can be a bit banal at times (though better than FO3 mediocrity). But yeah, if you look at it not as a Fallout game nor RPG but as a FPS, well what else is there on the market? Wolfenstien the (allegedly) SJW movie game, that's what.
rating_shit.png

:negative:

can you explain why hitscan is bad?

I'm curious because I feel like it is bad thing, and most hitscan FPSes the shootouts feel "odd" for lack of a better term. Its something i can't put my finger on. Source engine games in particular.

Ash

Arcane
It's not strictly bad per se, it just reduces the skill cap and variety of engagement in FPS combat. A good mix of all forms of attack is ideal, preferably with slight emphasis on projectile. Old school shooters usually got this right. When everything is hitscan, it becomes primarily about cover shooting, or who saw who and shot first (that's simplifying it, but you get the gist).

Plug time, but it's one thing I strove to diversify a little with Deus Ex's combat, without changing it significantly. You'll just notice more varied forms of (grounded, consistent with the concepts of the game) attacks, since it was somewhat hitscan heavy. It's still that way, but now with some extra melee or projectile-based curveballs to break it up a bit more. Simply makes for better and more diverse shooter combat....along with the shitload of other things I did for the previously incompetent AI, stealth included.

Last edited:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Everyone's favorite Polygon writer wrote an article about how not buying this game will kill single player gamers without DLC/lootbox/etc.

http://archive.is/sw3Hn

"And if Wolfenstein 2 stumbles in terms of revenues, you can expect that funding for other single-player games will be much harder to come by in the next few years. This is a well-reviewed game in a popular franchise being released by one of the most powerful publishers in the industry. If The New Colossus can’t work as a single-player game, it’s very possible that other large publishers will see the task as being impossible.

So if you like story-based single-player games, pray for Wolfenstein 2. It may not be your cup of tea, but it’s very likely to be the canary in the coal mine for other publishers who are already looking at that sort of experience with skepticism and fear. If Bethesda can’t make the act of punching Nazis a success in 2017, everyone else in the business will suddenly become a lot more conservative about their single-player bets, and that would be a shame."

Totally not a sponsored article.

They're not wrong. Publishers always look at previous game sales from other companies to determine if they should invest into a game or not.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Good thing i don't like story fag, Call of Duty style shooters then. I'm praying this fails, hard and utterly, though i'm sure it won't because Bethesda fans aren't known for their discriminatory tastes.

Educated
can you explain why hitscan is bad?
Adding to what Ash said, AFAIK(not sure though) the main reason to use hitscan is for multiplayer based games because it works better with high latency than actual bullet physics. Which makes it even worse because they said they didn't implement MP to make the SP better

ArchAngel

Arcane
BTW for those that complain there is not enough shooting and too many animated sequences.. after you finish main story you have many missions to do where you go, find and eliminate all the high ranking commanders. That is mostly shooting and very little animated cutscenes.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think half of you guys are fucking retarded.
What the fuck is with all the seriousness, really? Its just a fucking edgy game, just goes over the top with everything, even the race issues.

Watched Liriks stream from about half to Venus and cuscenes were fucking mental and one of the better parts of the game.
Like little Billy and black Billy talking why he doesnt like black people. Or the sick as fuck horny nazi chick getting an orgasm while chopping his head off.

Its all made just to be over the top,funny, cringy, you name it. I doubt Machine Games were making any statement with this rollercoaster.

BTW for those that complain there is not enough shooting and too many animated sequences.. after you finish main story you have many missions to do where you go, find and eliminate all the high ranking commanders. That is mostly shooting and very little animated cutscenes.

This game totally has gameplay! You just have to finish main story first!

ArchAngel

Arcane

This game totally has gameplay! You just have to finish main story first!
I bet you can skip cutscenes if they bother you so much.

Game is not Doom but none are anymore.
Expecting it to be is your own fault.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think half of you guys are fucking retarded.
What the fuck is with all the seriousness, really? Its just a fucking edgy game, just goes over the top with everything, even the race issues.

Watched Liriks stream from about half to Venus and cuscenes were fucking mental and one of the better parts of the game.
Like little Billy and black Billy talking why he doesnt like black people. Or the sick as fuck horny nazi chick getting an orgasm while chopping his head off.

Its all made just to be over the top,funny, cringy, you name it. I doubt Machine Games were making any statement with this rollercoaster.
That's the kicker, nobody can really say for sure whether it is trying to ape Inglorious Bastards or Man in the High Castle. It doesn't have the subtlety or wit to stay inbetween, so here we have a case of the narrative whiplashing from silly violent madness to serious tearjerking drama, where it's either one or the other. However, this results in the serious aspects being dragged down by the silliness where the world feels like its merely built to deliver jokes instead of feeling like an actual alternate timeline, whereas the comedic bits tend to feel out of place or simply ridiculous when you just witnessed some genocide 5 minutes ago, and it's not something suitable like black humor either.

The problem here is consistency. There's plenty of fiction out there I particularly like which manages to mix absurd humor and serious drama or mystery, but apparently TNC don't fit the bill. TNO does, I guess. The developers had this to say about it:

“We take what we're doing extremely seriously, which is interesting in a game like this, it's also incredibly over the top and crazy at many points, right? But we love that kind of fusion between things that are decidedly not real and things that are incredibly real, and we think that sort of breaking point between those values is extremely interesting to explore.

“There's a level of this that is our own creative process, where we think about what's right for the game, and what makes the best possible game, and we don't censor ourselves in that process. That doesn't mean that we're casual about it, we think a lot about it, and we think about what is right for the game. But once we've done that, then people can have their opinions about it, and that's fine. That's not really up to us, all that we can do is control what the game is.”

They relish the contrast between the Nazi ideology, a threat taken from real-world history, and the game’s absurdity, its “crazy” action, and unrealistic set pieces. Being able to take those moments and then build a serious story around them is key.

We did also have to ask about the political bent of the game - Matthies says that “the game will always be political in a way, but it's not a commentary on current events.” He told us that the team felt it would be wrong to “cartoonify” the Nazi ideology shown, and wouldn’t be right for the game.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I feel its purposely made over the top.

Just check the cutscene at 6.21. That script would never be approved in a SJW game.

Like mostly everyone else, they are in it for the money not to fight some internet wars.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I feel its purposely made over the top.

Just check the cutscene at 6.21. That script would never be approved in a SJW game.

Like mostly everyone else, they are in it for the money not to fight some internet wars.

Stuff like that gets approved if it's supposed to have a message. Doubt that scene was made in a vacuum just to be "edgy".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom