Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Warcraft: Dragon Desperation

Dr1f7

Scholar
^^ This is basically why I stopped raiding. Well that and I basically hated all the hardcore raider types and realized I was paying money to spend time with people I actively disliked.

But it was like: There's an epic fight happening... maybe. I can't see shit!

You're a healer? Have fun staring at health bars while ignoring all the sparkle shit flying everywhere.

You're a dps? Have fun staring at a monster's ankle/anus. Assuming you can see anything with all the sparkle shit blasting out your eyeballs.

You're a tank? Have fun staring at a monster's nutsack. Assuming you can see anything with all the sparkle shit blasting out your eyeballs.
always strange to me that they put so much effort into the art of the game, and it's usually pretty good and sometimes great, and nobody even sees anything because everyone has 10000000 addons airhorn circus music telling them how to play and ridiculous ui setup
then the same ppl joke about eve online being an excel simulator

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
^^ This is basically why I stopped raiding. Well that and I basically hated all the hardcore raider types and realized I was paying money to spend time with people I actively disliked.

But it was like: There's an epic fight happening... maybe. I can't see shit!

You're a healer? Have fun staring at health bars while ignoring all the sparkle shit flying everywhere.

You're a dps? Have fun staring at a monster's ankle/anus. Assuming you can see anything with all the sparkle shit blasting out your eyeballs.

You're a tank? Have fun staring at a monster's nutsack. Assuming you can see anything with all the sparkle shit blasting out your eyeballs.
always strange to me that they put so much effort into the art of the game, and it's usually pretty good and sometimes great, and nobody even sees anything because everyone has 10000000 addons airhorn circus music telling them how to play and ridiculous ui setup
then the same ppl joke about eve online being an excel simulator
And you can't get invited if you don't install all that bullshit that basically plays the fucking game for you. Move now. Click blinking square now.

Yeah, this is a great time guys. I feel like an epic hero.

Nevermind that with WoW's Mary Sue cast of better than u NPCs, I was like: Why am I even here? Why doesn't Fordring or someone go and fuck up Onyxia and Ragnaros?

They took WC3 and then instead of making you the hero unit, they made the NPCs the hero units and made you the peon.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nah, top raiding was always fun and a single reason to login and play with your guildmates. Had a lot of fun getting server firsts as a dps or healer (never tanked raids).

Edit: maybe I just got lucky with a guild. Had a lot of laughs and funny moments in ventrilo/ts/discord with them and almost zero drama.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
you're a healer? Have fun staring at health bars while ignoring all the sparkle shit flying everywhere.

As a druid I was all 3 of them and yeah, tanking huge enemies is the worst especially.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Tanking mythic+ was some of the best fun I have had in this game, especially surviving big pulls on blood DK. I would recommend it to anyone. In contrast, I despised tanking for raids. I can’t put my finger on why.

Tanking mythic+ was some of the best fun I have had in this game, especially surviving big pulls on blood DK. I would recommend it to anyone. In contrast, I despised tanking for raids. I can’t put my finger on why.

I enjoyed tanking as a prot paladin in mythic+ but always switched to ret DPS for raids. I think it's because:

1. Mythic dungeons are a little more sandboxy than raids. In dungeons, the trash actually matters, and trash can be interrupted/feared/disoriented/etc unlike a boss, and you have to decide which packs to pull and at what time. You can take different "routes" through a dungeon. The gameplay feels more involved, whereas as a raid tank you just run forward through the linear raid, mindlessly fight trash packs, and most the combat is against bosses who you can't do anything interesting with.

2. In a 5 man group, your contribution is much more noticeable, be it damage, or breaking a party member out of CC, or interrupting/CCing a dangerous enemy just in time, or tossing out a clutch heal, etc.

3. Making mistakes and learning the fight as a tank in mythic+ is much more forgiving than in raids. In M+, if you die and wipe, no biggie, you can just respawn and get back into it and people probably won't start shittalking or leaving. You can have 30+ deaths and still time the dungeon. Even if you go overtime, I've never seen anyone complain and leave. People stick it through to the end unless you're wiping over and over on the last boss like Yazma at the start of Dragonflight season 3. And people often helpfully point out what is going wrong. But if you die or make a mistake in a raid, then people start calling you a shit tank and kick and replace you, and if not, then people start leaving. People have little patience and can't be bothered to actually explain what's going on rather than talk shit. Tanking heroic Antorus PuGs as a Blood DK was pretty miserable, because you'd be doing fine until you get to Aggramar's quadruple hit combo where you had to quickly aim Aggramar back and forth between the raid to soak a swing and away from the raid, and if you screwed up you were immediately replaced and PMed trash.

That's probably why - despite every raid having 10 to 30 players and only need 2 tanks - tanks are far and away the least played role in raiding, when you'd think that tanks would be most in demand for M+ given that every 5 man group needs at least one tank.

EDIT

It is finished.

zzSebxU.jpeg

Signed up at ilevel 440. Had to join and leave the first three groups as it became apparent they were either being led by people who didn't know what they were doing, or inviting anybody who applied including lots of people who were egregiously undergeared (as in people in the 350s, without a note saying they deleted their jewelry). Finally found a serious group, and after forming for 15 minutes we were ready to go. 2 tanks and 18 DPS. No healers because most of the raid is using lifestorm and has leech. We went in and burned down the place until Malkorok, who was the first wall. Attempt after attempt, people did not leave the boss to go soak the purple puddles, causing wipes. After 20 minutes on him we finally downed him and moved on. Smooth sailing until Garrosh (so the raid up until this point took 2 hours 30 minutes), who we got stuck on for an hour and a half. First issue was people weren't leaving Garrosh to go kill the engineers who hurl the Iron Stars. Then people needed to stack. Towards the end we took off, unsocketed our prismatic gems, and deleted our jewelry to drop our ilevel below 370, which dropped Garrosh's HP from 7 billion to 1.9 billion, which was very nice. And then once people stacked together we got the kill.

3luNVSe.jpeg

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Who doesn't love the announcement of a date for an announcement?
They're not going to announce when the expansion releases on August 26th, they will actually release it on that day.
Ah, disregard then. I misunderstood the title... I can't even find joy in Blizz cinematics these days so I didn't watch it. :negative:

Hoodoo

Arcane
Didnt the dragon shit just come out? fucking blizzard lol
Same. Overpulling then fighting through despite the whines of people telling you not to is a good feeling. People rarely kick a tank.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Was hoping Xbox to announce that the wow subscription would be part of gamepass ultimate, especially when they started showing trailer bits from the original game and expansions. Missed opportunity by MS

Caim

Arcane
Dragonflight came out November 28th 2022, or one year and eight months ago. It helps that they only had two major patches before moving on to the next expansion.

Was hoping Xbox to announce that the wow subscription would be part of gamepass ultimate, especially when they started showing trailer bits from the original game and expansions. Missed opportunity by MS
Unironically the only way they could save WoW.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Same. Overpulling then fighting through despite the whines of people telling you not to is a good feeling. People rarely kick a tank.
One of my favorite dungeons in S1 was Algathar Academy, where the arcane elemental boss would kill my party and I would have to solo the boss on my Blood DK the last 5-10%. I would urge anyone to try Blood DK at least once, because watching your health bar bounce back and forth is a trip. There is something about surviving or stabilizing a bad situation/pull that feels so rewarding.

I love WoW's Mythic+ gameplay, and I cannot readily find it anywhere elsewhere. I just wish the UI would catch up and allow better communication on pulls, such as pre-marking packs ahead of time.

It would be a huge boost to WoW, but Blizz needs to resolve the new user experience first, because I could not imagine jumping on this game fresh.

Vyvian

Educated
I was wondering how long it would take them to give Xal'atath the western man jaw but they got there with that cinematic.

Minecrawler

Educated
It's the face of new Warcraft, Shaneekwa Lothar.

Almost a masterpiece, there isn't much you can add to it. Blizzard are true masters of degeneracy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom